Saints 1-1 (p6-5) Sheffield Wednesday - Match Thread

Picard

12 hours ago, JRM said:

Yeah crazy really, will be our last home game before a 7 week break so might help attract a bigger crowd. 

The 4th round is the first game back after the World Cup too, going to be a very strange period of football!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think we should go full strength especially with our attackers - give them a real chance to score a goal - hopefully more than one!  The new manager will probably be in the stands so a good opportunity to see whats at his disposal.  Also extends something for us to have a go at outside the relegation battle we are now in so full strength please Ruben!

• Like 1

Should be going alal out for it, and progress in the cup. Agree opportunity for some of ours to remind themselves where the goal is.

Probably shot of confidence, and Wednesday will fancy it (expect Alvechurch would fancy playing our lot at the moment though).

Anyway, who cares ? Results don't matter according to the CEO.

17 minutes ago, Badger said:

Should be going alal out for it, and progress in the cup. Agree opportunity for some of ours to remind themselves where the goal is.

Probably shot of confidence, and Wednesday will fancy it (expect Alvechurch would fancy playing our lot at the moment though).

Anyway, who cares ? Results don't matter according to the CEO.

Good point Semmens won't want more games for him to be away from his family for...

Sheffield Wednesday certainly seem up for this , they've sold nearly 2400 tickets, superb effort for a long midweek trip. They are going well in league one and will fancy their chances against us at the moment. 

Quite a few of our youngsters played for the B team today, would expect plenty of changes but similar to the side who won at Cambridge back in August. 

I think we’ve forgotten amongst everything else going on that there is a game on Wednesday.

We’ll win 3/4-0. I’ve just got a feeling.

These players hopefully will have a bit more freedom. Maybe they’ll be tweaks in formations, positioning etc.

I imagine they’ll be a couple of youngsters in the squad but I think Selles will try to play a largely full strength team. 😁

Get the win and get into the hat for the next round. Will be interesting to see which team Selles picks for this. 

Im expecting Payne to play again given we have no right backs, wouldn’t surprise me if Macca, Diallo, Aribo and Mara all play. I guess they’ll want to be fresh on Saturday despite very little chance of getting a result. 

Full strength (although to be fair I know longer have any idea what tyat is). Selles will want to have a 100% record on his managerial cv.

Be interesting to see players' reactions to the events so far this week. Hopefully they'll come out smiling and spend 90 minutes running around like duracell bunnies overdosed on Red Bull. .

56 minutes ago, tunit said:

Can see Jones being in the stand for this one and he may want to see a strong 11 to see what he has before Liverpool on Saturday.

Don't know how true it is, but a report yesterday said that Saints had agreed to talk with Jones, only after Luton's game this evening. If he is the next manager, you can bet a pound that he will have someone he trusts to watch and report, even if he is not there himself.

2 minutes ago, Piran said:

Don't know how true it is, but a report yesterday said that Saints had agreed to talk with Jones, only after Luton's game this evening. If he is the next manager, you can bet a pound that he will have someone he trusts to watch and report, even if he is not there himself.

I would expect him to be down in Southampton tomorrow finalising personal terms, then at St Marys in the evening for the game.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Full strength (although to be fair I know longer have any idea what tyat is). Selles will want to have a 100% record on his managerial cv.

Be interesting to see players' reactions to the events so far this week. Hopefully they'll come out smiling and spend 90 minutes running around like duracell bunnies overdosed on Red Bull. .

The players like Selles by all accounts. Would expect us to win this game and play with some freedom knowing its a low pressure fresh start. Would not be surprised if Mara gets some time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Get the win and get into the hat for the next round. Will be interesting to see which team Selles picks for this. 

Im expecting Payne to play again given we have no right backs, wouldn’t surprise me if Macca, Diallo, Aribo and Mara all play. I guess they’ll want to be fresh on Saturday despite very little chance of getting a result. 

With luck of the draw there's a really good chance to progress in this competition, some big clubs will be out, next round is midweek before Christmas when many will still be missing world Cup players. Will be a useful fixture to have to get back into it. 

47 minutes ago, JRM said:

next round is midweek before Christmas when many will still be missing world Cup players. Will be a useful fixture to have to get back into it. 

Didn’t know that. If we progress hopefully we pull a home tie, still irks a bit when nearly 6,000 of us trudged up to Sheffield midweek just before Christmas a few years back and were treated to a shocker of a journey and performance.

Would be incredibly stupid to play anything but a strong side. SW will be no pushover…they’re a good team driving for promotion. The club needs a lift by the team putting in a dominant performance and a convincing win. Good time to get new (or interim) manager bounce.

Interestingly someone on here recently suggested Selles was the tactical man in the managerial team. If that’s the case and we see a typical tippy, tappy, backwards and sideways affair, I can see a banana skin and a nasty reaction from fans.

Reckon we’ll scrape it 2-1.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

3 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Didn’t know that. If we progress hopefully we pull a home tie, still irks a bit when nearly 6,000 of us trudged up to Sheffield midweek just before Christmas a few years back and were treated to a shocker of a journey and performance.

Just as I had forgotten about that awful night 🤔

1 hour ago, The Juice said:

Any word on ticket sales, would be nice to have a feel good night under the lights with a good crowd... likely get a drizzly, 0-1 loss in front of 11,000

Won't be a big crowd, to be honest I'm surprised that they opened the whole ground, I remember going to Sheffield United in this round last year and they only opened two stands.

Saints took the back 5 rows off sale all around the ground probably in the hope it won't look so empty if everyone sits further forward. 

Itchen and Kingsland will be quite full, Northam as well especially as Sheffield Wednesday are bringing 2400. 

Chapel end of the ground virtually empty. 

I'd imagine it will be a reasonably strong side. A Armstrong Mara and Aribo need game time. Diallo needs to prove a point and Lyanco loves a cup game. Presumably Mccarthy in goal.

Something like

Mccarthy

Payne Lyanco Ćaleta-Car Peraud

Elyounoussi JWP Diallo Djenepo

Mara Aribo/Armstrong

Not a weak side considering the opposition. No idea of system .... who does!

Key for me is seeing who Ballard or Dibling come on. We need to use either of those two asap.

Edited by macca155

Regardless of the eventual outcome , I'll be interested to see the performances of the young players who are likely to get - even half of a game -

against Wednesday.   The current Academy / Youth set-up is one of the best in living memory and the U18 and B teams are packed with teenagers

(some have already played for their respective countries at their age group)  and are champing at the bit to get some game time.  Bring 'em on say I.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Would be incredibly stupid to play anything but a strong side. SW will be no pushover…they’re a good team driving for promotion. The club needs a lift by the team putting in a dominant performance and a convincing win. Good time to get new (or interim) manager bounce.

Interestingly someone on here recently suggested Selles was the tactical man in the managerial team. If that’s the case and we see a typical tippy, tappy, backwards and sideways affair, I can see a banana skin and a nasty reaction from fans.

Reckon we’ll scrape it 2-1.

A good result here should put Selles in the frame for the top job. Maybe wishful thinking but the NJ link could just be a smokescreen.

I think we'll win this comfortably. Ralph's inevitable departure will have dragged down the players, and that's now dealt with. Whoever the new man is going to be, the players will want to play for their places. I'm hoping we'll see a few kids get some minutes as well. Seeing a few from Ballard, Payne, Morgan, Doyle, Turner would be nice. 

• Like 1

On 08/11/2022 at 13:45, alehouseboys said:

Yeah thanks - just like @Harry_SFC that night was fading quite nicely - I'd done a full days work over the Pennines that day and with a work oppo headed to the game - then in a grumpy mood had to drive him home to Harlow snoring his bloody head off, before carrying on to Ampshoire..............at least after the similar cobblers up at Sunderland season before (?) Under Poch, I only had to drive as far as Sheffield to get my head down (and some else was picking up the tab).

6 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Regardless of the eventual outcome , I'll be interested to see the performances of the young players who are likely to get - even half of a game -

against Wednesday.   The current Academy / Youth set-up is one of the best in living memory and the U18 and B teams are packed with teenagers

(some have already played for their respective countries at their age group)  and are champing at the bit to get some game time.  Bring 'em on say I.  

Not too many kids though, needs a mix like at Cambridge, youngsters have had  few games in Papa John's and physical differences meant they struggled 

I think it will be a mixed squad tonight like it was against Cambridge. Interested to see what Ruben Selles does with the line up. Really want to see Tyler Dibling in the squad tonight :) hopefully a nice comfortable progression to the next round- 3-0 to us - Mara, Edozie and Adam Armstrong to score- COYR :)

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 (p6-5) Sheffield Wednesday - Match Thread
  • St Chalet unpinned this topic