Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

I've never bought that line of thinking and I don't know why people think that any experienced older player is going to improve younger players by default. We have coaches to mentor the youth, that's their job. People have been saying it about Long and Walcott for years and yet the likes of N'Lundulu, Obafemi and Tella have shown little, if any, improvement.

Thankfully it's a nonsense rumour which have just popped up on social media. I don't want Ross Barkley.

What about his scouse wit in the changing room?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

As he was about Gapko though ... 

No, not really.

He did not say we definitely had him, and from the subsequent reports in The Athletic and elsewhere backs up what Blackmore said at the time. 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I've never bought that line of thinking and I don't know why people think that any experienced older player is going to improve younger players by default. We have coaches to mentor the youth, that's their job. People have been saying it about Long and Walcott for years and yet the likes of N'Lundulu, Obafemi and Tella have shown little, if any, improvement.

Thankfully it's a nonsense rumour which have just popped up on social media. I don't want Ross Barkley.

We don’t know how bad they might have been without this ‘improvement’.

49 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Well I disagree, a player who you respect will give advice a young player, they are most likely to take that advice on. If you dont see that then Iam surprised.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Where experience has some value is in a crisis situation in the pitch, like at the end of the Chelsea game when we kept lumping it out deep rather than getting up the pitch and keeping hold of it. An older head can calm everyone down and get them focused.

I seem to also remember JWP giving the ball away in a silly position for a late goal last season in a way an older player wouldn't. Or Peter Crouch trying to score instead of take it to the corner during our relegation season.

But the idea that Ross Barkley will mentor the youth is not one I go along with

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

7 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Well I disagree, a player who you respect will give advice a young player, they are most likely to take that advice on. If you dont see that then Iam surprised.

This is a fair point - it's good to have some model pros in the dressing room who aren't "the teachers", ie the coaches. Not sure Barkley fits the mould though

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I think that is something that just happens at any well run club.

Whereas putting this concept forward as a fundamental/primary reason to sign Barkley (or to retain Walcott etc) is misguided.

James Ward-Prowse can mentor young players with the added advantage of, like, being a useful player in the first team.

Edited by CB Fry

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

I think that is something that just happens at any well run club.

Whereas putting this conceot forward as a fundamental reason to sign Barkley (or to retain Walcott etc) is misguided.

James Ward-Prowse can mentor young players with the added advantage of, like, being a useful player in the first team.

Yes, I agree the concept would be wrong, but having an experienced player helping a youngster with advice is of a high value.

The Walcott extended contract seemed mad and has become so even more now.

Some older players are good at helping the youngsters, others or not as its not in their personality. There is the added complication of the older players being threatened by a young player taking his place in the team.

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't believe anything that bloke says to be honest. Absolute bollocks.

I'm willing to be corrected but I thought Romano was a very credible journalist?

It is ridiculous if true though. Any inkling that we're selling him and City will be on the phone to exercise their buyback clause, which the player doesn't want at this stage, so we're back to square one. City would also be furious and would never sell us a young talent again

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 3

Just now, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I'm willing to be corrected but I thought Romano was a very credible journalist?

It is ridiculous if true though. Any inkling that we're selling him and City will be on the phone to exercise their buyback clause, which the player doesn't want at this stage, so we're back to square one

He is very credible and Secret Scout who has connections at Chelsea has confirmed it also. It just shows how scattergun Chelsea's recruitment has been since Boehly came in and they got rid of Granovskaia and Cech. Willing to pay 50m for a 18 year old with a handful of PL appearances is madness and smacks of desperation after missing out on Sangare

30 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

It is ridiculous if true though. Any inkling that we're selling him and City will be on the phone to exercise their buyback clause, which the player doesn't want at this stage, so we're back to square one. City would also be furious and would never sell us a young talent again

The bloke has nearly 12 million followers on Twitter. He is as credible as you can get in his transfer info

• Like 1

I dont see how chelsea would get anywhere because both us and City would have to agree to the sale and that would never happen.

Why didnt chelsea make a direct bid to city before us ? City wouldnt entertain it and the player wouldnt be interested in not getting any game time.

There are far too many unprofessional gobshite football agents that like their arses being tickled by sports journos.

• Like 1

Wow! instant pathway return!

But madness to sell with no replacement in place, and when pushing Romeu out the door. You'd hope the player would prefer first team football here, rather than a squad berth at Chelsea. But perhaps the size of fee & wage increase, Euro Ball football would make quite a difference. It would be interesting to see if City wanted to exercise their £40 million option, to keep Chelsea away at £50m. Kind of derails their deals with us, in one way, if they have to make such a big outlay 5 mins after selling him.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson

54 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

I dont see how chelsea would get anywhere because both us and City would have to agree to the sale and that would never happen.

Why didnt chelsea make a direct bid to city before us ? City wouldnt entertain it and the player wouldnt be interested in not getting any game time.

There are far too many unprofessional gobshite football agents that like their arses being tickled by sports journos.

Without trying to go all MLG…. City don’t have to agree anything. They have a buy back clause so theoretically could get him for lower than the market rate (whatever fee agreed was), but we can accept other bids from other clubs. 

Simply means if they match the buy back clause (say £40m - as an example, I’ve no idea what it is), we have to accept their offer. We could still accept offers for more or less from other clubs, if we want. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dman said:

Without trying to go all MLG…. City don’t have to agree anything. They have a buy back clause so theoretically could get him for lower than the market rate (whatever fee agreed was), but we can accept other bids from other clubs. 

Simply means if they match the buy back clause (say £40m - as an example, I’ve no idea what it is), we have to accept their offer. We could still accept offers for more or less from other clubs, if we want. 

& to go #FullMLG, we would get less than £40m if City have a sell-on clause too.

On 04/09/2022 at 07:59, Sunglasses Ron said:

Haha…

Former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp says he told nephew Frank Lampard to sign Dele Alli for Everton, but admits the 26-year-old Englishman was a 'disaster' before moving to Besiktas.

I imagine Everton will pretend their FFP issues will go on for ages, to stop Harry having any more influence on transfers. 🙂

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
another typo
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Dman said:

I think I read City's buy back clause isn't active until after two seasons, but they have a first refusal option in the meantime - if, say, a club makes us a tempting offer in the summer, City are given the opportunity to match the offer and agree terms with the player ahead of anyone else. 

Who knows the precise details? I suspect we'll find out sooner rather than later - if Lavia continues to play at the level he's shown so far, his stay here is going to be extremely brief. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Haha…

Former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp says he told nephew Frank Lampard to sign Dele Alli for Everton, but admits the 26-year-old Englishman was a 'disaster' before moving to Besiktas.

Well there's nothing like opening your gob and dropping your nephew in the brown stuff is there 'Arry!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Dman said:

There may well be a clause stopping any sale and buy back is after two seasons and city get first refusal.

Chelsea could have bought before us but city clearly wouldnt sell to them.

Making an alleged offer on the last day as well. 

What is exciting though is with the return of Dibling, in our U18 team we could have an attacking line-up of Ballard, Morgan, Doyle (when back fit), Amo-Ameyaw, and Dibling + Edwards, Payne (I know he’s an RB but he’s excellent going forward) and Pearce - I think these 3 are too old for the U18s but still exciting. We will see how the league goes but from the looks of It we will deff be getting our better youngsters down from the B team for the U18 cup matches but I would think they would be mainly pushing for the B team this year rather than U18 league - to get them used to a higher level

Edited by daldridge7
Spelling
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

Is there any chance that Dom Ballard is good enough to take advantage of our inability to sign a striker and improve our team?

Don't think he's ready. Still got a boy's physique. No chance he can play a lone striker in men's football. He'll get eaten alive.

18 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Gone the way of Dele....from regular in the England team to playing for a mid tier team in Europe. Don't think he expected to end up at Nice.

Not many better places to live in Europe though. Earning a few million a year on the cote d'azur is a pretty decent fall from grace.

Edited by verlaine1979
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2022 at 23:08, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Wow! instant pathway return!

But madness to sell with no replacement in place, and when pushing Romeu out the door. You'd hope the player would prefer first team football here, rather than a squad berth at Chelsea. But perhaps the size of fee & wage increase, Euro Ball football would make quite a difference. It would be interesting to see if City wanted to exercise their £40 million option, to keep Chelsea away at £50m. Kind of derails their deals with us, in one way, if they have to make such a big outlay 5 mins after selling him.

I don’t think it’s fair to say we pushed Romeu out of the door. I’ve seen this narrative a few times and it doesn’t stack up with what either Ralph or Oriol said.

10 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

I don’t think it’s fair to say we pushed Romeu out of the door. I’ve seen this narrative a few times and it doesn’t stack up with what either Ralph or Oriol said.

IIRC Oriol dropped a hint about new pastures last season. Possibly contract extensions were being discussed. No doubt the club were keen to lower the wage bill. We've seen a number of players flit in and out of the team. Along with form, and in the back end of last season desperation, I think part of that has been down to off field things such as the contracts.

Lavia has started very brightly, and I think the club has made it clear that not only would there not be a new contract at equal or better terms, but that minutes would now be limited.

Romeu's form also dipped a little towards the end of last season. I think that it had a wider impact on the team, due to his importance. Injury, a season up to that point of pressing, general loss of form in a constantly beaten team could well be factors, and even all the factors. And possibly just that little loss of an edge from talks not going anywhere as well.

I'd not expect either Ralph or Oriel to say anything publically. They are both professionals. It's not an uncommon situation in football either, where every player has an move on date. It's not uncommon for contract talks not to work out either.

I think SR and Ralph have  seen how hard it can be to move players on decent Premier League wages on. Also how that impacts improving the squad and the resources to bring others in. Romeu's probably the most regular starter of that group of players with contracts running down.

At least Oriel got dropped for his replacement. Che got dropped for the attacker who never even joined us, as an extra motivation towards a move.

No doubt Romeu could still do a good job for us. With Lavia now injured, I think we were, not for the first time, all too keen to move people on in favour of the next, bright young player coming through. It's a long, tough season and the youngsters are all going to need breaks at some point. I'd have hoped that we'd have seen the sense of keeping both, even prior to Lavia's injury for what's a key position for us. That is second guessing what Romeu wanted in any talks though. Hopefully the versatility of AMN will help us out here. 

That's how I've seen it anyway. Hopefully, it's not a sign I'm going to think tin foil hats are fashionable tomorrow. 🙂

• Like 1

On 04/09/2022 at 10:35, SaintsLoyal said:

There may well be a clause stopping any sale and buy back is after two seasons and city get first refusal.

Chelsea could have bought before us but city clearly wouldnt sell to them.

Making an alleged offer on the last day as well. 

I’ve always wondered what happens if the player doesn’t want to go to the club with the buy back clause? You can’t force Someone to sign a contract  or is that all agreed upfront with the player as well As the clubs?

2 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Not many better places to live in Europe though. Earning a few million a year on the cote d'azur is a pretty decent fall from grace.

He's only 28 and seemingly a spent force in top level football. He could have achieved so much more, both on the pitch and financially than he has/is, retired aged 35 and then retired to his own Caribbean island.

1 hour ago, a1ex2001 said:

I’ve always wondered what happens if the player doesn’t want to go to the club with the buy back clause? You can’t force Someone to sign a contract  or is that all agreed upfront with the player as well As the clubs?

Not sure. Alexander Isak left Dortmund after a rough time to join Sociedad with a buy back clause inserted into his contract, but when Dortmund were rumoured to be planning to exercise it, he made it clear he had no intention of returning - ever. 

The two clubs reached an agreement to remove the £30m clause for about a £5m settlement.

• Like 1