CONFIRMED: Saints sign Juanmi on four-year deal

trousers

• 1 month later...

surely a " wind-up" of the nth degree.

If Spurs had missed signing him, and are "suddenly" interested in him.. it shows how poor their system must be.... to have ignored him in the first place......

........"keeping tabs on", indeed :lol:......they should know to keep there hands off, and an eventual asking price should be sky high (for them).

If any of it is true, it's a great testament to our scouting system......More interesting though, it shows that Paul Mitchell may have run out of ideas from his knowledge of our system, and has resorted to simply watching whoever we have a current interest in. I think maybe when he left us, he didn't actually take a wealth of information with him.

I like how we have to sign a player so Spurs can see whether he's any good before nabbing him off us a season later.

At least this one is ours to sell.

Maybe we should stamp them with a 'sell by' date when we sign them up.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Malaga area at the moment and have been speaking to a few locals about the guy . From expats that go to watch them ( the season tickets are dirt cheap evidently ) to taxi drivers & waiters ect . All , without exception , rave about him . The only doubts I've heard are about his size & strength to play in PL . They really do rate him though , looks like he could be a little gem . An English guy said he could be like juninho was at boro

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

• 4 months later...
Was good when he came on last night I thought. Lovely quick feet, would be good to see him for a bit longer soon.

Our enforced change of style is likely to suit him more I think.

Movement, through balls and runs in behind; as opposed to playing off a big fella.

I think he's potentially a class act and should be a bigger part of the team. He's never going to be your traditional target man but just behind the CF he'd be a real box of tricks, pulling the strings and weighing in with his fair share of goals.

I'd be gutted if he disappears without ever having been given a good run out as I think the guy could be very good for SFC.

So was Juanmi simply left out vs Norwich or was he injured? Could it hint at a loan move back to Spain' date=' as some of the Spanish press were recently suggesting? A pretty bad fall from grace if he was left out: a highly rated new Spanish international to Ryan Seager's understudy...[/quote']

Good question, with all the knashing of teeth and speculation around Juanmi's absence has been overlooked. Could he be leaving?

Good question, with all the knashing of teeth and speculation around Juanmi's absence has been overlooked. Could he be leaving?

I thought Juanmi has shown enough to have been Mane's replacement on Saturday after the late-for-meeting fiasco, rather than JWP being shoehorned into an attacking role he has shown ample times previously he's not cut out for.

I thought Juanmi has shown enough to have been Mane's replacement on Saturday after the late-for-meeting fiasco, rather than JWP being shoehorned into an attacking role he has shown ample times previously he's not cut out for.

Yes but presumably Juanmi didn't travel, and therefore him playing was not an option. The Mane fiasco happened in Norwich (assume at the hotel/team base), not at Southampton. In my view in the circumstances it would have been better to play Seager (or even Ramirez) rather than JWP.

Yes but presumably Juanmi didn't travel, and therefore him playing was not an option. The Mane fiasco happened in Norwich (assume at the hotel/team base), not at Southampton. In my view in the circumstances it would have been better to play Seager (or even Ramirez) rather than JWP.

Yes, of course - if Juanmi didn't travel to Norwich, he could hardly be drafted in, point taken. It begs the question then, why didn't he travel? And if he is on his way out, it seems a rough call since he has hardly been given a chance - he clearly has talent.

Yes, of course - if Juanmi didn't travel to Norwich, he could hardly be drafted in, point taken. It begs the question then, why didn't he travel? And if he is on his way out, it seems a rough call since he has hardly been given a chance - he clearly has talent.

He's on his way out because he isn't getting enough playing time, allegedly. It seems like its his call, not the Club's. But clearly Ronald does not think he is good enough, otherwise he would have got more games. Frankly, from what I've seen its no great loss, I'm sure we would do better giving Seager more opportunities (or even Isgrove).

He's on his way out because he isn't getting enough playing time, allegedly. It seems like its his call, not the Club's. But clearly Ronald does not think he is good enough, otherwise he would have got more games. Frankly, from what I've seen its no great loss, I'm sure we would do better giving Seager more opportunities (or even Isgrove).

Juanmi has done little of note, but are these nippers good enough?, even for the bench? Seager seems popular on this board, is he decent? Not seen him myself.

Isgrove will have had to improved a lot from what I saw of him in that Sheffield United game in which he looked a bloody million miles away from being good enough for top flight football.

How did he fair out on loan?

(Despite fan disapproval) Ronald Koeman has been very fair to Juanmi, and given him 10 Prem. sub. apps. ...and yet he still looks like a fish out of water.

APPS: 4 sub.apps in Europa League. total 80 mins.+ 157 mins in 2 Capital Cup matches + c. 150 mins.in 10 Prem. sub.games = 0 goals.

I'm sure he has talent, but it hasn't showed through. In comparison Shane Long, who had very limited action last season, did have an impact when he came on in games.

With Long as the only " fit " striker at present, it really is about time that Ryan Seager had a start. He could hardly do worse, otherwise can expect to see Juanmi...again !

(Despite fan disapproval) Ronald Koeman has been very fair to Juanmi, and given him 10 Prem. sub. apps. ...and yet he still looks like a fish out of water.

APPS: 4 sub.apps in Europa League. total 80 mins.+ 157 mins in 2 Capital Cup matches + c. 150 mins.in 10 Prem. sub.games = 0 goals.

I'm sure he has talent, but it hasn't showed through. In comparison Shane Long, who had very limited action last season, did have an impact when he came on in games.

With Long as the only " fit " striker at present, it really is about time that Ryan Seager had a start. He could hardly do worse, otherwise can expect to see Juanmi...again !

David, since you quote those statistics about Juanmi's playing time and lack of goals - perhaps you could apply the same forensic microscope to Prowsey; the minutes played would be rather prolific, many of them spent further forward than Juanmi has seen in his short cameos. The goal tally would be superior by how many again? Yes, one. Sometimes statistics are worthy of scrutiny, but often just watching players' minutes on the park are more instructive, and if you've watched Juanmi's time on the pitch you surely would have seen something worth following up on.

It didn't matter who was located where when Mane turned up late, the same people constituted the squad as would have done if Mane had turned up on time.

Mane was not only still in the squad but got on the pitch. Seager would have been on the bench either way and Juanmi wouldn't.

David, since you quote those statistics about Juanmi's playing time and lack of goals - perhaps you could apply the same forensic microscope to Prowsey; the minutes played would be rather prolific, many of them spent further forward than Juanmi has seen in his short cameos. The goal tally would be superior by how many again? Yes, one. Sometimes statistics are worthy of scrutiny, but often just watching players' minutes on the park are more instructive, and if you've watched Juanmi's time on the pitch you surely would have seen something worth following up on.

I think JWP completed his 100th appearance (did I read) several weeks ago.

I don't have his total game time to hand, and if we remember that he also played in our first game back in the Prem.2012...it adds up to a lot.

It seems that some people don't judge him in the same way, perhaps in the light of the fact that he's been with the club since junior school age, and was quite outstanding at U18 level. Now captain for England U21 (and even gets a mention from Roy Hodgson). So what's wrong? If he plays so well for England.. then why not for Saints?

Many midfielders go months - even seasons - without scoring many goals, but still make a valuable contribution with passing, corners and free kicks etc.

JWP has been around so long, without ever finding his best role in a Saints team that has changed personnel and formation ..not to mention managers a few times.

He's certainly one of the most enthusiastic players I can remember in a Saints shirt, but it doesn't always come over on the pitch.

I don't think he has reached the stage where he can be considered to be a starting player, but still managed to get time time in every match.

Whatever his correct role in the team?...he hasn't found it yet, but he's still only 20/21 (?)....so in time he may turn out to be a good player.

As for Juanmi....? I'm really willing him to have a good game, if only to try and justify the fee that was paid out. In most games I've watched, he hardly seems to be involved, and I'm not even sure if he's had a shot on target (?) in c. 400 mins. of football...not a good sign for a striker. but then again both Pelle and Mane haven't scored much in the last 2-3 months.

Koeman has said on a couple of occasions that Juanmi will go on to be a big player for Saints but clearly thinks it will take time to get him up to speed.

Or, he might have been injured. Maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Obvious ability but will Juanmi ever get going for us?

Fair enough you need time to settle but he hasn't even started a game and doesn't come on that often.

Not a criticism of the player or manager, just must be frustrsting for someone that was on the fringes of the Spain squad.

Likely he will go back there in the summer?

Fair enough you need time to settle but he hasn't even started a game and doesn't come on that often.

Not a criticism of the player or manager, just must be frustrsting for someone that was on the fringes of the Spain squad.

We should look to sell him and re-invest.

PEDANT ALERT!

He started against MK and Villa in the league cup.

to be fair to him, he probably isn't on glorious wages compred to gaston. whereas the gaston experiment, waiting until he come good, was costly, I'm more inclined to give juanmi a run in and see what he can do. I doubt he'll devalue much less than 5 million.

With Charlie Austin coming in, this must push Juanmi even further down the pecking order & maybe even off the bench, if all our forwards are fit. Maybe we should loan him back to Spain, for the rest of the season to get game time & rebuild his confidence, & then see if he can step up to replace Mane next season having had some time to familiarise himself with the club already. There's definitely a talented player in there; no way Spain would've called him up if there wasn't.

Absolutly agree with you,from the bit parts hes played hes done ok,abit like Long (who i still dont rate)given a run and hes (long)done resonably ok.There must be some frustration from both sides to hope there's some trust in ability but we will have to see,hope it works out.