Newcastle 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

FarehamSaintJames

20 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Without the money they would still be bottom half. Cannot stand them as a club.

But now they have money, they deserve to win trophies and compete in the Champions League. Apparently.

Most commentators and pundits revel in licking their holes. 

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Sold 1700 I understand, surely most making the effort are at least getting a weekend away out of it, anyone going up and back in the day deserves a medal. 

Wonder if we'll follow Spurs example with refunds to fans?! 

I understand that Saints have already agreed to refund the travelling supporters for the performance. Selles said ‘We really appreciate the support they give us and recognise that with my incompetence and the players lack of application that it’s only right and proper that we refund the fans for this game. The fact that the game hasn’t taken place yet is irrelevant as we all know what garbage we’ll serve up’. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Fans deserve it too. Apparently they are the greatest ever

In fairness, they are one of the very few teams that have suffered mediocre success in recent times. Must be difficult seeing everyone else win shit all the damn time. 

4 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Checked out of this season after the Brentford defeat. Only thing I'll be cheering for is somebody hitting Jacob Murphy a two footer around the head

Totally agree. He's a wanker. Seeing as we have nothing to play for just boot him into the stands. A red card won't make any difference. We've played like we've been down to 10 all season anyway (well  most of it).

13 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Without the money they would still be bottom half. Cannot stand them as a club.

It can be argued that they have spent their "blood money" better than most (eg. Chelsea) but it's still a fact that without a (circa) £300mil net spend they would be nowhere near where they are now...

Unfortunately when the dust settles they will be like Man City and most will forget that they used to be a 'normal' club before being bought by a country for sport washing reasons 😔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jawillwill said:

Everyone pumped and excited for today's game? Victory isn't guaranteed but it's great to know that we can fully expect to see free flowing attacking football, passion and desire from this set of players that bleed red and white.

COYFR!!!!

Just knowing that we get to play against top EPL teams is what gives me the greatest pleasure.

Warm and fuzzy: just like Semmens told us to be.

10 hours ago, BranfootsLoveChild said:

Totally agree. He's a wanker. Seeing as we have nothing to play for just boot him into the stands. A red card won't make any difference. We've played like we've been down to 10 all season anyway (well  most of it).

Could we ask Elyounoussi to do it, he is disciplined and  always follows the instructions he's given..?

Edit: or AArmstrong?

Edited by suewhistle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/04/2023 at 22:39, fanimal said:

Well McCarthy and Perraud have to play in this one with KWP back on the right 

Usual midfield I suppose but no idea who should/ will start up front it’s a bit like a one armed bandit approach or Michael Macintyres Spin the wheel

21 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

McCarthy

KWP DCC Bednarek Perraud

Lavia JWP

Kamaldeen Alcaraz S Armstrong

Che

Dont even know why I bothered writing that out it’ll be prob be

Mccarthy

AMN DCC Bednarek KWP

Lavia JWP

Moi Alcaraz A Armstrong

Theo

fully agree on that first team . . stuey has to start 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BranfootsLoveChild said:

Yeah right. You really think our players care enough to get stuck in and receive a red card? 

This fixture is the one I've been most concerned about all season - even considering the Arsenal game.  We have produced some of our  

best performances away from home ...Wins at Leicester, Bournemouth, Everton and Chelsea, and draws against Man Utd and Arsenal -that is 

14 out of our measly 24 points. Only the thought of another two homes games is more fearful - considering we have suffered 11 defeats so far.

Newcastle historically have a great fan base and still pulled in over 40,000 for home games - even when they were down in League 1.

Few can doubt that Eddie has done a great job - with the help of a few hundred million spent on the right players, and they have performed very well.

The doors of ...the Last Chance Saloon ...are still swinging in the breeze, and we still can't get in ....or should it be ... get out?. 

Many of us would select "our best side" , but right now, it seems Selles is sticking with those he knows from his start back in the summer.

Whatever the players may have thought about Hassenhuttl and Jones, they seemed to respect Selles (in the start), but now the gloss has worn thin.

However, his recent team selections have baffled many of us and he seems unwilling to try any of the many January signings to start a game,

and JWP's enforced absence in the second half v. Bournemouth showed  how much we miss his influence on the rare occasions when he is absent.

There may  have been some justification for replacing Bazunu with McCarthy (a goalie I have seldom had much faith in), but we still see the same 

starters every game ( Elyounoussi and Adam Armstrong offer very little to any game), and although Walker-Peters and Perraud  look very positive

going forward (rather like their long ago predecessors ; Bale, Shaw and Targett ) appear rather mediocre as the defenders they were meant to be.

I would be happier to even see Maitland-Niles or Bree as an alternative defender.  It seems unlikely that we will ever see Orsic or Onuachu play more

than  45 minutes of Prem. football  (which is cruel considering that they are both senior players with vast experience in their particular roles.)

One can only hope that a changed in formation / or personnel may give us a lift, but sadly I fear that the line-up may be boringly predictable. 

Edited by david in sweden

11 hours ago, BranfootsLoveChild said:

Having 10 men is an advantage apparently 🤔

Chris Sutton isn't holding back in his predictions on BBC. He said "

Southampton were a disgrace on Thursday, bearing mind they were at home and needed to win the game. I thought their performance was gutless and they offered so little in attack.

The position Saints are in, I was expecting them to play with desperation and throw everything they could at Bournemouth.

Instead, they looked like a team who had already been relegated. How on earth they got a point against Arsenal last week, I really don't know."

and predicted a 5-0 loss.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Having 10 men is an advantage apparently 🤔

Chris Sutton isn't holding back in his predictions on BBC. He said "

Southampton were a disgrace on Thursday, bearing mind they were at home and needed to win the game. I thought their performance was gutless and they offered so little in attack.

The position Saints are in, I was expecting them to play with desperation and throw everything they could at Bournemouth.

Instead, they looked like a team who had already been relegated. How on earth they got a point against Arsenal last week, I really don't know."

and predicted a 5-0 loss.

I can’t stand Sutton, but he’s spot on there. Although 5-0 may be generous to us. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

You think we'll lose by double figures?

In all seriousness, no we shouldn’t.

But Newcastle scored 5 in what was it, 35 minutes last Sunday ? If that happened to our lot you know how easily that simply cave in, so anything is possible.

Its also possible, that we put a super human effort in, and nick something, with them also having an off day. We must be overdue something from this fixture (But then not turn up at Forest or home to Fulham). Not counting any chickens though. 

Edited by Badger

You think it's bad now. In 5 years time it will be the Oil-Rich Nations Premier League with a third of fixture - including the Boxing Day ones (do they still exist?) - played in one of the Gulf States or Russia (yes. they will have been forgiven by then).

If Newcastle are looking to pick up one or two Saints players at the end of the season maybe they'll go easy on them to avoid them getting injured. 😇

That's if any players looking for a move haven't already declared themselves unfit or tired or sick of course.

On 28/04/2023 at 19:36, FarehamSaintJames said:

Seems meaningless predicting the score nowadays.

So who makes the squad this week in the tombola? 🤣
My guess is Aribo and Onuachu to start. Edozie and Bree to make the bench. Mara not in the squad.

My guess now:

Bazunu
Lyanco, Bednarek, ABK, DCC, KWP
JWP, Elyounoussi, Aribo
Adams, A. Armstrong

Bree, Djenepo and Orsic to make the bench.
Lavia to be benched (for no good reason).
Mara and McCarthy not in the squad.

Over four goals to the home team. Good betting 💪🏻😅

7 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

What I want to see today is a huge reaction after Thursdays poor showing. That starts from Selles actually going positive and picking the right attacking formula - let's see - COYR :)

Our players will put in a shift today.  This is another 'shop window' game so all those looking to stay in the prem will be out to show what they can do to the Newcastle scouts.

3-0 to Newcastle.

54 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

What I want to see today is a huge reaction after Thursdays poor showing. That starts from Selles actually going positive and picking the right attacking formula - let's see - COYR :)

What I want to see is the end of this fecking season.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Newcastle 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic