January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

24 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Is it safe to start watching YouTube videos on this guy yet? I avoided doing that for Gapko just to avoid the disappointment.

It does sound as if Alcaraz is being signed as our CM option, it doesn't seem as if he's a wide attacker.

I don’t see how he’s the tough tackling midfielder we need. i’ve heard he’s aggressive but from the clips he seems nothing more than a flair luxury player. 

10 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Since when is he? 

His last England cap was 2020, this would be England who's centre-back talent pool is so great that Harry Maguire is a nailed on starter despite being in the worst form of his life for the last year pretty much and making horrendous mistakes with regularity. During which period Tyrone Mings, who has struggled to get into poor Villa side has got into the England team ahead of Keane.

This is also Keane who can't get into a terrible Everton team this season and was part of that same bad Everton team last year.

At his best he was never that good, average at best and that 'best' was like 3-4 years ago. 

'Experienced' PL player, AKA, over rated English dross that will be on high wages. He is not better than what we have got, I'd rather have Stephens back to be honest. 

Since when is he what ? 

So you wouldn’t take Maguire then ? 

clown 

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Maybe even the Skates. It's funny, I know it is but I never really think of Southampton as really being on the South Coast. Something to do with Southampton Water I suppose.

Yes, in the same way Exeter isn’t considered on the south coast……

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I can't see him being the "6" that we need, seems more of a replacement for Elyounoussi/Armstrong, which is not a bad thing. Still probably need a holding midf though.

Is he a centre back? 6, one for the old school there when 6 played alongside 5, with 4 and 8 in front. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Keane better and more experienced in the premier league than the dross we have at the back currently. Cracks me up, let’s get some experienced premier league players in, when we are linked with them “nah don’t want him” 😂😂 29 year old, over 200 prem appearances, 12 England caps

Not sure what some people want or expect us to be able to get 

this.. there have been calls and wild gesticulation for adding experienced players on this squad while complaining that all we have bought is a bunch of teenagers.

Keane seem like the type of experienced veteran that everyone has been clamouring for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DT said:

I didn't effing quote it. They are words I used without seeing yours. Get over yourself!

1 hour ago, trousers said:

image.thumb.png.03763f250190aa7389cc611ff7b68200.png

I hope @DTnever considers a life of crime. If he's caught he's going to need the best defence lawyer ever 🤣

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Since when is he what ? 

So you wouldn’t take Maguire then ? 

clown 

Better than what we have got, which he clearly isn’t. 

Since when are talking Maguire exactly? I said he couldn’t get near the England team and Maguire and Mings are hardly a low bar to clear but Keane is too crap for that and is too crap to even get in an awful Everton team but clowns like you clamour for this experience nonsense apparently contrary to all evidence he’s good now. The nonsense people spout on here. Keane is crap and would be a crap signing. 

20 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Better than what we have got, which he clearly isn’t. 

Since when are talking Maguire exactly? I said he couldn’t get near the England team and Maguire and Mings are hardly a low bar to clear but Keane is too crap for that and is too crap to even get in an awful Everton team but clowns like you clamour for this experience nonsense apparently contrary to all evidence he’s good now. The nonsense people spout on here. Keane is crap and would be a crap signing. 

So lyanco is better than Keane 😂 Stephens is better than Keane 😂

Salisu makes less errors than Keane 😂

You mention him not being able to get into an Everton defence which has conceded a lot less than saints have, and has Coady and Tarkowski in it, yet you would prefer Stephens.. how’s he doing at Bournemouth ? Played more games for the under 21 hasn’t he.

You are funny 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, obelisk said:

"6" is left half isn't it? That's what it was in my day.

He's an 8 according to what I read - he sits ontop of the diamond (something Jones likes playing) and drifts into the box late.

See him being the link up man with the forwards and JWP and Lavia behind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

I can't see him being the "6" that we need, seems more of a replacement for Elyounoussi/Armstrong, which is not a bad thing. Still probably need a holding midf though.

For the youtube video I saw was he might be more of a replacement for Diallo. A central midfield guy that will nip in, steal the ball and then drive into space to turn defence into attack. However, he has the ball skills to perhaps plat in the hole - as Aribo did on Saturday. Hard to say as our formation changes by the hour.

1 hour ago, SaintTex said:

this.. there have been calls and wild gesticulation for adding experienced players on this squad while complaining that all we have bought is a bunch of teenagers.

Keane seem like the type of experienced veteran that everyone has been clamouring for.

Not everyone.

Personally, even in this window, I'd still we rather bring in a 21 year old ABK than a 29 year old Keane. Quality, over experience, perhaps goalkeeper being a slight exception. However, judging quality is tough when players come from youth football and lower leagues.

That said, I don't know if Keane is good or not. Can't remember watching him, so not saying he wouldn't be a good signing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Not everyone.

Personally, even in this window, I'd still we rather bring in a 21 year old ABK than a 29 year old Keane. Quality, over experience, perhaps goalkeeper being a slight exception. However, judging quality is tough when players come from youth football and lower leagues.

That said, I don't know if Keane is good or not. Can't remember watching him, so not saying he wouldn't be a good signing.

I think he was the defender who lost the ball when AA scored in the first game of last season.

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not everyone.

Completely agree, most of the players people moan about or want out the team are our experienced players (Moi, Che, AMN, Aribo) - but Lavia and ABK are already seen as vital pieces in the puzzle. Good players are what we need. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saint IQ said:

No signings will be confirmed until very late tomorrow more likely Wednesday. Looks like that Argentinian player is 100% if he passes a medical seeing as Racing tweeted it! Hopefully more than just him this week.

Arrives in the UK 8am, medical at 2pm, contracts signed/exchanged, photos and promo done. yeah, late tomorrow or early Wednesday you'd think. 

Wondered what peeps thought about the speed of our transfers. There was the usual moaning as to why we dint have players lined up on day 1. Two signings in first ten? days of the window - is that good enough for everyone? 

• Like 7

Just now, Chez said:

Arrives in the UK 8am, medical at 2pm, contracts signed/exchanged, photos and promo done. yeah, late tomorrow or early Wednesday you'd think. 

Wondered what peeps thought about the speed of our transfers. There was the usual moaning as to why we dint have players lined up on day 1. Two signings in first ten? days of the window - is that good enough for everyone? 

Yeah I think it was nonsense if anyone expected a signing on day 1, given Christmas/bank holidays and the such!

We've moved quickly in my opinion, almost got the 2nd and we're on the 9th Jan. Still a bit nervy that we haven't got that key centre forward though. That's one I'd have hoped we'd have lined up a bit earlier.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah I think it was nonsense if anyone expected a signing on day 1, given Christmas/bank holidays and the such!

We've moved quickly in my opinion, almost got the 2nd and we're on the 9th Jan. Still a bit nervy that we haven't got that key centre forward though. That's one I'd have hoped we'd have lined up a bit earlier.

The way I see it, is if we are going to play one up front, then Che can do that job for the next couple of games, we just need more `on a plate chances' that these first couple of signings can hopefully help create. I think the new striker won't be too far behind these two, be that Jackson, Moffi, Beto or whoever. These signings are not going to solve all our ills. We have to get things going as a side, get confidence back, get things going. I know things looks terrible right now, and they may get much worse, but should we somehow beat Everton, (yeah I know) things could really change very quickly. I live in hope, always.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don’t agree with you. It’s not like you start negotiations in January. They could and should have had a new striker in the door to play against Forest, we have known we’ve needed a striker since Broja went back to Chelsea last May. 

A new striker would have lifted the fans, and who knows, might have been the difference between us winning and losing against Forest! 

IMO, this is not a standard window, because we are bottom and desperate. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

While we are waiting on further news of strikers i found this good blog on Beto and his journey to Udinese, just google translate it.

Seems like a nice guy except for being a chelsea fan cos of Eto.

https://www.cronachedispogliatoio.it/beto-intervista-cronache/

liked him before, like him more now. Hope we plan for the beto plan. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Bobby Moore was a 6 so how far back are we going? 4-4-2, jumpers for goalposts, happy days 😊

‘Traditional’ 4, 5 and 6 has many variations and does my OCD no good at all!

For me in traditional numbers it’s 5 and 6 as centre backs, 4 the holding midfielder. But there’s been plenty of exceptions to that especially non UK where 4 was often used as a CB, I seem to recall Roy Keane was a 6 in proper shirt numbers at Forest.  I also seem to remember Ray Wilkins  playing as a 5 at some points, and Kevin Ratcliffe always had 4 as CB at Everton. Ronald Koeman was a 4 for years. And of course Ralph always referred to Romeu as the 6.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

‘Traditional’ 4, 5 and 6 has many variations and does my OCD no good at all!

For me in traditional numbers it’s 5 and 6 as centre backs, 

That was always the case for me, Mel Blyth, Jim Steele 5 and 6. . McGrath No 5. 

I think Liverpool broke with the tradition when Ray Kennedy started regularly wearing 5 and playing MF. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Hope it’s not the lad from Middlesbrough.. !  We want Beto of moffi stop going cheap saints and get it done  

6 hours ago, charliemiller said:

Personally I would rather have Beto , watch the youtube content he is very direct rapid , reminds me of a Faster Broja and good in the air 6ft 5 will cost less than Moffi 

Not sure about that, was a press report - nothing to do with us - that Udinese wanted c €30m. Although they wouldn't get that it does show where they are looking to haggle from which isn't far off Moffi.

4 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Are SSN no closer to working out who the two players on the south coast were? Cant count Alcaraz either as hes not in country yet.

Hopefully Jackson and Beto

They're actually counting Alcaraz. Basically they have no idea.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chez said:

liked him before, like him more now. Hope we plan for the beto plan. 

Beto looks perfect for us. A big powerful centre forward who looks quick and has good skill. He's strong in the air and scores plenty of goals. Hope we get him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

Can I just say, Ref: Keane, because a player was sh1t at one club it doesn’t mean he’ll be sh1t at every club. Sometimes it just doesn’t suit the player or they need a fresh start.

Was just about to post exactly this. I always liked Keane, lost his way at Everton but he was quality there initially and before that. Thing is, we don't even need him to be THAT good to be an improvement. 

32 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Are SSN no closer to working out who the two players on the south coast were? Cant count Alcaraz either as hes not in country yet.

Hopefully Jackson and Beto

Lyall from SSN said on Twitter that Argentinian striker Alcaraz was in Southampton whilst he was actually just bordering a plane in Argentina, so I think it's worth taking what they say with a pinch of salt.

On the off chance they are right about 2 players close, they definitely meant Alcaraz as one of them given Lyall's tweet.

44 minutes ago, Badger said:

That was always the case for me, Mel Blyth, Jim Steele 5 and 6. . McGrath No 5. 

I think Liverpool broke with the tradition when Ray Kennedy started regularly wearing 5 and playing MF. 

I first saw Tommy Smith play at West Ham in the 1960s he wore number 10 but was a CB

1 hour ago, SOTONSEASTSIDE said:

In your dreams Chez. As much a skate ,as you are!!  ST holder Kingsland row H, seat 930  poppet OK!!

since you jojned, five minutes ago, every post has been negative. Naturally, I thought you were a skate...just adding fuel to the fire. I guess being positive after watching Saints isn't easy.