Saints 2-0 Norwich - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Hey all!

It's Dan Sheldon from The Athletic here - I hope everyone is well.

Saturday was a brilliant result for Saints & I am already looking forward to Friday night's game against Norwich.

As I said on TSP last night, Southampton can take confidence from the fact that the last time Angus Gunn played in a Premier League match at St Mary's, he conceded nine goals. That is a good enough omen for me...

This may not be the correct channel/discussion to post this in, but I am going to be using Saints Web to communicate more frequently with supporters. If you have any queries, topics you want me to explore or anything else, then feel free to leave a comment/post a question.

Best wishes, 

Dan

• Like 18

45 minutes ago, Dan Sheldon, The Athletic said:

Hey all!

If you have any queries, topics you want me to explore or anything else, then feel free to leave a comment/post a question.

Is this what you were hoping to achieve? 🤔 😇

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

An important point to make on this is that I am a reporter first, and a supporter second. 

What Southampton are doing is not cheating, nor is anything likely going to be done off the back of the piece I did. Once a player goes down and informs the referee that he needs medical attention, the match official has a duty of care to that person and is not going to say no.

The fact one of their players goes down, more often than not, between the 60th and 70th minute is not a secret and there are many within the industry who have picked up on it. To think other clubs weren't aware of this is a non-starter.

My job is to report on Southampton/spot interesting patterns - and the energy gels/drinks/tactical instructions during a specific time frame falls into that category.

Edited by Dan Sheldon, The Athletic
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure if this impacts our prep or not, but apparently there has been structural damage to the dome at Staplewood. (similar to what happened to the O2 I think)

The first team only use the dome on rare occasions. It is mainly for the academy teams.

Edited by Matthew Le God

13 minutes ago, Dan Sheldon, The Athletic said:

An important point to make on this is that I am a reporter first, and a supporter second. 

What Southampton are doing is not cheating, nor is anything likely going to be done off the back of the piece I did. Once a player goes down and informs the referee that he needs medical attention, the match official has a duty of care to that person and is not going to say no.

The fact one of their players goes down, more often than not, between the 60th and 70th minute is not a secret and there are many within the industry who have picked up on it. To think other clubs weren't aware of this is a non-starter.

My job is to report on Southampton/spot interesting patterns - and the energy gels/drinks/tactical instructions during a specific time frame falls into that category.

How many of the 14 stoppages were caused by an opponent injuring a Saints player? Like the one vs Everton at the weekend.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

How many of the 14 stoppages were caused by an opponent injuring a Saints player? Like the one vs Everton at the weekend.

Has it occurred to you that, following the publicity it had received, we perhaps waited until there was a genuine foul in the Everton game to avoid any suspicion? 

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The Everton foul also occurred between 60 and 70 minutes. Tiring opponents make fouls in that time period regularly.

Everton we’re not behind the door going to get drinks from their staff at the same time. As Lampard said in his press conference- it’s been going on for years - so not just a Saints thing by the sound if things.

10 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Has it occurred to you that, following the publicity it had received, we perhaps waited until there was a genuine foul in the Everton game to avoid any suspicion? 

If it's not against the rules then why would we seek to avert suspicion? Everything is fair in love and war like using subs in the 4 minutes of injury time to break up patterns of play and run the clock down. Within the rules if not within the spirit.

I would be more suspicious about what's in the energy drinks that suddenly revives players and keeps them going for another half-hour.

15 hours ago, Roger said:

Looks like another sell out about 370 tickets left unreal support. 

They've opened up some of block 44 for Saints fans as well now, £15 tickets still and gives us most of the Northam end , should make it a good atmosphere. Not sure how many Norwich are brining but won't be more than 1800. 

Saints hitting good form

Home to Norwich under the lights

Gunn in goal for the Canaries

Who is going to score a hat trick like this one? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not doubting @Dan Sheldon, The Athletic's journalistic credentials, but the idea that he reported it before the pattern had been spotted by legions of EPL analysts is ... interesting.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Edited by LordHester
Incorrect formatting

38 minutes ago, Dan Sheldon, The Athletic said:

I'm not so sure it does fall into that category and here's why:

- Southampton are not unique in employing this tactic or similar tactics

- The tactic can suit both teams involved in the match, both are able to take on energy and chat with their respective coaches.

- Players go down faking injury all the bloody time, a lot of the time to take some pressure off their team or to try and force the ref to stop a promising attack.  It is infuriating.  

There is so much positivity that could be reported on the Saints currently, it must be disappointing that a non-story is the one that has received the most traction - or maybe that's just a sad reflection of sports journalism / society in general, after all there must be a reason why lil ol' Southampton are winning games.

Fair play for signing up here though, hard hat on and good luck!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dan Sheldon, The Athletic said:

Hey all!

Saturday was a brilliant result for Saints & I am already looking forward to Friday night's game against Norwich.

As I said on TSP last night, Southampton can take confidence from the fact that the last time Angus Gunn played in a Premier League match at St Mary's, he conceded nine goals. That is a good enough omen for me...

This may not be the correct channel/discussion to post this in, but I am going to be using Saints Web to communicate more frequently with supporters. If you have any queries, topics you want me to explore or anything else, then feel free to leave a comment/post a question.

Best wishes, 

Dan

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Hi @Dan Sheldon, The Athletic welcome to the forum.

Are you new here or have you been lurking for a while? 

Hey. Thank you for the welcome. I am very much new here.

Hi Dan - great to see someone with direct access to the Saints management team on here. Welcome! 

Saintsweb is the most friendly, positive, non-cynical fans forum you're ever likely to encounter on the interweb. It's also the only fan forum that doesn't have any trolls or wind up merchants... (Watch out for the sarcastic / tongue- in-cheek posts though.... ;) )

That said, you may wish to invest in a flak jacket... just in case... ;)

P.s. how do we know that you're not 'Glasgow Saint' in one of his various guises...? ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, JRM said:

The answer is nobody. The pace of the PL game these days means it's impossible for the likes of MLT to get the time and space needed to score such a ridiculous goal as that second one. We'll never see another hattrick like it again IMO. 

Edited by Sheaf Saint

41 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

As I mentioned in the Match thread - Coleman had obviously been incensed by this startling revelation that we like to swing the lead and have quick brew with 20-30 minutes left to play - he was right into Che's ear with body language telling him to get up and stop cheating. Che looked to be saying "jog on mush" so Coleman started bleating at the ref, meanwhile the rest of the lads were over with Ralph having a chat, Everton boys were ambling around aimlessly then one of them noticed Frank was telling them to come and see him too.

Anyway this has got chuff all to do with playing Norwich on Friday night - which looks to be dry and cold on the weather front atm

Not sure why this is even an issue.

It was being discussed about us doing this a few months back.

I remember Danny Higgingottom talking about it. If he (and many fans could see it), I am certain players and coaches knew about it way before that. Not once has an opposing manager moaned about it though. 

34 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I remember Danny Higgingottom talking about it. If he (and many fans could see it), I am certain players and coaches knew about it way before that. Not once has an opposing manager moaned about it though. 

Why would they, the 'break', if it actually is a thing  works just as well for them.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, JRM said:

They've opened up some of block 44 for Saints fans as well now, £15 tickets still and gives us most of the Northam end , should make it a good atmosphere. Not sure how many Norwich are brining but won't be more than 1800. 

Saints hitting good form

Home to Norwich under the lights

Gunn in goal for the Canaries

The goalkeep there was Bryan Gunn, father of Angus. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Dan.

Who do you support? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

Welcome to the forum, Dan.

Who do you support? 

Thank you!

Good question, and it's one I am often asked.

I am one of the strange people that doesn't follow a particular team/have any great love for one side. I am a huge fan of football, but I tend to appreciate moments rather than teams.

Going into a weekend, the only team I want to win is Southampton. But it is also nice that because I'm not a supporter, I am able to stand back sometimes and not get too high or down depending on their results. However, there have been a couple of games this season - most notably Spurs away - where it was impossible to not leave the stadium over the moon!

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Dan Sheldon, The Athletic said:

Thank you!

I am one of the strange people that doesn't follow a particular team/have any great love for one side. I am a huge fan of football, but I tend to appreciate moments rather than teams.

Going into a weekend, the only team I want to win is Southampton. But it is also nice that because I'm not a supporter, I am able to stand back sometimes and not get too high or down depending on their results. However, there have been a couple of games this season - most notably Spurs away - where it was impossible to not leave the stadium over the moon!

So you are a Saints fan then, but for some reason don't want to admit to it. 😜

Experiencing the highs and lows is an integral component of being a football supporter, and I am happy you can experience the upsurge in energy and emotion that wins like that v Spurs can bring. I love the Saints, but with age, experience and (questionable) maturity, also comes the ability to not get "too high or down" based on the result of a game. We can all appreciate the 'moments in football' even for other teams, but the Saints are in our hearts.

I guess journalism requires a certain quelling of emotions/passion /whatever to retain objectivity, but lets face it, you're a Saints supporter. Be Proud!!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, waylander said:

Hi Dan, good to have you aboard.

I wonder if yo ucan clear up something that has been the subject of some debate - did Alex McCarthy sign a new contract last year or is it still being hammered out?

Hey! 

Alex McCarthy signed a new contract last summer. He conducted all the relevant club media at the time he signed it but the announcement got pulled for a reason I do not know. 

I'm writing about the goalkeepers for a piece that will go live on Wednesday, but it is more focused on Fraser Forster's situation.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dan Sheldon, The Athletic said:

Hey! 

Alex McCarthy signed a new contract last summer. He conducted all the relevant club media at the time he signed it but the announcement got pulled for a reason I do not know. 

I'm writing about the goalkeepers for a piece that will go live on Wednesday, but it is more focused on Fraser Forster.

Hi Dan

I also work for a media organisation with a paywall, so I know you why can't just give SaintsWeb members/subscribers free access to all your excellent articles in The Athletic -- but if you can post a few choice extracts on here that will be much appreciated 😉

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dan Sheldon, The Athletic said:

Hey! 

I'm writing about the goalkeepers for a piece that will go live on Wednesday, but it is more focused on Fraser Forster's situation.

Hi Dan,

A few questions on that if I may...

- how many years was the new contract for?

- why did no other news organisations / outlets report this? i.e. how come only you knew/know about it and the likes of Adam Blackmore etc seemingly didn't/don't know about it?

- do you not know why the announcement was pulled because you asked them why but they refused to tell you why, or because you've never asked them why?

- given what you know about the club, do you have a hypothesis as to why the club have chosen to be duplicitous about it?

Cheers!

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

From what I remember of conversations, I have a suspicion @Dan Sheldon, The Athletic fed him that snippet and then used it on the US coverage of our games as if he'd spotted it himself. :lol:

Thank you!

Is this you on 2mins 15?

The Fast Show - Roger Nouveau Football Fan - YouTube

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan Sheldon, The Athletic said:

But all teams are guilty of this or something similar to varying degrees and Wolves are among the worst offenders. Shouldn't your piece have made reference to all the different widespread ways teams try to achieve a little advantage rather than just concentrating on us the side you claim to support? It would have been a more even handed approach instead of making us look like the only bad guys. I think we're pretty fair when you consider some of the players/managers at other clubs who are constantly in the refs face trying to get decisions to go their way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

But all teams are guilty of this or something similar to varying degrees and Wolves are among the worst offenders. Shouldn't your piece have made reference to all the different widespread ways teams try to achieve a little advantage rather than just concentrating on us the side you claim to support? It would have been a more even handed approach instead of making us look like the only bad guys. I think we're pretty fair when you consider some of the players/managers at other clubs who are constantly in the refs face trying to get decisions to go their way.

I am pretty sure there is a piece going live on The Athletic tomorrow that looks at every club's stoppages/when they happen/what the players do during them.

10 minutes ago, Dan Sheldon, The Athletic said:

I am pretty sure there is a piece going live on The Athletic tomorrow that looks at every club's stoppages/when they happen/what the players do during them.

Hey Dan,

Cheers for coming on here and answering a few questions.

You mentioned on the Tifo video recently that we narrowly missed out on Cucerella due to our budget constraints. I realise giving the inside scoop on here about current targets is probably not something you'd want to do but could you say any other past targets we narrowly missed out on?

Thanks!

Win and we move above Brighton - might only be for one day as they play Villa at home on Saturday which they'd expect to win. Mind you, they probably expected to beat Burnley rather than getting done 3-0. That was a nice 5 goal swing in goal difference in our favour.

25 minutes ago, TWar said:

Hey Dan,

Cheers for coming on here and answering a few questions.

You mentioned on the Tifo video recently that we narrowly missed out on Cucerella due to our budget constraints. I realise giving the inside scoop on here about current targets is probably not something you'd want to do but could you say any other past targets we narrowly missed out on?

Thanks!

Hey,

No worries at all. I am keen to communicate with you all as much as possible. I can't be on here all the time, but will be dropping in more often than not. I am also conscious that this topic is about Friday's game against Norwich & that most of my answers haven't been about the match.

In terms of other players, one of the more famous ones is James Maddison. He had already visited Staplewood before Leicester blew Saints out of the water with a better offer. Leicester have beaten Saints to the punch in more recent(ish) times, too. 

5 minutes ago, Dan Sheldon, The Athletic said:

Hey,

No worries at all. I am keen to communicate with you all as much as possible. I can't be on here all the time, but will be dropping in more often than not. I am also conscious that this topic is about Friday's game against Norwich & I'm conscious of the fact most of my answers haven't been about the match.

In terms of other players, one of the more famous ones is James Maddison. He had already visited Staplewood before Leicester blew Saints out of the water with a better offer. Leicester have beaten Saints to the punch in more recent(ish) times, too. 

That's interesting, thanks. Castagne comes to mind, I think he might have been linked at one point and is a position we need around our price range. 

Edited by TWar

17 minutes ago, Dan Sheldon, The Athletic said:

Hey,

No worries at all. I am keen to communicate with you all as much as possible. I can't be on here all the time, but will be dropping in more often than not. I am also conscious that this topic is about Friday's game against Norwich & I'm conscious of the fact most of my answers haven't been about the match.

Think we got more than a bit of our own back with the deals for Bertrand and Vestergaard.

Edited by Teddeer
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

Alongside the previous two months where clubs were postponing matches with minimal COVID cases, but citing injuries and internationals to ensure those players were back for the rearranged fixture, which gives them a far bigger advantage than a 30 second break. While, we were what looked on the outside following strict COVID regulations to ensure there wasn't an outbreak at the club, which there wasn't.

It's no surprise that COVID/injuries hasn't affected clubs after the postponement rules got stricter and football got out of the hectic Christmas schedule.

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 2-0 Norwich - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic