Saints 0-1 Stoke - Match Thread

Lighthouse

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Sigh…. Must we?

We still need to lose that last shred of momentum before the playoffs. Plenty of chances of injuries/suspensions to key players too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

McCarthy

KWP - Stephens - Bednarek - Manning

Smallbone - Charles - Bragg

Armstrong - Dibling - Amo-Ameyaw 

Subs: Lumley, Bree, Meghoma, THB, Aribo, Brooks, Fraser, Edozie, Adams

Manager: Sam Allardice

#westumbleon

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

McCarthy

KWP - Stephens - Bednarek - Manning

Smallbone - Charles - Bragg

Armstrong - Dibling - Amo-Ameyaw 

Subs: Lumley, Bree, Meghoma, THB, Aribo, Brooks, Fraser, Edozie, Adams

Manager: Sam Allardice

#westumbleon

Fat chance of those 4 getting anymore of a feel of the pitch - aside from the warm up and at half time - thats if they even get picked. 

Glad I have been invited to go and play golf on Saturday - at least I can influence how shit I play.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, coalman said:

We still need to lose that last shred of momentum before the playoffs. Plenty of chances of injuries/suspensions to key players too.

True. THB messed up last night, trying to get suspended for only the first leg. This is the game to do it, miss Leeds and both playoff games, you might as well book flights to Ibiza, taking off 7am on Sunday.

• Haha 4

It's a strange situation, we obviously need an eye on the playoffs - but we also need to keep an eye on next season and maybe providing an opportunity to SAA or Dibling to be involved at some stage is an idea.

SAA started in the home game against QPR way back in September after having a storming start to his pro career with us, so I don't see why he's been pretty much consigned to the bin since. I think we'll be relying on these sorts a lot more next season, so the more game time we can give them now the better.

• Like 5

What I would love on Saturday, just once, is McCarthy to bounce the ball a few times in front of him, then leather it right down the middle of the pitch to the edge of their box. Just for old times sake. 

After that we can go back to passing it back and forth in our own half racking up the possession stats. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

I don't know whether to be happy or pissed off that I got a ticket for Stoke on Saturday!  I thought a few weeks ago it will be great at the last home league game. Great atmosphere etc. Obviously I'm still going but do any of you.guys think it may be a bit flat at St Marys?

I put this in another thread but they're doing a lap of honour at the end of the game, as it's our last (regular) home game of the season.

Stoke are shit and we should beat them really but let's see if there's any scar tissue.

20 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I put this in another thread but they're doing a lap of honour at the end of the game, as it's our last (regular) home game of the season.

Stoke are shit and we should beat them really but let's see if there's any scar tissue.

Surely that makes no sense when we have the home play off game soon, seems even more pointless than last years 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JRM said:

Surely that makes no sense when we have the home play off game soon, seems even more pointless than last years 

Yeah but after the home playoff game we're either going to have won, which will likely trigger a pitch invasion, or we'll have lost and have to suffer the ignominy of watching our players do an end of season lap of honour while the away team are celebrating reaching the playoff final with their fans.

Last home game of the regular season is absolutely the right time to do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have to say I am more interested in the other leagues games as it is the final day, or I might pop along to watch Annan and their great escape (from a relegation playoff). 

33 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yeah but after the home playoff game we're either going to have won, which will likely trigger a pitch invasion, or we'll have lost and have to suffer the ignominy of watching our players do an end of season lap of honour while the away team are celebrating reaching the playoff final with their fans.

Last home game of the regular season is absolutely the right time to do it.

I just wouldn't do it at all then.

One of my frustrations has been the rigid adherence to a 4-3-3 formation from Martin regardless of the match situation. Why not use the last two games to experiment with a different formation, which can be utilised  in the playoffs ?  I've seen other teams change formation during a game many times, so not sure why this is never considered. With Martin wanting to play Stephens, why not try out 3-5-2, it would make us less predictable and probably stronger defensively.  I'd much rather try our a few different formations than flood the team with youngsters. Something like

McCarthy 

THB Jan B Stephens

KWP  Charles Aribo Smallbone Manning 

Adams Armstrong 

It might fail, but at least it wouldn't hurt to try and if it works it would give us another option if we're hanging onto a single goal lead in the playoffs. There are other options too; 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1.  Let's look at these two final games as a big opportunity to experiment with our tactics and see how it works out. I reckon that we have the players to adapt to these different formations.  For the next two games, we have little to lose. 

• Like 4

probably fall asleep several times during this game. This will be a complete waste of time with not a lot of football creativity. Due to passing back tactics  and spending most of the 90 in our half Saints 0-3 Stoke. I'll be playing Pokemon most of the game now there is wi-fi.

On the upside, there may be some scores left unsettled from the skirmish after the final whistle up at Stoke and there’s some windmilling handbags, pushing and shoving nonsense to spice things up. Pretty sure Captain Jack can stoke up some needle (no pun intended).

6 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Oh no you dinnunt!

18 minutes ago, Andy Hill said:

Surely Manning won’t get selected - be much better to play a traffic cone at LB. 

We've produced LBs for fun Bale, Bridges, Shaw what went wrong?

He'd better start giving the youngsters a run out.  Otherwise we'll lose young talent (and they won't come in the first place) as the pathway seems completely blocked.

We'd rather loan in s**e like Rothwell and Brooks and play them than our home grown talent.

Surely Meghoma cannot be as bad as Manning?

Dibling, Bragg, SAA and Meghoma all looked very promising earlier in the season and then were just binned in favor of the unreliables. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, washsaint said:

He'd better start giving the youngsters a run out.  Otherwise we'll lose young talent (and they won't come in the first place) as the pathway seems completely blocked.

We'd rather loan in s**e like Rothwell and Brooks and play them than our home grown talent.

Surely Meghoma cannot be as bad as Manning?

Dibling, Bragg, SAA and Meghoma all looked very promising earlier in the season and then were just binned in favor of the unreliables. 

Now is not the time. We need to go into the playoffs with a settled side.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

We’ve not had that all season.. ironically, the only time we have, we went 25 unbeaten.

• Like 3

Hoping to see a run out for the youngsters. I'd pretty much play them all as this game is meaningless. Two reasons:

- Keeps our A team (don't laugh) free of injuries for the play-offs

- Gives next season's players a run out. I think some may well be better than first team choices

8 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I am not sure this is true. How many times have we lost badly only to go on and win the next game well, Bristol City and WBA for example. I think it is more about the blend of certain players who like playing together, get on well and understand each other well. I think the next two games we need to bring in fringe youngsters who have something about them and see if they can work well with the regulars that we know have to play. That said, I really don't think it will make much difference. I don't think we have a chance in hell at the play offs as the players have been lost by the manager. They have had enough and now RM's supporter JW has gone, they are not gonna play ball.

9 hours ago, Andy Hill said:

Surely Manning won’t get selected - be much better to play a traffic cone at LB. 

Wierd he was the most consistent player against preston. But was shocking against leciester but so were 90% of the team 

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Fitness depending…

Lumley; KWP THB Bednarek Stephens; Smallbone Downes Aribo; Arma Adams Fraser

Brooks will start has been absolute dogshit last 3 games yet gets selected i would give SAA a go.

• Like 3

Yepp, who cares. The players don't give a shit, so why do I.?.

We'll be stuck here for years, just like Leeds were. It's the fact that Bummuff and Brightons bumboys gloating pisses me off.

What's happened??

• Haha 1

This has become a nothing game now after the capitulations against Cardiff and Leicester.

I can’t really give a toss as the players seemingly don’t either.

We’ve lost any momentum and I really don’t see us even making the play off final let alone winning it. 

Mid table Championship mediocrity beckons for some time now I fear…..unless RM changes tact (doubtful) or we get a manager in to inject some excitement and flair into our squad. 

Edited by WGC Saint
  • Like 3

Buzzing for this one. The boys will be fired up after tuesday nights thrashing wanting to put the record right. A good win and results go our way we could be going to Elland Road next week with promotion on the last day a real possibility. COYR!

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Buzzing for this one. The boys will be fired up after tuesday nights thrashing wanting to put the record right. A good win and results go our way we could be going to Elland Road next week with promotion on the last day a real possibility. COYR!

Can I get some of what you're taking.........

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Play some players who look like they give a shit. Let all those who just want to stay injury free for their new (or old) clubs just watch. Time to get some zip and enthusiasm in our play, and an end to this constant boring ball recycling with no shots. So sick of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DT said:

Play some players who look like they give a shit. Let all those who just want to stay injury free for their new (or old) clubs just watch. Time to get some zip and enthusiasm in our play, and an end to this constant boring ball recycling with no shots. So sick of it.

100%. One small issue with that, the players on the pitch will have to completely ignore what RM tells them to do………….

• Like 2

Has anyone noticed that sometimes when our defenders pass the ball forward, on releasing the ball they backward run presumably to create room to receive the ball back. To me this just demonstrates the negative mindset given to them by RM. I want to see that ball passed up the park asap.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-1 Stoke - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic