Gavin Bazunu

SuperSAINT

2 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

His positioning is awful and it's really letting him down. But... He's 20 year old mate. Not many keepers are playing No.1 in Prem and representing their country at his age. As I've said further back, his bad positioning could well be down to just a complete lack of confidence. Worth remembering he has been playing in a constantly changing back-line, too. If we could settle (and keep fit) a CB pairing it would do him the world of good.

I'm not saying he will be top of the pile, but lads his age are usually plying their trade in League One or League Two.

Kasper Schmeichel was playing League Two with Bury at this age.

Aaron Ramsdale was at Chesterfield, in League Two.

Emilio Martinez was at Oxford, in League Two.

Nick Pope could barely catch a game for Welling United in the Conference South.

We've made an almighty big ask of Bazunu. Long before we should even consider him ready. In time, he'll be a very good keeper. But we're years off of that.

Those examples prove the point perfectly. Even the best keepers in the league were at the lowest levels at the age we've thrown Bazunu into the top flight. It's absolutely fucking suicidal. He should not be starting for us, end of.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, as Samba says. I've been probably his most vocal critic but today he did well. One good save near the end from a freekick and one earlier in the game which I sadly missed but was told about, as well as claiming a couple of crosses which he has up until now fumbled. 

Keep it up. 

• Like 1

I think we saw the potential today, but as with young players their form will dip up and down. I have felt a bit sorry for him at times as he's been thrown to the wolves a bit, but he must have a strong head on his shoulders to keep his head like he has - today he was brilliant.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

I've not shied away from being known as Bazunu's biggest online hater, but he had a great game today. Not perfect - it was still very rough around the edges at times in terms of holding on to shots. But a green shoot of a serviceable PL goalkeeper emerged. And that's all I ask for.

I dunno bro there was some fierce competition 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thrust into this situation because we were obsessed with finding the next 'Tino', should never have gambled on a keeper as we have. You can do well with young players, but not in the critical area's such as GK, CB and ST. We've just sold these kids up the river and they're drowning sadly. 

He may be a good keeper in time, but as of now he doesn't seem capable of making any saves. Any shot on target and it's in.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

I would love to know the ins and outs of how this signing was recommended by Shields. Did he say sign him he’s one for the future or did he say that he’s ready to start now? 

Because he’s well and truly fucked us over if it’s the latter. 

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Worst goalkeeper we have had in my lifetime. And I was at Old Trafford when Taibi played.

Feel sorry for him as just an over promoted kid. 

he has a similar style to kelvin davis goalkeeping wise (premier league davis) absolute shit. though with that comparison he may be good in the lower leagues

28 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

I would love to know the ins and outs of how this signing was recommended by Shields. Did he say sign him he’s one for the future or did he say that he’s ready to start now? 

Because he’s well and truly fucked us over if it’s the latter. 

Called this early on, something stinks about the transfer fee for a youngster from league one 

• Like 2

Just now, JRM said:

Called this early on, something stinks about the transfer fee for a youngster from league one 

All these young players signed for big money from Man City, by the same person who then cleared off within a few months really does stink.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

We spent £15m on a goalkeeper who was playing for a shite League One side last season. 

Rasmus Ankersen OUT. 

It’s amusing reading the first few pages of this thread with comparisons to Shilton and Buffon and his international caps cited as being “seriously impressive” despite them being for a country with a population of 5m and being against, in the main, really shite countries. 

40 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

In a season where Pope, Henderson, Leno and Navas were all available for less than we spent on him as well. 

They weren’t though, even if the transfer and loan fees were low their wages would all have been towards the top of our pay scale. Leno is supposedly on £90k, Henderson over £100k.

We got Baz because he was cheap. We’re still shopping in the £10-15m category which bought decent players in 2014, that’s why we’re going down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

They weren’t though, even if the transfer and loan fees were low their wages would all have been towards the top of our pay scale. Leno is supposedly on £90k, Henderson over £100k.

We got Baz because he was cheap. We’re still shopping in the £10-15m category which bought decent players in 2014, that’s why we’re going down.

Those players would have made enough of a difference to our fortunes that they'd deserve wages to the top end of our pay scale. 

Thought he should have saved it. As someone said he makes mistakes as all keepers do from time to time but there is very little to compensate for those errors as he rarely makes a great save. In a season of shite decisions the decision to play him all season ranks  below the jones appointment but is still pretty instrumental in explaining where we are 

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

All these young players signed for big money from Man City, by the same person who then cleared off within a few months really does stink.

What I also don't understand is why we would be raiding City's academy anyway, if it wasn't for hiring the guy whose reputation depended on us rading them. Where does their reputation for having a great academy come from? The only good player I think they have produced in the last decade is Foden, and Lavia will also soon be considered a major success. That's not a great return for all the money they have spent. Yet we have decided to hand over a huge chunk of money to pick up their youngsters. Lavia may make that investment look okay just by himself, but something stinks i agree.

I would much rather have spent the money raiding Chelsea's academy which at least has produced several EPL players. 

2 hours ago, Galway saint said:

Thought he should have saved it. As someone said he makes mistakes as all keepers do from time to time but there is very little to compensate for those errors as he rarely makes a great save. In a season of shite decisions the decision to play him all season ranks  below the jones appointment but is still pretty instrumental in explaining where we are 

Yep. He has cost us games, this is undeniable. You could stomach this at his age if there were also games where he had kept us in it - there aren't any. 

He has shown improvement, and when we go down I actually would be OK with us keeping him as our number one, but a better keeper may have made the difference in keeping us in this league. 

There is definitely something dodgy in the amount of money we spent on City youngsters under a guy who came from City and then left within 6 months. 

Theres two positions you cant gamble with youth - GK and CB. At least with CB you can partner them with some experience and play a low lying DM to add some protection. For GK, you're on your own and every mistake is magnified. Confidence can be destroyed in a matter of games, as we seen with Gunn before.

Even when the likes of United or Arsenal have relied on youth in the past, it's always been RB, LB, LW, RW or CF. You cant put them in the firing line at GK or CB.

Said before I had no issue with Bazunu being signed to learn under a proper no1, but he should never have been thrust in as no1 himself. We should have went for somebody like Leno in the summer. Hes made a big difference at Fulham

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

It'll be longer than a season. 

Too early to say. On paper we should have a decent squad even after selling a few. For example Che Adams and A Armstrong are both decent championship players who I doubt would interest any Prem sides. It all depends on the finances and how much the owner is willing to stake on a quick return. I don’t have much confidence in them finding the right manager though so you may be right.

I feel for the lad - the pressure on him is immense as we are so s***e anytime the opposition scores it's game over as we don't create chances and when we do cannot convert them.

Our whole squad is so unbalanced and low on quality. 

The clown Bednarek did him no favors today,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Too early to say. On paper we should have a decent squad even after selling a few. For example Che Adams and A Armstrong are both decent championship players who I doubt would interest any Prem sides. It all depends on the finances and how much the owner is willing to stake on a quick return. I don’t have much confidence in them finding the right manager though so you may be right.

I'm particularly worried about both West Ham and Everton coming down with us, they'd dominate the league while we scrape about for the play-offs at best. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, washsaint said:

I feel for the lad - the pressure on him is immense as we are so s***e anytime the opposition scores it's game over as we don't create chances and when we do cannot convert them.

Our whole squad is so unbalanced and low on quality. 

The clown Bednarek did him no favors today,

The guy need’s protecting before this season takes a mental toll on him and the pressure has a detrimental effect on his future.

Not that he’s the answer but maybe it’s time for McCarthy to come back in. Earned himself a payer of the season award in a previous relegation battle so he’s up to the fight.

• Like 1