Bournemouth 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

Bournemouth will psych themselves out like they usually do when they play us at home. 2-1 to Saints.

Thats my optimistic, please God I have to live in this town mentality.

In realistic terms I’m dreading it unless one of our “strikers” suddenly remembers what that thing with a net each end of the pitch is for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Based on what? I’m not sure Guardiola could do too much with the current lot. A team with no goal scorers will always struggle. 

I also, will never want us to lose so the manager gets sacked. Especially in such a big game. 

It’s highly likely we’ll get relegated anyway, unless we spend a load on money in Jan which let’s be honest, probably isn’t going to happen. 

Guardiola isn't a good example, he would definitely struggle with our squad limitations. I think this is one area Ralph is hopeless, he tries to get a team  to do more than they are capable of, particularly when we went through the high press burnout phase, I still think he tries to be too clever. A better example would be Sean Dyche, he can get a mob performing at a level above the sum of the parts. I would have Dyche in a heartbeat, I understand a lot wouldn't, but that may change when we are starting to get cut adrift. Before anyone points out he got relegated, or as good as, he had little investment 3 seasons and and injury crisis to deal with. 

Win or bust. Until SR get the balls to sack Ralph we need to at least maintain a point a game ratio to give the new manager a chance. 11 from 11 is crap but it's a damn sight better than 8 from 11 with tougher fixtures to come.

I'm still genuinely worried about this season. I largely missed the West Ham game as it was a very busy birthday weekend so can't comment on that but the fact that even the likes of Bournemouth are picking up results shows there are no real weak teams bar Forest as you'd assume with the quality Leicester have they'll come good eventually. 

Losing ABK for any length of time could be a massive bummer too. Roll on January.

4 hours ago, wild-saint said:

Id bring Edozie in for Aribo. Despite Aribo being one of the few players that can score in our side, his all round play is a bit shyte in my opinion. I cant make up my mind if he is lazy or just doesn't understand what is required from him without the ball. Seems to ball watch and fail to track his man and a liability away from home.

He seems a bit of a luxury player in a side that needs to do the basics better and it surprises me not that no other Prem club was in for a player that was available for about £8m.

On the other side of the coin he can be a match winner but 1 game in 5 or 6 isnt enough when he offers little in the other games. 

On  a positive note I guess this post will guarantee a winning goal from Aribo against then cherries.

I would also drop him after Sunday. He looked miles off the pace and offered us nothing.

In general I don't regard him as lazy. He certainly isn't busy and his languid style doesn't help. That said, he only really effects the game when he has the ball. He has great feet, but unless you get him in the right areas with the ball, he's ineffective. I'd like to see Edozie get more minutes. We need a lot more from our `flair' players (and have done for several seasons). 

Like you say, if he plays, he's bound to score.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I don't regard him as lazy. He certainly isn't busy and his languid style doesn't help

I think he is lazy, though even if you don't think so, everyone must see replacing fairly hard working players with players such as Aribo and AMN in the starting XI is definitely a step down in intensity. AMN in particular looks like he dosen't give a care in the world and even JWP looks like he's given up. With other teams such as B'mouth, Everton, even Forest to a point looking like they'll put up a fight it just reeks of relegation. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

I think he is lazy, though even if you don't think so, everyone must see replacing fairly hard working players with players such as Aribo and AMN in the starting XI is definitely a step down in intensity. AMN in particular looks like he dosen't give a care in the world and even JWP looks like he's given up. With other teams such as B'mouth, Everton, even Forest to a point looking like they'll put up a fight it just reeks of relegation. 

I slated Aribo's performance on Sunday. He did nothing. There was no intensity at all, so you have a point. I struggled to know where he was even meant to be playing. Tracking runners is perhaps not his game, but in our set up it's required. 

Not seen AMN live in the flesh yet, so I won't comment on him. Our midfield certainly got run ragged by West Hams on sunday.

JWP give up? He may not be playing well or effective, but not sure his effort can be doubted.

• Like 2

On 17/10/2022 at 12:30, DT said:

2-0 to Bournemouth. We'll say surely he should be sacked now. They won't sack him. And the cycle starts again. Pull your effing finger out, board.

I tend to ignore your predictions as you always go for the defeat, with some relish it seems.

On Sunday I was thinking there looked a lack of urgency on the closing down, and bang, Rice scores. Looking back on the replay he did a nice one two, but was allowed an appalling amount of space.

Tomorrow I'm not sure how to call it. You can see why there was a delay in playing AMN as he looked knacked after the first half and is obviously not premier league fit yet but who do you bring in as an alternative? Stu has the odd flash but is not back to his best, which may also be a fitness/post injury thing, so best off the bench. Che is due a goal and he can't go on working so hard without some reward, so I'm grabbing at that particular straw.

It's about time we had a free kick in a dangerous area so maybe start Edozie or Djenepo. Caleta-Carr seems a decent enough replacement for ABK and was rather thrown in the deep end on Sunday so hope that baptism of fire helps his integration.

Elyonoussi I find frustrating: there's a player in there but he lacks that yard of pace and doesn't quite make up for it with the anticipation and positional sense that you saw with a slowing down Jimmy Case or Alan Ball.

The goal aside there was no lack of battling in the second half on Sunday, but goodness we need a spark or a bit of luck up front in the next game.

7 hours ago, Pilchards said:

How on earth can you guys want us to win this if it means we stick with clueless Ralph.

Just look at our points tally and league position.

We don't have the luxury of being picky about where our wins come from.

• Like 4

It's a must win. 4 points from West Ham/Bournemouth and a bit less pressure going into Arsenal where I'd actually back us to perform.

I think he gets the Arsenal game pretty much no matter what, but he has to go afterwards if we can't beat Bournemouth tomorrow. Anyone suggesting it'd be better for us to lose this game is embarrassing. 

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Anyone got any parking recommendations, and pubs near the ground ?

Mello Mello Bar in Boscombe was our pub a couple of years ago. But most places in Bournemouth will let us in I guess. 

15 hours ago, Pilchards said:

PS JWP, KWP, Armstrong & Adams are a shadow of what they have been for Saints and these 4 players NEED a new manager to kick start them again.

Adams is exactly the same as Adams has always been. A modest physical presence who can't finish. He's got 2 goals in 9 games, meaning he's on track to get about 8 goals this season, which is basically what he got last season and the season before.

Until last season HE HADN"T SCORED A GOAL WITH HIS HEAD IN HIS ENTIRE PROFESSIONAL CAREER FFS.

The others you have a point, but the problem with Adams isn't regression, it's not replacing him with better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DT said:

He’s going to pick Walcott, isn’t he? Last throw of the shit dice

We've not even seen him come on from the bench, so to start him would be desperate. Edozie and Djenepo ought to start ahead of him IMO. At some point, one of these attacking midfielders has to do something.  I thought we got rid of Redmond because we wanted more pace/chances created. Not seen much of either from any of his replacements.

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

We've not even seen him come on from the bench, so to start him would be desperate. Edozie and Djenepo ought to start ahead of him IMO. At some point, one of these attacking midfielders has to do something.  I thought we got rid of Redmond because we wanted more pace/chances created. Not seen much of either from any of his replacements.

Redmond was better than them all last season, so I was shocked when he was let go.  Would be starting every week for me.

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Redmond was better than them all last season, so I was shocked when he was let go.  Would be starting every week for me.

He has barely featured for his new club since joining them, 2 starts, 3 sub appearances, no assists, no goals........he really wasn't that good!

• Like 1

On 18/10/2022 at 07:34, Pilchards said:

How on earth can you guys want us to win this if it means we stick with clueless Ralph.

I got utterly slated on here for saying we had fans that were so anti the manager that they went into games wanting us to lose. I can't imagine going into games cheering on the opposition. You must be one of the happiest saints "fans" out there lately though.

Whilst the players are trying they get support. If the results warrant it, you have to trust the board to sack the manager. Saints getting relegated is a massive risk - the investment, finances, academy, attractiveness of the club, future fanbase, and young prospects are all in jeopardy with no guarantees. We were lucky enough to survive last time. I will always cheer us on to win unless the players really are taking the piss.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

With natural finishing ability like his, why does he need to train anyway, no sweat.

Apart from his finishing he is a really good player in terms of work rate movement and hold up of the ball... Not being able to finish is quite a big point when you are a striker though... Still he's better than AA 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I got utterly slated on here for saying we had fans that were so anti the manager that they went into games wanting us to lose. I can't imagine going into games cheering on the opposition. You must be one of the happiest saints "fans" out there lately though.

Whilst the players are trying they get support. If the results warrant it, you have to trust the board to sack the manager. Saints getting relegated is a massive risk - the investment, finances, academy, attractiveness of the club, future fanbase, and young prospects are all in jeopardy with no guarantees. We were lucky enough to survive last time. I will always cheer us on to win unless the players really are taking the piss.

I actually fear for us this season because we lack leadership from the very top.

So many of us know the problem but the board won’t do nothing about it.

A frustrating slow death until Ralph gets pushed.

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Absolutely baffling isn't it? Surely the reason most people want Ralph gone is that we aren't achieving the results that we should. So if we then start achieving those results (ie a win tonight) then there's not a problem is there? Obviously that doesn't work in the long term but wanting your own team to lose is absolutely bizarre.

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

I actually fear for us this season because we lack leadership from the very top.

So many of us know the problem but the board won’t do nothing about it.

A frustrating slow death until Ralph gets pushed.

That's nice and positive - thinking that they will do something

If Adams is out, other rumours are somewhat accurate and we line up something like this...

A. Armstrong
Walcott/Djenepo - Elyounoussi - Aribo
AMN - JWP
Perraud - Salisu - DCC - KWP
Bazunu

Would that team get out the Championship? Fucking hell.

You'd only have Salisu, KWP & JWP as actual definite Premier League quality players.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Bournemouth 0-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic