Mason Holgate

Edmonton Saint

Awful performance, possibly a factor being that I don't think he played at all in pre season for Everton and also missed our Brentford friendly so clearly wasn't match sharp after just a few days of training with us.

In hindsight Charles should have played alongside Bednarek.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Awful performance, possibly a factor being that I don't think he played at all in pre season for Everton and also missed our Brentford friendly so clearly wasn't match sharp after just a few days of training with us.

That’s exactly how I saw it, so I am reserving judgment on him. His performance reminded me of the first game of football having not kicked a ball all summer holidays with your legs just not doing what you wanted them to do.

It makes the decision to start him even more bizarre. I hope he doesn’t become the new whipping boy based on his first appearance.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

That’s exactly how I saw it, so I am reserving judgment on him. His performance reminded me of the first game of football having not kicked a ball all summer holidays with your legs just not doing what you wanted them to do.

It makes the decision to start him even more bizarre. I hope he doesn’t become the new whipping boy based on his first appearance.

Generally I would give a player the benefit of the doubt, especially if he had proved at his prior club he can be decent. The issue for me is literally every Everton fan says he is absolutely shite.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Spoke to an Everton fan last night who watched our game.

Said that was one of Holgates better games!!

Ha ha so we have his worse to come 😕

Everton were playing at Sheff Utd at exactly the same time our match was on.

He can't be much of a fan if he chose to watch our game instead.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Hahaha. Yes, touch completely off. No positional awareness, just running around. Good times. If you’re any good, you eventually settle down. That was Lyancos problem - every day was there first day of pre season.

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

Yeah, as shite as he was this one is laregely on RM. Why he didnt go with Charles is anyones guess......almost as much as why he waited so long to take him off !

I was quite surprised not to hear ironic cheers from the Saints fans who made the trip when he did come off tbh.  

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Yeah, as shite as he was this one is laregely on RM. Why he didnt go with Charles is anyones guess......almost as much as why he waited so long to take him off !

I was quite surprised not to hear ironic cheers from the Saints fans who made the trip when he did come off tbh.  

There were quite a few ironic cheers tbh 

• Like 1

Crikey all this slating a player who hasnt played for months, no doubt he made mistakes but from watching the highlights where was our lord KWP in the goals, he was hardly trotting back for the fourth, wasnt to be seen. We need to remember MH is needed this season doesn't need his new fans to be on his back.

Ive seen many debuts with players not looking too great but going on to be very good for us, ive also seen debuts where the player has been brilliant but ended up tosh

On 03/09/2023 at 08:04, Pilchards said:

Spoke to an Everton fan last night who watched our game.

Said that was one of Holgates better games!!

Ha ha so we have his worse to come 😕

listening to an Everton fan was the first flaw in the comment lol

On 03/09/2023 at 09:30, Sheaf Saint said:

Everton were playing at Sheff Utd at exactly the same time our match was on.

He can't be much of a fan if he chose to watch our game instead.

Strange thing is I started watching the Everton game myself on a split screen as I was fed up with ours.

Who knows if he did the same or perhaps he might have been at a place showing all the games. Who cares!

On 03/09/2023 at 07:50, Dusic said:

Although most of us had the foresight and would’ve expected RM to have same. Of course Holgate could’ve had a blinder but likelihood was low

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

Being recalled by Everton apparently due to not starting enough games.

We'll need another 4th choice CB in Jan then.

I wonder if one of the nippers from the U21 could step up. Zach Awe, for instance.

Let’s face it we’re likely not gonna sign a new CB who is ahead of Bednarek and THB. Jack Stephens is back in the mix, so he either usurps one of the current two or plays second fiddle (and being as he was nominated skipper I imagine Martin has a first team place for him identified). Anyone coming into the club therefore is likely to be 4th choice immediately; plus Shea Charles can fill in at CB in the short term (though I don’t think he was any good at all when he played there). Not exactly an enticing loan for either player or club as they’ll likely get minimal game time.

• Like 2

If Holgate goes, does that open up a loan from elsewhere? Are we limited to how many loanees we can have? There's a chap at Chelsea who isn't getting any game time. Returning from an injury imminently apparently, but would be ideal to get him back up to fitness by loaning him to us for 6 months. Goes by the name of Romeo Lavia. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

If Holgate goes, does that open up a loan from elsewhere? Are we limited to how many loanees we can have? There's a chap at Chelsea who isn't getting any game time. Returning from an injury imminently apparently, but would be ideal to get him back up to fitness by loaning him to us for 6 months. Goes by the name of Romeo Lavia. 

Imagine Downes and Lavia playing together: both receiving under pressure, and then both playing quality straight through balls to the attackers. Both with a good ability to read the game, position themselves correctly and time tackles. It would be like having Romeu & JWP again, only less sideways.

The rest of the Championship would get ruthlessly humped!

[In midfield at least - we'd still miss a shed load of goal scoring chances]

• Like 1

A tough couple of opening games in a new system, while finding match sharpness. Improved from that. He's not likely to shift the Bernardo/ THB partnership, that's settled well. Stephens is decent and popular with Martin. Being 4th choice there isn't doing his career any favours.

KWP, Manning and Bree are ahead at fullback, so he's not getting in there either. It would have taken injuries and suspensions for him to get a run. Good for us to have him available, as I'm sure he'd get some game time as cover. Not much use to him.

Charles dropping in there seems the likely option. But we've a couple of previous purchases Simeu/ Awe that might get a nod. SR might have their eye on the next young talent off the City/Chelsea conveyor belt too.

25 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Charles dropping in there seems the likely option. But we've a couple of previous purchases Simeu/ Awe that might get a nod. SR might have their eye on the next young talent off the City/Chelsea conveyor belt too.

Simeu has long term injury, ruptured achilles in August.

• 1 month later...

Surely if he travelled to United for a medical, saints just have agreed for the loan to be terminated or Everton have recalled. Therefore surely they can’t send him back just because the deal has fallen through? 

3 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Surely if he travelled to United for a medical, saints just have agreed for the loan to be terminated or Everton have recalled. Therefore surely they can’t send him back just because the deal has fallen through? 

Neither, I’d have thought. Just an agreement in principle is my guess, we’ve agreed a deal for the season. We don’t want him, Everton definitely don’t want him, this seems like a compromise agreement that hit the skids.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Maybe this is why the Benson deal has hit the buffers too? We want rid of Holgate first to free up a loan spot?

We don't need to free up a loan spot. We can have more than 5 loans registered. Of course, it would mean leaving one out of a matchday squad, but there's nothing stopping us getting another loan as it stands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaintNewForest said:

We don't need to free up a loan spot. We can have more than 5 loans registered. Of course, it would mean leaving one out of a matchday squad, but there's nothing stopping us getting another loan as it stands.

I was thinking more from a financial perspective (appreciate my post did not say this!)

Edited by ErwinK1961
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hugh said:

I would have thought that after yesterday we would be keen to hang on to Holgate. We have a tough run of fixtures coming up and are probably going to need everyone.

Jan B is on 8 yellow cards - 2 more and he gets a 2 match ban

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mason Holgate has now conceded five goals on a debut appearance for the second time in six months.

Surely the first player to do that twice in the same season? 

Edited by CSA96
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Can anyone confirm if he's been responsible for any of the goals?

One was pretty much all him (or more accurately the fact he wasn’t where he should have been due to awful positioning.

The rest he’s no more culpable than the rest of his team who are abject