FA Cup 4th Round Draw

Paulwantsapint81

Lower league side at home would be the best draw, we seem to be able to scrape through them. 

Didn't expect us to win yesterday, but as long as we don't draw any of the big boys then at least we have a chance.

I'm not in the "the cups don't matter" club. If we win they'll breed confidence throughout the squad, which can only be a positive. 

If you offered me relegation but we'd win one of the cups I'd take it every day of the week. I'm 34 and I've only seen us win a paint trophy. 

3 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

Wrexham away would be fun. 

No thanks. I remember the last time we met Wrexham in the FA Cup in 1974, we lost at home in the 5th round. After that we didn’t win another match until the final day of the season and by then it was too late to avoid relegation……!

Edited by SW5 SAINT
Edit

1. Preston North End

2. Brighton & Hove Albion

3. Chesterfield or West Bromwich Albion

4. Manchester City or Chelsea

5. Stockport County or Walsall

6. Boreham Wood or Accrington Stanley

7. Tottenham Hotspur

8. Derby County 

9. Cardiff City or Leeds United

10. West Ham United

11. Burnley

12. Wrexham

13. Norwich City or Blackburn Rovers

14. Aston Villa or Stevenage

15. Luton Town or Wigan Athletic

16. Oxford United or Arsenal

17. Fleetwood Town

18. Liverpool or Wolverhampton Wanderers

19. Grimsby Town

20. Blackpool

21. Leicester City

22. Forest Green Rovers or Birmingham City

23. Bristol City or Swansea City

24. Hartlepool United or Stoke City

25. Fulham

26. Southampton

27. Sheffield United

28. Sunderland

29. Sheffield Wednesday

30. Manchester United

31. Reading

32. Ipswich Town

6 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

£5 tickets would be nice

And kid a quid. They won't bring many down. 

This game could be squeezed in between two leg carabao cup semi final so going to need to rotate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I first started supporting Saints because of a cup game against Blackpool.    But I am a bit old now, ‘cos this game was in early 1953 - the year that Blackpool won the Cup.   Older folk will well remember the ‘53 final, the Matthews final (even though Stan Mortensen scored a hat-trick, it is STILL known as the Matthews final).  Saints near the bottom of Division 2 we’re drawn away at Blackpool, riding high in Division 1.  We came away with a draw and took the game to a replay at the Dell.   The game was played on the following Wednesday at 3 pm.  It was reckoned that about 10,000 grannies must have died in the week before, as the number of people needing time off work to go to the funeral that Wednesday afternoon.  Anyway, Saints lost 2 - 1 but played a heroic game.   I, as an 8 year old, read every report going (the local newsagent didn’t mind if I went in and read the back pages).   As a result I became a supporter, and from the start of the following season 53-54, with Saints now established in Division 3 South.  I went to every home game at 3pm on a Saturday — first team one week, the Reserves the following week.   I became ST holder at the start of 64-65 season, and poor health made me give it up at the start of 21-22 season.  But as Blackpool were in the run up to ‘76, perhaps that is a portent to something special in May of this year.   Well, hopefully.  

• Like 31

35 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

£10-£15 tickets please Saints. Don't overcharge for this one. 

Trouble is both teams have to agree on the ticket price - when we played Shrewsbury a few years ago they initially refused us doing cheap tickets to get bums on seats, insisting on £25 minimum and relented at £20 I think, and the gate reflected their greed.

2 hours ago, Sinned said:

I first started supporting Saints because of a cup game against Blackpool.    But I am a bit old now, ‘cos this game was in early 1953 - the year that Blackpool won the Cup.   Older folk will well remember the ‘53 final, the Matthews final (even though Stan Mortensen scored a hat-trick, it is STILL known as the Matthews final).  Saints near the bottom of Division 2 we’re drawn away at Blackpool, riding high in Division 1.  We came away with a draw and took the game to a replay at the Dell.   The game was played on the following Wednesday at 3 pm.  It was reckoned that about 10,000 grannies must have died in the week before, as the number of people needing time off work to go to the funeral that Wednesday afternoon.  Anyway, Saints lost 2 - 1 but played a heroic game.   I, as an 8 year old, read every report going (the local newsagent didn’t mind if I went in and read the back pages).   As a result I became a supporter, and from the start of the following season 53-54, with Saints now established in Division 3 South.  I went to every home game at 3pm on a Saturday — first team one week, the Reserves the following week.   I became ST holder at the start of 64-65 season, and poor health made me give it up at the start of 21-22 season.  But as Blackpool were in the run up to ‘76, perhaps that is a portent to something special in May of this year.   Well, hopefully.  

I didnt go to that game but remember going to Blackpool at home a couple of seasons later when Tommy Traynor was our left back playing against Stanley Matthews.
A full house at The Dell. 
We played creditably but lost.
The only thing I can remember about the event was watching a couple of Blackpool fans, wearing the obligatory belted macs of the time and tangerine & white scarves parading a Duck, resplendent in Blackpool colours, on the pitch prior to kick off, much to the amusement of the fans.
Presumably the Duck was a Blackpool mascot.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JRM said:

And kid a quid. They won't bring many down. 

This game could be squeezed in between two leg carabao cup semi final so going to need to rotate. 

that's the spirit JRM. Positive thinking.

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

My memory of Blackpool at home in the cup is us being in League 1, them in the Premier League and beating them comfortably 2-0 with a very nice Guly goal. Post-match Holloway lost his head. 

That was my oldest son's first game. Consequently he thought Guly was one of the best players in the world for a while.

7 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

We played Blackpool twice in the cup in the seventies.  4th round in 76, but also 3rd round in 74.  Remember seeing Paul Bennett thump one in from well outside the box.

Saw both of those games, 74 was an absolute mud bath (or maybe January's pitches were always like that back then).

18 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

We played Blackpool twice in the cup in the seventies.  4th round in 76, but also 3rd round in 74.  Remember seeing Paul Bennett thump one in from well outside the box.

Yes,  a bit like Benali's goal, seeing that one was a bit of a collector's item wasn't it ? His only goal for us that I can remember.

9 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

Saw both of those games, 74 was an absolute mud bath (or maybe January's pitches were always like that back then).

State of the pitches were pretty bad then in winter, incredible when you see the old footage on youtube now. I think The Dell and Derby's Baseball Ground were pretty notorious. 

8 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yes,  a bit like Benali's goal, seeing that one was a bit of a collector's item wasn't it ? His only goal for us that I can remember.

State of the pitches were pretty bad then in winter, incredible when you see the old footage on youtube now. I think The Dell and Derby's Baseball Ground were pretty notorious. 

And Loftus Road.

31 minutes ago, Badger said:

47 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

WE played them up there one year and drew 1-1 I think Henry Horton scored our goal, in the 50s I think. We went by train and there were fantastic storms that swept the country and destroyed two Devon villages, the match was a mud bath

21 minutes ago, Jonnyboy said:

"Premier League you having a laugh" 

Certainly pulled Wurzel Holloways tail that day 🤣🤣

“I don’t think they should be quite so disrespectful, maybe they’re a little bit jealous of the fact a little club like Blackpool can do it and Southampton have fallen from grace.”

• Haha 1