January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

21 minutes ago, The Juice said:

I'm concerned that this all feels a little deja vu. We absolutely need to bring in attacking option/s. If we do not sign a striker, and one that has a significant impact, we are in real trouble. 

I guess you could argue that the two signings are attacking signings, but you are right, a striker is still a pressing need. It looks like we have put a bid in for Moffi weeks ago and asked about loans for Jackson and Ings (without success), so the club hasn't been sat on its hands. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Moffi will go to West Ham. They throw money around very easily. 

The fact we’ve been linked with Semenyo I think indicates the kind of player we’re looking for in the striker department; young, “promising” etc.

Personally I don’t think there’s anything in the Ings rumours, but no doubt we’d all take him back in a heartbeat.

Thought Moffi was going to Nice.

I wouldn't take Ings back in a heartbeat, he isn't the player he was the season before he left, 13 PL goals in 1.5 seasons with Villa even if not injured is not exactly scintillating. Always liked Ings but players do actually get worse towards the end of their career.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Thought Moffi was going to Nice.

I wouldn't take Ings back in a heartbeat, he isn't the player he was the season before he left, 13 PL goals in 1.5 seasons with Villa even if not injured is not exactly scintillating. Always liked Ings but players do actually get worse towards the end of their career.

Ings is 30 not quite at end yet.

If the answer is yes he is better than what we currently have why wouldn’t we sign him?

Edited by Give it to Ron

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

Why do you say that?  

You mentioned the lad at Bristol being 5 8 and that being out of kilter (or something like that) so just thought I’d give you a comparison 

don’t think we’ll go for him as he has a good record this season but not great over all when looking at clubs etc on transfer market 

Edited by Toadhall Saint
Hit submit to early

13 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

You mentioned the lad at Bristol being 5 8 and that being out of kilter (or something like that) so just thought I’d give you a comparison 

don’t think we’ll go for him as he has a good record this season but not great over all when looking at clubs etc on transfer market 

Cool. I wasn't questioning why you listed his height by the way, just wondered why you didn't think we would sign Estupinan.

Im hoping these championship links are a distraction for who we're really after. We need a top tier striker who is capable of chipping in with 7/8 goals during the run in this season. While I appreciate NJs comment about the Championship previously that its the fifth? best league, as we've seen first hand with AA it doesnt really matter how many you score as the PL is a different beast. AA was much more prolific than Estupinan or Semenyo. Perhaps I'm wrong but I have my reservations and it feels like we're opting for the cheaper options when our safety is the most at risk as it has been in 5 years

• Like 1

1 minute ago, manji said:

I agree the Gapko was a fuck up. 

Why will it, or why do you think, it will be any different this month ? 

Not sure based on a couple of your earlier posts if you are posting with some knowledge or if speculating like the rest of us. 

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

None of the names that we are being linked with in the Championship are really inspiring me. I think I'd take Ings over all of those guys

Ditto.

Even with his injury record I’d prefer Ings to either of the latest Championship strikers named recently.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All I want is a bloke who can score the goals that we so desperately need to keep us up this year. If it’s Ings on loan or on a 3 year contract it makes no odds to me. Yes he is injury prone, yes he left under dubious  circumstances but he puts away half chances which is twice as much as anyone else currently at the club can do. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Not that I'm aware of. More a case that he doesn't suit their system according to a Villa supporting mate.

All the comments I'm seeing on here about him being past it, too injury prone etc... it's exactly the same guff that a lot of people posted when he signed first time round. 

Not exactly guff, he was unfit for two of the three seasons he played here. Granted he had the season of his life in the middle but I wouldn’t bet on that being the one he replicates again my time soon.

• Like 1

Because of the struggles for many Championship/oversees players to hit the ground running, for me, Ings makes the most sense. However, spending £15-20m and playing £100k+ a week is a huge commitment, so a loan would be ideal. Sounds like Villa don't want that, so it's all or nothing, possibly.

Having watched the Semenyo video Chez posted:

- Would be amazed if he is actually 5'8, seems a but taller and is quite strong. Actually quite similar to Adams in some of his strength on the ball.

- Nice finishes with both feet

- Good weight of pass on both fit with many assists

- Telling actions from both right and left side of the pitch

Not saying we should sign him, but he looks like a good player and one that could combine well with other players. 

More of an Adams competition/cover rather than replacement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Not exactly guff, he was unfit for two of the three seasons he played here. Granted he had the season of his life in the middle but I wouldn’t bet on that being the one he replicates again my time soon.

And yet he’s already scored 6 pl goals this season, more than all of our current strikers combined.

He’s not perfect but he’s significantly better than anything we currently have. I simply don’t understand people turning their nose up at him. We need premier league goals and he scores them.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Because of the struggles for many Championship/oversees players to hit the ground running, for me, Ings makes the most sense. However, spending £15-20m and playing £100k+ a week is a huge commitment, so a loan would be ideal. Sounds like Villa don't want that, so it's all or nothing, possibly.

To be honest, if he scores the goals that ultimately keep us up, the fee and wages will be excellent value

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, coalman said:

Never go back. Players towards the end of their careers going back to a former club never seems to end well. I don't think Ings returning would be Cristiano Ronaldo bad but I don't see there being a deal which works for everyone here. He was a great servant for the club while we had him and we got a decent wodge of cash. Suspect Villa would ask more than we're willing to pay as would the man himself and that's before concerns over his ability to manage his body as he gets older.

I know what you’re saying (and I have obvious doubts about his fitness, same as when we signed him from Liverpool) but hopefully a return to Saints would turn out more Mick Channon than Theo Walcott.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CityRanger said:

I know what you’re saying (and I have obvious doubts about his fitness, same as when we signed him from Liverpool) but hopefully a return to Saints would turn out more Mick Channon than Theo Walcott.

in terms of his fitness, I'm not sure he's missed all that may games due to injury over the last 18 months. Transfemarkt has him missing 5 games last season and one this, although none are actually confirmed as due to injury (just listed as "not in squad") but perhaps were.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, manji said:

The only reason it seems to me some numb nuts want Ings back is because he is familiar. The same fools that booed Mane when he came here.

I'd take ings back on a loan for the rest of the season, or worst case for circa £10M, and both of those if we're desperate and can't get anyone else in. Otherwise yes, i agree.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Transfermarkt has him playing CF and RW, as do most of his highlights. Haven't seen much of Villareal though, so could be wrong.

All  I know about the bloke is that he either scored or had a good game (half I think at that) against us once. 

Bit of a 'Nathan Redmond' type of endorsement really, so on that note not too bothered if we sign him or not. 

Salisu being linked to Monaco and Marseille perhaps explains why their were rumoured to have been looking at another CB. I suspect we would be reluctant to let him go half way through the season due to the time it might take to bring his replacement up to speed, but I guess if the money was too good to turn down. I'd be surprised if either offered us silly money though, so he'll be here until the summer.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Badger said:

All  I know about the bloke is that he either scored or had a good game (half I think at that) against us once. 

Bit of a 'Nathan Redmond' type of endorsement really, so on that note not too bothered if we sign him or not. 

Yep, only played one half. Set up their first goal with a Broja type run down the wing at 0:47. 

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Salisu being linked to Monaco and Marseille perhaps explains why their were rumoured to have been looking at another CB. I suspect we would be reluctant to let him go half way through the season due to the time it might take to bring his replacement up to speed, but I guess if the money was too good to turn down. I'd be surprised if either offered us silly money though, so he'll be here until the summer.

We have got Lyanco remember.........!

5 hours ago, Chez said:

Thanks for the info.

Do any Championship players signed (and not those coming up in their promoted side) make an immediate impact in the Prem? I'm thinking of the likes of Benrahma, Olise, Sessegnon, Bowen, Jacob Murphy, James Justin, Fabio Carvalho, Lewis-Potter and of course Che and Armstrong? 

Ollie Watkins

but, yeah, not a whole lot.

I for one would be chuffed if Ings were to come back. We know what he can do, he was brilliant for us. Everyone else is essentially a gamble in comparison, and I'm pretty sure it would give this squad a lift too, will slot right in.

I really, really would rather avoid another Championship striker, we need someone who we know can hit the ground running and get us out of the situation we're in right now, not roll the dice.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Im hoping these championship links are a distraction for who we're really after. We need a top tier striker who is capable of chipping in with 7/8 goals during the run in this season. While I appreciate NJs comment about the Championship previously that its the fifth? best league, as we've seen first hand with AA it doesnt really matter how many you score as the PL is a different beast. AA was much more prolific than Estupinan or Semenyo. Perhaps I'm wrong but I have my reservations and it feels like we're opting for the cheaper options when our safety is the most at risk as it has been in 5 years

Most of what you say is very valid, but amongst the many lower league players who will not be able to step up are some real gems, identifying them is the real skill.  Lambert and Vardi just two obvious candidates, our issue at this stage is we need a striker to hit the ground running and therefore the only solution is a proven prem level striker, and finding and affording one of those is equally challenging.

1 hour ago, saints-cris said:

I for one would be chuffed if Ings were to come back. We know what he can do, he was brilliant for us. Everyone else is essentially a gamble in comparison, and I'm pretty sure it would give this squad a lift too, will slot right in.

I really, really would rather avoid another Championship striker, we need someone who we know can hit the ground running and get us out of the situation we're in right now, not roll the dice.

If we are realistic we probably need a striker that can contribute four or five extra goals in the rest of the season as that is likely to make the difference. It sounds unambitious, but if Adams had scored perhaps two or three of the chances missed so far then we would not be in the bottom three now. I think Ings is the best bet on that basis.

If we are cosidering bringing in Danny Ings we need to push the boat out and buy another goal scoring forward that allows Ings to be substituted and can take over some of the match time whilst covering if the worst happens and he picks up an injury. 

9 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Looks like Forest are going for Wood, who seemed a popular choice amongst some posters on here when the window opened.

It worries me that this team of individuals is going to click, we are already 5 points behind them.

Think Wood is just what we need to be honest.  Him and Adams as a front two would be a handful and decent IMO.

• Like 4