Saints 2-0 Norwich - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

8 hours ago, captainchris said:

The league should prioritise so full strength against Norwich …

We're not getting relegated and we'll only climb a couple more places tops. The league is effectively a dead rubber, ergo we should (must?) prioritise the FA Cup from here on in. Good to have different opinions though.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We should have been out of sight by HT... We are better now, but silly season is upon us. 

If we'd had Forster instead of McCarthy in goal, it would have been a comfortable victory: 

"McCarthy started between the sticks for Hasenhuttl’s team but his performance left a lot to be desired. Indeed, his was the lowest match rating awarded to a Southampton player.

The 31-year-old was beaten at his near post for both of Norwich’s goals and picked out a team-mate with only 11 of his 17 passes (65%)

McCarthy also played just two accurate long balls out of eight, won zero duels and lost possession six times at Carrow Road on Saturday."

Norwich 2 - 1 So'ton - Match Report & Highlights (skysports.com)

Edited by Nordic Saint

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Yes injuries are a risk, but players can get injured in training or catch covid.

Yes, of course there are other contributing factors, but it's all about percentages. Anyway, I'm fully expecting Ralph to go full strength tonight so what I think is neither here nor there. 

8 hours ago, CanadaSaint said:

I think it would be very cool if our fans with yellow and blue stuff would wear or take it tomorrow. It doesn’t matter that Norwich are yellow - the evil shit going on in Ukraine is far more important.

1 hour ago, StDunko said:

I came on here to post this.

I couldn't give a fuck if the usual idiots on here start squinning about virtue signalling. There is little else we can do apart from show the world that acts of agression are not just accepted and ignored.

1 hour ago, lambtiss said:

Well said 👍.

1 hour ago, lambtiss said:

Great suggestion

Like the idea of fans wearing yellow and blue. Someone ought to get that going viral in Twitterland.

• Like 1

If wearing yellow was actually going to make a difference, I'd be up for it. But it's not so considering Norwich wear yellow, I won't do this. I'd be up for doing it in the next home game though (provided it's not Watford).

A whole sea of yellow really wouldn't be productive. 

Edited by Instant Classic
  • Like 1

On 24/02/2022 at 07:17, JRM said:

They took the lead at Anfield and were leading with 30 mins to go but fell apart under pressure, definitely think some Saints fans are getting carried away expecting an easy win. 

Norwich are running out of time though and need wins so hopefully will be an open game.  

Another memorable Norwich home game 

nice one. Henri Camera is one of my all time favourite Saints - shame it didn't work out better. What a noise when he scored that goal. Possibly the loudest goal celebration ever at SMS? I'll take a 4-3 88th minute winner tonight. Taking the 8 year old nephew. Could do with a goal fest to wean him away from Man City glory hunting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

Not that I for an instant think this is even a "thing", if it does happen, whilst Saints are taking instructions and gels are the other team just running on the spot ?

Edited by badgerx16
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, trousers said:

We're not getting relegated and we'll only climb a couple more places tops. The league is effectively a dead rubber, ergo we should (must?) prioritise the FA Cup from here on in. Good to have different opinions though.

I disagree. I think we could surprise a lot of people (including ourselves), with the run of fixtures we have ahead of us. Also, and I know this doesn't/shouldn't really matter, but each PL place is worth about £2m in prize money, and you get less than that for winning the FA cup (maybe a bit more, cumulatively).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mattster said:

I disagree. I think we could surprise a lot of people (including ourselves), with the run of fixtures we have ahead of us. Also, and I know this doesn't/shouldn't really matter, but each PL place is worth about £2m in prize money, and you get less than that for winning the FA cup (maybe a bit more, cumulatively).

Winning the FA Cup gets you into Europe, the revenue from a season in Europe + FA Cup prize and gate money would be significantly more than rising a couple of places higher in the league. I think we can go full strength both tonight and Wednesday, it is West Ham who play on Sunday who may need to rotate, not us.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Winning the FA Cup gets you into Europe, the revenue from a season Europe + FA Cup prize and gate money would be significantly more than rising a couple of places higher in the league. I think we can go full strength both tonight and Wednesday, it is West Ham who play on Sunday who may need to rotate, not us.

True, and I'd love a decent cup run obviously. My main point is that I think we could actually push on in the league - 8th, even 7th (and Europe) might be possible given that we have so many of our toughest fixtures in the rear view mirror. We're flying compared to last season game for game.

1 hour ago, CAH61 said:

Would be great to see a few goals like this tonight...pure genius..

Loved that kit too the black shorts and socks with white stripes was sexy as hell.

Can't say I'd go that far in the description of our kit if you're referring to eleven blokes even playing for Saints.

Edited by Badger

Another strong performance at home from us tonight - I'm hoping for a 3-0 win with Stuart Armstrong, Broja and Adams scoring :) let's get revenge after the reverse fixture back in November. That was a game we absolutely dominated and should have won. 

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nutwood2 said:

We don't want Europe at this stage, if at all! Too much hassle and our squad would be very stretched. We would probably be relegated!

We don't want Europe this season... because it would stop us getting Europe in the future? That is a daft argument.

It wouldn't cause us to be relegated.

6 minutes ago, Nutwood2 said:

We don't want Europe at this stage, if at all! Too much hassle and our squad would be very stretched. We would probably be relegated!

I think Ralph would do well with us in Europe (compared to any recent managers we have had)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

We don't want Europe this season... because it would stop us getting Europe in the future? That is a daft argument.

It wouldn't cause us to be relegated.

Can't agree with you I'm afraid. We've been pretty lucky with injuries this season. Take out Ward Prowse, Romeu and Salisa for instance...any one or two of those and we are still not strong enough for a European campaign. We need to stabilise and, maybe a couple of more seasons improvement and then we can think about it!

4 minutes ago, Nutwood2 said:

Can't agree with you I'm afraid. We've been pretty lucky with injuries this season. Take out Ward Prowse, Romeu and Salisa for instance...any one or two of those and we are still not strong enough for a European campaign. We need to stabilise and, maybe a couple of more seasons improvement and then we can think about it!

I'm not sure it's all luck. A few years ago our injury record was consistently awful, over a long period of time (many seasons). I was bemoaning us being always near the bottom of the physio room rankings, and wondered why we couldn't be like Leicester, who were equally consistently near the top. Then something seemed to have changed, and we now have a very good record (a blip at the end of last season could be explained by Covid and lack of access to facilities at Staplewood). I think the club have employed some excellent therapists and basically followed Leicester's lead. Yes there will always be some unlucky injuries (bad tackles), but minimising "avoidable" injuries is playing a big part in our upturn.

41 minutes ago, StDunko said:

I found a yellow and blue 1979 League Cup final scarf at the bottom of a drawer. I'll be rocking that tonight, 70's style, throught the belt loop on the hip of my jeans.

Up the Saints and up the Ukrainian resistance!

They'll be no shortage of yellow scarves in the away section tonight, Norwich are dishing out freebies to their travelling fans, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of 76 and 03 FA and 79 FL Cup Final gear getting an airing tonight. 

Edited by alehouseboys
  • Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Norwich - Match Thread

I love Ralph and his interviews

I don’t think I know any other manager in the PL that comes out to chat with the pundits.

The answers were open and refreshing, perhaps too honest when he was discussing the strengths of 4222 and how Arsenal’s goal is a good way to beat the system!!!

Edited by nta786

Good to see an unchanged lineup although still think it’s a bit harsh on Perraud. If we keep up the press and counter we’ll romp home with a comfortable win, but they’re starting to find a system that works for them and they’re scrapping for their place, so this is not going to be an easy match.

Strangely I'd be more confident if we were playing a better team than Norwich, never thought I'd say that about saints! If we are going to slip up it's likely now, but if we play to our best it should be comfortable, come on you reds! 

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 2-0 Norwich - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic