Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

4 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Show me this window where we have dropped our pants 

Indeed. We've done the absolute opposite. I think he refers to ABK who's now looking like being loaned rather than being loaned with an obligation. 

3 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

With THB coming in, I wonder if that signals Bednarek moving out?

We've lost Lyanco, likely to lose ABK and Stephens is out for a couple of months with an injury, I don't think Bednarek is going anywhere.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Terrific signing, THB (tbh). I wonder if he will immediately be made captain?

Wonder if that's who RM had in mind for the role?

Have to say they are playing a blinder. a creative winger (maybe THAT one) and it's a 9/10 window (assuming Stewart signs)

No chance. Another striker needed on top for certain. 

• Like 1

Just now, egg said:

Indeed. We've done the absolute opposite. I think he refers to ABK who's now looking like being loaned rather than being loaned with an obligation. 

Tino - wanted £50m, got £40m

JWP - wanted £50m, got £30m

Che / ABK - Sending out on loan ffs. I don't see how that suits the club in any way shape or form. 

• Confused 7

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Guess Che maybe pays for him next year

ABK I'd imagine....loan him out and sell next summer, and loan in THB who we buy next summer. Good business, especially as we're not committed to buying THB if we don't go up, and still have ABK at our disposal. 

Welcome THB! 

So squad summery and movement on deadline day, does it look something like this -

GK: Fine, we probably need to ship out McCarthy but I think he stays. If he went we'd need to source a 3rd keeper and I think we have too much going on in other positions.

RB: PLEASE KEEP KWP!!! Him with Bree as back up will be fine. We've been looking at RBs though I wonder if we're trying to ship Bree out rather than KWP. I will keep everything crossed tonight that KWP stays. 

LB: Manning, Larios and Meghoma. Fine. Can't see any movement there.

CB: Bednarek, Stephens, THB and Holgate. Should be enough with Charles as 5th choice. Bednarek goes? We need another. I can't see it but you never know. ABK to go.

CM: Charles, Downes, Smallbone, Armstrong, Doyle, Alcaraz. I think we're done here.

AM/Wing: SAA, Edozie, Fraser, Aribo, Djenepo, Sulemana. We've said we want to replace Tella. Aribo and Djenepo surplus to requirements? Roberts in? Sulemana out? 

Striker: Well fuck me if this needs work today. AA, Adams, Onuachu, Mara, Ballard as it stands. Adams, Mara, Onuachu and Ballard could all go today leaving us with AA. Stewart in. SURELY we need a third striker. I'm really surprised we seem to be loaning Ballard out. Risky IMO. If we go into the meat of this season with AA and Stewart as our only two strikers we are in big trouble. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen. AA is not a striker (though he'll get a few) and Stewart's fitness is questionable. In SFC we trust!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

it has to be 2 strikers. We cannot go into the season with 1 striker who has a questionable injury record and wont be fit for a month. 

and no, AA cannot play through the middle, we've seen that more than enough times

Against QPR & Sheff W, Adam Armstrong played up front and he made no impression on the game.  When he played behind his performance improved enormously. 

However, when he scored 28 goals for Blackburn in the Championship he played up front, so I wouldn't (yet) dismiss his ability to play there. I certainly don't think that it works when the opponents play a low block which neutralises his pace and lack of physical presence. It may yet work in games where the opposition have more of the ball and leave more space at the back (i.e. against better teams, away from home). 

I'm not convinced, but think that it could still work on a selective basis. 

Just now, WALK DMC said:

Against QPR & Sheff W, Adam Armstrong played up front and he made no impression on the game.  When he played behind his performance improved enormously. 

However, when he scored 28 goals for Blackburn in the Championship he played up front, so I wouldn't (yet) dismiss his ability to play there. I certainly don't think that it works when the opponents play a low block which neutralises his pace and lack of physical presence. It may yet work in games where the opposition have more of the ball and leave more space at the back (i.e. against better teams, away from home). 

I'm not convinced, but think that it could still work on a selective basis. 

Is that actually true? I was lead (maybe incorrectly) to believe he played more out on the left / in the 10. Not too dissimilar to how he's been playing here. 

Personally, I think at this level, he's absolutely brilliant in the deeper role and starts ahead of Alcaraz for me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dman said:

Tino - wanted £50m, got £40m

JWP - wanted £50m, got £30m

Che / ABK - Sending out on loan ffs. I don't see how that suits the club in any way shape or form. 

I think you're in a minority here.

We got good money for Tino and JWP. I'm not interested in rumours of what we apparently wanted, or what people on here think he's worth.

The ABK departure is bloody obvious.

Ditto Che. We won't let his contract run down to give him away next year, nobody will pay us what we want in the way that we want to be paid, he won't commit to a new deal and stay here playing, and why on earth would we sign him up to potentially be stuck with him when we're in the PL? 

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, egg said:

I think you're in a minority here.

We got good money for Tino and JWP. I'm not interested in rumours of what we apparently wanted, or what people on here think he's worth.

The ABK departure is bloody obvious.

Ditto Che. We won't let his contract run down to give him away next year, nobody will pay us what we want in the way that we want to be paid, he won't commit to a new deal and stay here playing, and why on earth would we sign him up to potentially be stuck with him when we're in the PL? 

FWIW - I think the value we got is pretty fair. Just not a fan of coming out saying about how we demand X and they'll only leave on our terms. 

As you've said, in the minority I suspect. 

Although, I do think Che is worth more to us this season than £15m is next. So long as we get 2 strikers in, it wont matter. 

Just now, Dman said:

FWIW - I think the value we got is pretty fair. Just not a fan of coming out saying about how we demand X and they'll only leave on our terms. 

As you've said, in the minority I suspect. 

Although, I do think Che is worth more to us this season than £15m is next. So long as we get 2 strikers in, it wont matter. 

When did the club "come out and say" they demand £50m for Livramento (or any of them). I don't remember that happening.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Where have the club been quoted on the price of a player they’re looking to offload??

Time to change tact, you’re having a bad one. 

Edited by notnowcato
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Cole Palmer gone for £42m. Man City’s academy might as well just be a Royal Mint printing press.

They had a graphic on SSN of their sales. Over £50m for players most of us didn’t even know were at the club 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Striker: Well fuck me if this needs work today. AA, Adams, Onuachu, Mara, Ballard as it stands. Adams, Mara, Onuachu and Ballard could all go today leaving us with AA. Stewart in. SURELY we need a third striker. I'm really surprised we seem to be loaning Ballard out. Risky IMO. If we go into the meat of this season with AA and Stewart as our only two strikers we are in big trouble. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen. AA is not a striker (though he'll get a few) and Stewart's fitness is questionable. In SFC we trust!

Well Andy Carroll just left Reading ...... 🤣

Really happy with the THB signing, although I can't see any mention on the website of this obligation to buy people are talking about?

The only things I'm really nervous about today are losing KWP and being left short up front. All window I've been sure we'd lose KWP so it would be brilliant if he stays, but if he does go he needs replacing.  If we are losing Che and possibly Mara/Ballard/Tall Paul as well then we need another addition on top of Stewart.

Get these two positions sorted and I think we'll have had an excellent window.

3 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Mara to stay and develop. 

Personally if we think we can get Mara engaged I'd rather we keep him than get a replacement.  He clearly has talent but big question marks over his commitment 

Edited by Barsiem
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

Any chance you could do my driveway - and bring that bottle of Burgundy with you too......?

I'd be happy to put a driveway in for any Saints supporter!     But if KWP goes, the 2016 Domaine Faively Les Porets-Saint Georges stays in the rack until we get promoted!!

There's a lot resting on the next 11 hours or so isn't there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barsiem said:

Personally if we think we can get Mara engaged I'd rather we keep him than get a replacement.  He clearly has talent but big question marks over his commitment 

Can't figure Mara out. He's frustrating. Clearly has a lot of talent and potential, but figuring out a way to unlock it seems tricky. He's had three different managers here, and if Russ doesn't see it then I'm happy to trust the process. Things like the finish against City in the cup though...none of our other strikers (since Ings) would have managed that. Cool as you like.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Mara to stay and develop. 

I can only assume other targets aren't achievable in that case. 

think there is a player in Mara - we just haven't seen it yet. Will we ever is the big question. Really needs to work for him and us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kitch said:

Can't figure Mara out. He's frustrating. Clearly has a lot of talent and potential, but figuring out a way to unlock it seems tricky. He's had three different managers here, and if Russ doesn't see it then I'm happy to trust the process. Things like the finish against City in the cup though...none of our other strikers (since Ings) would have managed that. Cool as you like.

Think if he stays he probably starts tomorrow if Che goes.