WBA 0-0 Saints - SF 1st Leg Match Thread

SaintBobby

All over.

Poor quality, but WBA are nothing to be afraid of.

Stop with Stephens, he's a liability. Same with Mara. We can beat them, just need to play to our strengths.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Not unhappy with that all things considered. At least we know we've got to go for it in the second leg rather than sitting back. 

Edited by trousers

FT.

WBA were aggressive in the press, fair play

We were crap. I felt the formation/set up did not do us justice this game. Jack 'the shoehorn' Stephens was crap but Bednarek and McCarthy were great, Not sure I can recall Baz putting in a commanding performance like that against a good side...

• Like 11

Quite a disappointing display that.

AMC and Bedders about the only bright spot. KWP and Flynn nowhere near their top levels. Boner a bit of a passenger, THB looked a bit shaky, don’t know what happened with AA but he clearly got a big whack to the face and it really affected him.. Stephens the worst player on the pitch, Manning not far behind and Mara just isn’t good enough. If Che isn’t fit I think I’d I’d prefer to risk LND from the start and make a sub if we need to, Mara up top is absolutely not the answer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

So dull. Our keeper probably had 10 times more touches than our forwards. This negative attitude drives me nuts. Football used to be for entertainment. Going to need to show some ambition in the second leg at some point.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

McCarthy made some great saves and dominated his area.  Really good performance from him.

Stephens found a West Brom shirt more than their man of the match.

Edited by Wade Garrett
  • Like 1

Fans sounded great. Tough game v a well coached side. Good saves from McCarthy when needed. Little goal threat but in the circumstances I’ll take that.

Brooks apparently came on as a sub but I’m not convinced as I never saw him.

Need to be better on Friday but we know we can be

• Like 3

Just now, The Kraken said:

AMC and Bedders about the only bright spot. KWP and Flynn nowhere near their top levels. Boner a bit of a passenger, THB looked a bit shaky, don’t know what happened with AA but he clearly got a big whack to the face and it really affected him.. Stephens the worst player on the pitch, Manning not far behind and Mara just isn’t good enough. If Che isn’t fit I think I’d I’d prefer to risk LND from the start and make a sub if we need to, Mara up top is absolutely not the answer.

Bit harsh KWP was double teamed all game and downes was everywhere busting his gut going forward and back.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Anyone on here know the blue haired bird in the Saints end? She was the highlight of the match for me. 

Pics or it didn't happen.

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

McCarthy made some great saves and dominated his area.  Really good performance from him.

Stephens found a West Brom shirt more than their man of the match.

Made an edit "McCarthy made some great saves and dominated his area but couldn't kick a cat.  Really good performance from him."

• Haha 1

Just now, Convict Colony said:

Bit harsh KWP was double teamed all game and downes was everywhere busting his gut going forward and back.

Dont think either had a bad game, they’ve just got super high levels and I don’t think they hit them today. Always gonna happen in some games.

Good result overall though.

• Like 2

0 0 perfectly ok, team was set up for that. Adams first 60 on Friday, glass vase Stewart on for the last 30.

Oh and stop passing it across the 6yd area.

McCarthy MoTM, good to see him growing in confidence. Downes brilliant as usual.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Thought Downes was superb. Must have watched a different game.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

Not unhappy with that all things considered. At least we know we've got to go for it in the second leg rather than sitting back. 

Very reasonable summation of the situation I have thought

Two wins to return to the PL is ideal

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

After these last handful of games it has become clear that during our dip in form Martin should have pulled Bazunu out of the firing line when it felt like every shot against us was going in and put McCarthy in. The latter wasn't good enough for a Premier League number one spot, but similar to Davis, he's perfectly capable in the Championship. 

Felt as though one of Sulemana/Edozie should have come on for the last ten minutes for Stephens also. Add a bit off chaos/unpredictability up the field for us because everything we did was very predictable and eaten up by the West Brom defence apart from the Downes and Stewart chances in either half. I don't really get what happened with Edozie, he was in good form, played most weeks, then got injured following a bad tackle, but he hasn't really played since. Got a start against Stoke, but everyone was bad that day. Can't have a handful of midfielders and attackers who can only make sideways passes on the pitch. Need the gamechangers also.

Ah well, 0-0. Nothing to chase, nothing to defend. Psychologically, it's just another game we're going into with home advantage. Do need Adams, though.

Up the Saints.

Edited by HarvSFC

If we go up and want to stay up, we should be destroying WBA, we are not changing 11 starters for next season. That’s impossible. 

No problem with RM but yet again proves he clearly wouldn’t be anywhere near Prem level.

A lot of money to be spent in the right way to stay up if we make it. 

A big second leg. Norwich Leeds the same I know. Need something to inspire the lads, because we will have a lot of them if we go up. 

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Question tho is why play 2 at the back for the whole season then play 3 at the back v leeds and here.

Interesting time to change philosophy

Good time too. Our goals conceded this season has been appalling. Three at the back worked a treat against Leeds so I for one am happy see us continue with it. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Question tho is why play 2 at the back for the whole season then play 3 at the back v leeds and here.

Interesting time to change philosophy

Because we lost Stu Armstrong. You want your best players on the pitch. RM would rather have the aggression and leadership of Stephens at the back freeing up KWP and Manning to roam forwards, rather than ask Brooks or Rothwell to play Stu's role and make a Horlicks of it...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Made an edit "McCarthy made some great saves and dominated his area but couldn't kick a cat.  Really good performance from him."

We would have lost with Bazunu in goal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RobJones1971 said:

Can’t believe the negativity here. After first 10 minutes we have controlled this game. Totally removed the impact of their crowd. Yes, there are players we all do not like and some disagree with the style of play, but every team playing away would be happy with the score and 64% possession. 

What are people expecting, us to batter them 5-0 with 99%!!

Spot on. A hard fought 0-0 away from home, will do for me. I couldn't give a monkeys about the performance. Its completely in our own hands now. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Thereisonlyonemickychannon said:

Stewart was bloody pointless

He wasn't.

Your post was.

Great to have him out there. 

• Like 13

I would have taken 0-0 at half time, probably even before the game started, and I’ll take it now. Professional enough job overall, if we’d gone balls out for the win and left ourselves open and lost everyone would be moaning like fuck. If we play like that at home then we deserve pelters but I don’t think we will.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Jimmy_D changed the title to WBA 0-0 Saints - SF 1st Leg Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic