Stu Armstrong

maysie

10 hours ago, West end Saints said:

August 2018 premier league debut, since then 10 assists. We need much better to survive 

Stats like that are bollox when there's nobody capable of putting the ball away. What's the stat for chances he's put on a plate for people to miss? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

This is the embodiment of the long-lasting Saints tradition of pining for players who aren't playing, then when they start playing again it transpires that they aren't the messiah.

He's a decent player, that is all.

He was our best goal threat in midfield by a long way before he got Covid. Hasn't been the same since.

Edited by southamptonfc
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

But come on, that was well over two years ago. We looked a much better team all around then, as well.

His movement, assists and goals was one of the main reasons why we were better in a team which otherwise had very few goals from midfield. Being forced to replace him by Djenpo or Walcott clearly hurt the team and the number of goals we scored.

Edited by southamptonfc
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, southamptonfc said:

His movement, assists and goals was one of the main reasons why we were better in a team which otherwise had very few goals from midfield. Being forced to replace him by Djenpo or Walcott clearly hurt the team and the number of goals we scored.

I think there was a period where we only won if SA was playing.

• Like 4

I don’t think he’s particularly special, but he’s the only member of the entire squad with any creativity and an attacking football brain, other than possibly KWP and Tino. The rest have nothing between them aside Edozie dribbling with little effect so far, and JWP on direct free kicks. 
I honestly can’t think of any other scenarios where we create anything for ourselves. We get the odd chance through pressing and opposition mistakes (Palace case in point); we used to offer bits out wide and KWP still does very occasionally.

I don’t think Stuart is our saviour and in the same league as de Bruyne … but at least he does something, or at least tries.

Maybe he is managing pain, but if he can barely manage 10 minutes (forest) his injury needs sorting properly. It’s pointless otherwise

• Like 3

We've not been blessed with superstars in this team for many years, so anyone half decent is likely to be somewhat pined for when they're not playing.

Armstrong is half-decent, no more than that. His lung busting runs and threat from deep were fun to watch, but it didn't really happen enough if we're totally honest. He wasn't particularly consistent and his injury record has been very poor.

He's still one of our better players for sure, but that's more of a damming indictment of the rest of our players in that attacking third rather than Armstrong being a world beater.

Edited by S-Clarke

8 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

This is the embodiment of the long-lasting Saints tradition of pining for players who aren't playing, then when they start playing again it transpires that they aren't the messiah.

He's a decent player, that is all.

I think the fact hes better than Ely but gets overlooked is a big mistake. IMO

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

MadNate said in his pre-match conf for City that Stuart won't be coming on at all until his condition/injury is remedied. Said the club was wrong to have taken advantage of him.

To be fair that’s the right answer, never like the idea of players using painkillers to get through games, invariably it makes the injury worse.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

MadNate said in his pre-match conf for City that Stuart won't be coming on at all until his condition/injury is remedied. Said the club was wrong to have taken advantage of him.

That's as it should be.

And fuck me.

Is he starting to make comments that are correct and us fans agree with?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 09/01/2023 at 12:47, Chewy said:

I don’t think he’s particularly special, but he’s the only member of the entire squad with any creativity and an attacking football brain, other than possibly KWP and Tino. The rest have nothing between them aside Edozie dribbling with little effect so far, and JWP on direct free kicks. 
I honestly can’t think of any other scenarios where we create anything for ourselves. We get the odd chance through pressing and opposition mistakes (Palace case in point); we used to offer bits out wide and KWP still does very occasionally.

I don’t think Stuart is our saviour and in the same league as de Bruyne … but at least he does something, or at least tries.

Maybe he is managing pain, but if he can barely manage 10 minutes (forest) his injury needs sorting properly. It’s pointless otherwise

Totally agree. Stuart is bang average but when he comes on, hope levels go up. That says so much about the rest of the team but sounds like he needs to be rested and now it's time for others to take up the mantle and be more direct. Maybe Alcatraz will help us do the The Great Escape!

• 9 months later...
On 10/01/2023 at 21:05, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Totally agree. Stuart is bang average but when he comes on, hope levels go up. That says so much about the rest of the team but sounds like he needs to be rested and now it's time for others to take up the mantle and be more direct. Maybe Alcatraz will help us do the The Great Escape!

I saw what you did there and I'm not pleased

17 hours ago, trousers said:

Russell Martin has lifted the lid a little on why Stuart Armstrong's performance levels tailed off the last couple of seasons. Good to hear he's back in a good place mentally & physically...

(From 20m 45s)

He actually doesn’t really lift the lid and was very vague as to what’s been going on. But yes glad to hear he’s ok now. 

STU GOOD POINTS : Great character. Great experience.  Stu is one of the few players confident enough to exhort/ encourage the Northam support when it comes to corners at that end. He is not afraid to have a shot. He scored a great direct kick I did not know was in him. He’s not afraid to take the ball in mf and drive forwards centrally. International player and proud of it. Strong on the ball - running in that danger area is his calling card. Shots from distance also. Deceptive pace and strength on the ball.  Takes corners and free kicks now instead of JWP. 
STU LESS GOOD POINTS : Does not score enough. Final pass / lucidity of mind after his extended mf runs into central position to give it to the goal shooter (😁). Shooting probably too many over the bar not testing keeper, running back and being effective defensively he finds less fun - he’s not the worst cough cough Charlie - and given he’s a AMF his job is to be ahead of flynnn and Will so it’s harder for him to get back-  all the same needs to kick them oppo players a bit more show more fighting. Corners are a little inconsistent - maybe having a 6ft 2” cf to aim at will help! 

Overall : a very firm fan favourite always gives his best. But he’s no Jude Bellingham obvs. 

• 2 weeks later...

...have just read comment from Stuart Armstrong about possible contract extension after summer.

He has the sort of experience we need right now to be amongst the younger players who are still finding their feet 

in senior football, and if he's fortunate enough to stay injury free ?  - he can be a great asset in getting us back to the Prem. 

No-one expects to see him playing 90 minute games every week, but he could still DAJFU for a few more years.

Looking back some years Stephen Davis could still command a place in the Prem. squad at age 34 before he 

returned to Scotland ..and then got another 4-5 seasons in the SPL.

All things considered it could be a win-win situation if Stuart  signs on for a few more seasons. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Stu Armstrong
  • 2 weeks later...

Love Stu❤️.

Stu will be 32 in March. out of contract in the summer. And Was on £70k pw. 

My personal view I don’t think he would play as much or enjoy it as much next season at Saints in the EPL (if we make it- nor staying here if we don’t)

Given his contract situation this current  season will probably be his last for Saints.  And we should appreciate him accordingly. He will reach 200 appearances shortly also. 

The ideal for him might be if he goes to Celtic to pick up a championship winners trophy but had not cost them anything so they can give him two years on a decent wage.Maybe even a join up bonus. 

That might also enable perhaps some young talent incoming from them to us also. 😁😎