Saints 2-0 Man City - The Treble is STILL on!

Lighthouse

MotM  

131 members have voted

1. 1. MotM

• Bazunu
    • KWP
    • DCC
    • Lyanco
    • Salisu
    • Lavia
    • JWP
    • Diallo
    • Mara
    • Armstrong
    • Djenepo
    • Orsic
    • Moi
    • Adams
    • Perraud

City will want the cup to add to their collection but won't want to be full strength. We may have renewed our acquaintance with the opposition net but I still can't see past them winning even if they play the likes of Palmer, Lewis and half the EDS. 

Still, a freak result away from a two legged semi final and we have the competition's top Scorer up to now...

After Wednesday night I was intending to leave the country and find nice dark cave to bed down in for a week or so but after today’s upturn and the prospect of Oršić showing up I’m feeling slightly more comfortable and almost warming to this now.

Probably won’t last!

• Like 1

They play late tomorrow and then early ko on Saturday for the Manc derby, so they will be running the changes. That being said their second side would beat us anyways.

Cant see us scoring more than them but I'm holding out hope for a win on pens

Edited by woodsaint1

4 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

They play late tomorrow and then early ko on Saturday for the Manc derby, so they will be running the changes. That being said their second side would beat us anyways.

Cant see us scoring more than them but I'm holding out hope for a win on pens

Should prevent a drubbing at least, they can't afford to slip up in the league and Saturday lunchtime Manchester Derby is a big one, every little helps. We have our own big game Saturday as well so can't see Jones going full strength either 

39 minutes ago, Forester said:

Willy

KWP, Lyanco, DCC, Salisu, Perraud

JWP, Lavia

Djenepo, Adams, Armstrong (A)

Not a Djenepo fan but him and Armstrong will both track back and help

Not sure about that, Jones hopefully will have half an eye on preparing for the Everton game.

I reckon KWP and SArmstrong are only partially fit so being protected.

He'll want consistency at the back. It worked today (sort of) so leave it alone.

City won't damage Lavia he's an asset for them and new guy has to play.

Bazuma

Lyanco DCC Salisu Peraud

Lavia JWP

Orsic Aribo Edozie

A Armstrong Adams

With KWP, ABK, and S Armstrong available at some point. Should at least be competitive.

On present form, Pep shouldn't need to start with his best eleven, as even his bench is pretty formidable to look at.

Certainly the summer signings that City released to us will have something to prove, and we can hope we see some minutes

from our new signing, and to call us underdogs is an understatement, but Cup competitions are always a " one-off " so who knows

what the evening might throw up. City have won this trophy  a number of times but that will count for nothing on the day.

COYR !

Edited by david in sweden

9 hours ago, macca155 said:

Not sure about that, Jones hopefully will have half an eye on preparing for the Everton game.

I reckon KWP and SArmstrong are only partially fit so being protected.

He'll want consistency at the back. It worked today (sort of) so leave it alone.

City won't damage Lavia he's an asset for them and new guy has to play.

Bazuma

Lyanco DCC Salisu Peraud

Lavia JWP

Orsic Aribo Edozie

A Armstrong Adams

With KWP, ABK, and S Armstrong available at some point. Should at least be competitive.

We should be competitive with all those players...I'd lose Edozie to make it 11. I really don't get the fuss about the kid. He has skill galore, but no vision or end product and was poor yesterday. I'd also prefer Djenepo over Aribo.  

• Haha 1

There’s about as much chance of us winning this as there is of me winning the Lottery Jackpot - i.e. zilch. Would play our B team just to piss Pep off. Jones will mess about with this and that, get the system and tactics completely wrong and end up with a total drubbing. 7-0 City.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, egg said:

We should be competitive with all those players...I'd lose Edozie to make it 11. I really don't get the fuss about the kid. He has skill galore, but no vision or end product and was poor yesterday. I'd also prefer Djenepo over Aribo.  

He has trouble using his left foot. That open goal miss against Lincoln and that shot he blazed over the bar against Brighton (?) were both on his left foot.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
Auto-incorrect

Just now, SotonianWill said:

still undecided on going, I think the price is too much for what will inevitably be a crushing of my hopes and dreams.   

Loads of tickets left obviously, I expect by kick off Northam, Itchen and Kingsland will be almost full with Chapel quite empty 

Man City have sold out 3200 

1 hour ago, coalman said:

I fear for our inability to play through City's press. Though they seem to struggle with us for some reason and our players seem to up their game. Given our fragile confidence right now this could get ugly. 

They struggled vs the 4-2-2-2 central press and being forced out wife. 

We don't have a midfield. 

Has a team ever conceded 9 at this stage of the competition before? 

5 hours ago, egg said:

We should be competitive with all those players...I'd lose Edozie to make it 11. I really don't get the fuss about the kid. He has skill galore, but no vision or end product and was poor yesterday.   

Ah! but is he fit to wear the shirt and do you want to see him in a Saints shirt again?

8 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Ah! but is he fit to wear the shirt and do you want to see him in a Saints shirt again?

Eh? He's a mile away from being PL ready imo. No more than a bench option for me. 

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He has trouble using his left foot. That open goal miss against Lincoln and that shot he blazed over the bar against Brighton (?) we’re both on his left foot.

Yep. Poor on his left. It's his decision making which frustrates me more. He either doesn't see the pass or sees it but ignores it in favour of running down a blind alley or giving the ball way. 

I am so disappointed that I have decided not to attend a home game because of the hassle of a later evening kickoff and because it’s on Sky which in effect I have already paid for; let alone because it’s against City and I fear a thumping!!

3 hours ago, JRM said:

Loads of tickets left obviously, I expect by kick off Northam, Itchen and Kingsland will be almost full with Chapel quite empty 

Man City have sold out 3200 

About 10’000 left looking at the website. Shows the general feeling around the club at the minute that most people can’t be arsed with a cup game that would be considered a “gold” fixture in the league, especially at discounted price.

6 hours ago, egg said:

Opps I guess 12 would make it competitive. I think that's a bit harsh on Edozie, agree on the end product but hecscares the pants off defenders.

I'd leave Aribo out if they make us play with only 11. Has the skills but  ot the work rate.

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Unfortunately Man City resting some of their best players against Chelsea today ahead of our game 

Think we can assume Haarland will be starting against us as he hasn't come off the bench today.  Lyanco will have him in his pocket though 🙄

1 hour ago, spyinthesky said:

Havent they got a derby v Man Utd on Saturday?

However whatever side they put out we are in for a thrashing

City could probably play with 11 outfield players and still win comfortably as it is unlikely we will get near their goal

The reality is they could start a 3rd choice team and where we to somehow do a goal they'd sub on 5 50m plus players and blow us away! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 64saint said:

Think we can assume Haarland will be starting against us as he hasn't come off the bench today.  Lyanco will have him in his pocket though 🙄

Just had a look at the odds, Man City at 4/5 to win by more than one goal, seems easy money 

6 hours ago, bpsaint said:

About 10’000 left looking at the website. Shows the general feeling around the club at the minute that most people can’t be arsed with a cup game that would be considered a “gold” fixture in the league, especially at discounted price.

Yeah I'm not going, although that's for logistical reasons rather than footballing ones. I'd probably try and make it to any semi (if we get there)

Rest Haaland and DeBruyne for the Manchester derby and play ManCity U20s (2021) vs ManCity U20s (2022). That seems fair. We'll agree to rest Lyanco and Diallo in response. 

Saints 3 (Lavia 18, Edozie 62, Bazunu 90+5) Man City 2 (Wonderkid 4, NewMessi 11)

Roll on the semis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They just made Chelsea look like a non-league team with about 6 main players rested. Best expectation is we put a shift in, don't make any massive howlers and don't get thrashed, maybe a striker gets a confidence boosting goal. 

• Like 1

I imagine they’ll be lots of empty seats on Wednesday. Who’s paying £40/50 to see their team get a spanking.

Club should’ve made it cheap, get bums on seats and create an atmosphere 🤷🏻‍♂️

It would appear people that come up with pricing don’t look at things like this. But a fan spending less on a match ticket is more likely to spend a few more quid inside the ground on a coffee, a snack, whatever. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

But a fan spending less on a match ticket is more likely to spend a few more quid inside the ground on a coffee, a snack, whatever. 🤷🏻‍♂️

A fan spending less on a match ticket is likely to be there! But match ticket and train fare (and jogging back to catch the last train..) a few calming drinks beforehand, all to watch us possibly being as hapless as Chelsea. I caught the last 25 minutes of the game as I happened to be wandering past a pub showing it and I was curious.. and now like Pickles above!

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I imagine they’ll be lots of empty seats on Wednesday. Who’s paying £40/50 to see their team get a spanking.

Club should’ve made it cheap, get bums on seats and create an atmosphere 🤷🏻‍♂️

It would appear people that come up with pricing don’t look at things like this. But a fan spending less on a match ticket is more likely to spend a few more quid inside the ground on a coffee, a snack, whatever. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I thought that the pricing was £20 to season ticket holders, £22.50 general sale and £25 on match day. About the same price as going to watch a league 2 match.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Toussaint said:

That’s because they are shit scared of us 

Well maybe not sh*t scared, but " cautious " as despite always picking up the points, Pep has always said that we 

play well against them, and so I don't expect a " weakened side"  but I'll be pleased if they don't start with De Bruyne. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-0 Man City - The Treble is STILL on!
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic