JWP Free Kicks

spyinthesky

At the game I was was surprised and quite disappointed that JWP didnt have a go at goal, especially in the last minute .

However having thinking about it, the two free kick ploys were quite clever and could have led to a goal if the receiving players had been more alert.

I think the challenge for JWP now is that opposing teams are looking to put a player back towards the goal to defend the area JWP would be aiming at.

This might put more pressure on JWP but will offer up more opportunities for clever free kick options.

I suspect though that at the next opportunity JWP will revert to his tried and tested option.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

At the game I was was surprised and quite disappointed that JWP didnt have a go at goal, especially in the last minute .

However having thinking about it, the two free kick ploys were quite clever and could have led to a goal if the receiving players had been more alert.

I think the challenge for JWP now is that opposing teams are looking to put a player back towards the goal to defend the area JWP would be aiming at.

This might put more pressure on JWP but will offer up more opportunities for clever free kick options.

I suspect though that at the next opportunity JWP will revert to his tried and tested option.

He intentionally didn't score in order to get JJ sacked.

I know this because of the messages that came through my microwave oven. Or it might have been the air fryer. It was probably the air fryer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

I'm not surprised he tried that as both free kicks IMO and obviously JWP's opinion were 5-10yds too close. There wasn't enough room between the wall and the goal to get enough dip to score. The ball was almost certain if it cleared the wall to go over the bar.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, derry said:

I'm not surprised he tried that as both free kicks IMO and obviously JWP's opinion were 5-10yds too close. There wasn't enough room between the wall and the goal to get enough dip to score. The ball was almost certain if it cleared the wall to go over the bar.

Yep I was there in a corporate box. Both were too close. Good alternative free kicks I thought

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

This close?

image.png.da6a09dbdbb709cd0345675fd6c4179e.png

Or this close?

image.png.d45e883aa2012a8f8fcf06606df2f4f6.png

Closer than any of these?

image.png.01319a78db454e3ed9537e5f92d1744d.png

I dont  think whoever designed that graphic understands what the D is for.

But in answer probably between 5 and 9 so yeah should have gone for goal, really weird he didnt. But now goalies will think twice about what he will do

• Haha 4

52 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

There is no way that was too close for JWP. Seriously odd that he didn't go for it.

For the second one, if he'd buried it we would've got a fairly worthless point, at the expense of probably keeping the clueless numpty in charge for a while longer.

I'm not 100% sure that was what was going on inside of his head as he stepped up to take it, but ...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

For the second one, if he'd buried it we would've got a fairly worthless point, at the expense of probably keeping the clueless numpty in charge for a while longer.

I'm not 100% sure that was what was going on inside of his head as he stepped up to take it, but ...

Only natural to at least think exactly this in my opinion. I think its quite likely that he was either following instructions from training / Jones, or he had had enough of him by that point. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

The fact is teams won't know whether he'll shoot or pass. If we do go for the pass it option then we need to practise it far more in training.

For the pass routine to have any chance it needs to be followed by a first time shot. By the time a touch has been taken the defence are all over it.

• Like 3

With hindsight, I wonder why JWP did not attempt to score both of the free kicks at the match against Wolves, given that he is just two free kick goals away from Beckham's record. Was it for a technical reason? or according to NJ's instructions? or he determined not to score any goal in order to get rid of NJ? The match with Wolves was a six-pointer which may determine who will be relegated at the end of the day. But if JWP had scored either or both of the free kicks, NJ would have still been around here as our manager and we would not have won the game against Chelsea probably.  So with hindsight, as JWP routinely scored the free kick against Chelsea, I tend to think that JWP had a plot in his mind. 

• Like 3

Don't want to think that of JWP, I honestly think that it was not his decision not to take the kicks.

Either he had an injury/knock he didn't want to risk making worse

Or

And this is my preferred thinking due to the different level of performance between the two Half's v wolves, the players were playing NJs game in the second half and do what he instructed them to do whereas in the first half they were doing what they wanted. This it was NJs instruction to not take a shot

14 minutes ago, altoniansaints said:

Don't want to think that of JWP, I honestly think that it was not his decision not to take the kicks.

Either he had an injury/knock he didn't want to risk making worse

Or

And this is my preferred thinking due to the different level of performance between the two Half's v wolves, the players were playing NJs game in the second half and do what he instructed them to do whereas in the first half they were doing what they wanted. This it was NJs instruction to not take a shot

So, we have wrongly blamed Janny B for his own goal in the match against Wolves. He was another person in the match against Chelsea!

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

James set to move along side Dodd in record club appearances this weekend.

Icing, please.

He'll never get to personally hand me the Tyro League u15 division two champions trophy circa '93 at a swanky ceremony at the Guildhall. 

There are some achievements that Prowse will never top.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

He'll never get to personally hand me the Tyro League u15 division two champions trophy circa '93 at a swanky ceremony at the Guildhall. 

There are some achievements that Prowse will never top.

I was at Terry Paine's 800th game for Saints, thought that was the record

• Like 1

On 13/02/2023 at 10:25, Pamplemousse said:

The fact is teams won't know whether he'll shoot or pass. If we do go for the pass it option then we need to practise it far more in training.

In his case a free kick on the edge of the box is as good as a goal anyway which is what the opposition fear most so no need to bugger about trying to confuse them and ending up only confusing ourselves.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, altoniansaints said:

Terry Paine holds the record with 816 appearances, Dodd holds the record for most premier league appearances with 329 (one more than JWP)

Jason Dodd also had 69 appearances in the First Division (pre Premier League). MLT has the most top flight appearances, 443. Mick Channon has more Southampton top flight apps than JWP (346) and Terry Paine has 320. 

• Like 3

When we were awarded that free kick, I celebrated it like a goal.

There was zero doubt in my mind he was not going to score. That area of the pitch, that distance from goal is absolutely perfect for Ward-Prowse. 

It's actually good for the PL that the lesser teams have a player who is identifiable with that team. Zaha at Palace for example.

It used to happen in Europe (Totti at Roma, Di Natale at Udinese, could argue Kane at Spurs) We had it with Ings and I always think it chips away at the sporting integrity when these players leave, especially for clubs outside of the top 6.

I hope whatever happens this season he breaks the record whilst being a Southampton player.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Nimbus said:

There was zero doubt in my mind he was not going to score. That area of the pitch, that distance from goal is absolutely perfect for Ward-Prowse. 

It's actually good for the PL that the lesser teams have a player who is identifiable with that team. Zaha at Palace for example.

It used to happen in Europe (Totti at Roma, Di Natale at Udinese, could argue Kane at Spurs) We had it with Ings and I always think it chips away at the sporting integrity when these players leave, especially for clubs outside of the top 6.

I hope whatever happens this season he breaks the record whilst being a Southampton player.

Mark noble and West ham being another example. I agree with you, long serving players having one main club is good for football. 

2 hours ago, Mr Nimbus said:

I agree on the lesser teams having an iconic figure. I often think how lucky Palace are to have a player the level of Zaha having played for them so long and delivering at such a high level. Whilst extremely different players, JWP is becoming our Zaha in that sense. Would love him to retire with all sorts of Saints records, one of the biggest disappointments of going down would be the likelihood of him departing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Michael Owen recons he’s the best free kick taker ever. Shay Given completely disagrees.

How on earth has Given got a job as a pundit? Every time I see him he just talks utter tripe. Clearly doesn't put any research or time into his job. I genuinely believe you could pluck the average fan out of the stands and they would talk more sense than him.

It's between JWP and Juninho for the best ever. For me, as much as I love JWP, it is Juninho as the best ever. Scored so many, good conversion and rate and scored a more diverse range of freekicks. 

That said, there is no player in the history of football I would rather take a freekick just left of centre from 25 yards out. For that specific type of freekick, which is quite a common one, he is the best ever. And to be the second best ever taker is just a phenominal achievement. 

Edited by sydney_saint
  • Like 1

Yeh there have probably been better free kick takers in history, Juninho Pernambucano being probably the clear one. There probably isn't better than JWP in the modern era or certainly in the last 20 years.  If he'd played for a top team over this period that obviously creates more chances, has more possession etc. he'd easily have over 30 free kick goals by now.  The only reason Messi has scored more is the teams he's played for, statistically he's a worst taker despite being an excellent player overall and still very good at freekicks. 

I think some English recency bias by Owen there but no idea what Given is talking about, Nobby Salano and Zola? they come nowhere near. 

• Like 1

Southampton

Against Chelsea, Romeo Lavia received his fifth yellow card for what can only be described as a naive entry into the dark arts. Being subbed, Lavia lumbered before stopping altogether to take off his shinpads. Too obvious, Romeo — what he needs is to look at midfield partner James Ward-Prowse, who, at 28, still carries choirboy looks that belie his nuisance behaviour.

He is a proponent of “sharing a yellow” and endlessly has poor Wilfried Zaha in his sights. The smiling assassin concedes the most fouls of any regular starter in the team and yet, incredibly, has only had four yellow cards. Take note, Romeo.

from the athletic on ‘dark arts’ - reminds us that he’s not just about free kicks, and certainly isn’t the son in law some on here think….

• Like 1