Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

The fan in me on the other hand just wants a bit of continuity to be excited by. If we do have an impending signing I have no idea who it is; it could be:

Bony

Benteke

Boufal

Castagnious

Praet

Nabinadindininini from Napoli

Berahino

Tello

Young Thunder Cat from Zagreb

or the Ox.

Who was the last signing we made that got your whelm from being under to over? I mean a signing that got you thinking "**** me that's a good one". That's not to say that the signings we have made have been received badly, not least because I know how the club tends to work and I greatly look forward to how they do. This season it is Redmond that interests me the most. But back to the question, for me, maybe Osvaldo came closest to the "**** me" signing, and we know how that worked out.

Fonte was the last for me. All other signings have not raised much of a reaction either way. Even VVD I had a few reservations about due to him coming down from a poor Scottish league

Fonte was the last for me. All other signings have not raised much of a reaction either way. Even VVD I had a few reservations about due to him coming down from a poor Scottish league

Which is sort of my point. People are saying they are underwhelmed and want us to splash the cash and sign someone exciting. We don't do that sort of thing - maybe we will in the future, but not since Kevin Keegan have we really pulled off a coup.

You seem incredibly confused. So you're moaning that we're not showing ambition and spending, yet you're disapointed as PL teams are spending silly money and that no one learned from Leicesters approach.

What exactly is it you want?

I'm saying that clubs are trying to buy the title by spending silly money. We'll never do that as we don't have the resources, but we do have the means to bring in a few players for the fans to get excited about. Personally I don't think we've done that or properly addressed the areas where we need to strengthen, and that includes the manager! Be honest. Do you think we're in better shape than we were this time last season?

There has been a few changes to technical and support staff behind the scenes over the last twelve months, which I have pointed out had an immediate impact on anything I heard from the club. I obviously cant speak/vouch for others but this may well also be the case for them.

I was told that under Nicola that the club once tried to plant a seed with regards to a signing, that of a particular Davide Astori at the time to sound out any 'leaks'.

Les Reed takes pride in the fact Saints keep their business in house and on the low down which this day and age is a battle itself with the ways agents conduct themselves, journo's and now social media. Which is interesting when you look at the likes of Liverpool, Everton etc who are happy to share this information before any deal is concluded and we scouff at them, yet seek to have the club be more open.

The last genuine snippet I was told and since shared was that contract extensions had been offered had to Tadic, Long, Mane, Victor and Steven.

The part in bold definitely resonates, which is why I wrote yesterday that I belive AR 10 to be genuine from what I have seen so far. When he wrote "

If the club don't want something out there, it doesn't get out there".

Whereas before I was able to leak the Bertrand signing a couple of hours beforehand, before even the press had a whiff, now the info is definitely 'leaked' to me in response to fan levels of happiness. And with greater provisos than seen in the past. For instance, I was not allowed to name Pied or McCarthy, just mention the imminent double signing. Contrast that with the manner in which I was able to detail the behind the scenes 'concerns' with Koeman at the beginning of the year. The latest transfer target, I was not allowed to name or even give the nationality. Definitely a tighter ship than in the past.

Once again we're reduced to this sort of ****ing nonsense. Grow up!

No one knows what's happening whilst like many dissapointed about replacements we get the same story from sir les we have options to cover the situation well this season could bite him in the arse

The part in bold definitely resonates, which is why I wrote yesterday that I belive AR 10 to be genuine from what I have seen so far. When he wrote "

Whereas before I was able to leak the Bertrand signing a couple of hours beforehand, before even the press had a whiff, now the info is definitely 'leaked' to me in response to fan levels of happiness. And with greater provisos than seen in the past. For instance, I was not allowed to name Pied or McCarthy, just mention the imminent double signing. Contrast that with the manner in which I was able to detail the behind the scenes 'concerns' with Koeman at the beginning of the year. The latest transfer target, I was not allowed to name or even give the nationality. Definitely a tighter ship than in the past.

Appreciate the updates. Could understand if you didn't considering some of the ingrates on here moaning about ITKs

Why would the club think the fans knowing a few hours in advance makes any notable difference? It ultimately doesn't matter if the fans find out about a signing in a leak at 5pm or 8pm when it is officially announced.

Interesting. Cheers Guan.

So is our latest transfer target another Pied/McCarthy type signing, where info is more guarded because the names involved are nothing to get too excited about?

Why would the club think the fans knowing a few hours in advance makes any notable difference? It ultimately doesn't matter if the fans find out about a signing in a leak at 5pm or 8pm when it is officially announced.

The earlier something is leaked, the more time there is for something to go wrong, surely you must see that?

My point was fans don't need to know in advance. There is no real benefit to them knowing in advance. I was asking why the club would bother letting them know a few hours in advance.

It's good PR to build up to an announcement so as to maximise exposure to fans and stoke excitement, as well as to keep control over the announcement process.

It's no coincidence that the club will often Tweet a 'teaser' before announcing a signing shortly afterwards.

My point was fans don't need to know in advance. There is no real benefit to them knowing in advance. I was asking why the club would bother letting them know a few hours in advance.

When have the club let us know a few hours in advance of a signing?

Guan, is the latest deal likely to get over the line?

In response to your post about the player being a left sided attacker, a few posters have been mentioning left footed players who don't really play on the left.

Did you mean than he is literally a left sided player but not left footed, left footed but usually plays elsewhere or both left sided and left footed?

Interesting insight :thumbup: Ta, as always.

Guan, is the latest deal likely to get over the line?

In response to your post about the player being a left sided attacker, a few posters have been mentioning left footed players who don't really play on the left.

Did you mean than he is literally a left sided player but not left footed, left footed but usually plays elsewhere or both left sided and left footed?

I love desperate ITK neediness season.

You're being spectacularly unimaginative again. Think of it as publicity and pacification: giving the fans a sense of community, generating interest, expectation and discussion, helping the bed-wetters and depressed as soon as possible, and why not? As long as the deal is over the line and signed we can know a bit before the official photographs and interview videos.

At the moment Guan et al. are just in pacification and reassurance mode. ;-)

Does not compute...

How the f*ck you function in the normal word baffles me to be honest, you must be almost constantly perplexed and frustrated about the nuances of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other issue is that posting on here is not letting the Saints fans know in advance, it's maybe letting 100 Saints fans know.

This forum has a hardcore (Trousers, batman, Shurlock ect) that spend all day every day on here but the forum is a very very small sample of the fanbase and really has very few members visiting everyday.

I don't think we have any genuine ITKs on here anymore, just a few guys that know an ITKS and get little snippets 90 minutes before the whole world is told...... Kinda pointless

suewhistle posted this on the Paul Mitchell thread:

Tottenham’s move for Georges-Kévin Nkoudou on brink of collapse:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/10/tottenham-georges-kevin-nkoudou-marseille-collapse

Georges-Kevin Nkoudou is a left sided attacker :suspicious:

Also from that article:

Tottenham could turn their attentions elsewhere, with Lille’s Sofiane Boufal having been linked in the past. However, with Mitchell having played a significant role in identifying targets, it remains to be seen whether they have an alternative in mind, meaning Njie and the Belgium forward Nacer Chadli could be forced to stay put.

#BoufalWatch

suewhistle posted this on the Paul Mitchell thread:

Georges-Kevin Nkoudou is a left sided attacker :suspicious:

Also from that article:

#BoufalWatch

Chadli happens to fit the bill of a left sided forward, who has to wait for the replacement. I'd be very pleased if it is him

I still have Jack Grealish being lined up to be signed soon. Fits well the left sides at taking player mentioned.

Saddened to see the club are odds on favorites with Hull for relegation this year. Almost as certain as Gary Monk getting the boot before the end of September.

I still have Jack Grealish being lined up to be signed soon. Fits well the left sides at taking player mentioned.

Saddened to see the club are odds on favorites with Hull for relegation this year. Almost as certain as Gary Monk getting the boot before the end of September.

Not sure what club you are talking about, but if it is Saints, then it is more bollicks from you. http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation

Troll harder

With Cellino, he will be lucky to see September unless they turn it around.

Just flicking through the last few pages or so and one or 2 posts certainly jump out.

The situation with this guy is best described as pretty precarious (at best), the circus around this guy from what

I know and have seen is pretty unbelievable all things considered, you'd think we were signing Lionel Messi the amount

of ping pong back and forth as far as what I'm aware of and what it's taken to get it to this point, around 18 months.

And we are NOT the only Premier League club in for him. (and we are in for more than one player, I'm expecting 2)

In short, anybody who comes out and out right names a player fall in to one of 3 brackets:

1. They've been authorised to release it, definitely after the player has signed, players can sign days

before it's released, especially at SFC.

2. A lucky guess.

3. Are not close enough to the club where the risk of "blow back" is anything above zero, so what they say probably means it's

category 2 (a lucky guess, friend of a friend of a friend) or some Journo got lucky.

It's risky, the club is a stone wall now, that might sound ridiculous but it is in no way an exaggeration.

I haven't said enough to drop myself and the club right in it but others have said a lot more than I would have, and most of what has been said

by them certainly "tallies" with everything I have seen, know and understand.

Just flicking through the last few pages or so and one or 2 posts certainly jump out.

The situation with this guy is best described as pretty precarious (at best), the circus around this guy from what

I know and have seen is pretty unbelievable all things considered, you'd think we were signing Lionel Messi the amount

of ping pong back and forth as far as what I'm aware of and what it's taken to get it to this point, around 18 months.

And we are NOT the only Premier League club in for him. (and we are in for more than one player, I'm expecting 2)

In short, anybody who comes out and out right names a player fall in to one of 3 brackets:

1. They've been authorised to release it, definitely after the player has signed, players can sign days

before it's released, especially at SFC.

2. A lucky guess.

3. Are not close enough to the club where the risk of "blow back" is anything above zero, so what they say probably means it's

category 2 (a lucky guess, friend of a friend of a friend) or some Journo got lucky.

It's risky, the club is a stone wall now, that might sound ridiculous but it is in no way an exaggeration.

I haven't said enough to drop myself and the club right in it but others have said a lot more than I would have, and most of what has been said

by them certainly "tallies" with everything I have seen, know and understand.

Cheers for the update, AR-10. 18 months? Interesting.

I've scratched Messi off the list.

#ITK_Watch