January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

52 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Great news. 

Well, that should hopefully push SR to get in at least 1 immediate forward replacement, and be looking around to arrange a deal for Adams' departure.

Hopefully, this time, the forward :-

Will have two functional legs

Will remotely fit the system being played at the club

Will not be a mythical creature like a Yeti

Will put their signature in, and not change their mind leaving smug SR people looking incredibly dumb.

Little things...

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Mara wants to leave. Lille and Marseille make enquiries. Lille want him on loan with option to buy.

Ever so sorry if already posted.

I was in a restaurant in Bordeaux this week and the waiter asked where I was from and said is that near Southampton.  He is a good freind of  Mara , they were in the academy together.  Started to tell me about a possible loan move, but I couldn't get any more detailed info as the restaurant bot really busy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redkeith said:

I was in a restaurant in Bordeaux this week and the waiter asked where I was from and said is that near Southampton.  He is a good freind of  Mara , they were in the academy together.  Started to tell me about a possible loan move, but I couldn't get any more detailed info as the restaurant bot really busy.

i think Mara will be suited by a return to Ligue 1 - he'll have a bit more time on the ball.   What did you have for lunch/dinner? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

With Che and Mara probably leaving in Jan......maybe we could tempt Ings on loan?     Just a thought ....

Two things spring to mind. 1)Wages 2) He might end up keeping Stewart company in the treatment room.

5 hours ago, redkeith said:

Not convinced Mara is suited to front of house to be honest, take him forever to get to the tables from the counter. That said, if La Petite Maison Gerard can cover the loan fee at least he’d be busy on Saturdays…

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Another full back.

Another couple of midfielders.

A winger.

A striker (ideally one that isn’t injured upon signing).

😁

Priority is a minimum of two frontline starting level strikers and possibly a winger/forward as well. Adams probably going, Mara needs regular starting football overseas, not suited to English football and Stewart if ever fit will be an impact option if chasing the game in the last 15 minutes, giving an option to go longer and win first balls. Sulemana and Fraser have had an impact in fits and starts but the top three have more consistent options and I can see why there was interest in Patrick Roberts of Sunderland. 

Two front line forwards not made of glass who can help AA would be ideal but that will require some greater mixing up of the play to enable through balls and play off the defenders’ shoulders. Too predictable in attack. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint

With Che and Mara almost certainly off, Russell Martin is going to be left with just AA up front. We have to assume that Stewart will lurch on and off the treatment table.

That is a poor situation and needs sorting.

Decent strikers are notoriously difficult to buy in January. Nobody is given up a player in form.

It will be a test of SR's resolve.

Alternatively they can make Adams stay. He is at least a presence and we've seen that once he clicks he tends to go on a run of goals.

Something has to happen, that's for sure.

• Like 2

It’ll be a loan in January for a striker. Doesn’t make sense to try and sign someone permanently given the quality we’d attract. Far more likely to get better quality in the loan market imho.

Aside from the striker situation, I’d be surprised if we do anything much this transfer window. 

• Like 4

On 08/12/2023 at 20:58, gammon cheeks said:

With Che and Mara probably leaving in Jan......maybe we could tempt Ings on loan?     Just a thought ....

Been thinking about this again, and would we be permitted to have two players on loan from the same club (West Ham) at the same time ? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Another full back.

Another couple of midfielders.

A winger.

A striker (ideally one that isn’t injured upon signing).

😁

I’d like to see a GK who makes the saves you expect of him brought in as well.

But with all the talk of how Bazunu has improved that might be a minority choice. And given RM’s statement about being the best GK in the division it’s unlikely to be a starter. 

• Like 1

On 09/12/2023 at 10:21, austsaint said:

i think Mara will be suited by a return to Ligue 1 - he'll have a bit more time on the ball.   What did you have for lunch/dinner? 

3 courses for 27 € . Place is called Arcada. Top notch . 

It will be a shame if he goes , a bit like Juanmi , there is a decent player in there. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Holgate back to Everton in January.

Is this definite? It’s the right thing is so, iirc we’re paying around £35k a week in wages and, now Stephens is back, Holgate is probably 4th choice centre back. Everton get some of his wages paid but he’s not playing games or putting himself in the shop window so it’s not working out from their perspective.

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Is this definite? It’s the right thing is so, iirc we’re paying around £35k a week in wages and, now Stephens is back, Holgate is probably 4th choice centre back. Everton get some of his wages paid but he’s not playing games or putting himself in the shop window so it’s not working out from their perspective.

Yes unless we get a load of injuries I guess.

21 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

makes sense why we were linked with bringiing in a centre back over the weekend, Creswell from Leeds, although cant for the life of me see why leeds would loan a player to a promotion rival

3 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Holgate back to Everton in January.

Would make sense as even with the fixtures, we’ve not used him that much to start, although he’s improved quite a bit after the Sunderland debut tbf. If Jack is fit then it frees up a striker on loan, although at least another starting striker will need to come in if Adams does go as expected and Mara loaned out to a league suiting him better. Unless he plays Alcaraz up top? The lack of goal threat from midfield bar Fraser off the bench and Stu is another issue, but that’s partly a tactical issue and slowness in build up.

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

makes sense why we were linked with bringiing in a centre back over the weekend, Creswell from Leeds, although cant for the life of me see why leeds would loan a player to a promotion rival

Unless he's a Trojan horse, and they tell him to play shit for us (with a couple of "unlucky" own goals thrown in).

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Personally I think Ross Stewart is horrendous business. 
Wr paid £8m for someone who had played for six months prior to signing and who has spent the last three out largely too.

It was a massive gamble in a position we've rolled the dice on since we sold Ings. We didn't need to roll the dice again, Piroe was there on a plate for us to get. 

Need to fix that in January. Adams is done here as far as I'm concenered, get Armstrong and a proper CF together in the attack - but we need to play quicker for that to actually make a huge difference.

• Like 2

After watching Mannings inept performance last night coupled with his blunder for their goal I read online that Ian Maatsen of Chelsea could be available for a loan !

I understand that he is highly rated and we have done business with them in the past (ie. Broja) so could be a good option if it's possible....

2 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

Part of me would love this even though I don't think it would be a success. I'm also not sure he'd be able to play the football we currently play. Fuck it though it would be awesome to see him on the pitch and getting a few goals. 

49 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

I think it's happening. Stewart landed awkwardly and he thought it was nothing, he got a precautionary scan, and I think he's off for a couple of months at least. They are looking to loan Ings until the end of the season. It's going to be looked at in January, both sides are keen. At this point, Holgate is going back to Everton, again, reviewed in January

Prefer us to get in a player of the Lallana mould, a number 10. The lack of creativity up top is a big problem for us as we do not carve out many chances. SA is a good runner with a decent shot but isn't very creative, and Alcaraz for me isn't doing too much at the moment, he looked poor when he came on at the end last night again.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, James G said:

They are looking to loan Ings until the end of the season. It's going to be looked at in January

Hi @James G - is that your hunch / gut-feel or are you 'ITK'...?

Cheers 

FWIW, I would welcome Ings back wholeheartedly. He'll score for fun in this league (yes, despite our turgid approach play!)

Edited by trousers

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Hi @James G - is that your hunch / gut-feel or are you 'ITK'...?

Cheers 

FWIW, I would welcome Ings back wholeheartedly. He'll score for fun in this league (yes, despite our turgid approach play!)

Yeah, I spoke to one of them maybe two weeks ago. I'm attending a function, I'm travelling down in the first week of January, then there is another event in Manchester in April, so I'll meet people from various clubs at both events.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James G said:

I think it's happening. Stewart landed awkwardly and he thought it was nothing, he got a precautionary scan, and I think he's off for a couple of months at least. They are looking to loan Ings until the end of the season. It's going to be looked at in January, both sides are keen. At this point, Holgate is going back to Everton, again, reviewed in January

Are we allowed two loans from the same club?

28 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Are we allowed two loans from the same club?

I don't think so, but I didn't ask. I think that might be a Premier League rule. I'm back on 8th January, so I'll try and find out more that week. It was just mentioned. I spoke to them twice about two weeks ago, then the next time will be January 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Prefer us to get in a player of the Lallana mould, a number 10. The lack of creativity up top is a big problem for us as we do not carve out many chances. SA is a good runner with a decent shot but isn't very creative, and Alcaraz for me isn't doing too much at the moment, he looked poor when he came on at the end last night again.

Difficult to look that good in 5 mins!

Moyes has said he may play Bowen as centre-forward for the rest of the season.  Pretty obvious that Ings doesn’t have a future there.

He would be sensational for us, and would be ripping the opposition new arseholes every week as we ascend to the top of the table.

Plus, when Stewart is back, we could have a front 3 of Ings, Stewart and Adam A.  No team in this little league could live with that. EI EI EI O, up the fucking football league we go.

Just have to convince Martin to give up on all that walking football bollocks.  Either that, or get Steve ‘The Male Model’ Cooper straight in as soon as Forest sack him (won’t be long).

• Haha 1