Poll? If you were offered a 5th Place finish for the season, would you take it?

Jonnyboy

A guaranteed Europa spot. Would it be enough to retain Toby, Clyne, Morgan etc etc?

I think they'd be off either way, they can double their $$$$$$ elsewhere. A lot of people seem to forget fourth doesn't guarantee CL football anyway, there would be a tricky qualifier to get through.

Yes, assuming it would mean finishing above Spurs and Liverpool. Strange poll, surely 5th is tbe best we can realistically hope for?

That is my main hope for the season also, qualifying for the CL would be a tremendous achievement, although I think we're unlikely to make it. Just hoping neither of those two take one of the places.

I would want to know the details of the person making the offer and then pass the information onto the FA and the police.

Lol, I think before the Swansea match the 3rd place dream was in full effect. Lose to the scousers and it will be all about the 7th place depression. 5th currently seems a satisfactory outcome.

No. I thought sixth at the start of the season was doable, but having got so far into the season in the top four, that's where I would like us to finish. I still think that the two last places available will be contested by us, United and Arsenal and I think United's position is a false one, as they have the worst defence I have ever seen in a United team.

No way. The best chance for a top 4 PL finish since, well, forever. And if we don't make it, what's the worst that can happen, 6th or 7th? Hardly the end of the world.

Very much this, we have been in the top 4 pretty much all season, we will probably never get a better chance. Well worth the (hypothetical) gamble.

No. We have a realistic chance of getting in the top 4 and potentially changing the landscape of English football for the forseeable future by qualifying for the Champs League. We have to give it our best shot. We are currently 4th by merit, not by accident. We may not finish in the top 4 but the players deserve the chance to go for it. Europa League will not be incentive enough for the likes of Morgan and Toby to stay. Champs League might.

I'd take it 100%. In fact I'd pay you a large percentage of my money if you could guarantee it. It's a dream.

Threads like this I find bizarre - I watch games for the excitement of the 'if onlys' and the 'what ifs'. Anything else would be a bit like watching Scottish football in the 80s, when if you were a Celtic or Rangers supporter there were only 2 (4?) games worth watching. The rest were a foregone conclusion and the league was as boring as hell. In the Championship etc., don't we have playoffs to create extra excitement? People here it seems would exchange excitement for guarantee if they could. Might as well go to sleep for 40 years.

I will take my chances, thanks, I'm not afraid of finishing 8th :thumbup:

If you offered me 5th, but a win at Man City final day secures 4th, then maybe you have a Talking Point tho :thumbup:

Yeah, this is what I've said throughout the season. If you offered me the chance to go into the final day with it in our hands, even if the task was to have to beat City away, then I'd take it.

I hate to say it but if there's a mathematical chance of the top four by the final day fixture I'd be quite surprised.

We're defensively the best team in the league so we are where we are on merit, but I still worry about our ability to score goals. I don't think we'll finish top 4 anyway, the teams below us are starting to find their form and we're dropping points at home, so yes I would take 5th if it were offered now.

The players and the management wouldn't though, they should believe they can get top 4 right up until the last second of the season.

We're defensively the best team in the league so we are where we are on merit, but I still worry about our ability to score goals. I don't think we'll finish top 4 anyway, the teams below us are starting to find their form and we're dropping points at home, so yes I would take 5th if it were offered now.

The players and the management wouldn't though, they should believe they can get top 4 right up until the last second of the season.

You could also argue we have been somewhat out of sorts recently in comparison to our form earlier in the season. We have still ground out a fair few results in that time whilst not playing very well. What's to say we get Toby back along with Morgan and Wanyama together, J-Rod back for the last 6-10 games, Tadic back on form after his rest, find out how to hit the back of the net a bit more often? The other sides around us have picked up their form/results but all are still more than capable of dropping a few points too. I think some people are under-estimating what a fantastic position we are currently in.

A thousand times no. Not saying I'm expecting 4th or that I'd be disappointed with the team if they finished 6th or 7th, but this is realistically the only chance we might ever get to break the top four, and the difference in reward between 4th and 5th is potentially huge. If we can get our best players and our style of playing back then there's a chance - Man U are playing poorly, Liverpool and Spurs have a much more congested fixture list and as for Arsenal ... well they'll probably end up top four to be honest but while there's 2 spots to fight for we have to believe!