Saints 2-0 Norwich - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Should have what it takes to win comfortably but they can always surprise. The only question I guess is if Perraud is back does he start? I think Perraud has been sensational recently but I also think Tino is outstanding and was great today, also his assist was superb. Nice problem to have.

Rest of the team stays the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Should have what it takes to win comfortably but they can always surprise. The only question I guess is if Perraud is back does he start? I think Perraud has been sensational recently but I also think Tino is outstanding and was great today, also his assist was superb. Nice problem to have.

Do you honestly think it was a ‘superb’ assist or just to back up your opinion of Tino who’s good, but not as good as KWP (yet). 

The cross wasn’t a great one imo, a little too high and floated. I’d be expecting my CB to read and win that. I’d say the leap and header from Long was superb if anything. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Dman said:

Do you honestly think it was a ‘superb’ assist or just to back up your opinion of Tino who’s good, but not as good as KWP (yet). 

The cross wasn’t a great one imo, a little too high and floated. I’d be expecting my CB to read and win that. I’d say the leap and header from Long was superb if anything. 

Yeah would agree with that. A few times Tino didn't go forward as much as I would have liked, despite having plenty of space. Contrast that to KWP who was popping up everywhere on the left hand side. For me, KWP is the better option at the moment if Perraud comes back in 

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Perraud goes straight back in when fit for me.

• Like 2

On form, the quality of squads and positions in the league...it should be a no-brainer really and an easy bet. But...football isn't like that. I think we've got grounds to be a bit cautious as by all accounts they haven't played badly in recent weeks and Smith has certainly made them a better side.

But...if we play to the level we have been then we 'should' have way, way too much for them in the press and the attacking movement we have on offer.

We've got ourselves an amazing full back dilemma, complete opposite of last season. It's certainly good to be debating Tino/KWP/Perraud compared to Valery, Stephens, JWP, Bertrand and Vokins.

Tino had a really good game today I felt, so did KWP, but Perruad in recent weeks deserves to come back in.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Thought Tino was very average today, he looked like he was not fully fit, wonder if he would have played if Perraud had been fit. He seemed to be very reluctant to go past a player for get upfield much, as if he was aware that he was going to be a bit short if he had to get back and defend. I'm not being critical of him, think he is a fine player but today was certainly not his best.

5 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Thought Tino was very average today, he looked like he was not fully fit, wonder if he would have played if Perraud had been fit. He seemed to be very reluctant to go past a player for get upfield much, as if he was aware that he was going to be a bit short if he had to get back and defend. I'm not being critical of him, think he is a fine player but today was certainly not his best.

I thought he had a terrific game to be honest, similar to the player we all saw at the start of the season. He carried the ball well, advanced a few times, wasn't troubled defensively really.

He got an assist with a terrific cross from the right as well.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought he had a terrific game to be honest, similar to the player we all saw at the start of the season. He carried the ball well, advanced a few times, wasn't troubled defensively really.

He got an assist with a terrific cross from the right as well.

Agree he was superb. Gordon been superb for them recently didn’t get a kick. 

2 hours ago, Dman said:

I think it was poorly defended, don't get me wrong, but dropping the ball right on the head of your striker from that distance when they are marked with such a trajectory that they are able to attack the ball is a very good skill.

The high loopy nature of the cross gave Shane a chance to attack it and outjump his markers, a flat cross would have likely been cleared. Also the fact he hit it first time gave them less time to react.

Edited by TWar

10 of the team pick themselves.

Torn between Perraud and Tino - 50/50 for me. Quite like KWP’s attacking threat down the left, feel Perraud doesn’t offer as much going forward but is better than Tino defensively.

You’d hope at home to Norwich that we’d be dominating, so could see Ralph going KWP and Tino. But would be incredibly harsh on Perraud! Might be a moot point anyway if Perraud is still positive.

• Like 1

If we were to only have 3 more wins this season, for me it would be this one, Newcastle and Brighton.

Losing to that shower at Carrow Road still annoys me (cheers McCarthy). They've had a few decent results, albeit against fellow strugglers, but same as today if we're anywhere half decent we win this easy.

7 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

10 of the team pick themselves.

Torn between Perraud and Tino - 50/50 for me. Quite like KWP’s attacking threat down the left, feel Perraud doesn’t offer as much going forward but is better than Tino defensively.

You’d hope at home to Norwich that we’d be dominating, so could see Ralph going KWP and Tino. But would be incredibly harsh on Perraud! Might be a moot point anyway if Perraud is still positive.

Perraud tore Spurs apart offensively, to say he offers nothing going forwards is rubbish. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TWar said:

I think it was poorly defended, don't get me wrong, but dropping the ball right on the head of your striker from that distance when they are marked with such a trajectory that they are able to attack the ball is a very good skill.

The high loopy nature of the cross gave Shane a chance to attack it and outjump his markers, a flat cross would have likely been cleared. Also the fact he hit it first time gave them less time to react.

Or the wind played a part, but who cares we won. Still has to be KWP as first choice.

4 hours ago, Golac's Iron Gonads said:

West Ham in the cup on the following Thursday. Do we want Ralph tinkering with an eye on the cup game?

I'm thinking he may go for one or two of:

Diallo for Romeu, Redmond for St Armstrong. Armstrong or Long for Broja or Adams and possibly another outing for Small.

I wouldn’t change anything unless it’s broke.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Golac's Iron Gonads said:

West Ham in the cup on the following Thursday. Do we want Ralph tinkering with an eye on the cup game?

I'm thinking he may go for one or two of:

Diallo for Romeu, Redmond for St Armstrong. Armstrong or Long for Broja or Adams and possibly another outing for Small.

Wednesday?

Absolutely got to win this. Feeling it might be a 3-1 or 4-2 sort of game. I wonder though if Ralph will play a slightly different side, resting some for the West Ham cup game? Would he/we sacrifice a couple of points to beat West Ham? It might we'll end up like that. I bloody hope not though. We should be able to field full strength both games, barring any injuries against Norwich. 

3 minutes ago, Jessinkalasin said:

I wonder though if Ralph will play a slightly different side, resting some for the West Ham cup game? Would he/we sacrifice a couple of points to beat West Ham? It might we'll end up like that.

No real need to rest players for the FA Cup game, especially as Saints have two days extra to recover/prepare for the FA Cup game than West Ham do!

Saints vs Norwich - Friday 25th Feb

West Ham vs Wolves - Sunday 27th Feb

Saints vs West Ham - Wednesday 2nd March

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

No real need to rest players for the FA Cup game, especially as Saints have two days extra to recover/prepare for the FA Cup game than West Ham do!

Agree there's no need to rest players, per se, but there could be a valid argument for protecting key players from possible injury, thus increasing their chances of being available for the more important game mid-week?

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Agreed. If they are signs of tiredness make changes during the game. Bench is strong enough to cope. Would hope we are two or three up early doors as to really use the squad 

We saw what happened against Coventry where we tried to take it easy in the first half.

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Hammers starting to look a bit tired, they don't seem to rotate their first XI too much in most games by the looks of it. 

First league game back at St Mary's for Angus Gunn since **********

He'll be bricking it, dropping everything, letting them through his legs, easy win. 4-0

On the other hand maybe he thinks he's got something to prove. In that case 3-0 🙄

Edited by 64saint
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

Hopefully RH will be in the players' ears all week to not take this one lightly. I think BHA were expecting a stroll at home to Burnley and got a rude awake awakening. 

Yes, but Burnley are a much better outfit than Norwich, have been playing well lately, and also have signed themselves a very good centre forward. Norwich are going down no questions asked and our loss at carrow Road was a proper cock up 😅

8 hours ago, trousers said:

Agree there's no need to rest players, per se, but there could be a valid argument for protecting key players from possible injury, thus increasing their chances of being available for the more important game mid-week?

Nope everyone ie our first XI should play. 
Match fitness is very important and it’s why City also play a load of first teamers in their cup games against lesser opposition too.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 2-0 Norwich - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic