Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

You'd think he'd know better since Parker was sacked for that.

Unless he's trying to get himself canned? Gets to avoid a relegation battle and also gets a pay off

Definitely trying to get himself fired, I expect he fancies the Villa job. Supposedly he has a massive termination clause (£20m+) and Leicester are skint.

Just now, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Signed a lot of promising players but not signing a decent forward might well come back to haunt us. Adams and Armstrong are  good players but 38 games?

Like it was said before only 12 games until the next transfer window,so hopefully get through those games without injury's and hopefully get someone in then

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Wouldn’t be surprised, other comments from him suggest that he’s lost the dressing room, lots of infighting and players wanting to get away.

I guess it was the wages/ lengthy contracts that managed to keep them mostly together as it was. But as they slip further down, more and more will be making noises.

On the back of Parker's comments, it looks like a nudge to his employers to pay him off.

4 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I wonder if the Redmond deal will go through.

we had to terminate his contract (and pay him a chunk of cash) for him to agree a deal with them after the windows closes as a free agent. Not sure we did that. I guess they could just agree to pay all his wages and a signing on fee to cover the loyalty bonus he was probably losing. Not sure they wanted to do that.

I would say we're still that 'game changing forward' short, that's my biggest disappointment from it all. It is a worry because we're now relying on Adam Armstrong and Che Adams to hit the goals for us, which they've never really done before. Or the two kids in Mara and Edioze turn out to be superstars, which is of course possible.

Onto the good things, we've got rid of so much lingering un-wanted players which has been as much of a positive as our signings. Stephens, Valery, Bednarek, Long, Forster. We've refreshed each of those with better and younger versions, so it's impressive.

Very sad to see Romeu leave, but I can see why. AMN coming in provides us extra quality given we have Lavia in there too, who is going to be a superstar. 

So, GK, CB, CM...absolutely top work done, evolved those areas so well with much better players.

Attack - Aribo, Mara, Edioze - additions there for sure, but we need Edioze to have that Broja impact ideally!

8/10 window for me.  If we'd have got a game changing 'experienced' forward over the line it would have been a 20/10.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Just to confirm, you can all say how shit he is over and over again but wah wah wah wah he's said on the Villa website that he pleased to sign for Villa how dare he.

As I said, get over yourselves.

Huh?

I don't know what point you're getting at. You're in the total minority here!

• Like 1

Great window, some really exciting signings. Would have loved to see a goalscorer BUT we have made some signings with apparent creativity who hopefully can create more chances and chip in with some goals and assists which is something we have massively lacked. Early signs of Mara imo, he would score at least the same amount of goals as Broja did if given the same game time. 

• Like 1

Pretty decent window overall, can’t complain about any of the incomings or outgoings. 9/10 I’d say, another striker would have been nice but not essential IMO.

As for Bednarek, I don’t care what he said or how ‘big’ Villa are. Like any player really gives a sh*t how big a ground is or what trophies they won 40 years ago, anyway. I’m just glad he’s gone, thoroughly mediocre defender at best and I think their fans will turn on him pretty quickly.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Signed a lot of promising players but not signing a decent forward might well come back to haunt us. Adams and Armstrong are  good players but 38 games?

Mara and Edozie are both attackers that we’ve signed.

Signing a slightly higher profile player is no guarantee of success either.

January will give us options too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Very tough to gauge the window until we see what level the 2 city kids are at. Maitland niles at least seems a decent Romeu replacement. Need to really hope Che stays fit.

My feeling on the two kids from City is that they are very much for the future. I think they'll be playing for the second string for some time but we'll see.

Got to say that I am excited about CC. Hopefully he can live up to his youtube video and be a monster, dominating forwards. I am perhaps hoping for too much, but if he can win some headers he'll be an improvement on Valery at least.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I would say we're still that 'game changing forward' short, that's my biggest disappointment from it all. It is a worry because we're now relying on Adam Armstrong and Che Adams to hit the goals for us, which they've never really done before. Or the two kids in Mara and Edioze turn out to be superstars, which is of course possible.

Onto the good things, we've got rid of so much lingering un-wanted players which has been as much of a positive as our signings. Stephens, Valery, Bednarek, Long, Forster. We've refreshed each of those with better and younger versions, so it's impressive.

Very sad to see Romeu leave, but I can see why. AMN coming in provides us extra quality given we have Lavia in there too, who is going to be a superstar. 

So, GK, CB, CM...absolutely top work done, evolved those areas so well with much better players.

Attack - Aribo, Mara, Edioze - additions there for sure, but we need Edioze to have that Broja impact ideally!

8/10 window for me.  If we'd have got a game changing 'experienced' forward over the line it would have been a 20/10.

Personally never thought Valery was rubbish…

• Like 2

Just now, Chez said:

Got to say that I am excited about CC. Hopefully he can live up to his youtube video and be a monster, dominating forwards. I am perhaps hoping for too much, but if he can win some headers he'll be an improvement on Valery at least.

Surely he's the bednarek replacement and he must be better than him surely. 

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Sounds like we are done then according to the Athletic. Quite hard to rate the transfer window as a whole without looking at the three areas of the team. 

Defensively we have had an amazing window. We've pretty much sorted the defense and strengthened in every area. I'd be tempted to give it a 10 but certainly a 9.

In midfield we have made some decent signings and have made a real upgrade with Lavia. Shame we couldn't offload a few more of the deadwood but superb that we kept jwp for another year. I'd give us an 8.5-9

Attacking wise we've bought in Mara who looks promising and Aribo who looks quite good but maybe a bit inconsistent. Overall we are weaker in this position and I can't be the only one who is very disappointed that we couldn't get anyone else over the line. We probably won't get relegated but we won't do as well as we could have done with that extra signing which imo is a missed opportunity. I think I'd give us a 6.5 or 7 in this area and I think there will be games like united where we rue not getting someone in. I expect the mood would have been very different had we not had such a good start to the season. 

Overall probably 7.5-8 which is still really good but then it probably needed to be given where we were at the end of the season. I wonder if we tried for anyone else after Gakpo fell through. 

How exactly are we weaker in attack than last season? Ok we don't have broja so comparing with the start of last season you maybe have a case of you ignore aribo, but if you look at the second half of the season we've lost long (so fucking what) and a can't be arsed broja and replaced with aribo who looks like he's got something about him and mara who has something a bit special. I do wonder if some people will ever be happy....

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

My feeling on the two kids from City is that they are very much for the future. I think they'll be playing for the second string for some time but we'll see.

Larios, perhaps but I don’t think we’ve just spent £10m on Edozie to beef up our youth team.

• Like 2

A very good window on paper. Obviously we won't know how good for sure until later in the season. Getting Gakpo would've put us in 10/10 territory but looks like we may have been scuppered by a van Gaal intervention having agreed a deal in principle with the club and player. Hey ho. 

We got rid of Stephens, Bednarek and Valery. Almost Redmond and Walcott but I feel deeply concerned no striker signed.

We have had since May yet none in to replace Broja- Mara is Long replacement really.

PSV played us but we should have had someone sooner. I don’t believe with our scouts we couldn’t find one striker that could score 6-8 goals like Broja did.

Like  AMN signing I have never seen C-C play so won’t boo him until at least half time.

Good deals but no striker leaves me feeling disappointed really 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

How exactly are we weaker in attack than last season? Ok we don't have broja so comparing with the start of last season you maybe have a case of you ignore aribo, but if you look at the second half of the season we've lost long (so fucking what) and a can't be arsed broja and replaced with aribo who looks like he's got something about him and mara who has something a bit special. I do wonder if some people will ever be happy....

Ridiculous thing to say given I have rated the window a 7.5-8. I've laid out clearly what would have made me happier. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

I think that too. £16m on two youth team players is some investment. We haven't splurged the cash like that since Best and Blackstock

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Larios, perhaps but I don’t think we’ve just spent £10m on Edozie to beef up our youth team.

Hope you're right and obviously Joe Shields knows both lads very well. Just wonder if they might be a little lightweight for the Prem in terms of this season.

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

We got rid of Stephens, Bednarek and Valery. Almost Redmond and Walcott but I feel deeply concerned no striker signed.

We have had since May yet none in to replace Broja- Mara is Long replacement really.

PSV played us but we should have had someone sooner. I don’t believe with our scouts we couldn’t find one striker that could score 6-8 goals like Broja did.

Like  AMN signing I have never seen C-C play so won’t boo him until at least half time.

Good deals but no striker leaves me feeling disappointed really 

That's pretty much how I feel. You'll receive some flack on here for it but it's an entirely reasonable view. 

The cheek of Bournemouth. 😂 I wonder how that conversation went. Bournemouth: "We want to sign one of your contracted players, Nathan Redmond." Southampton: "Okay, what's your first offer?" Bournemouth: "Can you terminate his contract?" You're a Premier League club, not League Two anymore even if you haven't worked on your infrastructure.

As for us, we've had a good window, a forward away from an excellent window. I mean, we are relying quite a bit on Adams staying fit, as Mara is still potential. Our first eleven stays in this league comfortably, but an injury to one or two of Adams, Armstrong or Mara would leave us quite short. I don't know much about Edozie, but I suppose he could be like Lavia, who we all expected to be a squad player when he signed and he could provide the desired competition to Elyounoussi, or A. Armstrong if he continues on the left.

Bazunu's looked solid in goal, which was key, Aribo's had flashes of brilliance, as has Mara, Lavia's arguably been our best and most consistent player in this start of the season and ABK has made our defence so much better. I don't know a lot about Caleta-Car, but his name has popped up on here every window, so hopefully he can stop us from shitting ourselves if one of Salisu, or ABK get injured. Same for Maitland-Niles, a good, experienced player to have in the squad.

As for the notable outgoings. Very sad to see Romeu go. Our best moments of the last two years have been with him at the top of his game, but unfortunately our worst moments have also been with him either injured, or just struggling to keep up with the game. Signed as a squad, but was so much more.

On the other hand, you have Bednarek... A player who bottled an FA Cup quarter-final. Okay, he's not THAT bad, he's a squad centre-back, who found himself as a starter because we didn't look to invest anything. The arrival of ABK makes you realise how much better's out there than Bednarek. He can make all his big club comments and how its the right place to improve. They're 19th, we're 9th. It's a step down in footballing terms and we've already seen Ings' career drop off from the same move. My only issue is that we can't face him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

Only downside to Bednarek being only a loan is that we can't play against him and fill our boots!

Reminds me of Hoedt.   Thinks he's a better player than he is and seems to have a blunt, self absorbed personality.   Should have spent more time with Romeu while he was here to learn a bit of humility.  Can't see him ever pulling on a Saints shirt again.    CC is a massive upgrade.

Fbml0MkXoAMyO-a?format=jpg&name=large

Decent window overall but I'm not convinced that front line is enough to stave off one of Ralph's inevitable streaks of shite that seem to happen every season. Happy to be proven wrong.

Hopefully we'll have a few irons in the fire ahead of January (and we won't be leaving it until the last minute)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Fbml0MkXoAMyO-a?format=jpg&name=large

Decent window overall but I'm not convinced that front line is enough to stave off one of Ralph's inevitable streaks of shite that seem to happen every season. Happy to be proven wrong.

Hopefully we'll have a few irons in the fire ahead of January (and we won't be leaving it until the last minute)

A good view of it, and I completely agree I think we’re lacking in the wide areas. 

Other than that a brilliant window, maybe Edozie is more ready than we believe and can be the gem attacker we’ve needed.

• Like 1

Time will tell whether it was the striker or lack of chances created that was the big issue with our lack of goals. 

One thing I do know is i am more excited by Mara, Arribo and Edozie than I have ever been about Walcott, Redmond or Long. 

Worrying that some unlucky injuries could put a strain on striking options, but injury free, I think we have forward players now who will create more than those we have had previously. 

But we shall see 

• Like 4

I don’t understand the assertion that, ‘Mara is the Long replacement’, just because he cost a relatively low fee. That hasn’t been written down anywhere, we’re just naming strikers who’ve come and gone.

However you want to try and rationalise it, the fact is that Broja, Long and AA scored a combined 9 League goals last season. If we’ve found a better role for AA, 5 goals each for him and Mara this year really is an achievable target to improve on last season. That’s before we’ve even entertained the idea of goals from Edozie and Aribo.

I can’t see an argument for us being weaker up front, I really can’t.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

A good view of it, and I completely agree I think we’re lacking in the wide areas. 

Other than that a brilliant window, maybe Edozie is more ready than we believe and can be the gem attacker we’ve needed.

Both Armstrong's, Djenepo and Edozie will play either side I imagine. We will not see Walcott or Redmond bar the craziest of injury crises.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

I don’t understand the assertion that, ‘Mara is the Long replacement’, just because he cost a relatively low fee. That hasn’t been written down anywhere, we’re just naming strikers who’ve come and gone.

However you want to try and rationalise it, the fact is that Broja, Long and AA scored a combined 9 League goals last season. If we’ve found a better role for AA, 5 goals each for him and Mara this year really is an achievable target to improve on last season. That’s before we’ve even entertained the idea of goals from Edozie and Aribo.

I actually agree. Teams outside the top 6 rarely have strikers that get huge amounts of goals anyway. Adams is on course to hit double figures which is very good, and we look like we'll get a lot more goals from other areas of the pitch this season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Ralph has repeatedly mentioned how in need of a striker we are. The manager has obviously believed it was an important piece of the jigsaw. I believe him. 

• Like 3

Best window in a long time, even if it is a shame to leave 30m burning a hole in our pocket. A January window post-World Cup is unlikely to be a high value shopping opportunity, so this is probably it until the summer.

I don't think JWP will reach double figures for goals again, and we've lost Broja's six goals. So I'd say conservatively we've got to find somewhere in the order of 10-15 additional goals beyond what JWP/Che will get and the handful we can expect from the usual suspects in defence. Hopefully between them, Mara, Edozie, Aribo, AMN and Adam Armstrong can get that many - only need to get three each over the season to get us there.

• Like 1