Stu Armstrong

maysie

6 hours ago, Minsk said:

Stu is certainly one of our better players, but the fact we haven't won a match he has been involved in for so long is more down to coincidence than his performances. Especially so this season. He has done absolutely nothing of note in any match this season. That is precisely why you are unwilling, sorry make that unable, to go in to any specifics.

So you don't think it's relevant that he has been involved in few games this season but played in all 3 of our victories and, aside from that, we haven't won for over two years when he wasn't playing. That is some massive coincidence if that's how you want to view it.

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

So you don't think it's relevant that he has been involved in few games this season but played in all 3 of our victories and, aside from that, we haven't won for over two years when he wasn't playing. That is some massive coincidence if that's how you want to view it.

He's also played in both of our 9-0 defeats, but they weren't lot to do with him, like the three wins this season weren't. Before his suspension, which saw him miss the Leeds win, you could have reeled off the exact same stat for JWP too in that we hadn't won for over two years when he wasn't playing. It's more so that both are/were now in Armstrong's case very reliable and injury free for the previous two years, which saw some victories and a lot of losses too.

I'm a big Armstrong fan, but I won't deny that I've been disappointed by his showings this season, which is a shame. Whether it's injury, or something else, nobody actually knows, we just hope he can return to previous form where he did make a difference and cause problems in games. But, this season he hasn't got going yet.

The Zaha/Palace and Grealish/Villa stats were relevant at the time because they could carry their respective teams. I don't think Armstrong's that much of a game changer for us. He's solid and dependable.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

He's also played in both of our 9-0 defeats, but they weren't lot to do with him, like the three wins this season weren't. Before his suspension, which saw him miss the Leeds win, you could have reeled off the exact same stat for JWP too in that we hadn't won for over two years when he wasn't playing. It's more so that both are/were now in Armstrong's case very reliable and injury free for the previous two years, which saw some victories and a lot of losses too.

I'm a big Armstrong fan, but I won't deny that I've been disappointed by his showings this season, which is a shame. Whether it's injury, or something else, nobody actually knows, we just hope he can return to previous form where he did make a difference and cause problems in games. But, this season he hasn't got going yet.

The Zaha/Palace and Grealish/Villa stats were relevant at the time because they could carry their respective teams. I don't think Armstrong's that much of a game changer for us. He's solid and dependable.

I'd say he's the best 10 we have.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Excellent post

19 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Then tell me why we won those because of his contributions. You can't, because he contributed feck all of note. In fact, I would go so far as to say, the team's performance dipped after he was introduced in the matches he came off the bench.

3 hours ago, Minsk said:

He was last season. Sadly he hasn't got going yet in this one. I would say Redders has been our best 10 this season.

Overall, given both are fit and in form, Stuart is better than Nathan. I do like Nathan though, one of the bravest players we have as he does try to make things happen. 

10 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Overall, given both are fit and in form, Stuart is better than Nathan. I do like Nathan though, one of the bravest players we have as he does try to make things happen. 

I'd play all 3 - stick Tella up front. He's looked far more dangerous up there than Armstrong has done recently.

On 24/12/2021 at 20:02, Minsk said:

He was last season. Sadly he hasn't got going yet in this one. I would say Redders has been our best 10 this season.

Again being the best of a bad bunch isn't too much of an endorsement for this season - we are currently scoring under 1 goal a game as a team and Tino and Jan have scored more goals than him.

Not to get at redmond but our inside forwards goal returns for the games we have played are dreadful - 1 goal (Mo) from 17 games is horrendous for the positions and minutes that they have played.

4 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Again being the best of a bad bunch isn't too much of an endorsement for this season - we are currently scoring under 1 goal a game as a team and Tino and Jan have scored more goals than him.

Not to get at redmond but our inside forwards goal returns for the games we have played are dreadful - 1 goal (Mo) from 17 games is horrendous for the positions and minutes that they have played.

I get the impression Armstrong is the only #10 we have who actively wants to try and score.  Our other #10s are all a bit too unselfish/safe with the ball.

54 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I get the impression Armstrong is the only #10 we have who actively wants to try and score.  Our other #10s are all a bit too unselfish/safe with the ball.

I think he is the only one as well who is "used" to scoring, he was getting a lot with celtic and gets a decent amount with us

10 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Yep. He was absolutely instrumental in that win today!

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Made the difference today

He really put off the opposition in our prime conceding minutes with his hairdo and scottish accent. Class game management from the gaffer.

29 minutes ago, TWar said:

He really put off the opposition in our prime conceding minutes with his hairdo and scottish accent. Class game management from the gaffer.

And not forgetting the way he majestically gave the ball away with his first touch, just as we were breaking away after being under pressure.

49 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Based on today's lazy performance? He did BA of any use.

Huh? He got through loads of work off the ball and is currently the best of our players in that position with and without the ball considering Stuart Armstrong rarely plays.

• 1 month later...

🎶ohh ohhhhh Ralphy saidddddd🎶we’re guna play in right middd🎶

ohhhhhhhh his hair is fineeee 🎶

he’s scores belters all the time 🎶

no words can describe 🎶

wen i see him in the red n white 🎶

that’s why we sing this song 🎶 

for Stuart Armstrong 🎶

derrrrrrr derr dadeeee dadaaaah der der derrrrrrr!!!! 

5 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

no words can describe 🎶

for Stuart Armstrong 🎶

Cringe 😘

10 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

no words can describe 🎶

for Stuart Armstrong 🎶

It's a great song, sadly it's too hard for our fans to remember and wouldn't sound the same sung at 1000000000mph with clapping like demented seals all the way through

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It's a great song, sadly it's too hard for our fans to remember and wouldn't sound the same sung at 1000000000mph with clapping like demented seals all the way through

Sadly accurate. Would be class to get it going but can’t see it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Plus no mention of the fact he hates Pompey.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/03/2022 at 21:03, Turkish said:

It’s only taken 4 years 🤦‍♂️

As a side note good to see so many young lads doing away games enjoying themselves, obviously old bastards like us would have tutted at them getting in the way of the queue for a half time pasty and bovril but good to see nethertheless 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

As a side note good to see so many young lads doing away games enjoying themselves, obviously old bastards like us would have tutted at them getting in the way of the queue for a half time pasty and bovril but good to see nethertheless 

Always good to see group of young normal looking people at football enjoying themselves. With all the marketing, virtue signalling and promotion of every minority group imaginable its being forgotten that football was built on a the support from workclass men. I'd happily share my pasty with any of them. 

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Honestly what’s going on with him? Under Ralph and so far Jones hasn’t been given starts. Was one of our best players for a couple of years and if in the right form could be a difference in us staying up.

There was reports the previous summer of wanting to go back to Scotland, but now he’s seemingly either unsettled or unfit?

12 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Stuart Armstrong has to start every game he's one of our best players! 

It is a sad indictment of our new ‘Manager’ that he can’t see Stuart is our best player and he leaves him out EVEN after coming on against Lincoln and making us look half reasonable for a while.
Jones is missing so many things and hasn’t carried out any due diligence on the team at all.

it’s bloody scandalous. As so many people have said, what exactly did he do for the six weeks??? Even prior to the six weeks it was obvious he knew he was coming here but did no preparation at all…. 
Quite unbelievable …. 

Edited by captainchris

3 hours ago, captainchris said:

It is a sad indictment of our new ‘Manager’ that he can’t see Stuart is our best player and he leaves him out EVEN after coming on against Lincoln and making us look half reasonable for a while.
Jones is missing so many things and hasn’t carried out any due diligence on the team at all.

it’s bloody scandalous. As so many people have said, what exactly did he do for the six weeks??? Even prior to the six weeks it was obvious he knew he was coming here but did no preparation at all…. 
Quite unbelievable …. 

He’s clearly a third rate manager. Waving his arms around, shouting and hollering from the touchline is all you need. None of this in-depth nonsense. Just get stuck into em lads. He’s an embarrassment already and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sturrock effect is already on the training pitch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, captainchris said:

Quite unbelievable …. 

I understood he'd only just started training so wasn't fit to start.

5 minutes ago, CampionSaint said:

I understood he'd only just started training so wasn't fit to start.

Yeah Jones said he missed training the day before the game.

He also hasn't been great for a while tbh. Certainly doesn't get enough goals or assists just like all the other non event attacking midfielders we have.

(Would still pick him for the majority of games myself ahead of the current options).

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

Yeah Jones said he missed training the day before the game.

He also hasn't been great for a while tbh. Certainly doesn't get enough goals or assists just like all the other non event attacking midfielders we have.

(Would still pick him for the majority of games myself ahead of the current options).

Well currently he looks as though he and Adams are the two that might scrape into another team in the PL.

Not that with some modicum of coaching some others wouldn’t improve of course.

’Coaching’ now there’s a thought….. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Stu Armstrong