Watford 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

goodymatt

On 21/01/2024 at 18:54, Dark Munster said:

It's worth repeating that it's not about resting them, it's about avoiding risking injuries to key players.

They could just as easily get injured in training? I wouldn’t play our best side as it’s good to give others minutes but we should be putting out a strong 11 winning breads more winning! The longer the run goes on the better!

16 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

A bit uncanny that the 40th anniversary of a particular 4th round victory falls on exactly the same date as this year's 4th round for us.

Shall I....?

Shall I....?

....oh, go on then

Now that’s what you call limbs!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Wonder why Russ isn’t taking the presser?

Isn't this the sort of thing Poch used to do, give his assistants a go, another why of highlighting lack of priority of this game 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Wonder why Russ isn’t taking the presser?

Probably an attempt at sending a psychological message to our Championship rivals that we're going balls out for auto-promotion and that the FA Cup is therefore a side show. Either that or Russ has a dental appointment he can't get out of :)

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

A bit uncanny that the 40th anniversary of a particular 4th round victory falls on exactly the same date as this year's 4th round for us.

Shall I....?

Shall I....?

....oh, go on then

Stevie Moran showing Alan Biley how it's done, the pitch looked like a wet sponge that afternoon.

I think we'll nick this one 2-1 Saints.

15 minutes ago, Cabrone said:

Stevie Moran showing Alan Biley how it's done, the pitch looked like a wet sponge that afternoon.

I think we'll nick this one 2-1 Saints.

As we’re edging towards 90mins this weekend, I can see no harm in a little nostalgia in recognition of 40 years…

”Steve Moran, Steve Moran,

Stevie, Steve Moran,

When he hits the ball, he’s bound to score,

Stevie, Steve Moran”

• Like 2

Think there’s a chance Emanuel Denis will get a start for Watford. * link below. Was recalled by forest ( he was in turkey) and been sent to Watford on Loan today. He was a pretty tasty left winger/forward in conjunction with ismail sarr 2 years ago. Think KWPmight enjoy that challenge / or JS at RB less so.😄

*https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/emmanuel-dennis-the-menacing-hornet/

Edited by gio1saints

Didn’t realise there were so many all-prem ties til just now. Not the priority but a decent chance of a run. 

Worst case is 10 Prem sides left in. Arsenal already out and either City/Spurs and Chelsea/Villa 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Think there’s a chance Emanuel Denis will get a start for Watford. * link below. Was recalled by forest ( he was in turkey) and been sent to Watford on Loan today. He was a pretty tasty left winger/forward in conjunction with ismail sarr 2 years ago. Think KWPmight enjoy that challenge / or JS at RB less so.😄

*https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/emmanuel-dennis-the-menacing-hornet/

He's very likely to start according to the Watford fan I work with. 

One of those players who can tear a team apart if he's interested on the day which I expect he will be.

5 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

Draw at 2:10pm on Sunday apparently (i.e. 10 mins into the game). We’re ball number 1.

Before the Liverpool televised game I think, load of nonsense. TV dictates football to much these days.

I remember our run back in 2003 - the draw for each round was made on a Monday lunchtime, they used to allow us to stick the TV on in the college library to watch it.  Those were the simpler days.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 hour ago, SaintNewForest said:

Proper disregard for those currently playing or still to play. But TV takes priority.

They devalue their own competition so often, crazy. 

Edited by JRM
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JRM said:

They devalue their own competition so often, crazy. 

Fucking ridiculous how it compromises the integrity of matches being played after the draw.

You can only speculate on how it affects the approach both on and off the pitch. Easy tie at home/attractive home tie - go for it, worth making it to the next round.

Imagine the thinking from squad and fans: Newcastle (too far)/City/Arsenal away (well, we’ve no chance there). Nah, bollocks why bother. 

Isn’t 5th round midweek? 

On 22/01/2024 at 11:27, Nolan said:

I'm torn on this one.

Watford are obviously a step above Walsall, so too many changes and we risk the unbeaten streak in all competitions, but we also have to give the fringe players minutes.

I'd give it a halfway house. 6 Changes. with the ability to bring on regulars at halftime / 60minutes

Lumley

KWP Bednarek Stephens Manning

Charles      Rothwell      Smallbone

SAA      Mara     Fraser 

Bednarek and Stephens together in a CB pairing will lose the game.

58 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

Am I right in thinking this isn't on any TV channel --- and because it's Cup not league, the club can't offer live coverage for a tenner? So it's dodgy stream, if available, or nothing?  

That's the impression I'm getting

5 hours ago, Ken Tone said:

Am I right in thinking this isn't on any TV channel --- and because it's Cup not league, the club can't offer live coverage for a tenner? So it's dodgy stream, if available, or nothing?  

I thought it was moved for international TV so there will be streams.

2 hours ago, waylander said:

It is on SaintsPlay so someone somewhere will be streaming it

Where?  I’ve looked and cannot see it.  I’ve obviously missed it but cannot see where.

Edited by Tommy Mulgrew
Thnx for your reply, Waylander; I’ll look again on Sunday.

1 hour ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Where?  I’ve looked and cannot see it.  I’ve obviously missed it but cannot see where.

I had an email from the club saying it would be available

"This game is available to follow live on our streaming platform Saints Play, so you can enjoy all the action from wherever you are in the world"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Pretty sure it's all competitions

Is there a professional sports team currently with a longer unbeaten run? I'm in a bar where they flashed up Edmonton Oilers 16 game win streak, I gave it the obligatory yawn, but hence the

13 hours ago, waylander said:

"This game is available to follow live on our streaming platform Saints Play, so you can enjoy all the action from wherever you are in the world"

Only if you live outside of UK can you watch on saints play😠

Edited by gandalf
Mistake

8 hours ago, HnycS said:

Is there a professional sports team currently with a longer unbeaten run? I'm in a bar where they flashed up Edmonton Oilers 16 game win streak, I gave it the obligatory yawn, but hence the

I’m pretty sure Bayer Leverkusen are unbeaten all season, including in the Europa league. Must be getting on for 30 games. 

14 hours ago, waylander said:

It's audio only, no video because it crosses the 3pm threshold black-out.

1 hour ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

I’m pretty sure Bayer Leverkusen are unbeaten all season, including in the Europa league. Must be getting on for 30 games. 

26 at the moment (they lost their last games last season, so only this season counts) 18 league, 6 Europa, 2 Cup)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waylander said:

Then why would the club, knowing my address, send me this?

Good question as I received it too. I checked and only audio pass is available. I think there is an explanation in t&C's.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Watford 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic