Southampton 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread

coalman

The match tomorrow seems a side show to the whole Nathan Jones saga. All fans are wondering what the crowd reaction is going to be, will people back the team or protest against Jones?

Wolves couldn’t ask for an easier fixture and quite similar to when we faced Everton. 

Very strange feelings for this game. I’ve sort of accepted relegation already, but a win keeps us in the mix, but also keeps Jones in a job. For the short and long term future, he has to to go now. 

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Nope I am a saints fan not a Jones fan always want us to win

Devil's Advocate: OK we win tomorrow 2-0. Ankersen smugly tells Alfie House/Jacob Tanswell "we've turned a corner, Jones will have the rest of the season come what may, the win vs Wolves has convinced me he has what it takes which I always thought he did".

We lose our next 7 games (which we might have won a couple had we a new manager).

You see where I am coming from here? It's not that unlikely a scenario.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Janny B, Lyanco and Jimmy Bree will be nailed on for the agressive must win. 

Think you are right. Funny, since Janny B returned we have started to let in one goal followed quickly by another - can't be coincidence.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Devil's Advocate: OK we win tomorrow 2-0. Ankersen smugly tells Alfie House/Jacob Tanswell "we've turned a corner, Jones will have the rest of the season come what may, the win vs Wolves has convinced me he has what it takes which I always thought he did".

We lose our next 7 games (which we might have won a couple had we a new manager).

I can see what you're getting at but have you ever seen saints concede and be anything other than pissed off?  Have you ever celebrated a defeat?  Seriously, have you ever walked into the stadium and wanted Saints to lose?  When we've scored have you been disappointed ever?

If you're a saints fan you can't do anything other than want them to win.  Sure, on an intellectual level you can see a silver lining but on an emotional level?  No, I can't think of anyone except the most plastic of fans who would take a defeat when they're at the game or even watching on TV.

I guess about the only time I might be tempted is if we were losing and the prospect of a really heavy defeat could tip the scales but even then I would find it hard.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I can see what you're getting at but have you ever seen saints concede and be anything other than pissed off?  Have you ever celebrated a defeat?  Seriously, have you ever walked into the stadium and wanted Saints to lose?  When we've scored have you been disappointed ever?

If you're a saints fan you can't do anything other than want them to win.  Sure, on an intellectual level you can see a silver lining but on an emotional level?  No, I can't think of anyone except the most plastic of fans who would take a defeat when they're at the game or even watching on TV.

I guess about the only time I might be tempted is if we were losing and the prospect of a really heavy defeat could tip the scales but even then I would find it hard.

I agree with this. 👍 I also think we're in championship next season, so I'm fairly chilled about all the bollocks with NJ - he didn't work the miracle we wanted.

17 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I get your answer. I guess a plastic fan wouldn't really care that much to want Jones gone. When Saints drew at home to Port Vale in the FA Cup and they sacked Branfoot I was pleased we hadn't won. So I celebrated by going to the replay. Got very wet.

3 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I get your answer. I guess a plastic fan wouldn't really care that much to want Jones gone. When Saints drew at home to Port Vale in the FA Cup and they sacked Branfoot I was pleased we hadn't won. So I celebrated by going to the replay. Got very wet.

Ha, I was there when Branfoot was manager.  I stayed after games and protested the same as many others.  I'm not calling you plastic for wanting Jones gone, in fact I don't really care what you feel either way.  You asked a question and I answered it.  Do I want Jones gone?  Absolutely.  Could I bring myself to actually want to see us lose?  No.

• Like 3

Tomorrows game is intriguing. A win is essential, tensions will be high and Jones has really set himself up for one "final" chance with all his comments.

Now is his time to step up and do it his way with no compromises, no excuses, if indeed he was holding back for some reason before.

If he fails, he's finished and utterly humiliated.

If we win, then maybe he can indeed start to turn it around?

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

We cannot afford to lose, it's as simple as that. Jones is a distraction albeit an irksome, tedious and imbecilic one

• Like 4

I get your point but isn't as black and white as that. 

If we knew a defeat would definately mean a change to a good manager, in immediately and increase our chances to stay up, I can see the benefit of a defeat. However unfortunately we don't know that. 

Also a defeat to Wolves will cut us adrift for whoever is in charge. 

I'd opt for a win! 

• Like 2

That will not make a jot of difference to us being relegated will it. Because we are down anyway the club messed up appointing him .

I want us to win every game we play.

firstly, the only scenario i can see right now, is us losing on Saturday. If that happens, confidence is reduced further and the likelihood of winning the next games becomes even less. We don't even know if Jones will be fired and we don't know if a change will bring any change of results. The last change didn't.

The flip side to that, is if we win, first and foremost we have 3 crucial points in the bag, a little confidence boost and maybe just the thought that we might survive. 

In its simplest terms, lose and we are effectively down in my eyes, win and there is still hope.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, coalman said:

I've finally worked out what he means by front footed

absolutely perfect.If you needed a scene that best described our first team, this would be it. Rudderless, unloveable, talentless out of sync useless bastards...

26 minutes ago, Chez said:

firstly, the only scenario i can see right now, is us losing on Saturday. If that happens, confidence is reduced further and the likelihood of winning the next games becomes even less. We don't even know if Jones will be fired and we don't know if a change will bring any change of results. The last change didn't.

The flip side to that, is if we win, first and foremost we have 3 crucial points in the bag, a little confidence boost and maybe just the thought that we might survive. 

In its simplest terms, lose and we are effectively down in my eyes, win and there is still hope.

We will probably draw. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Leeds a bigger attraction than us can’t get a manager even Feyenoord Arne Slot (great name) now turned them down.

We are stuffed until the summer

Slot was never going to leave Feyenoord during this season. He has them top of the league with a way smaller budget than Ajax and PSV. 

I wouldn’t gamble now and would go for an experienced manager who knows the Premier League and a relegation fight. Not the right time for a untested manager.

My customers up in Wolverhampton are really looking forward to this game after their game last weekend. They are all throwing themselves round the room over the thought of  Lemina returning to haunt us - “he was a bit more than good last weekend”. 

Just reading through the threads above, weirdly I have no emotion about this game. I’ll drag myself down to Southampton, take my seat in the ground, swear at the ref, put my head in my hands at another half arsed pass, then amble back to the car with a “whatever” attitude. 
Shame really

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

For me it would be, when the third Wolves goal goes in, a case of 'oh well, at least there's no excuse now, and things can only get better'. So mixed emotions. I think I will be most depressed if we draw 1-1. That would mean we're stuck with him, with no real positive effect.

Looked to see if there are tickets left earlier. Answer is there are loads. Guess a fair few just can't be arsed now, given the drivel we're served up both on and off the field. At least the press conferences are entertaining, in a David Brent kind of way.

39 minutes ago, DT said:

Looked to see if there are tickets left earlier. Answer is there are loads. Guess a fair few just can't be arsed now, given the drivel we're served up both on and off the field. At least the press conferences are entertaining, in a David Brent kind of way.

Did you get yourself one?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Draw at best

I'm sure it'll be a draw.

Its the worst possible result in a way, because this nonsense just lingers on. Next league game is away at Chelsea, which we aren't expected to get anything from, so it rolls over to the Leeds game. 

Either we beat Wolves and they back the manager, or we lose and he's fired. A draw is just purgatory and time we don't have.

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

Just reading through the threads above, weirdly I have no emotion about this game. I’ll drag myself down to Southampton, take my seat in the ground, swear at the ref, put my head in my hands at another half arsed pass, then amble back to the car with a “whatever” attitude. 
Shame really

That perfectly describes the matchday experience at SMS for most of the past few years tbh. It's just become utterly boring, predictable and depressing. I never expect us to win any game anymore.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

I'm sure it'll be a draw.

Its the worst possible result in a way, because this nonsense just lingers on. Next league game is away at Chelsea, which we aren't expected to get anything from, so it rolls over to the Leeds game. 

Either we beat Wolves and they back the manager, or we lose and he's fired. A draw is just purgatory and time we don't have.

A lot of people are saying we lose and he's fired. I wish that'll be the case, but I've already lost my few bob on him going a couple of weeks ago and I'm not convinced he'll go if we lose tomorrow. Just want to see the players show they really care.

5 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I don't really see this miracle manager out there rushing to take this job, who's going to deliver radically different results to the last 2. So I'll the take bird the hand(3 points now), over the ones in the bush.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Fitzhugh doesn’t like all this hipster football he hankers for the days when we were in the lower divisions so he can be Official Club Historian. 

I noticed on his Twitter description he is “ club historian “ 😂

6 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Football is always about taking one game at a time. I want Jones out at present but I’d rather he did turn a corner and kept us up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DT said:

I am overseas at the moment but before I left, I offered my ST around to various people and not one of them took me up on it !

I wasn’t looking for money just a friendly gesture 😟

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

A lot of people are saying we lose and he's fired. I wish that'll be the case, but I've already lost my few bob on him going a couple of weeks ago and I'm not convinced he'll go if we lose tomorrow. Just want to see the players show they really care.

Agreed, a "plucky" 1-0 defeat probably won't change Ankersen-The-Fraud's mind. So while I don't want us to lose and would be delighted if we get 3 points, if we are going to lose, and given the choice between a 1-0 and a 5-0 defeat, I'd take the latter to surely guarantee the end of the muppet.

Yeah I've got absolutely no idea how to feel about tomorrow. Echoing the post above that if we suddenly find ourselves 2-0 down I'd be hoping for 4/5 just for the guarantee.

I think there is quite literally a 0% chance we stay up under Jones, both due to his managerial incompetence and the lack of support from the fans. Whilst I think there is a very small chance regardless, there is at least some hope that a new guy could come in, get a quick result and get the fans on side. I actually (maybe stupidly) don't doubt that we have the quality in the squad to keep us up, we're just not getting it out at the moment.

I also agree that the worst result, and what I'm expecting, is a 0-0/1-1 draw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eurosaint said:

I am overseas at the moment but before I left, I offered my ST around to various people and not one of them took me up on it !

I wasn’t looking for money just a friendly gesture 😟

Offering to let somebody watch us play.... you call that 'friendly'!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gonna have trouble sleeping tonight as I'm probably more excited by the forum's reaction from the team announcement onwards. 

Will it be vitriolic, happy, convinced or with all due respect suicidal.

Will the fittest man in human history pick the best team and have them more aggressive than an African bull elephant with a headache.

Have the Welsh mining community turned against him and their women after the latest slight 

Tomorrow is going to be the soap opera to end soap opera's and hopefully a good game as well.

teledu welsh GIF by Carw Piws

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, manji said:

Fitzhugh doesn’t like all this hipster football he hankers for the days when we were in the lower divisions so he can be Official Club Historian. 

I noticed on his Twitter description he is “ club historian “ 😂

What even is a club historian? FFS you want to know anything about the clubs past  you just google it no?

9 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Janny B, Lyanco and Jimmy Bree will be nailed on for the agressive must win. 

At least lyanco is aggressive - recklessly so and a bit shit, but you can see where NJ is going. However, it beggers belief that NJ has identified ball watching Janny B as a fundamental part of his aggressive dream team - it's almost like he hasn't ever seen him play or train.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

That perfectly describes the matchday experience at SMS for most of the past few years tbh. It's just become utterly boring, predictable and depressing. I never expect us to win any game anymore.

Unfortunately this is about right. 😔

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic