Stoke 2 Saints 3 - Match & Reactions

Wiggles31

MotM vs Stoke (Away 2014/15 League Cup)  

243 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Stoke (Away 2014/15 League Cup)

• Forster
    • Targett
    • Clyne
    • Gardos
    • Fonte
    • Schneiderlin
    • Wanyama
    • Davis, S
    • Long
    • Tadic
    • Pelle
    • Cork
    • Alderweireld

Cracking. Stoke really put their weight about second half. Hairdos was a bit shakey.

MOTM for me was Long - he was brilliant tonight. Schniederlin and Davis awesome as ever too.

Mean Gardos obviously.

Also how **** is Bojan?!

Poorest we've played all season in the second half, too busy arguing with the ref for the first and some poor set piece defending was punished for the second. After Begovic kept them in it with a couple of saves, we looked panicky and sat way too deep.

Having said all that, the players showed the mental toughness that we lacked last season and were able to dig out a win at the death. No way that would have happened last season.

Also, good to get the win over that bunch of dirty bastards. If they aren't making dangerous tackles, they are playacting or resorting to other forms of gamesmanship.

That was an excellent result, showed all sides of us. (including the bad sides, unfortunately)

Not happy with the way we surrounded it a bit in the 2nd half, we were very sloppy and kept putting ourselves under pressure. In the first half we were terrific, Stoke were poor, but we should have had more than the 2 and it wouldn't have been as nervy!

but Stoke were always going to have a spell, and what a spell they did have. I really don't understand why Stoke fans were laughing at us for calling them physical, what did i just watch? Them putting us under enormous pressure, hitting the ball in the air, winning headers, throwing their bodies at it etc. It's not pretty, it's damn right ugly, but it works for them. It's part of them.

But to grind out a 3-2 win in those circumstances shows great character, great grit...and it also shows that we have a great goal scorer.

Bit nervous for the draw, no idea why.

Good cup tie. Forster looked dodgy tonight. Stoke were very dirty. I was a bit concerned that we couldn't kill the game off - lots of chances missed - Davis did well but must start to score more of his chances. Ron's use of subs continues to look odd - why not make the changes when we were under pressure and looking like conceding the second (which we duly did)?