Ronald Koeman Joins Everton - CONFIRMED

Jimmy_D

What I dont understand is, having just returned from two weeks holiday and having forced a move to Everton he finds it necessary to take another holiday when there are negotiations to be done , arrangements to be made and contracts to be signed

Yes arrogant really.

It could be routine and just taking longer than expected or even her indoors kicking off as they sometimes do.

Agreed, I can hear her now, 'I told you not a penny less than £8m/year, tell'em to stick their £7m/year where the sun don't shine'.... that seems the most obvious reason for the hold up when you look at it like this.:mcinnes:

Yes arrogant really.

Couldnt agree more, total lack of respect for his new employers.

Not sure I would be happy if I was paying someone £7 million a year and they couldnt hang around for a day or two to sign the contract !

Oh well, up to them if they are that desperate.

Maybe Everton want us top pay Koeman's wages until their pre-season training starts.

Right now, it's hard to see how he could stay at Southampton after all that's been said so I can't see how any further delays benefit us. I also assume it is difficult for us to offer the job to another manager until he's gone. Everton now just seem to be taking the p!ss.

What I dont understand is, having just returned from two weeks holiday and having forced a move to Everton he finds it necessary to take another holiday when there are negotiations to be done , arrangements to be made and contracts to be signed

A thought . . . . . . .because being the duplicitous chappie he is, in common with so many football mercenaries, particualrly agents, that side of the matter has basically been arranged and completed on the QT while he was ostensibly still the Saints manager? [season-ticket sales and all that type of stuff, also coming into the equation.]

Maybe Everton want us top pay Koeman's wages until their pre-season training starts.

Right now, it's hard to see how he could stay at Southampton after all that's been said so I can't see how any further delays benefit us. I also assume it is difficult for us to offer the job to another manager until he's gone. Everton now just seem to be taking the p!ss.

Nah. Why would he accept £165k a month from us when he could get £580k a month from Everton?

He has obviously been in contact to sanction the new contract for Darren Gibson! :lol: Massive statement of intent.

Ronald Koeman was offered the Barca Job last summer according to a little birdie .... but just him. Not Erwin..... So he declined it. He had/has specific escape clauses in his contract.

So his contract included a release clause if Everton came calling but not Barcelona? Okay.....

Probably just reassuring the wife that they can get a place in some new money chavtastic joke like Alderley Edge rather than live in self pity city itself.

Alderley Edge was always a beautiful large village. I used to walk there in the mid sixties.

Many old Hampshire and New Forest market towns (like Winchester where I grew up) have turned into equally as bad, and probably worse "new money chavtastic jokes."

I rather like the phrase though and I think it sums up the ruination of the Winchester I knew and loved perfectly.

However perhaps Saints are playing hardball and threatening to keep Koeman to his contract, put him out on gardening leave until the window has closed (if that's legal) unless Everton agree to a no poaching clause. While appointing a new manager.

I think that's legal, certainly its done in The City.

So his contract included a release clause if Everton came calling but not Barcelona? Okay.....

I don't think the intent was to say Barcelona couldn't trigger his contract. the contend was as follows:

1. Barcelona offered him the job

2. RK declined (implying he could have left if he chose)

3. Barcelona did not want RK to bring EK (implied reason for declining)

4. RK has specific escape clauses (implied that barcelona and/or everton could trigger such clauses)

Far fetched? probably.

Ronald Koeman was offered the Barca Job last summer according to a little birdie .... but just him. Not Erwin..... So he declined it. He had/has specific escape clauses in his contract.

Err, wasn't last summer immediately after Barcelona won the treble in Enrique's first season? And considering Saints was the first time the two Koemans had worked together in management, it would seem a bit odd to let late-developing sentiment keep RK from the job is allegedly desires so much. All in all, sounds like absolute toss.

I don't think the intent was to say Barcelona couldn't trigger his contract. the contend was as follows:

1. Barcelona offered him the job

2. RK declined (implying he could have left if he chose)

3. Barcelona did not want RK to bring EK (implied reason for declining)

4. RK has specific escape clauses (implied that barcelona and/or everton could trigger such clauses)

Far fetched? probably.

I was just being silly, I wasn't serious. In fact I rarely am :)

The seems utterly ludicrous. This would have been after one single year of the two of them working together as manager and assistant. In that scenario I would have no doubt Erwin would have given his brother his blessing to take one of the biggest jobs in world football and achieve the pinnicle of his career.

Also, no way that wouldn't have made it to the newspapers in Holland or Spain or the UK.

Meanwhile, in an alternative universe....

Ring Ring. Hello Ronald, Katrina here. Can we keep this confidential? But I'm curious, how much of this is about the money at Everton, and how much is it frustration with Mr Reed? Ah, I did wonder that. As it happens, I've become quite fond of you. Would love to find a way for you to stay, even at this late hour. Any chance I could persuade you to shut down conversations, go back to your vacation, but just brainstorm with me whether we could work something out here in which you take full charge of all footballing matters. Of course that would mean earning substantially more, and by the way... I actually am extremely ambitious for this club. I know Dad would have wanted that..... Mr Reed has been tremendous at Southampton, of course, but I must confess I'd be so excited at the prospect of you and Erwin committing for the long run.... Oh, and I have a beautiful vacation spot in the Caribbean I can recommend....

Koeman joined Southampton 16 June 2014. That means in a week he will have been here for two years. Cue loyalty bonus? May explain why things are dragging, wouldn't be surprised to see him finally move around 17 June and claiming it was just due to holidays.

Koeman joined Southampton 16 June 2014. That means in a week he will have been here for two years. Cue loyalty bonus? May explain why things are dragging, wouldn't be surprised to see him finally move around 17 June and claiming it was just due to holidays.

Would imagine a 'loyalty' bonus goes out the window if you f**k off to another club

Ring Ring. Hello Ronald, Katrina here. Can we keep this confidential? But I'm curious, how much of this is about the money at Everton, and how much is it frustration with Mr Reed? Ah, I did wonder that. As it happens, I've become quite fond of you. Would love to find a way for you to stay, even at this late hour. Any chance I could persuade you to shut down conversations, go back to your vacation, but just brainstorm with me whether we could work something out here in which you take full charge of all footballing matters. Of course that would mean earning substantially more, and by the way... I actually am extremely ambitious for this club. I know Dad would have wanted that..... Mr Reed has been tremendous at Southampton, of course, but I must confess I'd be so excited at the prospect of you and Erwin committing for the long run.... Oh, and I have a beautiful vacation spot in the Caribbean I can recommend....

Bloody hope not!

* Trousers hands over conspiracy theory baton *

:)

Plausible IMO

Would imagine a 'loyalty' bonus goes out the window if you f**k off to another club

No it doesn't, it just rewards being somewhere for a time period. Players have it too, but they lose it if they hand in a transfer request - which is often why they try to force a move without handing in a formal request, much to the outrage of us supporters!

Can't see there's anything that Saints can do to stop Koeman sitting on it for a week, claiming the loyalty bonus and then leaving, even if it is seems abundantly clear what he is doing. What a sh1t though. As if his £7m isn't enough.

Hahahaha. Brilliant by the Liverpool Echo.

How insecure are they in their desperation to show everyone how big they are and how small we are? What a Mickey Mouse paper/article and sad to say, my view of their fans and club is fast going that way.

Read it in your head with a scouse accent that is bordering on tears. It's brilliant. We are massive I tell you, massive. For ****s sake why won't people believe us. We are massive

Cheered me up no end.

Edit. Has to be that squeaky scouser from those viral Liverpool videos. Ah man, had to read it again in that voice. Superb.

A club's standing in the game does not fluctuate year on year.

Newsflash - yes they do.

Or are they making the point that it only changes very slowly... in which case how many more years of mediocrity does it require before we can consider Everton to be mediocre?

Err, wasn't last summer immediately after Barcelona won the treble in Enrique's first season? And considering Saints was the first time the two Koemans had worked together in management, it would seem a bit odd to let late-developing sentiment keep RK from the job is allegedly desires so much. All in all, sounds like absolute toss.

Err no , obviously it was not to take the job last summer... it was to take the job at the end of his contract here subject to certain conditions.... this story came directly from one of his relatives.... so toss perhaps... perhaps not.

Suggest lawyers might be able to help argue about supposed level of 'loyalty' in that instance

Even though they are referred to as loyalty bonuses, I think they are more a 'term of service' reward. Even if a lawyer could prove that RK was only staying to earn his bonus, I'm not sure there's is anything in that which would invalidate the contract. Lots of people wait until they've had their bonus before tendering their resignation...

Wow...

That is actually hilarious. It sounds like it's been written by some half cut fan doing a journalism A level. I had absolutely no idea Everton felt this way about their status and get so hostile when it comes to their image and how others see them.

As others have said above, football changes and so does the club hierarchy. That's the beauty of it surely? There are plenty of other teams with a 'history' like Everton but the bottom line is it really does mean f**k all today. Players aren't going to sign for Nottingham Forest because they won the Champions League 30 years ago and Everton aren't going to attract world class players because they won the old first division 30 years ago. It certainly doesn't give them the right to declare that they are a better team than others, especially when it's orated by fans and crap journalists who weren't even alive the last time their club had real success.

Everton seem to think that because they have a new wealthy owner it suddenly means they'll be challenging for a top 4 spot. As convinced as they are that this will happen, I'm equally assured that this time next year they will have accomplished absolutely f all and I'd be surprised if Koeman is still in charge.

Going forward, my lasting opinion of Everton is one of a self entitled little rich kid thinking the world owes them success and I will be genuinely pleased to see them fall short next season.

He'd be mad to go there,' cried football fans across the country.This negative perception of Everton is the product of a 21-year barren run. Ludicrous claims can be made and accepted.

Yeh suggesting a club that has done nothing for 21 years is the 'ludicrous' part of that article.

Rest of the country = wrong, oddly Liverpool Echo and Everton fans are the only ones who can see true greatness.

You couldn't make it up, I'd be embarrassed to write that on a message board let alone in actual paper as supposed piece of journalism.

I had no idea they have won 9 league titles. If I had to guess, I would have said something like "2". I've been watching football closely since 1989. I just checked, and 5 of those titles are pre-WW2 (indeed one was in the 19th century and one was during WW1). 2 in the 60s. 2 in the 80s.

But thankfully, due to this excellent article, I now know they are of a similar stature to Juventus (30 league titles, including 7 since 2000, alone)

If you have to keep saying you're a big club - you are not.

Well the article does say...However, the Toffees can now be a big club and, for perhaps the first time this century, truly act like one.

So saying that they aren't currently a big club

Even though they are referred to as loyalty bonuses, I think they are more a 'term of service' reward. Even if a lawyer could prove that RK was only staying to earn his bonus, I'm not sure there's is anything in that which would invalidate the contract. Lots of people wait until they've had their bonus before tendering their resignation...

(Apologies for quoting my own post, imagine that breaks some sort of protocol, but in addition it would make sense why Southampton would say that they had agreed terms with Everton but Everton moved to quash such rumours and not announce anything on agreeing terms with Koeman, because as soon as they do that there's a case for Southampton to claim he is no longer working for them and therefore doesn't warrant his 2yr bonus.

Well the article does say...However, the Toffees can now be a big club and, for perhaps the first time this century, truly act like one.

So saying that they aren't currently a big club

"However, the Toffees can now be a big club and, for perhaps the first time this century, truly act like one.

Everton can bully and harass for the best. If they want a striker, they will get him. If they wish to keep their star man, they can."

...also they don't want to keep Lukaku dontknow.gif