Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

13 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

First 12 games - won 4 drawn 7 lost 1 = 19 points

Next 34 games - won 25 drawn 7 lost 2 = 82 points.

On the first day of the season, we didn't have Tella, Zaroury, Benson or Beyer.  It definitely took time to get up to full speed, so if we hadn't been so good might have been a problem.  (West Brom and Middlesbrough made poor starts as well, and never caught up.)

As for chasing Tella, Nixon (believed by some to be the fount of all wisdom about Burnley) reckons the bid is £9m and Southampton want £13m-£15m.  Make of that what you will.

Cheers for that. Not that bad a start then really although could have been better. 

I'd be absolutely gutted if we lost Tella for a small amount. Anyone we buy in to replace him will be a risk whereas he is a proven performer in the championship. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bennyev said:

Lavia left City cause he wanted game time.

And now he’s potentially gonna end up moving a yr later to a team where he’ll be sat on the bench again. 

What a waste of a player.

No he left to gain first team experience. He now has that and if he ends up with poch or even at Liverpool then he will be playing most weeks. 

• Like 6

Found our goalie! Yahia Fofana plays for Angers in French league. He's 22 and looks fantastic and wouldn't cost much. Just checked out his skills videos and he is superb in the air, very commanding,  a great sweeper keeper, good shot stopper and his distribution looks excellent. Get him signed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

Found our goalie! Yahia Fofana plays for Angers in French league. He's 22 and looks fantastic and wouldn't cost much. Just checked out his skills videos and he is superb in the air, very commanding,  a great sweeper keeper, good shot stopper and his distribution looks excellent. Get him signed.

Sounds like Baz in league one for Pompey.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, saintant said:

We don't want a youngster. Proven experienced keeper only please. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

I think Sulemana will end up the better player, but I'd rather keep Tella. His form and experience winning the Champ would be massive for us. Would be gutted if he went.

Ooh that’s a tough one . Probably keep sully myself but hope to god we keep both … absolute scary pair of wide forwards for the championship .. can’t think of a championship team that’s had better really 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 1

The dominoes are starting to wobble. It was always likely that Chelsea would come in for Lavia because they started sniffing right after he arrived here; their interest is likely to deepen at the thought of him ending up at Liverpool - and vice versa.

i hope that’s the first one to fall because it will be big money, and there’s no way that he (unlike JWP) could stay here.

It might take a while but when it happens I think we’ll move quickly on some targets. We may be may pleasantly surprised because I think we’ve been working to a clear recruitment plan - not necessarily involving the names that the non-ITK bloggers keep claiming.

7 hours ago, saintant said:

Big, brave and seems to be able to kick a football and save a football, sign me up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

What's the feeling? Is he going? Obviously not for that amount but personally I would reject anything below 20.

I don’t think hd is, I think Burnley are pissing everyone off lowballing, but tbf they don’t have a huge budget

Ive said it before, at 20m or so Id probably cash in.. thats a hefty amount for a 23 yr old thats only really had 1 good season, under that figure I think he’ll play a good part this year, and he’s looked sharp in pre season

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

If Burnley stump up the money yes.

Any idea how much we want for him?

If he does go, I'd hope to see Sulemana stay - losing both and relying on Aribo, Djenepo, Edozie and the youngsters as our wide forwards would be brave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Big, brave and seems to be able to kick a football and save a football, sign me up

What is this “save a football “ thing to which you refer? I have some vague recollection of the principal, but that is all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 25/07/2023 at 05:51, Chris cooper said:

You best fuck off up there sunshine !!!!!

I know it is unlikely that you would be interested in broadening your knowledge and understanding of Liverpool  but this is an interesting book

Local: A Club and its City: Liverpool's Social History Paperback by Daniel Fieldsend (Author) Paperback

THE TELEGRAPH SPORTS BOOK OF THE YEAR 2020 SHORTLIST. "On the banks of the River Mersey is a city with a radical character, shaped by its geography and the achievements of its community - in music, culture and politics. Liverpool is now defined mostly by its appetite for football and the continental successes of its most renowned club. What then does it mean to be a local 'Red' - sculpted by the city's social history - in an age of global expansion? Former players, dedicated fans and civic leaders explain the relationship between the club they support and the city of their birth, exploring the events and moments in time that moulded their unique identity. This is the story of Liverpool, a club and its city." 

You could receive it for me for £2.50 plus postage as I have finished with it

I always think a City that boycotts the Sun Newspaper should be commended

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, John B said:

I know it is unlikely that you would be interested in broadening your knowledge and understanding of Liverpool  but this is an interesting book

Local: A Club and its City: Liverpool's Social History Paperback by Daniel Fieldsend (Author) Paperback

THE TELEGRAPH SPORTS BOOK OF THE YEAR 2020 SHORTLIST. "On the banks of the River Mersey is a city with a radical character, shaped by its geography and the achievements of its community - in music, culture and politics. Liverpool is now defined mostly by its appetite for football and the continental successes of its most renowned club. What then does it mean to be a local 'Red' - sculpted by the city's social history - in an age of global expansion? Former players, dedicated fans and civic leaders explain the relationship between the club they support and the city of their birth, exploring the events and moments in time that moulded their unique identity. This is the story of Liverpool, a club and its city." 

Think I'm going to throw up.

• Like 12

As ever, if Tella wants to go (which I am sure he does) then every player has a price. He has 2 years left on his contract and I am sure wouldn't currently sign an extension.

His stock is high after last season, he has never performed well at PL level so his value is currently at its highest.

Like with all offers, its the start of a negotiation. If they stump up our value then he will go and I expect he probably will.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

As ever, if Tella wants to go (which I am sure he does) then every player has a price. He has 2 years left on his contract and I am sure wouldn't currently sign an extension.

His stock is high after last season, he has never performed well at PL level so his value is currently at its highest.

Like with all offers, its the start of a negotiation. If they stump up our value then he will go and I expect he probably will.

With that logic you only keep those that have underperformed 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, egg said:

Any idea how much we want for him?

If he does go, I'd hope to see Sulemana stay - losing both and relying on Aribo, Djenepo, Edozie and the youngsters as our wide forwards would be brave.

but we are brave, we are bold and brave.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, John B said:

I would rather shit in my hands and clap than read that 

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

27 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I'm a touch torn with Tella. 

Imo he's not a PL standard player and 15-20m for him would be incredible value. Being completely fair, if we'd had an offer of 9m for him last summer, we'd have snapped their hand off. 

However; he's proven that in the right system, he can be a big asset in the championship. If we had just signed him off the back of last season, we'd all be really excited. 

On balance, I think if we get a decent offer for him £15m+, we should probably look to move him on and replace him with someone who can / will be able to do it at the step above - which I don't think Tella will. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Oh so now we’re not just selling them off cheap we’re subsidising them aswell

Fuck me… let me know when you out your house on the market 👍🏻

13 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

There is plenty of time to go in the window and a European Champs next year. We’ve already started moving players on

We’ll be fine

Id expect another 2 minimum to be gone by next week, if it pushes on we’ll probably look at loans

🤦‍♂️ 

Have you been living under a rock for the past 5 years, many a crap player which we've over paid for has come in, failed and we've struggled to give them away (loan or transfer) without having to chip in to some of their contract. 

If we want that pile of shit gone from the club, we'll need to take a hit on them. Its as simple as that. 

33 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

With that logic you only keep those that have underperformed 

Thats what happens when you get relegated and some players have interest from the PL. There is a foodchain and we have fallen down it.

On 25/07/2023 at 07:23, wild-saint said:

Although if you change your date range to the last 30 years then not so much.

Of course that is true but I have been following Football from since 1954 so in that time Liverpool and Manchester United have been the stand out teams with great results

I started following Saints in about 1960 and starting watching them regularly since 1962 when my family returned to Southampton.

I left Southampton in 1968 but continually have watched and followed them since.

1 May 1976 when we won the cup was the best day of my life and following them in the winter of 1978 when I was in SE Asia and Australia and convinced we would return to Div 1 was challenging without the Internet but Libraries of the British Council in Cities like Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta helped as I could find newspapers with the results.

I returned to England and watched us win at Leyton Orient and draw at home to Spurs to gain a second promotion to Div 1 after being at Leyton Orient in 1966 to see them virtually assure of promotion as long as we did not lose 6 0 to Man City in our last game.

During the last sixty years Saints have been mostly in the Top 20 clubs in the country and at the moment we have no real top class players compared with those I have seen since 1962.

I do get depressed with all the negative vibes on this forum at the moment but following Saints has been great despite mostly mediocre results and looking forward to the coming season although I have little idea how we will perform and who will actually be playing.

I think the first thirty years or so  before the PL where success is dependent on money was a great deal better than the last thirty years 

I buy and sell football books and read some of them and quite by chance have this one

Which is why I responded to the original Bollix about Liverpool

I always think a City that boycotts the Sun Newspaper should be commended as well

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, John B said:

Of course that is true but I have been following Football from since 1954 so in that time Liverpool and Manchester United have been the stand out teams with great results

I started following Saints in about 1960 and starting watching them regularly since 1962 when my family returned to Southampton.

I left Southampton in 1968 but continually have watched and followed them since.

1 May 1976 when we won the cup was the best day of my life and following them in the winter of 1978 when I was in SE Asia and Australia and convinced we would return to Div 1 was challenging without the Internet but Libraries of the British Council in Cities like Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta helped as I could find newspapers with the results.

I returned to England and watched us win at Leyton Orient and draw at home to Spurs to gain a second promotion to Div 1 after being at Leyton Orient in 1966 to see them virtually assure of promotion as long as we did not lose 6 0 to Man City in our last game.

During the last sixty years Saints have been mostly in the Top 20 clubs in the country and at the moment we have no real top class players compared with those I have seen since 1962.

I do get depressed with all the negative vibes on this forum at the moment but following Saints has been great despite mostly mediocre results and looking forward to the coming season although I have little idea how we will perform and who will actually be playing.

I think the first thirty years or so  before the PL where success is dependent on money was a great deal better than the last thirty years 

I buy and sell football books and read some of them and quite by chance have this one

I always think a City that boycotts the Sun Newspaper should be commended as well

I know where you are coming from. I know its fashionable to mock the Scousers and they do irritate the hell out of me but imo they retain a modicum of sportsmanship (who can forget the Kop applauding when MLT turned Mark Wright inside out before scoring) and as you said the Sun boycott is a lesson to us all. Give me Liverpool any day over the insufferable Newcastle fans who think they got their club back when the Saudi bone saw boys bought them.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, John B said:

I applaud any city that boycotts the Sun but your logic is flawed. Just because there's a book evangelising about how amazing Merseyside is does not invalidate the lived experience other people have had with the city.

Edited by coalman

10 hours ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

I think Sulemana will end up the better player, but I'd rather keep Tella. His form and experience winning the Champ would be massive for us. Would be gutted if he went.

Think Sulemena has the higher ceiling but getting distinct vibes that Sulemana has no interest in being here. If that is true we definitely shouldn't be getting rid of Tella.

• Like 1

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Think Sulemena has the higher ceiling but getting distinct vibes that Sulemana has no interest in being here. If that is true we definitely shouldn't be getting rid of Tella.

If Sulemena is injured we're unlikely to offload him in this window.

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

What is this “save a football “ thing to which you refer? I have some vague recollection of the principal, but that is all.

It's a new rule FIFA introduced a while ago. The keeper is now allowed to use his hands to catch the ball to stop it reaching an opposing forward,  or parry (save) a goalbound shot to prevent it going into his net. Some clubs took to this new rule quite quickly but traditionalists like Southampton still consider it a form of cheating, pointing out the sport is called football for a reason, and refuse to adopt the new tactics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I think the thing with Tella, and to an extent Smallbone, is they don’t seem to be playing with the burden of last season. For me, in the last two pre-season games, they have looked two of the standouts and they seem to just be playing with confidence. Sometimes that is more important than quality, if that quality is weighed down by self-doubt - there are definitely players in this squad that are much better than we saw last season, and if they’d have had a season at Burnley on loan I expect we’d be desperate for them to stay rather than hoping we can shift them. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Im fairly sure he was part of the ‘French’ clique that were making noises about not wanting to be here towards the end of last season

Its why I was pretty sure Perraud, Diallo, him and Mara would be off to some degree

Whether those thoughts have since mellowed im not sure

11 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Won’t have to wait long to see if it’s true. Chelsea have a horde of well-connected media peeps.

Didnt that bloke who came from Man City and buggered off to Chelsea in weeks bring Lavia to us? If so he still may have contact with him

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OldNick said:

Didnt that bloke who came from Man City and buggered off to Chelsea in weeks bring Lavia to us? If so he still may have contact with him

Apparently it's Shields that is driving Chelsea's interest

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Haven't heard of any interest in him other than Burnley who are offering insulting money. Unless they massively increase their offer, and I doubt they will, then he stays.

Good if Lavia gets done soon, hopefully movement on others too to give RM clarity.

Re Sulemana, wonder if his is a situation where a loan would be the best option, if he is determined to leave this summer?

He still has 4 years left and a good season in France would increase his value. If we sold him now we would probably get less than we paid which seems pointless, especially as he is clearly a player of high potential and with some in demand characteristics.

There is also the factor that if we sell all the players with PL quality/potential and still go up we would have a huge recruitment need next summer to be competitive at PL level.

A loan could protect the asset and give future options.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Good if Lavia gets done soon, hopefully movement on others too to give RM clarity.

Re Sulemana, wonder if his is a situation where a loan would be the best option, if he is determined to leave this summer?

He still has 4 years left and a good season in France would increase his value. If we sold him now we would probably get less than we paid which seems pointless, especially as he is clearly a player of high potential and with some in demand characteristics.

There is also the factor that if we sell all the players with PL quality/potential and still go up we would have a huge recruitment need next summer to be competitive at PL level.

A loan could protect the asset and give future options.

Fuck them. the ones with 'PL quality' have let us down for a few seasons now. 

They might be good players individually but as a squad they were very poor. No fight, No bottle, No quality. 

I'd rather we got rid of the lot and rebuilt again in the eventuality of going up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

Wonder if a move for Alex Scott could be a go, especially as it seems top division clubs aren't going to move for him it seems just yet. Would be pricey but looks a silky player who can carry the ball between lines. 

Yes please! This lad can play so would love him at the club. Not sure how likely it is to happen but he'd be a great addition.

2 hours ago, John B said:

Give it to a charity shop. Not one in Liverpool though - it will only get stolen

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

Wonder if a move for Alex Scott could be a go, especially as it seems top division clubs aren't going to move for him it seems just yet. Would be pricey but looks a silky player who can carry the ball between lines. 

Very good player, but there were links to PL clubs earlier - Bournemouth one of them I think

Bristol City have scared off suitors with their £30-35m asking price though, so it's not something we can get near.