Was Che Adams playing for a transfer?

Fraser Spinney

For the past two summer transfer windows Adams has been heavily linked with a transfer. It felt like last summer his form nosedived after failing to secure a move away from the club and it feels like it has done so again this season. I had a look at his numbers and the difference in form and ask the question: Was he simply playing for a move on both occassions? Have a read and see what you think!

https://post-and-in.com/2023/10/16/is-che-adams-better-in-transfer-windows/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fraser Spinney said:

For the past two summer transfer windows Adams has been heavily linked with a transfer. It felt like last summer his form nosedived after failing to secure a move away from the club and it feels like it has done so again this season. I had a look at his numbers and the difference in form and ask the question: Was he simply playing for a move on both occassions? Have a read and see what you think!

https://post-and-in.com/2023/10/16/is-che-adams-better-in-transfer-windows/

If that’s true, I can’t imagine many EPL clubs being too interested in player with that sort of attitude…..

In the summer before last, it seemed that it was the club that thought they were getting in such cracking attacking players, that they could afford to let him go. I'm sure the club went out of their way to make him feel wanted at the time, feeling the need to shift him on to free up the wages and the squad space. That didn;t happen and he was left to lead the line in a succession of tactics that didn't suit him (or anyone else for that matter).

Interesting that he was considered to be playing well at a time when he was actually not starting games.

Anyway, he’s simply an inconsistent  player who goes through good spells and bad ones. Found it weird that fans were so desperate to keep him in the summer personally and even weirder they considered him to be a guaranteed goal scorer at this level when he’s only ever been that once in his career. Thankfully the club signed another striker too. Clearly wanted out in the summer but couldn’t get the move but no malice towards him but don’t believe it affected his performances because he’s simply always been like this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SW5 SAINT said:

If that’s true, I can’t imagine many EPL clubs being too interested in player with that sort of attitude…..

It's not so much his attitude that has put off people, it's the fact that he doesn't score many goals.

Desirable strikers in the PL look like Marcus Rashford and Earling Haaland not like Chex Adams.

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Che Adams getting a transfer out of Southampton should have been incredibly straightforward for him to get over the line. An open goal. A tap in, if you will.

I can't believe he missed it.

Brilliant!  Not sure on any conspiracy theories - just think he's a bit rubbish!

• Like 1

Been a sulking cunt in training these last few months I’ve been told.

They should just sell him to anyone 50% below his value as he is a waste of space and wages too.

PS - Just maybe he might step up for that Scotland forward line in the euros finals if he wants it.

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

They should just sell him to anyone 50% below his value as he is a waste of space and wages too.

PS - Just maybe he might step up for that Scotland forward line in the euros finals if he wants it.

What's he been sulking about though? Its hardly our fault no PL sides had any real interest in him. 

It's not like we just outright refused to sell him nor set unrealistic expectations for him. 

This season should have been a win, win for Che. Come down, score 20 goals, drum up interest to leave on a free next season or get a big bumper salary. 

If he has any realistic hopes of playing for Scotland next season, he's gonna have to seriously up his performances as he'll likely be behind his fellow scotsman Steward in a month or 2.

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1

I'd get rid in January but i seriously wonder who would want him?

It will beinteresting to see if the Scotland Euros qualification does make him pull his finger out but if he carries on like he is then when Stewart is fit he's slipping further down the pecking order.

I'd withdraw the new contract as well just in case the dopey bugger has a change of heart and we are lumbered with him ! 

• Like 1

No he’s just not that good..I think people have seriously overhyped him on here . Mainly for the reason he’s been in the side so much people have gotten to see his other attributes and tried to talk that aspect of his game up., the modern day ormerod or long with slightly differant attributes 

unfortunately having a striker that couldn’t finish his dinner is about as much good as having a keeper that don’t make saves  😱

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

No he’s just not that good..I think people have seriously overhyped him on here . Mainly for the reason he’s been in the side so much people have gotten to see his other attributes and tried to talk that aspect of his game up., the modern day ormerod or long with slightly differant attributes 

unfortunately having a striker that couldn’t finish his dinner is about as much good as having a keeper that don’t make saves  😱

Apart from that Idiot TWar (who was determined to have the worst take on everything) a year or so ago, who on earth has overhyped him 😂

He's universally been known to be absolute rubbish. 

• Confused 1

I still think he's OK as a "second" striker but he's just not great at leading the line on his own and his finishing isn't the best. In the system we play he's not the answer. I don't rate AA as a striker either particularly, he's better out wide, but I'd rather play him up top than Che right now. With Mara 'under' performing too, I really am pinning my hopes on Stewart coming in and hitting the ground running.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dman said:

Apart from that Idiot TWar (who was determined to have the worst take on everything) a year or so ago, who on earth has overhyped him 😂

Exactly.

I think some people, me included, thought he would be relatively handy playing in a decent Championship team.

But that is not, at any level "seriously overhyping" him.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dman said:

Dunno quite a few was claiming he was a 30 m player before last years summer window .. and better then broja apparently 😆.. he has quite a few fans 

I personally don’t think there’s such a thing as playing for a contract. To become a professional footballer is a very long and hard process and you need a winning mentality and a passion to always play your best. 

I played to a reasonable level when younger, but even when my mates and I would book a 5-A-Side court each week, I still gave 100% when stepping over the white line and scoring a goal then meant as much as when scoring in a real game for me. 

I just think he’s a very hot or cold player and goes through spells every now and then, hence because of this, Premier League clubs looked elsewhere. 

Edited by Behind Enemy Lines
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Dunno quite a few was claiming he was a 30 m player before last years summer window .. and better then broja apparently 😆.. he has quite a few fans 

That was A. Armstrong, which is arguably even more hilarious. 

16 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Hold my hands up, I thought he’d look really good at champ level. 

I think if he was anywhere close to his best he really could offer something. But he has been so sluggish. I wonder if he is unfit/overweight to be honest 

Looks to me that he's bulked up too much

On 17/10/2023 at 07:45, Pilchards said:

I think you've nailed it.  I've been thinking that his goals before the window closed were indicative and predicted a goal drought after it closed.  Against Rotherham he was  totally innocuous. He certainly didn't do anything to show he deserved a game.

• Like 1

He has had a few seasons to prove himself with us and the fact is that he is unable to score goals. For a striker, that is unbelievable and can be compared to our milkman unable to deliver our milk as he has forgotten where we live after all these years,

I really thought he’d shine this season, and after his 3 goals in the first few games it seemed that might be the case even if two of them were tap ins. He has however reverted back to his usual self of late though, and quite frankly after not wanting to lose him in the transfer window initially I genuinely can’t wait until he’s not part of this team anymore. Part of the worst Saints side in recent memory and he’s still stinking up the place, if a desperate Prem side come in for him next window take the money and run.

• 3 weeks later...

Adams was on the field yesterday in the 83rd minute. I'm not sure he touched the ball, made a meaningful run or tackle. On what I didn't see yesterday I have to ask myself why are we even bothering with him. IMO we should just unload him in January and take the best we can for him and bring in somebody who wants to play.

Those first few games the main difference was that he was really putting himself about, harassing defenders and the oppo keeper. Since the close of the window this part of his game is missing. Looks to be about commitment. He’ll be offski in January one way or another. 

6 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Those first few games the main difference was that he was really putting himself about, harassing defenders and the oppo keeper. Since the close of the window this part of his game is missing. Looks to be about commitment. He’ll be offski in January one way or another. 

Who will want him though? 

- Questionable attitude

- Poor scoring record (in premier league)

- Not very effective by himself

Doesn't strike me as a particularly desirable set of attributes.

46 minutes ago, derry said:

Adams was on the field yesterday in the 83rd minute. I'm not sure he touched the ball, made a meaningful run or tackle. On what I didn't see yesterday I have to ask myself why are we even bothering with him. IMO we should just unload him in January and take the best we can for him and bring in somebody who wants to play.

Never has opinion of a player fluctuated as much as it does re Che. 

He was labelled as useless last season, became the Messiah in the transfer window, and is now useless again.

I didn't watch yesterday, but I share your view. Move him on, and move on. 

• Like 1

Just now, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Best case scenario would be sell him in January and get a small amount for him before his contract is up. Reinvest any money (and saved wages) for someone who can help us in the second half of the season. 

Won't be much to reinvest. Maybe in the womens team.

• Haha 1

No - He just isn't very good at football. One decent season at this level with Birmingham and that's it. Don't even get this "he puts a shift in" thing either. One of the laziest players I've seen in a Saints shirt in recent times.

I honestly don't think Che even likes football. It's probably that he just happened to be good at it (compared to your average person) and decided to take it up as a career. A bit like David Bentley admitted after he'd retired.

• Haha 1

I've only just seen the sky highlights. For our goal, he was waiting at the back post for a tap in. In one of the early games, it eventually got to him for just such a goal. Then, it was a suggestion it could be a really good year for him. Now, he's a sub who will be on his way. I reckon he just gets on with what's asked of him.

I didn't realise he was even on the pitch yesterday. And once Stewart comes in to the side, I can't see a place for Che at all.

In some respects, it's a pity. Always used to think of him as being crap but committed to the cause, but in recent games he seems to have lost his way...not that he ever knew where the goal was.