Huddersfield 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Two points from Rotherham and Huddersfield is very disappointing, at least we played well for the vast majority of the Rotherham game - can't say the same today. Awful second half. At least Leeds didn't fare any better against Rotherham, but now we're hoping that West Brom can get something off Ipswich in the evening game.

Highlights as well that we really can't be playing with one of Stu or Alaraz on the pitch minimum. Zero creativity. Martin basically managed that game to death in a fashion worthy of southgate. Took off Sulemana and Stu, then didn't play Alcaraz...  Just simply isn't enough else there, 1-0 is never enough for us to be safe, and we're far better when we just go at teams and keep the ball on the front foot.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 7

Can’t win them all.  Only saw the last 20, we looked poor today.

From what I saw, Manning should be nowhere near the pitch.  Poor player.

I’m not a fan of Bazunu, but I don’t think he’s to blame for the goal.  I was fuming at Edozie though for his half-hearted challenge.  Another player I don’t rate.

Not ideal, but a point away from home.  Win the next two.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Shit result all things considered. Our lack of ability to play consistently for 90 minutes will cost us promotion. I honestly don’t understand why we are so Jekyll and Hyde first and second halves.

It is something RM should be capable of addressing if he has anything about him. The worry is that it is a recurring theme and nothing much seems to change.

• Like 2

A repeated criticism this season for Martin is that he doesn't always need to make 5 subs. Good teams coped perfectly well before lockdown football with three subs for years and the reason why friendlies often descend into drab affairs is due to the amount of changes leaving the 11 on the pitch disjointed. Yes, we were poor before the equaliser, but the triple sub just made us worse. 

On that topic, there are on occasion players who are better at coming off the bench than they are starting. Fraser is one of those and despite his good form in recent weeks he shouldn't have started today.

Really disappointing to drop points considering how easy the first half was for us. Positive is that we're still unbeaten, but feels like we need 6 points from the two home games this week now.

Edozie as usual is a bit of a nothing player…always trying to do too much, not getting his head up and finding a killer pass. Ends up going nowhere and offering little.

We had 77% possession and far too few shots on target. Massive lost opportunity to close the gap on the leaders. These matches will be the difference between us and the top two.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

The substitutions made the difference today I feel... Ross Stewart shouldn't be coming on so late in the game and the other subs felt like subs for subs sake and disrupted our momentum / continuity.

Agree. We should have shown our intent by bringing on Stewart soon after half time and taking the game to them. Instead we meekly gave them the incentive to go on and claim a draw. Two points tossed carelessly away for me.

• Like 3

We've managed to get late winners in other games that have had the same issue. Unrealistic to expect us to be able to do it all the time.

We don;t have enough about us to control a game when we've taken the lead. Teams change their tactics when trying to get back into it. And we struggle to adapt ourselves.

We wait to react. While that sounds like a plan for being able to take advantage, it actually results in us losing momentum, never being sure of when they will attack, and struggling to retain control of the game when they do.

One misplaced Bednarek pass led to a spell of pressure. Sulemana trying to dribble out from the back jept it going. Our passing was out of habit when they didn;t immediately come up to attack. That lowered the tempo, and there press caught us and we lost control of the middle.

We had more chances in the first half. But we have to keep creating them when we have the lead. If we're not, we should be adapting our game to make them. Not sitting back and hoping for something to break our way in the middle of their attacking flurry, but dominating the game.

Baz will no doubt be looked at for doing a little jump, and by the time he dives it's past him. But if the rest of the team had got us an extra goal from all that possession it wouldn;t have mattered.

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

I don't think anyone would claim being disappointed as an overreaction. Go and look at the comments on the club's Facebook page for an ACTUAL overreaction

Over-reaction for any event on social media...? Well, that's a shocker... ;)

That was terrible. We look like a team who believe our own hype, mincing around with keep=ball in our own half but not with enough threat up front. That game should have been over in the first half with all our possession. When are we going to play in the second half?

As Huddersfield commentators said - overplaying...too loose...won't be automatic promotion if they can't beat us was the implication.

Awful.

• Like 1

Edozie and Manning on the left to close out a game doesn't work. Bree and Fraser as a pair are on a completely different level in terms of defensive reliability.

I understand bringing Edozie on. I cannot see why Manning came on, unless Bree got a knock that I didn't spot?

RM clearly feels the need to keep the bench players involved; but it does feel like we loose something at the moment when we swap in Charles & Manning

• Like 2

First half we had them on the ropes, fully deserved. Usually a goal at the death against a team totally deflates them, but in typical fashion it has the opposite effect against us.

I thought we were truly inept second half, the worst we have played all season by a stretch. The subs didn't make us any better either, in fact they made us worse. Manning is a walking disaster as soon as he's on the pitch and Edozie isn't someone you want when you're chasing a game, runs into nowhere. This for me is why you keep someone experienced like Fraser up your sleeve as a sub, makes all the difference. Throwing kids on as subs doesn't really have the desired effect.

I think the team noticeably dipped when Sulemana had his strop as well, he did a brain dead thing and then stropped off down the tunnel when he was rightly substituted. He's part of a team, sometimes you take the hit for the team, it's not an individual game.

A very frustrating afternoon really, sure we didn't lose, but in a season you don't get too many chances to make up the ground as a chasing team - we've just blown one of the few we'll get. Looking every inch a playoff team if I'm honest.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, trousers said:

4 points dropped Vs Rotherham and Huddersfield. Play offs it is then. #notanoverreaction

Huddersfield were terrible so it is a terrible result , especially having been in the lead 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Katalinic said:

Edozie should have been sprinting to shut down that cross but unfortunately he is a fucking defensive liability and barely moved.

He just isn't good enough tbh. Him and Sulemana are luxury players that you bring on when you're cruising. 

It's a really disappointing result and performance. No late winner to paper over the cracks today. A really poor performance, especially in that second half. 

• Like 2

Just now, SaintBobby said:

Woeful 2nd half. Could have lost that.

Odd substitutions too. Why change left backs? Why no Alcaraz?

Still, unbeaten run continues.

We are about evens favourites to win most league games, but obviously we won’t win them all.

To be honest that really wasn't the game for Charly, he wouldn't have made us any better. There was some sense in the Charles sub, but I still do believe we're a play short in CM as I'm not 100% sure Charles is truly ready for this level consistently.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

First half we had them on the ropes, fully deserved. Usually a goal at the death against a team totally deflates them, but in typical fashion it has the opposite effect against us.

I thought we were truly inept second half, the worst we have played all season by a stretch. The subs didn't make us any better either, in fact they made us worse. Manning is a walking disaster as soon as he's on the pitch and Edozie isn't someone you want when you're chasing a game, runs into nowhere. This for me is why you keep someone experienced like Fraser up your sleeve as a sub, makes all the difference. Throwing kids on as subs doesn't really have the desired effect.

I think the team noticeably dipped when Sulemana had his strop as well, he did a brain dead thing and then stropped off down the tunnel when he was rightly substituted. He's part of a team, sometimes you take the hit for the team, it's not an individual game.

A very frustrating afternoon really, sure we didn't lose, but in a season you don't get too many chances to make up the ground as a chasing team - we've just blown one of the few we'll get. Looking every inch a playoff team if I'm honest.

I hope RM picks up Sulemana on stropping off and going straight down the tunnel. It's ok to be annoyed at being taken off but have the decency to sit in the dug-out and offer your support. This attitude stinks and needs nipping in the bud. The only excuse would be an injury but as not mentioned I assume it's not the case. 

8 minutes ago, Edmonton Saint said:

We can’t seem to put teams to the sword . Every game we go into seemingly hoping one goal is enough. We have the attacking players , so it has to be a coaching issue. This possession for possession sake football will be our ultimate undoing this season . 

Baffling, isn't it. Our attacking players should be more than enough to get over 2 goals against the likes of Huddersfield, Rotherham, Stoke.

Absolute shite! 
Unless you love watching possessional football that is 

So predictable - so bloody unenjoyable/negative to watch/follow

You could close your eyes & know what we are doing 

Think I’m now done with this dire every week - given Martin enough time - but it’s the same old shit

Need a decent coach who knows what to do in the final 3rd - how to be positive - move the ball forward/fast 

I’d rather watch entertaining/positive attacking football & stay in this division - than get promoted with squeezing out last minute goals & scraping by 

Nothings changed under Martin - he’s done absolutely nothing in reality 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Just now, JohnS said:

Absolute shite! 
Unless you love watching possessional football that is 

So predictable - so bloody unenjoyable/negative to watch/follow

You could close your eyes & know what we are doing 

Think I’m now done with this dire every week - given Martin enough time - but it’s the same old shit

Need a decent coach who knows what to do in the final 3rd - how to be positive - move the ball forward/fast 

I’d rather watch entertaining/positive attacking football & stay in this division - than get promoted with squeezing out last minute goals & scraping by 

Nothings changed under Martin - he’s done absolutely nothing in reality 

No one has really over reacted yet, but you win I think.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

is anyone other than armstrong allowed to score regulary ?

Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 18.08.19.png

Couple of things jump out from that - Adams is amazingly our second most productive player despite downing tools, Sulimana not even on the list….

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Huddersfield 1-1 Saints - Saturday 25th 3pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Huddersfield 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic