Saints 3-0 PNE - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

9 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Good news guys, there's a pre-match light and pyro show before kick off 

£87m loss on the balance sheet but you've still got to live a little.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Anyone knows what determines whether midweek home games are played on Tuesday or Wednesday? I thought they were mostly Tuesday now and given neither team played on Sunday before surprised it is Wed not Tuesday 

Think it's completely random, usually from the 12 games there are 6 on Tuesday, 6 on Wednesday (although Sky moved one of the Wednesday ones to the Tuesday for TV)

9 hours ago, saintant said:

If KWP is not fit play Bree and Stephens as the two full backs and restore the successful partnership of Bednarek and THB.

Bree at RB for me. Hes got a bit more pace than Stephens and it'll be needed against Liam Millar who is very direct and tricky.

Bazunu

Bree        THB        Bednarek      KWP

Downes    Smallbone

Brooks       Aribo           AA

Adams              

Edited by woodsaint1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Directed by Sir Ridley Scott. Supposedly the accent was West Country and if you listen to it again you can hear the difference. Surprising the suggestiveness of the imagery.

https://steepholm.livejournal.com/542986.html?

Obviously wasn’t Mike Yarwood doing the accent.  Sounded like one of those really boring northern cunts.

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Pretty tame by your standards. 

Especially as there is mention of Yorkshire.

Haven’t been feeling too good for a few weeks.  Think it’s reflecting in my posts.  Don’t worry though, won’t be forever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

No need for him to tinker with the front 3 that's for sure. 

Yes, Adams and AA worked well together - plenty of evidence that neither on their own up front is effective.   Like to see the THB/Bednarek combination restored and if KWP can’t play, Bree at RB and JS at LB.

• Like 5

After watching the analysis of the city v united game, I dread what russ-ball will try with Jack Stephen’s.

maybe we could make him and inverted CB come winger….

we will need to score at least twice to get  anything from this….

12 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Obviously wasn’t Mike Yarwood doing the accent.  Sounded like one of those really boring northern cunts.

If we were playing Swindon, would they be "Wiltshire cunts" ?

Just now, badgerx16 said:

If we were playing Swindon, would they be "Wiltshire cunts" ?

Not-quite-West-Country Wankers. Magic Roundabout? They'll be going round in fucking circles once we've shoved it right up 'em. 4-0.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Not-quite-West-Country Wankers. Magic Roundabout? They'll be going round in fucking circles once we've shoved it right up 'em. 4-0.

Wiltshire is full of Druids so surely they'd be Druid Cunts ;)

As for the game it's hard to predict the outcome i think, we probably should've lost to Preston at theirs and their form has been really good the last few games, we have also dropped off a bit and are at the stage where people can figure us out (play wingers and press the backline) which has meant we've reverted to the same style that meant we were losing a lot at the start of the season. Saying that though we've got Downes back who's probably the most important player for the team, Brooks looks good, and hopefully KWP will be fit.

If i had to stick my neck out i'd say I think we'll probably get a draw in this but honestly wouldn't be surprised if we lost it too (now watch us go out and smash Preston completely out of a nowhere)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

Do you think there is a correlation with performance? 

It's turning the lights on and off for a few minutes to amuse the kids. Why does it bother people so much?

Of course not, I’m sure Bednarek doesn’t feel any extra pressure to deliver a performance because of a light show, or Downes eyesight was affected by the lights. Just seems to me we generally play shite after one.

Also, it’s Preston at home FFS. Save it for a game if importance if you have to do it, or for our title celebrations..🙃

Pre PNE presser

• The Leicester game being delayed will mean Ryan will 1 game less
  • Hope he will be back for the boro game
  • Kyle back on the grass, PNE probably too early, hopeful for the weekend
  • Been a nice feel in training for a while
  • The players are really focused but have a lot of fun
  • The subs had an impact again and will be really important going forward
  • Rather we win 2-0 but it was fun
  • Watching the performance back, the players did amazing things
  • We must cut out the goals, letting in 3 is just not good enough
  • The amount of chances we had away from home is great, I have real pride in that
  • But we must cut out the other stuff
  • It is about getting players on the pitch who deserve to be there
  • Jack deserves to be on the pitch, and we try to keep him on
  • THB was really comfortable where he is playing, and it is not the reason why we conceded 3 goals
  • Jack was doing things with the ball that was amazing, and if in the premier league would be highlighted
  • There may be games where they may not play, but do not get fixated on formation
  • They are only starting positions and not fixed positions, just depends on the game and the flow
  • It may look different against PNE, and other roles may change, depending on what we feel is the solution
  • What Jack had done just shows the level of football intelligence he has
  • It is up to us to find the solution to get the best team on the pitch
  • I was mad to take Jack out after WBA, I simply over thought it, and he has been brilliant since
  • He was such a leader, he really led the lads at HT on Sat. He is an incredible captain
  • Those who played against Liverpool should have had a goal each at Anfield
  • They look at the starters at the weekend and see them all score, that is what they have to do
  • We are averaging 2 points per game, but it not enough
  • We have 11 games left and we need everyone to play a part
  • We are playing PNE at a really difficult time as they are in a great place at the moment
  • They are really physical, athletic and strong
  • We must continue to start the game well, take risks, run hard, and we have to bring it again
  • Obviously, we have to defend so much better than we have been
  • Have to make sure the game is our terms
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

RM has a hard on for Jack Stephens doesn’t he.

2-1 win if we’re fortunate. Preston will be no pushovers.

Don't get me wrong, I actually thought he had a good game Saturday, especially with the ball.

But I'm not sure he deserves to be playing like Martin says. Unless it's at full back instead of Manning that is...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

Don't get me wrong, I actually thought he had a good game Saturday, especially with the ball.

But I'm not sure he deserves to be playing like Martin says. Unless it's at full back instead of Manning that is...

Agreed. Got to feel for Meghoma up to a point. Hasn’t looked out of place in any games he’s played, ultimately if this was two months earlier rather than the final push for promotion I’m sure he’d be getting more game time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

I know it’s not PNE, but I’ve just noticed our away game at Leicester has been postponed on the 16th March with no new date. 

When did that happen?. I guess for TV or the magical mystery of the EFL / FA. 

Moved to accommodate their FA Cup QF v Chelsea

3 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

I personally think it’s mad to break up the THB/Bednarek pairing that was playing so well before   

25 unbeaten when stephens was injured. Not saying he’s the reason we are losing, but we looked very solid and now Martin has messed with it all. 

if stephens has to play, I’d put him at LB again so we don’t have to watch manning stink the place out. Especially against a physical Preston side. 

• Like 3

Its probably over for automatic now.

A must win now or its definitely over

RM dont fuck about with things, play our best available players in their best position, that doesn't include Manning 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

I personally think it’s mad to break up the THB/Bednarek pairing that was playing so well before   

25 unbeaten when stephens was injured. Not saying he’s the reason we are losing, but we looked very solid and now Martin has messed with it all. 

if stephens has to play, I’d put him at LB again so we don’t have to watch manning stink the place out. Especially against a physical Preston side. 

Our run of inconsistent defending started when Stephen’s started being in contention. Absolutely no rationale for breaking up a decent partnership 

I think maybe top two has gone now , so maybe that is a bit of pressure off. What would be good now is to relax, play with freedom and expression, and consolidate the play-off place but hone our game so we smash it in those play-offs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

RM has a hard on for Jack Stephens doesn’t he.

Oh he really does. If we dont go up and THB goes back to City you can hear RM state that Stephens is just as good and we wont have a drop in quality at the back !

Oh yes we bloody will ! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Oh he really does. If we dont go up and THB goes back to City you can hear RM state that Stephens is just as good and we wont have a drop in quality at the back !

Oh yes we bloody will ! 

Thats is one area that worries me if don’t go up because both THB and Bednarek will go.  Wide we have cover and can’t see AdamA going . Full backs don’t cost a lot really . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Oh yes we bloody will ! 

Way to make shit up. 👍

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Way to make shit up. 👍

Why is it shit?

Stephens is not a good as THB, that is a fact

Even cheerleaders like you and Gio cant deny that surely.

Edited by tdmickey3

Well at least they know that they have to win pretty much every game now. No messing around with formations etc - just play the best 11 and let's see how far we get.

PNE are decent but I think we will win.

Edited by Cabrone
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, madge said:

Our run of inconsistent defending started when Stephen’s started being in contention. Absolutely no rationale for breaking up a decent partnership 

No it didn't. He had been back 'in contention' and in the team for 7 matches where we conceded a total of 3 goals and was on the bench (unused sub) for Rotherham, Huddersfield and Brizzle, which is when it went wrong, so there is a better argument that it went wrong when he was benched (I don'subscribe to that view but it is more logical than what you wrote).

13 hours ago, madge said:

3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Oh yes we bloody will ! 

If we don't go up there's a better than even's chance that Martin will get the boot and for sure any new manager coming in won't be so easily fooled by Stevens.

• Like 2

Shoving THB to full back is absolutely criminal.

It’s just Martin trying to be too clever tbh. Anyone with eyes can see that our best centre back by a country mile is TBH. Anyone with a brain knows you should put your best players in their best positions  

Same with not playing Charles as a DM when Downes was out. Cost us points because he’s trying to reinvent the wheel. 

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints vs PNE - Wednesday 1945 - Fire near St Mary’s - Match in doubt
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-0 PNE - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic