Cardiff 0 Saints 3 match reaction

Glasgow_Saint

MotM vs Cardiff City (Away 2013/14)  

305 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Cardiff City (Away 2013/14)

• Gazzaniga
    • Shaw
    • Chambers
    • Fonte
    • Yoshida
    • Cork
    • Schneiderlin
    • Davis, S
    • Lallana
    • Rodriguez
    • Lambert
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Ramirez
    • Gallagher

Just what the doctor ordered.

Thought Shaw, Lallana, Morgan and JRod were superb. No real poor performances, fair play to Gazza and Yoshi on a decent game too.

Saints in no-mans land in the Premier League, in the middle of a 12 points space between 8th and 10th.

Great away performance and other results have all gone our way. Only downside is losing Morgan for Everton, but Tim Howard's suspension helps compensate.

We're guaranteed to be at least ninth after the Chelsea game unless Stoke win two on the bounce and make up 17 goal difference.

Once again very impressed with Chambers. He has made the step up with no problem at all. Imagine if we had back up of that quality in every position. I would say Cardiff were poor though and I can't imagine getting three goals like that against a decent team.

Still, you can only beat who you play and we controlled that match throughout. It was like they didn't even have a midfield.

All good except for the joke booking that Morgan got, never a booking, puts him out of Sunday's game.

When you consider that Fonte didn't get booked for that very late tackle near the end, it's baffling how Mariner decided that was worthy of a yellow. Softest booking I've ever seen.

That was a win we desperately needed, and one which was never in any doubt to be honest.

We did alright, but Cardiff were the worst side I've seen us play all year. Utterly horrendous, and it made it a pretty easy afternoon for us all being told.

Next game will be the bigger test...

Gazzaniga did ok overall I thought but he's very shaky on crosses. It's thought he injured himself slightly in the first half as well but overall he did pretty well. Rodriguez and Lallana were brilliant and Fonte was solid as a rock.

Also whilst Yoshida did have a few questionable moments with ball-watching/passing, his performance overall did reinforce the question why on earth did we persist with Hooiveld? With match practice Yoshida is capable of being a solid backup at PL level.

Lambert looked better today also

Great away performance and other results have all gone our way. Only downside is losing Morgan for Everton, but Tim Howard's suspension helps compensate.

We're guaranteed to be at least ninth after the Chelsea game unless Stoke win two on the bounce and make up 17 goal difference.

And Barry I think.

Great Result and performance. Outstanding 1st half and professional the 2nd. Hopefully end of our blip. Big shut out for the back 5. Very impressed by Yoshida.

My Ratings

Gazzaniga 7

Chambers 7

Shaw 7

Schneiderlin 7.5

Fonte 8

Yoshida 8

Rodriguez 8

Cork 8

Lambert 7

Davis 7

Lallana 8.5

Watched it - great game. After that first half I knew that was how the 2nd half was going to play out. Top performance from the whole team - Well done the fans for getting behind Gazza - really helped him and he grew in confidence with every save he did.

Lallana & Spiderman bossed it, hope to see Lallana's little 'dink' on SoccerAM tekkers next week, what a great move.

I'll credit Yoshida with a great shot saving tackle in the 1st half but he needs to seriously work on his passing to midfield - may have just about scrapped a 50% pass rate today.

All in all, we're back for the New Year and an important game to move us away from 10th place. COYR