Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

No idea 😁 on the woman's game and even less so after I watched a few of the world cup games but there were some banger goals in the champs league final I think.

You must have been living under a rock. I got a sky sports alert when it happened, massive news. Can’t wait for the Euros to start!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Agreed, I’d like to have a decent experienced CB alongside Salisu. I think we’ll only sign one CB this summer, unless Salisu goes. Bednarek and Valery may go, but Stephens and Lyanco maybe likely aren't going anywhere, so we don’t have too much to work with. So if this lad is the CB we get in and we do lose Bednarek, it’s a pretty young pairing.

Not wise to write off Lyanco, there's the makings of a very decent player in there and the new coach may well be able to turn him into a class act. I've always liked the cut of his jib and he has the personality to become a Saints legend.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Not wise to write off Lyanco, there's the makings of a very decent player in there and the new coach may well be able to turn him into a class act. I've always liked the cut of his jib and he has the personality to become a Saints legend.

Seems to be some skill and talent there, although not convinced if he's a CB suited to the English game. Wonder if he's got the makings of a defensive midfielder.

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

What’s with all the Nottingham Forest stuff on Twitter?

A random Forest fan posted saying now they’re promoted and Derby are two divisions below they need a new rival, and so someone picked us.

The tweet then got carried through the #NFFC hashtag and eventually made its way onto the #saintsfc hashtag.

It’s all a bit of banter and is generally light hearted, majority of people engaging with the opposite fan base are either teenagers or just idiots.

Pretty much a non-story but it is annoying when you’re trying to scroll through for Saints news and Forest crap pops up 😅

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I see Lucy Bronze has signed for Barcelona

Wow, amazing.

I’m being very sarcastic by the way.

Unlike a lot of other sports, like for example, golf and cricket, women’s football is shit to watch and a shit standard.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

A random Forest fan posted saying now they’re promoted and Derby are two divisions below they need a new rival, and so someone picked us.

The tweet then got carried through the #NFFC hashtag and eventually made its way onto the #saintsfc hashtag.

It’s all a bit of banter and is generally light hearted, majority of people engaging with the opposite fan base are either teenagers or just idiots.

Pretty much a non-story but it is annoying when you’re trying to scroll through for Saints news and Forest crap pops up 😅

I've not seen anything on Twitter but surely this is all one big dig from Forest at Leicester City? They are the spare part in the east Midlands triangle and I think Leicester hate Forest far more than Forest hate Leicester (think Bournemouth and us). So I guess this is Forest fans making out they don't care about Leicester. (They definitely do)

39 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

A decent centre back next and we’ll be safe next season.

A decent centre back that can score 15+ goals then maybe. We are still woefully short in attacking areas. Adams is a decent striker if an inconsistent goalscorer, Armstrong was out of his depth last season and has yet to show he can step up and... my god we still have Long and Walcott on the books (and are apparently renewing Long's contract). Oh and N'Lundulu who will never be a Prem striker. 

Then we get to the 10s, the only half decent one of which is Armstrong. We need reinforcements in attack or we will go down.

I'm not saying we won't bring them in by the end of summer, I think we will, but the idea that we'll survive just signing one more CB is hard to believe right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Cheers

@CB Fry I have search for #SaintsFC saved. Fck all about saints all NFFC fans. Weird. Although the boast that Crossley was only keeper to save Le Tiss pen was fair.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Very w8se to write off lyanco. He is simply not good enough to play week in week out for any prem club. There is a reason he couldn't get a regular game at Torino. A big heart only gets you so far....     

40 minutes ago, whelk said:

Cheers

@CB Fry I have search for #SaintsFC saved. Fck all about saints all NFFC fans. Weird. Although the boast that Crossley was only keeper to save Le Tiss pen was fair.

I've had a look now, I see. Quite strange.

Forest have a Premier League rival, it's Leicester. It was only a few months ago that Leicester fans went on the rampage in Nottingham following their FA Cup defeat. Smashing up pubs etc etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Cheers

I was at the Dell for that one. MLT was so shocked that he blasted the rebound over. Keane strolled through our midfield and Hurlock like they weren’t there, an also ageing Glenda improved things second half. Belting volley from MLT ironically second half. All season people thought Forest would get out of it but couldn’t score after Sheringham sold in August (after scoring the first live TV PL goal) and only Rosario came in before the March deadline.

Here’s the Nottingham local paper thread - mostly good humour involved but we have our share of planks like every fanbase https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/southampton-fans-pile-nottingham-forest-7223497

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

Generally speaking, our recruitment of cast-offs from elite clubs has worked out well for us - Romeu, Bertrand, Hojbjerg, Alderweireld come to mind. Lemina worked out badly but that wasn't down to ability, that was his attitude. He could have been a top player if he wanted to. A shame for him and for us really.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Generally speaking, our recruitment of cast-offs from elite clubs has worked out well for us - Romeu, Bertrand, Hojbjerg, Alderweireld come to mind. Lemina worked out badly but that wasn't down to ability, that was his attitude. He could have been a top player if he wanted to. A shame for him and for us really.

Hoedt and Gunn should be added to the ‘fail’ column.

27 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

I don’t think you can really count Lazio as an ‘elite’ club, as shit as Hoedt was. 

Ings could be added to the success list though. 

And I also don't think Gunn really falls into the 'cast off' category either, just as Bazunu doesn't.

• Like 1

IIRC Gunn never played for Man City, he'd just had a really good season in the Championship, so we were effectively buy a good young Championship keeper that happened to be owned by Man City.  If we'd bought him directly off Norwich I don't think it would have made much difference, buying lower league players and seeing if they step is always going to be a gamble. It's pretty similar with Bazanu, though you could argue he's also somewhat proven himself at international level as well with some good performances there. 

The likes of Bertrand, Hojberg, Romeu etc. had all played for the clubs we were buying from as squad players. 

Richards is similar, he's played some games for Bayern, including some in the Champions league. He's also been playing in the Bundesliga for Hoffenhiem, and for the US national team.

You'd probably say that is similar to Hoedt (he was squad player for Lazio and had played for Holland), though Bayern are a more elite club than Lazio and the Bundesliga is closer to the PL in style than Serie A is I reckon. 

But again buying young players, with top flight experience, at high level clubs, with both international and European experience seems a decent blueprint to me to get a potential good player at a lower price, it's just Hoedt didn't work out. (and as someone said above I think his issue was similar to Leminas, the talent was there, but the mental side of the game wasn't, he thought he was better than he was and thought he could basically stroll about in the PL rather than working hard to adapt his game and learn)

9 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

IIRC Gunn never played for Man City, he'd just had a really good season in the Championship, so we were effectively buy a good young Championship keeper that happened to be owned by Man City.  If we'd bought him directly off Norwich I don't think it would have made much difference, buying lower league players and seeing if they step is always going to be a gamble. It's pretty similar with Bazanu, though you could argue he's also somewhat proven himself at international level as well with some good performances there. 

The likes of Bertrand, Hojberg, Romeu etc. had all played for the clubs we were buying from as squad players. 

Richards is similar, he's played some games for Bayern, including some in the Champions league. He's also been playing in the Bundesliga for Hoffenhiem, and for the US national team.

You'd probably say that is similar to Hoedt (he was squad player for Lazio and had played for Holland), though Bayern are a more elite club than Lazio and the Bundesliga is closer to the PL in style than Serie A is I reckon. 

But again buying young players, with top flight experience, at high level clubs, with both international and European experience seems a decent blueprint to me to get a potential good player at a lower price, it's just Hoedt didn't work out. (and as someone said above I think his issue was similar to Leminas, the talent was there, but the mental side of the game wasn't, he thought he was better than he was and thought he could basically stroll about in the PL rather than working hard to adapt his game and learn)

As opposed to a keeper who has never played from Man City and has just come off a decent season in league one. so we were effectively buy a good young league one keeper that happened to be owned by Man City.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Turkish said:

As opposed to a keeper who has never played from Man City and has just come off a decent season in league one. so we were effectively buy a good young league one keeper that happened to be owned by Man City.

‘It’s pretty similar with Bazunu’ - seems like he covered that base in his post…

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SNSUN said:

A decent centre back that can score 15+ goals then maybe. We are still woefully short in attacking areas. Adams is a decent striker if an inconsistent goalscorer, Armstrong was out of his depth last season and has yet to show he can step up and... my god we still have Long and Walcott on the books (and are apparently renewing Long's contract). Oh and N'Lundulu who will never be a Prem striker. 

Then we get to the 10s, the only half decent one of which is Armstrong. We need reinforcements in attack or we will go down.

I'm not saying we won't bring them in by the end of summer, I think we will, but the idea that we'll survive just signing one more CB is hard to believe right now.

I agree we need to strengthen up front but we survived last season with nothing much up front and if we can keep more clean sheets with a decent CB then we should survive.

5 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

This is a little misleading. The actual closing in comment is made as an interpretation of this quote from Dean Jones rather than an actual status of the situation.

Speaking to GIVEMESPORT, Jones said: "Chris Richards is emerging as a real option for Saints.

"I've watched a fair bit of him and while he hasn't made it at Bayern yet there is definitely reason to believe this would be a good signing. A few things to be sorted but people around it seem optimistic."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

I agree we need to strengthen up front but we survived last season with nothing much up front and if we can keep more clean sheets with a decent CB then we should survive.

We've lost Broja though, he was our second top scorer. We need to replace his goals and his physicality. After him was Elyonoussi, and most of his goals came against Newport county.

Adams needs to step up, but he seems incapable of being that regular 10+ goal a season man. We need another forward and number 10.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

It’s an interesting one with this clear policy. Advantages are you often get kids who are totally fearless, unknown, and can make amazing starts. The danger is they’ll get found out later in the season and are often too early in their career to iterate. That on top of our cliff edge mental and fitness issues back end of season mean we’ll need to be basically safe by Mar. The fixture list makes me nervous as we’ve got a lot of winnable games in Apr and May.

Then again we do have the World Cup break and by my reckoning we’ll only have a couple of players there so advantage with training, fitness and tactics which Ralph seems to need. Hopefully we’ll get the right sort of youngsters in - especially a cf (like the idea of Elanga) and a no 10.

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

I think we need an experienced CB as well as this guy.  Wouldn’t be at all bothered if it meant Bednarek leaving.

Funny thing is Jan Bednarek is pretty experienced having made over 100 PL apps, plus 42 caps for Poland and experience of starting games in two major tournaments. In the prime of his career.

Sure you want to let such experience go so easily?

I mean...there is pretty much no chance Saints could afford to sign a CB with 100+ games in one of the top European leagues who also has 40+ Intl caps for a decent nation and is still considered relatively young.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Funny thing is Jan Bednarek is pretty experienced having made over 100 PL apps, plus 42 caps for Poland and experience of starting games in two major tournaments. In the prime of his career.

I mean...there is pretty much no chance Saints could afford to sign a CB with 100+ games in one of the top European leagues who also has 40+ Intl caps for a decent nation and is still considered relatively young.

For an experienced player he has not got a clue how to marshall a defence.  
And on top of that, he’s dogshit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I would let him go. He makes too many mistakes, is very often caught out of position and is poor playing the ball out from the back (remembering his reaction to the boos last season for being too cautious and constantly passing it sidewards/backwards). Not to mention the OGs and he was key to both 9-0s.

We as fans should expect more than that from a young CB with 100+ games in one of the top European leagues who also has 40+ Intl caps for a decent nation (although tbf Poland doesnt have many decent CB options). 

With 3 years left on his contract we could easily get 20m+ for him. That can be fully reinvested in a replacement

15 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

For an experienced player he has not got a clue how to marshall a defence.  
And on top of that, he’s dogshit.

Right - so you basically want a defender who can marshall a defence and who is good?

Why not just say that instead of assuming defenders with lots of games or who are older automatically have those traits when as you say, and I tend to agree, that is not always the case.

Experience is such a lazy term to throw about.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 5

The biggest selling point is that he bottled an FA Cup quarter-final because Poland were playing the week after. No excuses for that. He's going to want to stay fit before the World Cup too and with it coming mid-season who knows what matches he'll be available for.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Just like you don’t want to buy just any 20 yr old, you want to buy player with right sort of experience/leadership qualities.

we signed Fonte when he was 26/27 and I don’t see what’s crazy about looking for a player with that sort of profile. Actually I think it would likely benefit younger players development, certainly bednarek’s hasn’t been helped by saints shambolic defenses.

• Like 1

Getting rid of Bednarek I could not care less. He’s done. He’s weak physically and mentally. I’ll drive him to the airport.

In terms of him being replaced by this Richards from Bayern is a concern. It’s a big gamble bringing a player into the Prem when they haven’t played many senior matches. The Premier League is also on a different level to the Bundesliga.

Even if he was to come in as a “young up and coming player” that’s scary because it likely means Stephens or Lyanco could be match regulars.

• Sad 1