January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm not getting my hopes up at all....but...Sulemana and Vitinha is EXACTLY what we need, more pace and ability on the flanks and across the front, and a proper number 9 with a physical presence in the Broja mould.

That would likely be a £50m+ outlay, which would be unheard of for us and it would take our total season spend to well over £100m.

It would be a very unusual day if we do this, part of me thinks it’s 1 or the other though. – and if I had a choice, it would be Vitinha as that’s what we need more of.

Have you Sulemana play? Like most I had never heard of him until a few days ago, same as Vitinha. Iam insular and only really follow English football

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Have you Sulemana play? Like most I had never heard of him until a few days ago, same as Vitinha. Iam insular and only really follow English football

Sulemna at the WC, but no more that. But it's obvious to see that he's quick, and attribute wise we lack quick players in that final third - so straight away it would be a win on pace alone. I have seen Vitinha for Braga a couple of times, proper number 9 type, good runner with the ball. Not overally glamerous or technically amazing, I wouldn't say, but he's a bit of a presence - which we lack at the mo.

11 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Cant find any planes from the following airports scheduled, on the ground or en-route to us or Farnborough.

Vitinha - Porto/Braga/Vigo

Sulemana - Rennes

Maybe someone with actual access might be helpful but spare a thought to the person who has to organise these last minute flights.

Maybe they're already in the country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Sulemna at the WC, but no more that. But it's obvious to see that he's quick, and attribute wise we lack quick players in that final third - so straight away it would be a win on pace alone. I have seen Vitinha for Braga a couple of times, proper number 9 type, good runner with the ball. Not overally glamerous or technically amazing, I wouldn't say, but he's a bit of a presence - which we lack at the mo.

Ok thansks, hopefully Vitinha can put the ball away

26 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm not getting my hopes up at all....but...Sulemana and Vitinha is EXACTLY what we need, more pace and ability on the flanks and across the front, and a proper number 9 with a physical presence in the Broja mould.

That would likely be a £50m+ outlay, which would be unheard of for us and it would take our total season spend to well over £100m.

It would be a very unusual day if we do this, part of me thinks it’s 1 or the other though. – and if I had a choice, it would be Vitinha as that’s what we need more of.

Can't see it happening but if we do and then we go down would be a level of irony to have one of our biggest spends in years, something the fans have been demanding, to then fail....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Can't see it happening but if we do and then we go down would be a level of irony to have one of our biggest spends in years, something the fans have been demanding, to then fail....

and every future owner will beat us with that stick every transfer window into eternity

3 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Absolutley, very strange if that comes to fruition. But even though we did spend a good chunk, I don't think we have executed it right. Lots of unproven kids who are wilting at the pressure, which was always the risk. Would have been good to see some more seasoned players signed in the summer with more than youth football as their background, in addition to a striker as we never replaced Broja - can't underestimate how important a forward is for any team, no matter how much you spend elsewhere.

So spending alone isn't the problem, it's how it was spent and the positions we have (so far) neglected to fix. That's why we are where we are.

• Like 3

So spending alone isn't the problem, it's how it was spent and the positions we have (so far) neglected to fix. That's why we are where we are.

Yup, how it was spent and, just as crucially, when it was spent.

If we'd addressed the front line issue during the summer, and found a better goalkeeping solution, then we'd probably be sat with 9-12 more points on the board.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Absolutley, very strange if that comes to fruition. But even though we did spend a good chunk, I don't think we have executed it right. Lots of unproven kids who are wilting at the pressure, which was always the risk. Would have been good to see some more seasoned players signed in the summer with more than youth football as their background, in addition to a striker as we never replaced Broja - can't underestimate how important a forward is for any team, no matter how much you spend elsewhere.

Spending absolutely is the problem, we're still shopping in the £15m area we were when we first came up. That just doesn't buy decent players these days, it buys kids, Championship players and Elyounoussis, which is exactly what we've ended up with.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, iansums said:

If we do get Vitinha and Sulemana then we've got a lot of players we need to move on.

We do anyway 😂

Walcott, AMB (loan), Ely, Willy, Adams, Diallo, Stu, Stephens, Salisu and possibly a couple of others (Tella, Smallbone and McCarthy?) - all out of contract in the next 6 or 18 months and need letting go or selling. Plus Djenepo, Adam A and Lyanco who aren’t good enough.

We also had barely 20 over age players in the squad so have plenty of space for improvements, even with those we’ve already added.

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Spending absolutely is the problem, we're still shopping in the £15m area we were when we first came up. That just doesn't buy decent players these days, it buys kids, Championship players and Elyounoussis, which is exactly what we've ended up with.

Then the next minute youre screaming you don’t want the club spending Monopoly money when we’re Linked with 25-30m players. Make your mind up

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Beat me to it, most PL clubs are routinely spending 25-30m, and we still shop around this piddly 12-15m window. At some point we need to get with the times and start spending more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Then the next minute youre screaming you don’t want the club spending Monopoly money when we’re Linked with 25-30m players. Make your mind up

Nice try but I've never objected to us trying to sign a £25m player. I objected to spending over the odds (someone on here even suggested we pay litterally double) on a £6m player to, "just pay whatever they want and get it done FFS!"

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Nice try but I've never objected to us trying to sign a £25m player. I objected to spending over the odds (someone on here even suggested we pay litterally double) on a £6m player to, "just pay whatever they want and get it done FFS!"

I don’t remember anyone saying we should pay £12m for a £6m player. I do remember there being a £2m or so delta between what we were reported to have offered and what the selling club wanted and it being said we are desperate and not negotiating from a position of strength so sometimes we might have to pay more than we’d like so we don’t miss out on key targets when we desperately need them 

Yeah, I think the Vitinha one can be firmly put in the Gakpo realm now. Not happening, shows what nonsense comes up on twitter in days like this.

Ojogo are a very solid source in Portugal, they had an article up earlier this morning saying he'd chosen Marseille - then took it down quickly, obviously not confirmed at that point, but it's back up there now. He's going there, on a plane now.

Vitinha in Marseille in a transfer that goes into the history of Braga (ojogo.pt)

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, I think the Vitinha one can be firmly put in the Gakpo realm now. Not happening, shows what nonsense comes up on twitter in days like this.

Ojogo are a very solid source in Portugal, they had an article up earlier this morning saying he'd chosen Marseille - then took it down quickly, obviously not confirmed at that point, but it's back up there now. He's going there, on a plane now.

Vitinha in Marseille in a transfer that goes into the history of Braga (ojogo.pt)

Ayew it is then 

13 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Spending isn't the  main problem. We've offered asking price only for another club to be chosen by the player because we are bottom of the league with a rooky manager, not an attractive prospect.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

People on here pretend it isn’t hard to sign any attackers

It is incredibly difficult, you either sign someone from the championship and cross your fingers they make the step up, or you try and sign someone from overseas and cross your fingers no one else wants wants them. 

• Like 2

Well he was nailed on to be signing for Brighton last night, so we'll just wait until hes holding up the OM shirt

Just now, Master Bates said:

Just about to walk past the Stadium.

If there's a Sky Sports crew I'll wave, stick my tongue out and make moronic animal noises.

I'll be the one in blue.

Do you happen to be carrying anything that resembles a pink dildo?

• Haha 2

Might just switch off my phone until 11.01pm. 

Were transfer windows always like this? Getting close to players and then other clubs coming in last minute? Or is it now just a case that it’s always been like this but it’s now just heavily reported on?

Either way, it’s not fun. 

Isn’t it funny how the last two transfer windows are comically going exact same way,a lot of us predicted we wouldn’t go for striker till the last day..

we could have activated vitinha’s release clause on the 1st of jan if we wanted him but just like gakpo wait until right until the end., it’s also looking totally weird  the way most of the window has us penny pinching for cheap players.. we were even lowballing on Orsic for about 5 mil when he looked a total bargain anyway .. but then we seem to get the 30 m links at end of the window just like last time that never happen..

it’s all a bit fishy really 😵💫 how can you just keep making same mistakes and not rectifying the problems 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Isn’t it funny how the last two transfer windows are comically going exact same way a lot of us predicted we wouldn’t go for striker till the last day..

we could have activated vitinha’s release clause on the 1st if Ian if we wanted him but just like gakpo wait until right until the end., it’s also looking totally weird  the way most of the window has us penny pinching for cheap players.. we were even lowballing on Orsic for about 5 mil when he looked a total bargain anyway .. but then we seem to get the 30 m links at end of the window just like last time that never happen..

it’s all a bit fishy really 😵💫 how can you just keep making same mistakes and not rectifying the problems 

Why do you think every club does a lot of big business on the last day. Players become available throughout the window, and want to maximise their deals by holding out for the best offer. Some players would just have told us to do one on day 1, but by waiting you might get a player who doesn't have any better options anymore. 

We may well have activated the transfer clause on the first day, but the player wanted to wait until the end, who knows! Transfers are very complex pieces of business that do no happen on the last day. For instance we were discussing last week for Paul Onuachu, so even if that goes through today, we didn't leave it until the last minute. 

• Like 1