Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I've been told 10-15 leaving which would be kind if remarkable but I'd not really have a problem with almost anyone going. 

I can get to 10 leaving very easily.

KWP, JWP, Lavia, ABK, Salisu will be the most in demand. AMN, Elmo, Big Willy and Theo are out of contract. Already hearing tales about Orsic being out the door, plus Perraud and Diallo having deals lined up. There’s 12, plus there’s others like DCC, Adams, Alcaraz and Bednarek who could quite feasibly be moved on. This squad is getting absolutely gutted.

14 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Hangers on like Nlundulu, Small and Vokins need to be offloaded.

I'd like to keep Adams and Armstrong, but offload Onuachu.

I'd not be fussed if all of them left, really. Saddened by James leaving, but as with Lavia and a few others, it was bleeding obvious they would if we dropped.

Small is 18. To compare him to a 23 and 24 year old is harsh, let alone to call him a hanger on. If he leaves in search of first team football then good luck to him but just writing off an 18 year old seems weird.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Small is 18. To compare him to a 23 and 24 year old is harsh, let alone to call him a hanger on. If he leaves in search of first team football then good luck to him but just writing off an 18 year old seems weird.

Apologies, didn't realise he was so young! Absolutely right, let's give him some more time on loan.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

KWP, JWP, Lavia, ABK, Salisu will be the most in demand. AMN, Elmo, Big Willy and Theo are out of contract. Already hearing tales about Orsic being out the door, plus Perraud and Diallo having deals lined up. There’s 12, plus there’s others like DCC, Adams, Alcaraz and Bednarek who could quite feasibly be moved on. This squad is getting absolutely gutted.

Good it’s what needs to happen 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

So which players will the board actually fight to keep, that is , players likely to receive significant bids ?

JWP, Alcaraz, Che, Lyanco , Perraud, Bednarek, Stephens, Tella, Sully , DCC, SA ? 

I presume Mara is expected to stay ? Nobody seems to be discussing him.

edit : actually, nobody is likely to bid more than we owe on Sully, so I guess he is out of that equation .

Edited by teamsaint

2 minutes ago, teamsaint said:

So which players will the board actually fight to keep, that is , players likely to receive significant bids ?

JWP, Alcaraz, Che, Lyanco , Perraud, Bednarek, Stephens, Tella, Sully , DCC, SA ? 

I presume Mara is expected to stay ? Nobody seems to be discussing him.

They are not letting youg players on long contracts such as Lavia, ABK, Alcaraz and Sulemana go on the cheap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

They are not letting youg players on long contracts such as Lavia, ABK, Alcaraz and Sulemana go on the cheap.

No … according to CB Fry we’re loaning them out 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Umlaut said:

Once a saint, always a saint. With the exception of Ely, Diallo, AA, ABK, Salisu, Paul, Orsic, Aribo, AMN.

Ha, good point. Time for a name change. You get to an age (10?11?12?) when you don't change the club you support. As for the players, I don't expect to see Lyanco style histrionics but I sign that they cared and actually wanted to win a game would have helped. And as for ABK, he certainly gave me the impression he didn't give a toss and claimed injury at the first opportunity.

In nearly 50 years, I can't think of a squad I've cared about less. Apart from Alcaraz & Sulemana, any of them can leave.   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

Mads Andersen of Barnsley looks a great defender.

Think he’s their captain.

Danish as well.

Wonder how that scores on the matrix, or Rasmusometer (whatever it’s called).

(Apologies if found on another thread - a ‘senior’ trait I’m afraid). 

3 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Yes, and beyond if Stephens does go to Bournemouth on a perm. Tella possibly to Burnley if the clubs can agree a fee. Adams linked with Forest. DCC will be moving on I’d think. For Alcaraz and Sulemana it’ll need to be substantial offers to shift the club as the above dozen will raise plenty, bar Salisu who allegedly only has a £15m release fee. KWP plenty of suitors, Lavia too which pushes prices up even with relegation. JWP will have buyers. 

Martin will have funds to rebuild, Manning would be very welcome as an addition. Nathan Wood May be beyond us already. DC, MC and strikers areas to strengthen. The likes of Ballard, Payne, Doyle et al look like they could be breaking through next season on the bench at least. So it’s about top-2 calibre signings through the spine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Interesting. They were obviously interested before and £15m is a good deal for them. I don't think many of us expect to get top dollar for him now. We had our chance to make top money, but fucked it up

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Yes, and beyond if Stephens does go to Bournemouth on a perm. Tella possibly to Burnley if the clubs can agree a fee. Adams linked with Forest. DCC will be moving on I’d think. For Alcaraz and Sulemana it’ll need to be substantial offers to shift the club as the above dozen will raise plenty, bar Salisu who allegedly only has a £15m release fee. KWP plenty of suitors, Lavia too which pushes prices up even with relegation. JWP will have buyers. 

Martin will have funds to rebuild, Manning would be very welcome as an addition. Nathan Wood May be beyond us already. DC, MC and strikers areas to strengthen. The likes of Ballard, Payne, Doyle et al look like they could be breaking through next season on the bench at least. So it’s about top-2 calibre signings through the spine. 

I think it’s really important to keep Sulemana and Alcaraz for a promotion push next season.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I think it’s really important to keep Sulemana and Alcaraz for a promotion push next season.

I’d be telling them both they are staying put, assuming nothing was promised when we signed them.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Chez said:

Interesting. They were obviously interested before and £15m is a good deal for them. I don't think many of us expect to get top dollar for him now. We had our chance to make top money, but fucked it up

£15-20m will be his going rate, especially with 1 year left on his contract and an incredibly underwhelming season.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

£15-20m will be his going rate, especially with 1 year left on his contract and an incredibly underwhelming season.

I’d take it. Good player when he wants to be.

Most of his initial fee would be paid off so it’s a decent book price for us.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chez said:

Has he? Strange that Newcastle supposedly bid £40m for him then.

Maybe his release clause steps down incrementally with the remaining time on his contract. Possibly even a different figure in the event of relegation. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I'd be asking for 12/15 Million and Lascelles. 

He'd be very shrewd.

That will only work if Newcastle pay him a big sum on departure, as we won't match his Prem wages for the last year of his current deal. 

I have to say, he's never impressed me at Prem level...but we ain't playing there now are we!

• Like 3

So... 

Sell

Lavia - £40m

JWP - £35m

KWP - £20m

Salisu - £15m

ABK - £20m

Perraud - £5m

Diallo - £5m

Orsic - £2m??

Circa £140m and £330k pw wages

Released

Walcott

Ely

Caballero

£120k pw wages

Loanee Return

AMN

£30k pw wages

Unknown loans sell/keep

Tella

Stephens

Remaining

Bazunu

McCarthy

Livramento

DCC

Bednarek

Lyanco

Bree

Larios

Aribo

Armstrong

Djenepo 

Alcaraz

Sulemana

Edozie

Adams

Armstrong

Onoachu

Mara

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

I think it’s really important to keep Alcaraz for a promotion push next season.

Bro seems to be a bit of a quick to react at times so he’s gonna need to keep his noggin when he’s being kicked left, right and centre by some untalented retard. 

But yes, I agree he’s going to be a cut above if he stays. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I reckon we'd have got £50-60 million last summer had we sold him then and despite not having as good a season he still tops our goalscoring and assist charts playing in a crappier team. £40 million doesn't sound unreasonable and he still has 3 years on his contract. When Newcastle went down a few years ago they still got top dollar for Sissoko and Wijnaldum so it's possible to get good money.

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

So... 

Sell

Lavia - £40m

JWP - £35m

KWP - £20m

Salisu - £15m

ABK - £20m

Perraud - £5m

Diallo - £5m

Orsic - £2m??

Circa £140m and £330k pw wages

Released

Walcott

Ely

Caballero

£120k pw wages

Loanee Return

AMN

£30k pw wages

Unknown loans sell/keep

Tella

Stephens

Remaining

Bazunu

McCarthy

Livramento

DCC

Bednarek

Lyanco

Bree

Larios

Aribo

Armstrong

Djenepo 

Alcaraz

Sulemana

Edozie

Adams

Armstrong

Onoachu

Mara

On paper that doesn't look too bad a squad as long as we can bring in some decent additions (LB, CB, CM needs a lot of work, maybe a striker). I'd possibly look to ship out Aribo after a dire season but maybe the Championship will be more his time to shine. Then there's the stick or twist situation over the goalkeepers. Do we keep Bazunu as number 1 in the hope he comes good or do we go out and sign a new number 1? For me I'd be looking for a new keeper.

Would be very surprised to see Bournemouth sign Stephens permanently as suggested. While he had a good run of games from new year until they played us (ineligible), recently hes dropped to 5th choice behind Senesi, Kelly, Zabarnyi (who cost them 20m in January and who they have high hopes for) and Mepham.

I could see one of the promoted sides being interested as he would give them that no frills, solid, PL experience. Most likely scenario is that he'll be back with us and he could be very good in the championship. If it was between having Stephens back or keeping Lyanco, its a no brainer for me.

Edited by woodsaint1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

"hoping to get up to £40m"

Brilliant negotiating skills I see. :mcinnes:

Its almost as if many Journo's use many words interchangeably depending on the weather.
image.png.e7639b9042630d6d3f675d0018271a47.png

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, SNSUN said:

I reckon we'd have got £50-60 million last summer had we sold him then and despite not having as good a season he still tops our goalscoring and assist charts playing in a crappier team. £40 million doesn't sound unreasonable and he still has 3 years on his contract. When Newcastle went down a few years ago they still got top dollar for Sissoko and Wijnaldum so it's possible to get good money.

On paper that doesn't look too bad a squad as long as we can bring in some decent additions (LB, CB, CM needs a lot of work, maybe a striker). I'd possibly look to ship out Aribo after a dire season but maybe the Championship will be more his time to shine. Then there's the stick or twist situation over the goalkeepers. Do we keep Bazunu as number 1 in the hope he comes good or do we go out and sign a new number 1? For me I'd be looking for a new keeper.

Doesn't look too bad a squad - seriously? Janny B, Djenepo, McCarthy, Aribo and Lyanco have all the attributes to be just as shit in the championship. Difficult to say whether Larios and Tall Paul will be good, bad or meh. Bazunu may come good eventually, but I'm not sure it will be for a few years yet.

That squad is so light on quality we will need a significant number of new players especially to play possession football.

• Confused 2

None of our players are shit.

They have been managed incorrectly and as a team their confidence is rock bottom.

With the right management staff they will be flying again. Look what Emery did for Villa? Went from relegation certainties to almost getting in Europe.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

None of our players are shit.

They have been managed incorrectly and as a team their confidence is rock bottom.

With the right management staff they will be flying again. Look what Emery did for Villa? Went from relegation certainties to almost getting in Europe.

Paul Daniels couldn’t turn Ely into a good player.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Not yet. Still waiting for @manji to provide the relevant links as he mentioned it the other day.

As soon as I have it, I'll let you know ...

He's put £20M in over the last few months sure? the £15M and the extra £5M more recently? But £400M? Not seen any reference to that anywhere.

14 hours ago, Chewy said:

No … according to CB Fry we’re loaning them out 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Wasn't he saying that the clubs we signed them from won't be happy that we've reneged on our side of the deal (by getting relegated), and can now tell us where we need to loan them to etc?

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

If it was between having Stephens back or keeping Lyanco, its a no brainer for me.

Both, please. CB and DM are the big holes in our projected squad for next season, and they are both options for both spots (I know "Stephens at DM" is a meme, but Lyanco playing a bit further forward were he could use his technical skills on the ball more and where his defensive shenanigans wouldn't be such a liability would be fun). Plus if we're looking to have CBs who are comfortable on the ball, they'd be better than most.

------------

Onuachu to Luton would be a win-win for all parties. If they're going to attack the Prem with the same game plan as the Championship, he's exactly what they want up front. If we could get half our money back on him that'd be miles better than we did with Carrillo.

Seems to me that the most likely scenario is that after the probable departures  we'll still have a couple of acceptable centre backs and full backs, wingers/wide midfielders and maybe one or two vaguely acceptable (by championship level) strikers. 

But central midfielders will be the major priority if we do lose JWP and Lavia. 

On 28/05/2023 at 00:36, Lighthouse said:

I can’t see Lavia’s agent agreeing to a deal which effectively bans him from signing for anyone but City. It would put them in a much weaker position. None of us know the exact details of this clause but most of the rumours point to a pretty straight forward buy-back fee, starting in 2024.

My understanding is they can buy him back for a straight 40m in 2024 but also have a 15/20% sell on fee too, so either way they’re ok

Not convinced he makes their team anyway tbh… Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea even probably Utd will need a good No.6… City effectively have Rodri who is probably the best 6 in the world right now, Im not concerned about City

• Like 1