Saints 1-2 Hull - Match Thread

trousers

Rothwell Smallbone Stu terrible dynamic in midfield. Pedestrian, Rothwell turns like a fucking container ship. 
As for Manning, every time he cuts back they’re all over our CBs denying a pass out. Manning too thick to work it out. Useless. 

Martin has had an absolute shocker tonight. Really poor selection. We all knew that midfield would get overrun.

The Mara experiment should end there. Couldn't trap a bag of cement in that first half.

Don't get me started of Adam Armstrong, Joe Rothwell and Ryan Manning..

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Too many players not being "brave" and passing it back to gav all the time, bascially its ping pong and doesnt get to the forwards at all.

It does, problem is it is the Hull forwards.

• Haha 2

WTF was that? Our system has been totally found out...it's suicidal 'we've only got one way of playing out of the back even if there's no pass on because of the high press'...added to weaker players (please get Manning away from our team...Rothwell having a nightmare too...Smallbone is crap, sorry I said it but he is just so not the creative midfield maestro we need, nor is he a tackler)...add to that no energy or imagination and we're cooked.

We have learnt absolutely nothing from Huddersfield and Bristol. 

I really fear for us now. Now prove me wrong and come back and score 5...

• Like 1

Looks like the lads have concrete in their boots. Being turned inside out defensively and offering little going forward.

I'm afraid to say it reminds me heavily of our peformance against Sunderland earlier this season.

Really didn't expect this!

Oooft.

That was a tough watch. We've talked about the strength and depth of our bench. Unfortunately we have decided to start with our weak links in the first eleven. Others aren;t capable of putting a stamp on the game, partly as a result of that.

Downes is the biggest miss. Rothwell isn;t cpable at present of fulfilling that role. We had no control over the midfield and he was constantly giving it away when we had it. Poor decision making on a standard press gifted them their second.

Smallbone looks caught out both defensively and going forward. He makes himself availalbe form the back two. But isn;t a DM. So not much control. Not many passing options around him, so unable to make an impact there either.

Edozie used to just run at defences due to poor decision making. Tonight, he's had very few options around him to help him out.

Manning has offered nothing in support, either wehn trying to push up and offered little defensive cover when Hull have pushed forward.

Mara needs support to thrive. He's not ahd any and has been peripheral.

Half a team of players not anywhere near the required level tonight.

Stu, with a couple of late moments, and AA, who has been very quiet, not able to carry them.

Across the team, we've managed little control, haven;t made much of our possession and have given no real moments of our trademark passing moves. 

Looking forward to a much better second half from us.

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

As others have said, I don't like the midfield, it's an accident waiting to happen. Teachers' pet and hopeless defender Manning shoe horned (ironically) in place of Stephens, and also no Shea. I have a horrible feeling the first half it'll be like Huddersfield, and by the time RM fixes it with subs it may too late this time.

Who would’ve f**king predicted it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Ditto chez. As far as i can tell he did absolutely nothing before they eventually scored No.2. Really worrying. Maybe he thought we could hold on till half time and he could give them a proper reset, but i was also thinking we absolutely had to drag off manning for stelphens and rothwell/smallbone for Charles at 30min... was so obvious.

The second was coming. We were getting murdered and he did fuck all. It was calling out for a shuffle of some sort. Maybe he doesn't have a plan b?

Not really his style to make early changes to be fair. Slow and steady. 

Just now, sfc4prem said:

Looks like the lads have concrete in their boots. Being turned inside out defensively and offering little going forward.

I'm afraid to say it reminds me heavily of our peformance against Sunderland earlier this season.

Really didn't expect this!

I expect this every game. So most of the season has been a happy bonus. 60 years of watching this lot has prepared me for this sort of shit. 

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

Martin has had an absolute shocker tonight. Really poor selection. We all knew that midfield would get overrun.

The Mara experiment should end there. Couldn't trap a bag of cement in that first half.

Mara was dire against WBA.

He showed poor control and poor passing ability

He is not Champioship material. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

The second was coming. We were getting murdered and he did fuck all. It was calling out for a shuffle of some sort. Maybe he doesn't have a plan b?

Not really his style to make early changes to be fair. Slow and steady. 

Martin has repeatedly said he does not believe in a plan b. Just a better plan a.

Which should lead to 5 half time subs, and everyone with a kick up the rear, after that 45. 🙂

1 minute ago, Dark Munster said:

Who would’ve f**king predicted it?

Could have been more than 2.

We have started the game with several of our better players on the bench and zero control in midfield.

You can’t play that midfield and manning. 

The wheels are in danger of coming off if we are not careful - need to get fraser, aribo, brookes and adams on 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

I’ve got a ton of time for Martin but this was an arrogant, “I know better” starting line up. Two players in key positions who should never be in it, and both of them have been torched.

The lineup was flawed. Manning, Rothwell give the ball away or just get caught,  Edozie and Mara consequently not doing enough and  shouldn't have started. Smallbone no aggression, Mara doing nothing as a starter, Both Armstrongs periphery figures. Stephens, Frazer. Adams and Aribo to replace the four that shouldn't have started. We aren't agressive enough and playing far too slow. 

• Like 1

Just now, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Martin has repeatedly said he does not believe in a plan b. Just a better plan a.

Which should lead to 5 half time subs, and everyone with a kick up the rear, after that 45. 🙂

What if that was the better plan A 

Just now, obelisk said:

Hot and cold. Not good enough in this league this season. I suppose there's a chance we might fluke the play-offs and get up that way but my money's on another Championship season next year.

You never know

1 minute ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Surely there isn't a manager with big enough balls to make 5 subs at half time? 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Hull - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic