Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, Kings Chase Saint said:

I was under the impression that "breaking even" on transfers was what we did in the past,

My understanding is that we will still operate on a self-sustaining basis, but with better cashflow (i.e. we can buy before we sell, rather than the other way around)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, trousers said:

My understanding is that we will still operate on a self-sustaining basis, but with better cashflow (i.e. we can buy before we sell, rather than the other way around)

Better start spending the £80 million we'll get for JWP then. 😜

43 minutes ago, trousers said:

Be interested to know how we will improve our cashflow? Better structuring of transfer funds maybe, but not sure what else will improve it since buying before selling won’t 

19 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Be interested to know how we will improve our cashflow? Better structuring of transfer funds maybe, but not sure what else will improve it since buying before selling won’t 

There was about £26m of the loan left in the bank (in the last set of accounts). There was also outstanding money owed for some players. The Prem money is paid around now I suspect, so not sure cash flow would be an issue this summer, but balancing the books is a different story.

9 hours ago, Nolan said:

Goztepe media reporting Ankersen and Gagliardi flew out to Spain for transfer talks for Southampton.

Shot in the dark but Sime Vrsaljko. He’s available on a free and we will likely want to add a RB as Livramento is out till atleast December. He sat on the bench for a good part of the year for Atlético before getting more minutes near the end. I’d imagine he would like to end up somewhere where he will get a lot of game time before the World Cup with Croatia. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

https://twitter.com/Plettigoal/status/1537881033961377795

@Plettigoal: News #Awoniyi: He’s keen to leave Union Berlin in summer. He wants to join a club in the Premier League. Nottingham is (next to Niakhaté) highly interested. Talks took place. For a move to #NFFC he can use a release clause of around €20m! Several clubs interested. @SkySportDE 🇳🇬

It's been fairly quiet on him since the news of our interest a little while back.

9 minutes ago, Dusic said:

https://twitter.com/Plettigoal/status/1537881033961377795

@Plettigoal: News #Awoniyi: He’s keen to leave Union Berlin in summer. He wants to join a club in the Premier League. Nottingham is (next to Niakhaté) highly interested. Talks took place. For a move to #NFFC he can use a release clause of around €20m! Several clubs interested. @SkySportDE 🇳🇬

I prefer us to go and get Junior Adamu from RB Saltzburg.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

What I don’t get is why we pulled out of Dragoeski due to work permit issues when he’s a full international and we’ve signed this guy who has onlY played at u21 level for the same country 🤔

sounds like BS to me

Did we though ? Not read that before.

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

The Italian has taken on a role as head of business development with Sport Republic and will help the outfit identify new clubs across Europe that may be fit for acquisition.

Exactly, so why is he with Ankersen for transfer talks ?

Leeds are becoming a bit of a nemesis for players:

This, re: The possible Kalvin Phillips deal: 

City youngsters could be used as makeweights in deals this summer.

As reported by The Athletic, Belgian starlet Romeo Lavia has already caught the eyes of Southampton and Leeds United this summer, which could aid the pursuit of Phillips.

It is also believed that Leeds are very keen to bring in 19-year-old midfielder James McAtee, whether permanently or on loan. City plan to keep him close to their first-team unit for next season and are not thought to be open to any departure, but their resolve may be tested should the Phillips pursuit drag on. Brighton had been interested in McAtee’s signature last summer, but it is not thought to be an option currently.

There are plenty of other young players in the ranks at the Etihad who could come into the equation.

9 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

So do we make any money from Mane sale initially? Potentially in the future if add ons are hit or not at all?

Probably nothing as it looks like he's being sold for the same as they bought him for, so there is no profit on the transfer.

I think we've done fine on Mane add-ons anyway = he's played loads, scored loads and they've won everything. When you sell to Liverpool that's the main thing, Liverpool aren't signing players to sell on to someone else for more money later. 

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Liverpool aren't signing players to sell on to someone else for more money later.

Arguably, the pandemic cost them that chance.  I’m pretty sure they planned to sell one of Mane or Salah to Real or Barca a year or 2 ago for big cash if they hadn’t run into £ problems.

29 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Leeds are becoming a bit of a nemesis for players:

This, re: The possible Kalvin Phillips deal: 

City youngsters could be used as makeweights in deals this summer.

As reported by The Athletic, Belgian starlet Romeo Lavia has already caught the eyes of Southampton and Leeds United this summer, which could aid the pursuit of Phillips.

It is also believed that Leeds are very keen to bring in 19-year-old midfielder James McAtee, whether permanently or on loan. City plan to keep him close to their first-team unit for next season and are not thought to be open to any departure, but their resolve may be tested should the Phillips pursuit drag on. Brighton had been interested in McAtee’s signature last summer, but it is not thought to be an option currently.

There are plenty of other young players in the ranks at the Etihad who could come into the equation.

Leeds hard to judge. Have made some decent looking signings, with more to come but also likely to lose Phillips and Raphinha.

The relegation battle is going to be brutal this season as not likely to be any total whipping boys and all the teams near the bottom last season will spend heavily (probably excluding us).

Leeds look a bit like Villa last year IMO, everyone knowing their best player (in this case two) are going and they are basically spending the money in advance to soften the blow. 

You'd think considering they had loads of injuries last year they will just be a bit better next year, as they wont miss Phillips that much as he missed so many games, but Raphina did score a big chunk of their goals so will be a big miss. 

Edited by tajjuk

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Arguably, the pandemic cost them that chance.  I’m pretty sure they planned to sell one of Mane or Salah to Real or Barca a year or 2 ago for big cash if they hadn’t run into £ problems.

I think the phrase "planned to" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

If Real came in with £100m and the player wants to go then it happens.

Thats not quite the same as the club working to a buy-to-sell approach like we do.

33 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I think the phrase "planned to" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

If Real came in with £100m and the player wants to go then it happens.

Thats not quite the same as the club working to a buy-to-sell approach like we do.

I wasn’t comparing us to Liverpool. But Liverpool aren’t stupid.  They would know the Mane / Salah demands don’t match their wage structure & they would’ve cashed in on 1 of them (in my  opinion) had the pandemic not hit.

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I wasn’t comparing us to Liverpool. But Liverpool aren’t stupid.  They would know the Mane / Salah demands don’t match their wage structure & they would’ve cashed in on 1 of them (in my  opinion) had the pandemic not hit.

You'll have to remind me of all the players Liverpool have cashed in on in the last five years.

Don't say Coutinho as he fits exactly the scenario I cover in my post above. Liverpool rejected offers and he went only when the player was very clear he wanted to leave. Literally the opposite of cashing in.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

Interesting thing to note about this guy is that he can also play RB and LB, so he potentially gives us that Tino cover as well. Two birds with one stone.

Could be a sensible move, he certainly looks a very cultured CB to me on those videos, which obviously you can't read too much from! I haven't seen much of him before though.

23 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

This certainly has the hallmarks of the sort of signing we’d look to make, young, good enough once to make it to a big (mega) team, but unproven (and therefore affordable). Plus the resale potential.

Can’t get excited by it though, we already have the young/potential/resale CB in Salisu. We need experience alongside him, not another gamble no matter how the stats/algorithms/tea leaves line up.

Obviously know little about him, but from what I’ve read would prefer Niakhate (from Mainz, linked with Forest). A bit older but four years in the Bundesliga rather than 20 games farmed out on loan, and have read Niakhate is a bit of an organiser at the back for his team.

The Hungarian CB , Szalai , was meant to be in the same price bracket, only 24 and international experience. But no doubt we’ll try and be clever in our scouting, ending up with a novice pairing at the back. Bazunu could be in for a baptism of fire. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Agreed, I’d like to have a decent experienced CB alongside Salisu. I think we’ll only sign one CB this summer, unless Salisu goes. Bednarek and Valery may go, but Stephens and Lyanco maybe likely aren't going anywhere, so we don’t have too much to work with. So if this lad is the CB we get in and we do lose Bednarek, it’s a pretty young pairing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Agreed, I’d like to have a decent experienced CB alongside Salisu. I think we’ll only sign one CB this summer, unless Salisu goes. Bednarek and Valery may go, but Stephens and Lyanco maybe likely aren't going anywhere, so we don’t have too much to work with. So if this lad is the CB we get in and we do lose Bednarek, it’s a pretty young pairing.

I hope we'll get an experienced CB too. As you say, we've got Salisu as our upcoming guy.

Maybe (hopefully!) we'll see Stephens and Bednarek move on, giving us room for a CB youngster and an older head. 

16 minutes ago, Badger said:

This certainly has the hallmarks of the sort of signing we’d look to make, young, good enough once to make it to a big (mega) team, but unproven (and therefore affordable). Plus the resale potential.

Can’t get excited by it though, we already have the young/potential/resale CB in Salisu. We need experience alongside him, not another gamble no matter how the stats/algorithms/tea leaves line up.

Obviously know little about him, but from what I’ve read would prefer Niakhate (from Mainz, linked with Forest). A bit older but four years in the Bundesliga rather than 20 games farmed out on loan, and have read Niakhate is a bit of an organiser at the back for his team.

The Hungarian CB , Szalai , was meant to be in the same price bracket, only 24 and international experience. But no doubt we’ll try and be clever in our scouting, ending up with a novice pairing at the back. Bazunu could be in for a baptism of fire. 

I'm not expecting anything else though to be honest. If we were looking for 'experience' at the back, then Tarkowski and Mee were available. The fact we weren't even sniffing for those guys kind of showed me our intentions. We seem to be operating in that below 25 bracket, nothing above that. Basically the gamble zone.

It would be nice to add some experience but I don't think that is the clubs intention. Any big investment is going to go into players who they can re-sale for significantly more in the years to come, that's the model. No chance doing that with Tarkowski or Mee which is why we've steer clear of those sorts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Romeo looks like decent cover for Romeu.

Hope it doesn’t lead to the CB’s and GK asking the inevitable question 

… wherefore (the fuck) art thou ?

As someone else posted last week noholdsbard#

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm not expecting anything else though to be honest. If we were looking for 'experience' at the back, then Tarkowski and Mee were available. The fact we weren't even sniffing for those guys kind of showed me our intentions. We seem to be operating in that below 25 bracket, nothing above that. Basically the gamble zone.

It would be nice to add some experience but I don't think that is the clubs intention. Any big investment is going to go into players who they can re-sale for significantly more in the years to come, that's the model. No chance doing that with Tarkowski or Mee which is why we've steer clear of those sorts.

Unless your name is Theo!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You’re probably right, but this is misguided in my view and false economy.

Put some experience in there (esp MF and CB) will only assist the development of the younger players. Throw them in to simply ‘sink or swim’ and many will struggle.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Well Caleta-Car is 25 ;)

I think there’s an element of “experience but not utter shit and old” - which is the bracket our experienced players now sit in.

Experience maybe isn’t what we’re after. Probably more strength and leadership is what we need.

Someone that can rally the team, encourage them, spur them on, shout at them, show some aggression.

If we put a player like that at CB and another at CM then we’ll fix s couple of big holes extremely quickly.
And that itself could mean the difference between finishing 17th or finishing 8th (based on recent seasons).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Experienced doesn’t necessarily = good 

I don’t think anyone would suggest getting someone crap in just because they have experience.it’s just good to have a proper starter with experience in key positions through the spine of the team.

We’ve got that with JWP at CM. A proper “captain” at CB would be really good addition. But they need to be good enough too. Not easy to find and maybe not cheap, but a key addition IMO, especially so when the club is focused on bringing on lots of young talent in other areas.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I don’t think anyone would suggest getting someone crap in just because they have experience.it’s just good to have a proper starter with experience in key positions through the spine of the team.

We’ve got that with JWP at CM. A proper “captain” at CB would be really good addition. But they need to be good enough too. Not easy to find and maybe not cheap, but a key addition IMO, especially so when the club is focused on bringing on lots of young talent in other areas.

Isn’t it odd that as soon as anyone mentions experience someone is quick to jump on and list our crap older players. It’s pretty obvious why you need a few experienced heads in the team to play alongside this YHGTI, it’s pretty obvious that for over five year now we’ve lacked a leader centre back and we’ve wasted over 50m trying to be clever trying and failing to do it a different way. 

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Experienced players in our squad: Bednarek, McCarthy, Long, Walcott, Redmond

Less experienced players in our squad: KWP, Tino, Salisu, Perraud

Experienced doesn’t necessarily = good 

That's sort of nonsense. We signed bednarek when he was (21?), Redmond (23?), Shane long was a good experienced player we signed(under Koeman) who we have then kept way too long. Yes we can sign good younf players. No one is suggesting a team full of 30 yr olds but more of a balance. Stuart Armstrong & Danny ings were both 27 when we signned them and both have been/were very good for us. Ok, sign a 20 yr old keeper but maybe get a CB with a little more experience/know how to complement that rather than a 22 yr old.

On 17/06/2022 at 11:12, Nolan said:

Goztepe media reporting Ankersen and Gagliardi flew out to Spain for transfer talks for Southampton.

I think I’ve solved it.

FYI, TransferRoom CEO & Founder is a Jonas Ankersen.  Explains why they got an interview with Rasmus (MLG posted the tweet on the Sport Republic Thread).

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

That's sort of nonsense. We signed bednarek when he was (21?), Redmond (23?), Shane long was a good experienced player we signed(under Koeman) who we have then kept way too long. Yes we can sign good younf players. No one is suggesting a team full of 30 yr olds but more of a balance. Stuart Armstrong & Danny ings were both 27 when we signned them and both have been/were very good for us. Ok, sign a 20 yr old keeper but maybe get a CB with a little more experience/know how to complement that rather than a 22 yr old.

The point he is correctly making is that having ‘experience’ is meaningless if they aren’t very good. I don’t think he is referring to how experienced they were when they signed. They’re all experienced now and are noticeably substandard.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

You’re probably right, but this is misguided in my view and false economy.

Put some experience in there (esp MF and CB) will only assist the development of the younger players. Throw them in to simply ‘sink or swim’ and many will struggle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally sold on the idea of lots of 'Tino's either, certainly not when the base experience in the club is horrendous. But that's the route we've decided to take so I guess we just have to accept it and hope for the best.

The club has to pretty much start from scratch with the squad and they've decided to put all their eggs in the youth basket. High risk, high reward certainly and you never really achieve anything if you don't take an initial risk I guess!

Happy to wait and see what we ultimatley end up with. The whole "double figures" in an out might look very different in a portion of those are signed by saints and then loaned to satellite clubs in Turkey and France for example. 

Our squad isn't that lacking for experienced players. I would personally say Armstrong, kwp, romeu, JWP, redmond, bednarek, macca, Che are all pretty experienced for Premier league football now - the broader issue is that for some of those we want a better quality output on the pitch. But regardless - some of those players could be considered  veterans at this point. Our issue really is that fundamentally we want a leader at CB and a better Keeper to improve our defence.

There is no reason why a more commanding CB has to be older, they just need to be an improvement on salisu/bednarek to improve the team with good communication and decision making. 

I like the look of Richards myself, and he also helps cover our lack of depth at wingback. 

Still critical for us is an improvement at either CF or CAM, as well as improved depth at CM to cover romeu. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I would expect someone like Tarkowski is going to want a lot of wages, he's at 'last big move' sort of age, plus he's on a free transfer which means agents always drive the wages up. I wouldn't be surprised if he is asking north of £100k a week which puts him in higher than JWP territory. 

The other question I would have of both of those centre-backs is how they are going to do in a different system, they have played the whole time in basically a low block, defend the box, block everything type team. We generally press high up, which means we need more pace and our centre-backs can get exposed a bit more, so not only there is the age question, wages question but I don't think either player fits our style. Its about getting players used to our system and style of play as well, so I'd reckon someone around the Bayern squad is going to be more used to playing a higher line and playing in a pressing team. 

• Like 3