New Manager

Bakovnetski

4 hours ago, SaintTex said:

I swear, if Marsch pulls Leicester over the line, I am going to lose my shit. 

we had him, and haggled over stupid things. 

You can keep your shit as it looks like its collapsed. Maybe the fault is with Ted Lasso as opposed to the club haggling over 'stupid things' 

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Rasmus has to go whatever happens this summer.

Haven’t most off the field decisions been his and largely his alone? Or his final say?

He’s fucked it for us.

I remember in December when he proudly boasted he was personally taking responsibility for our January transfer business. What an absolute mess that was. 😂

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I remember in December when he proudly boasted he was personally taking responsibility for our January transfer business. What an absolute mess that was. 😂

"Every decision we are taking us focused on staying in this division" was the mantra.

That seem to involve spending more than fifty million quid in January on a players that at best occasionally start games and at worst don't even make the squad, but mainly just sit on the bench down the pecking order to players that were signed by Mark Hughes.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Rasmus has to go whatever happens this summer.

Haven’t most off the field decisions been his and largely his alone? Or his final say?

He’s fucked it for us.

He's one of 3 owners - he's going nowhere - more hands off maybe but he's here until Dragan buys him out

16 hours ago, SaintTex said:

I swear, if Marsch pulls Leicester over the line, I am going to lose my shit. 

we had him, and haggled over stupid things. 

He's obviously responsible. But he also basically owns the club so is unlikely to sack himself 🤔

Edited by Saint86

New manager scouting report from the Netherlands by me. 

The eredivisie this season is made up by 18 clubs. Having checked the current table all clubs, on the exception of Sparta Rotterdam, are about where they should be based on current squad and budget. 

So we will look at the current top 6 and who their current manager is. 

6 Sparta Rotterdam. Punching well above their weight and being managed by Maurice Steijn. Steijn has always managed in Holland on the exception of a short stay in the Middle East. Bar his time at NAC he has done well at all clubs. Not a big name and has never managed a big club. Not someone we should want to hire imo.

5 Fc Twente. Doing reasonably well this season and have Ron Jans in charge. Jans has always done well in Holland but didn’t have a great time in The US and Belgium. Will leave Twente at the end of the season. Looking at his age and how he did abroad I would say a no from me as our next manager. 

4 AZ Alkmaar. Pascal Janssen manages AZ and has just renewed his contract. Does well at AZ and mixes good games with very poor games. AZ is his first club as head coach. Prior to AZ he worked as an assistant or head of youth and several clubs. Imo to little experience to take charge of us. 

3 PSV Eindhoven. Ruud van Nistelrooij manages PSV, his first major managerial job. Not spectacular but still learning his trade. Too early to manage us and will probably want to gain more experience at PSV. 

2 Ajax. Having poor season by Ajax standards and sacked Alfred Schreuder mid season. Johnny Heitinga now manages Ajax temporarily until the end of the season. Performing better the schreuder but not having Ajax firing on all cilinders. 

1 Feyenoord. Managed by the best manager of the Eredivisie Arne Slot. Feyenoord play fast attacking football and often win the game in the second half of the match. On course to win the league this season and got to the final of the conference league last year. If we could, get him asap. Though it’s highly unlikely he will leave Feyenoord, who will play Champions league next season, and move down to the Championship. Tottenham are interested apparently and will like get offers from all over Europe. 

My verdict. No new interesting managers, or who would come to us in the eredivisie currently as it stands now. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

New manager scouting report from the Netherlands by me. 

The eredivisie this season is made up by 18 clubs. Having checked the current table all clubs, on the exception of Sparta Rotterdam, are about where they should be based on current squad and budget. 

So we will look at the current top 6 and who their current manager is. 

6 Sparta Rotterdam. Punching well above their weight and being managed by Maurice Steijn. Steijn has always managed in Holland on the exception of a short stay in the Middle East. Bar his time at NAC he has done well at all clubs. Not a big name and has never managed a big club. Not someone we should want to hire imo.

5 Fc Twente. Doing reasonably well this season and have Ron Jans in charge. Jans has always done well in Holland but didn’t have a great time in The US and Belgium. Will leave Twente at the end of the season. Looking at his age and how he did abroad I would say a no from me as our next manager. 

4 AZ Alkmaar. Pascal Janssen manages AZ and has just renewed his contract. Does well at AZ and mixes good games with very poor games. AZ is his first club as head coach. Prior to AZ he worked as an assistant or head of youth and several clubs. Imo to little experience to take charge of us. 

3 PSV Eindhoven. Ruud van Nistelrooij manages PSV, his first major managerial job. Not spectacular but still learning his trade. Too early to manage us and will probably want to gain more experience at PSV. 

2 Ajax. Having poor season by Ajax standards and sacked Alfred Schreuder mid season. Johnny Heitinga now manages Ajax temporarily until the end of the season. Performing better the schreuder but not having Ajax firing on all cilinders. 

1 Feyenoord. Managed by the best manager of the Eredivisie Arne Slot. Feyenoord play fast attacking football and often win the game in the second half of the match. On course to win the league this season and got to the final of the conference league last year. If we could, get him asap. Though it’s highly unlikely he will leave Feyenoord, who will play Champions league next season, and move down to the Championship. Tottenham are interested apparently and will like get offers from all over Europe. 

My verdict. No new interesting managers, or who would come to us in the eredivisie currently as it stands now. 

Slot is an interesting one and i think his style would be good for the championship at least.  At AZ they played really good football and he was only sacked cos he agreed to move to Feyenoord who he has done wonders with to basically win the league this season, as you rightly say they are probably the fittest team in the league and play some nice football.

Well we have two options. Go for a known manager (for the Championship) like Rodgers, Moyes (if sacked), Big Sam, Benitez, Pardew, Pearson etc  and hope that they can shake off their last club(s) failures to get us firing again. 

Or we can aim to get an upcoming manager and let them build their reputation with us. The issue with this method we have been scarred with the Welsh Dong we appointed this season. This could be someone like Rowett or Lowe doing well at Millwall and Preston at the moment.

8 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Well we have two options. Go for a known manager (for the Championship) like Rodgers, Moyes (if sacked), Big Sam, Benitez, Pardew, Pearson etc  and hope that they can shake off their last club(s) failures to get us firing again. 

Or we can aim to get an upcoming manager and let them build their reputation with us. The issue with this method we have been scarred with the Welsh Dong we appointed this season. This could be someone like Rowett or Lowe doing well at Millwall and Preston at the moment.

Micheal carrick if boro fail to come up 

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Rasmus has pretty much single-handedly made the signings and pissed the money up the wall; and has made two horrendous managerial decisions.

He should be fired for sheer incompetence.

This and if the papers are to be believed dragon has a 121 million pound loan that needs to be paid back by 2024, he's not going to be happy that the decision to appoint Jones backfired so spectacularly he will struggle to pay back the loan as he was banking on remaining In the premiership are revenue will be cut in half in the championship! Surely ankerson is more responsible for that than anyone 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mr X said:

This and if the papers are to be believed dragon has a 121 million pound loan that needs to be paid back by 2024, he's not going to be happy that the decision to appoint Jones backfired so spectacularly he will struggle to pay back the loan as he was banking on remaining In the premiership are revenue will be cut in half in the championship! Surely ankerson is more responsible for that than anyone 

He has to pay the money back to himself (well another company he owns anyway). It really isn't a big deal given his net worth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Of the up and comings you mention, Rowett has been round a few clubs now and doesn’t seem anything special. Think he’s meant to be defensive in his set ups. Also did nothing of note at Stoke. ( Ring any alarm bells?). 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Vieira for me. Think he would be have the reputation for some of our young players to consider staying in the Championship rather than jump shit ASAP.

Definitely, this is the appointment for me that makes the most sense. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I thought long and hard over this.  The best I can come up with is that Southampton have never hung a monkey after accusing it of being a French spy.

Neither has anyone in Middlesbrough. It is Hartlepool you are thinking of

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Isn't that Hartlepool?

1 minute ago, Kenilworthy said:

Same thing isn't it?

But if that's the case, then I'm all out.  Not one reason why he would choose Southampton over Middlesbrough....

Edited by Weston Super Saint

10 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Vieira for me. Think he would be have the reputation for some of our young players to consider staying in the Championship rather than jump shit ASAP.

we’ve got to go for the big name type. it at least gives you a chance of bringing in good players. going for a smith (like leicester) or rowett 🤢 type would be accepting lower league standard in my view. 

• Like 2

The issue with the sensible and logical suggestions provided by multiple posters, is the decision maker doesn't seem to believe in sensible and logical.

He is smarter than all of us and knows far more about football than we can ever dream of.

Don't forget in his mind the gap between the PL and Championship is not that big. I would brace ourselves for either A - Selles staying on or B - Someone not even mentioned.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Of all the realistic (known) choices, I think Vieria would also be my number one option if we cannot persuade Cooper - should he become available. 

Obviously has City connections, so I wonder if that’ll be a factor to play..? 

Would like to see his old team mate Henry involved as well, who’s apparently highly regarded as a coach - wouldn’t even mind us taking a punt on him as manager, to be honest. 

My only concern with Vieira is he plays a possession based 433 and towards the end struggled to get goals (all be it with Zaha out). I don’t know if we have the players to suit his philosophy. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Nimbus said:

The issue with the sensible and logical suggestions provided by multiple posters, is the decision maker doesn't seem to believe in sensible and logical.

He is smarter than all of us and knows far more about football than we can ever dream of.

Don't forget in his mind the gap between the PL and Championship is not that big. I would brace ourselves for either A - Selles staying on or B - Someone not even mentioned.

What will happen imo. 

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Of all the realistic (known) choices, I think Vieria would also be my number one option if we cannot persuade Cooper - should he become available. 

Would like to see his old team mate Henry involved as well, who’s apparently highly regarded as a coach - wouldn’t even mind us taking a punt on him as manager, to be honest. 

My only concern with Vieira is he plays a possession based 433 and towards the end struggled to get goals (all be it with Zaha out). I don’t know if we have the players to suit his philosophy. 

Agree about the possession style, although with Lavia and JWP likely to go, you could address that in CM. Additionally 4-3-3 is probably the formation to get the best out of the wide players we have.

3 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

To be honest that decision was probably no more stupid than the majority of the ones made by the board of Saints this season.

No doubt the monkey offered far more entertainment as well.

I think Leicester's choice isn't as stupid as some might think as that managerial team - Smith, Shakespeare, Terry - looks capable enough to get them back up if they get relegated. Can't say the same for Selles.

• Like 3

Wasn’t Vieria on a Ralph style losing streak before Woy came in. 

Is he really the man to get our strikers knocking them in? He had 11 league games under him this year & they scored 4 goals. Woy matched that in the second half on Sunday. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saints have paid out big on everything aside from a manager (or at least excluding the compensation for the awful decisions of hiring in the first place).

Next season I think SR HAVE to pay out on getting an established and respected manager in for what will be a very tough season.

Not changing the manager for the Championship would be idiotic, and another tick in the “stupid decision” column for SR.

Also, it is possible to get a good manager in despite us inevitably being Championship level, anyone will manage anyone if you pay them enough money. Sport Republic have to do that now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Wasn’t Vieria on a Ralph style losing streak before Woy came in. 

Is he really the man to get our strikers knocking them in? He had 11 league games under him this year & they scored 4 goals. Woy matched that in the second half on Sunday. 

To be fair, they’ve got a favourable run of games now, so we’re always going to pick up wins. But you’re right, they haven’t been great for the second half of this season. 

That being said, I don’t think that means he couldn’t do a decent job here. 

20 hours ago, SW5 SAINT said:

Why would he leave Middlesbrough for Southampton….?

Before the news of dragans debt of over 100m ..i was Guna say more money to spend and better chance of going straight back up but as more concerning news of debt emerges from the club… carrick probably wouldn’t touch us with a barge pole.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dman said:

Of all the realistic (known) choices, I think Vieria ....

With Willcox coming in, this might be the critical link, assuming their time there overlapped.

That said, Viera's track record as a manager isn't great, and like Lampard and Gerrard is probably still talked up because of his playing career.

5 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Not changing the manager for the Championship would be idiotic, and another tick in the “stupid decision” column for SR.

Disagree. The real problem is the continued absence of a proven goal scorer. Ralph would still be here if management hadn't bungled the issue back in the summer.

• Like 5