Ron Koeman

Saint Fan CaM

Another blue here.

Slightly disappointed to see that fans of two clubs with a recent history of being "the best of the rest" are being so hostile to each other. And not just Southampton fans, we're equally as guilty on our side.

Anyway, we've had many years of mediocrity and we're well used to being on the receiving end of poaching (think Moyes, Rooney, Fellaini, Lescott, etc).

Since Moshiri has invested in the club, there has certainly been a noticeable change in the ambition/clout of the board, promising big spending, etc. It's well documented that Moshiri has made certain promises which have enticed Koeman.

This is not to say Southampton lacks ambition, but rather Koeman is a dutch manager with no loyalty to the club, and well - it's a fickle game. Loyalty is not something which is at the forefront of the game we love anymore. It's a shame, but its part of the football business.

I hope Southampton bounce back in the same way you did after Pochetino, and see no reason why you won't. I think the smart money is on Ronald De Boer. Can't see Emery moving (promised increased funds at Sevilla) and Diego Simeone/Ancelotti is pipe dream stuff. Pellegrini is in the market, but is known to be after a final big pay day and seems a pretty uninspiring choice.

Anyway, good luck in the hunt and we'll see what happens with Koeman - we may end up having him poached off us in a year or two!

So basically you are saying he is going to Everton because they are paying him more. They were what was it about 16 points adrift of us, and up to a point in the relegation battle. Koemen didnt need big spending at saints and we came 6th. We dont need to 'bounce back' the manager is just a cog in our machine, Everton can spend all they like, it may mean nothing.

Anyone else now getting the feeling he's going to be staying? Just me probably.

If you are the only one in step, you may need to do a reappraisal..... But with the club quiet on the matter, it can't be totally ruled out, although I can't see how he could survive this. Obviously, we aren't the whole fan base on here, but we must be reasonably representative of what the fans think. I have the impression that he's burnt his boats with the supporters who wouldn't want a lame duck manager hanging on to the end of his contract. More likely that the club is silent because they don't want to jeopardise maximum compensation.

Another blue here.

Slightly disappointed to see that fans of two clubs with a recent history of being "the best of the rest" are being so hostile to each other. And not just Southampton fans, we're equally as guilty on our side..........

You wouldn't be disappointed if you hadn't logged onto our message board. I doubt if any Saints' fan invited Everton supporters to post on here, so the problem can easily be solved by you going away. Nothing said by Everton fans has any bearing on our discussions.

Adam Blackmore on Twitter: In midst of Koeman situation, worth #saintsfc fans remembering a number of players will be quite pleased to have a new coach

For someone who was almost universally hated, he got bloody good results

I expect Adam is just tweeting the club line for them.

Its great that Sam Gallagher, Jake Hesketh, Cedric and JWP are glad to see the back of Koeman but I am more bothered by what the likes of Bertrand, Forster, Van Dijk and Long think.

Good point, would like to know the split of those pleased by the departure and not. But we never will.

Ask yourselves....why does everyone want to leave Southampton?.....no one sees you as anything other than a small club from the South, why would you expect anything else?, your owners obviously are quite happy if they stay in the Premier, that's the limit of their ambition.....That's why players/ Managers leave you...more like a Wigan from the south, no history, no trophies except an FA Cup from the 70s and a Johnstone paints trophy...your not going to win anything,and yet your deluded fans or at least some on here think they are as big if not bigger than Everton....give your heads a wobble eh....you'd think you would have learn't by now this is how it is for your club...get back in your boxes and live with it...

Ask yourselves....why does everyone want to leave Southampton?.....no one sees you as anything other than a small club from the South, why would you expect anything else?, your owners obviously are quite happy if they stay in the Premier, that's the limit of their ambition.....That's why players/ Managers leave you...more like a Wigan from the south, no history, no trophies except an FA Cup from the 70s and a Johnstone paints trophy...your not going to win anything,and yet your deluded fans or at least some on here think they are as big if not bigger than Everton....give your heads a wobble eh....you'd think you would have learn't by now this is how it is for your club...get back in your boxes and live with it...

How's the Scott Dann transfer going?

What a nice chap you are.

If you're looking for delusion, look a bit closer to home. How's the Isco signing coming along?

#foreverintheshadow

I'll be generous 2/10

Where have I said anything untrue?.....Truth sometimes hurts...it's the nature of the game,we're all "stepping stones"....unless your Real or Barca....sometimes you have to be a bit realistic...

Anyone else now getting the feeling he's going to be staying? Just me probably.

Your not alone Patrick , . I have a similar inkling he may stay , so many rumours flying about saying he's signed for them, it's easy for fans on both sides to get carried away . But nothing concrete has materialised , just the rumours.

Whereas nobody leaves Everton for a bigger club:

Except Rooney

and Arteta

and Lescott

and Peinaar

and Rodwell

and Fellaini

about time to get something straight, Koeman is only joining you for £££££££££££££££££££. He and others turned you down until you were desperate then doubled and more his wages. Everton talk about history, and sing that joke song about it. You have played in the top division more than everyone but Arsenal, then look at what you have won and it is not much really. Liverpool are the big club in your area and dwarf you big time. You are at the 2nd level of big teams ( that is being kind). We are a large provincial club that you are on your knees to, begging for our manager. So go away and think about your situation, you are run by a bloke who directs musicals and looks like Elton John on steroids...period

Obviously didn't read the 2nd post Lighthouse?...."smash the glass ceiling" who know's if the Koeman thing comes off it's an upgrade on what we have had for a few years, but I don't think he's the best we could have gone for....He's a good safe manager to maybe take us to the next level, but why does your Club alow him to leave?.... if you all rate him, why has your Club not been ambitious enough to keep him ?......Ask yourself Lighthouse....how many from that list went on to do anything? Rooney & Lescott...we got great money for them all but the only 2 we didn't want to leave was Rooney & Lescott....times have now changed, we don't have to sell, we have the money to progress, new owners, new ground on the horizon....it's now looking at last to be a good future ahead....

Obviously didn't read the 2nd post Lighthouse?...."smash the glass ceiling" who know's if the Koeman thing comes off it's an upgrade on what we have had for a few years, but I don't think he's the best we could have gone for....He's a good safe manager to maybe take us to the next level, but why does your Club alow him to leave?.... if you all rate him, why has your Club not been ambitious enough to keep him ?......Ask yourself Lighthouse....how many from that list went on to do anything? Rooney & Lescott...we got great money for them all but the only 2 we didn't want to leave was Rooney & Lescott....times have now changed, we don't have to sell, we have the money to progress, new owners, new ground on the horizon....it's now looking at last to be a good future ahead....
lol , the club tried to keep Koeman but were not bloody stupid enough to offer him the wages of the 6 th highest manager in the world.

I'm disappointed but am well over him going to yours as there is a wealth of mangers who could do the same job. Pottichino was a real loss, as you could see a rapid improvement in average players, under Koeman we saw decent football but not exciting football. I would get ready or never having the same team 2 weeks running even after a win.

Why did we let him leave?

All I'm gonna say is £7m. I'm fairly certain with them sort of wages you cann attract better.

Moshiri, or whoever the ***** he is clearly thought getting Koeman would be killing two birds with one stone situation, but I think our board is looking to attract better.

Like to see what you think of Koeman next season if he has a 1 win in 10 slump... Yes he was a great manager for us who gave us European football twice, but reality is, money talks and that us why he left.

Also, 'We don't have to sell'... Would you like to explain why Lukaku/Stones are both going to go/looking to go/will go?

You have used up your three posts and all I can say is ***k off and goodbye.

Why did we let him leave?

All I'm gonna say is £7m. I'm fairly certain with them sort of wages you cann attract better.

Moshiri, or whoever the ***** he is clearly thought getting Koeman would be killing two birds with one stone situation, but I think our board is looking to attract better.

Like to see what you think of Koeman next season if he has a 1 win in 10 slump... Yes he was a great manager for us who gave us European football twice, but reality is, money talks and that us why he left.

Also, 'We don't have to sell'... Would you like to explain why Lukaku/Stones are both going to go/looking to go/will go?

You have used up your three posts and all I can say is ***k off and goodbye.

His writing style is very much in the Corp Ho manner

Where have I said anything untrue?.....Truth sometimes hurts...it's the nature of the game,we're all "stepping stones"....unless your Real or Barca....sometimes you have to be a bit realistic...

Would rather you used that post to comment on Scott Dann replacing Stones!

If he did end up staying for a third year without any extension which it seems isn't going to happen. Surely he wouldn't bring any of his personal player targets here anyway. He would just wait and go for them at his next club. I know saints will have their own players in mind but unless he extends I think he's done anyway. Hopefully it's all sorted soon so we can carry on like we have been.

'That makes little sense. Your squad isn't better than ours don't kid yourself. The reason you finished a few places higher than us is because you had a decent manager, we had a poor one.

That's why he was sacked and we're now taking your manager, because we can.

When Koeman has finished spending the "war chest" that our very nice new major shareholder is kindly supplying, our squad will urinate all over the squad that Koeman managed to get to 6th place with.

He'll be expected to do better than "7-8th place" that quote.'

I don't think Koeman knows what he is going into :lol:

I'm going to enjoy it so much when we finish above Everton again.

It must be really difficult for fans of other clubs to comprehend that losing our manager really isn't that much of a big deal to us anymore. You can't blame them, most other clubs are run in a trigger happy, chuck enough sh*t and some of it will stick kinda way. They can't get their head around the fact that a manager for us is just another employee, and we've probably had a Manager Shortlist in mind since the day Koeman joined. We'll see who has the last laugh. #wemarchon

I'm going to enjoy it so much when we finish above Everton again.

It must be really difficult for fans of other clubs to comprehend that losing our manager really isn't that much of a big deal to us anymore. You can't blame them, most other clubs are run in a trigger happy, chuck enough sh*t and some of it will stick kinda way. They can't get their head around the fact that a manager for us is just another employee, and we've probably had a Manager Shortlist in mind since the day Koeman joined. We'll see who has the last laugh. #wemarchon

I hope you're right heaven, but I think we will do well to equal last season's finish and you would expect the blue half to improve their position, and I say that irrespective of the Manager changes and the injection of money Everton seem to be on about.

What a delusional rant. No ambition, then why have we improved our league position the last seven years in a row? And just because you have a new shareholder doesn't mean everything is guaranteed to be rosy for you. Throwing money around never guarantees success! (As demonstrated by Liverpool, Manchester United, QPR, Newcastle.)

I don't care if I support a "small club," at least we are doing exciting things, not struggling in mid-table. Leicester would be called a "small club" aswell, by your reasoning. Punching above your weight is never a problem.

On another note, at least we are the biggest club in our city. :lol:

you have to ask yourselves, why does everyone leave everton?

Moyes, Rodwell, Arteta, Lescott, Fellaini, Lukaku, Stones. is it because to be middle of the premier league the limit of your ambition? that's why players/managers leave you...more like WBA in the north. You are not going to win anything yet some of your deluded fans think you are on an unstoppable march to titles and trophies. Give your heads a wobble. You'd think you would have learnt by now that £100m spend in a summer will mean very little. Liverpool, Arsenal, City, United, Chelsea probably Spurs will spend similar amounts (many will spend more) and all have better teams and better managers already. Could add west ham to that list to......get back in your mid-table box and live with it

Edited by Batman

I hope you're right heaven, but I think we will do well to equal last season's finish and you would expect the blue half to improve their position, and I say that irrespective of the Manager changes and the injection of money Everton seem to be on about.

TBF with the Europa league to contend with I doubt it would be possible anyway even if Koeman had stayed.

I think that you'll find that the vast majority of our fans are perfectly happy with our owner, our board and our ambition. Our club has enjoyed a meteoric rise from the third division up to 6th in the PL, improving our position year upon year. The way that we have gone about achieving this progression has been the subject of admiring articles in the more sensible media, suggesting that our model of sustainable growth is the way that a football club should be run. We are praised for our academy and the investment we have sunk into it and the players which it has produced are a testament to the efficacy of that policy. Instead of throwing silly money at players who are established stars, we rely on intensive research to identify players who have gone under the radar of the scouting system of the big clubs and when they prove to be really good players, if we have to sell them, it will only be for a stupidly huge profit and we then progress to repeat the operation.

We have already proven that this policy and the steady way that the board operates have made us more successful than Everton in the past couple of years and yet you are confident that you will break your glass ceiling by emulating the spend, spend, spend policy of your City neighbours, without being as big a draw as them for the best players. It seems to have escaped your notice that Leicester broke through their glass ceiling without spending a shed full of money, but because they had a squad of players who gelled together into a potent unit, inspired by a canny manager capable of getting them to believe in themselves and what they could achieve with some self-belief.

I am confident enough on the basis of our past prowess despite adversity to predict that we will finish above you at the end of this coming season. In the same way that we wondered how we would progress without Adkins and then without Pochettino, we will soon be wondering what the fuss was all about when it came to losing Koeman. And when we inevitably lose a couple of players for obscene transfer fees to bigger clubs than yours, we will soon be debating whether their replacements aren't indeed an improvement and that the squad is actually stronger than it was this past season.

But go ahead if you wish and believe that Koeman chooses to leave because of our lack of ambition rather than for the vastly inflated pay packet. It isn't a given that the more you pay a football manager the better the results he will achieve, so good luck with that assumption when it is put into practice.

Top post.

I'm assuming from your user name and your mild aggression that you have a very small ****.

Reminder to Everton fans, this part of the forum is for Saints fans and Saint Charlie. We'll tolerate objective questions, information snippets and fair comment but if you want to get involved in a barney please use another site.

We're quite capable of arguing amongst ourselves thank you.

Reminder to Everton fans, this part of the forum is for Saints fans and Saint Charlie. We'll tolerate objective questions, information snippets and fair comment but if you want to get involved in a barney please use another site.

Shame you don't use this more often when the usual culprits attack fellow Saints posters. Might save some from leaving here.

Good to see this reminder to intruders. To Forum members I suggest anyone irritated by them ignores those posts and stops responding. Always best not to feed the Trolls.

No we're not.

If Everton targeted another manager in the EPL do you think they too would of found it hard to keep theirs?

Start with Leicester and West Ham.

IMHO Answer is no as they see us as being weak.

Wonder is they will now target some of our players like Liverpool do?

Remember this - posted in January? Blue noses please take note before you start going on about glass-ceilings and lack of ambition.

Thanks for reposting. It's a shame that it went off the rails and no plan to mitigate against it.

Hopefully the board will learn and be true to their vision.

If Everton targeted another manager in the EPL do you think they too would of found it hard to keep theirs?

Start with Leicester and West Ham.

IMHO Answer is no as they see us as being weak.

Wonder is they will now target some of our players like Liverpool do?

Not really an equal comparison, both are far more revered at their clubs and both have a much brighter potential future than Saints (Champions League to play and Prem winner cash and Olympic stadium with tons of cash from the sale of Upton) .

Martin Samuel:

Saints past sell-by date for Koeman

Selling players catches up with every club eventually. Southampton may have defied gravity again this season but Ronald Koeman knows it cannot last. The process of renewal that takes place at the club every summer, with fine players leaving and fresh recruits arriving, cannot succeed indefinitely. Eventually, a mistake will be made, and Koeman has decided not to be around when it happens. That he is joining Everton, a club that finished 16 points and five places below Southampton last season, is telling.

Everton have been sellers, too, and may be again this summer if the right offer comes in for John Stones or Romelu Lukaku. Yet that would only put Koeman in the same position as when he joined Southampton. Five players were sold that summer, but the new manager simply used the money to construct his own team. He could do the same again at Everton. If Stones fetched £40m, say, Koeman might believe he could be adequately replaced for half that. Lukaku, Everton's top scorer, would be worth even more and Koeman will surely have received assurances about Everton's ambition, sale or no sale. At the very least he will get any transfer money to spend, plus more, and will be shopping at a different end of the market.

Southampton are a well-run club, offering Europa League football, but while they continue to sell each summer, they will remain a stepping stone rather than a final destination, for managers and players.

Honest question .....has there been any comment officially from either Southampton or Everton or direct quotes from RK yet ?

Beat me to it.

I did find it amazing that between 10ish and 7ish yesterday, about 500 posts were made on this subject despite no official comment having yet been made. It was a glorious sunny day yet folks were still bashing their keyboards like something significant had happened.