Euro 2016

Batman

What's the we bit - Christ on a bike its you Roy - your the manager, the team needs to be picked and play to your system. I despair. And people wonder why there are so many English fans that are disillusioned with the England set up.

I have never felt so distant from the national team. I used to like him pre Brazil but he just doesn't seem to get it anymore and panders to the press.

His selection of Jack Wheelchair is evidence.

A squad needs options and should have taken Townsend and Carroll.

Look how we finished the other night a formation that has always failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard an interesting debate on the radio yesterday with regard to Hodgson - if he goes, who would take over?

There's not really anyone out there at the moment that you could honestly say - he can do the job. And to be honest, who would actually want the poison chalice that is the England job?

I can't think of another national side that seems to have the problems England do.

Germany - always well drilled, always a goal threat. Even when they don't have a great squad you know they will be dangerous

Spain - I can't remember the last time they failed to put out a team that didn't do well in a cup competition

Italy - don't seem to give much of a f*ck but always seem to string together a fairly decent performance

France - just like the rugby, you never know which France you are going to get.

I just can't think of another national side that compares to the drama and the 'this time we'll do it' only to fail again of England.

The 'this is the tournament Rooney is going to come alive'

The selection policy that leaves out truly deserving players and takes out of form or injured players instead

The total lack of cohesion on the pitch that we see time and time again

The abject failure to get the damn ball in the net time after time

Just what is it going to take to get our national football side actually playing and winning against the top opposition?

Heard an interesting debate on the radio yesterday with regard to Hodgson - if he goes, who would take over?

There's not really anyone out there at the moment that you could honestly say - he can do the job. And to be honest, who would actually want the poison chalice that is the England job?

I can't think of another national side that seems to have the problems England do.

Germany - always well drilled, always a goal threat. Even when they don't have a great squad you know they will be dangerous

Spain - I can't remember the last time they failed to put out a team that didn't do well in a cup competition

Italy - don't seem to give much of a f*ck but always seem to string together a fairly decent performance

France - just like the rugby, you never know which France you are going to get.

I just can't think of another national side that compares to the drama and the 'this time we'll do it' only to fail again of England.

The 'this is the tournament Rooney is going to come alive'

The selection policy that leaves out truly deserving players and takes out of form or injured players instead

The total lack of cohesion on the pitch that we see time and time again

The abject failure to get the damn ball in the net time after time

Just what is it going to take to get our national football side actually playing and winning against the top opposition?

A manager with the balls to stop picking players from the fashionable clubs and shoe horning them into a system they donot know.

Play the inform players in the positions they normally play in at there clubs as someone has already said its not bloody rocket science.

I didn't see much clamour for Andy Carroll before the squad was picked, might as well say we should have taken Dave Beasant in goal to kick it long to him. 2 goals scored in what is one of the easiest groups in the tournament is pretty damning but it's a bit depressing that our only answer seems to be to throw on the big man for the last 10 minutes. I do wonder if we should be playing 3 at the back and in the absence of any decent wide players utilising our strength with the attacking FB options we have. Dier holding, get the Alli/Kane combo firing down the middle which leaves two slots for Rooney/Lallana/Wheelchair (memo to Roy, you can't play 'everybody'). I wouldn't start any pairing of Kane/Sturridge/Vardy, they don't play in a 2 for their clubs, they don't know how to play in a 2 and they mainly look like fish out of water when shunted out onto the wings, or they come into the middle and crowd each other out. We has so many players around the top of their box in the last 20 minutes they were acting more like defenders than attackers - cutting down the space and the passing options for the man with the ball.

Please no more Sterling or Henderson, poor selections and taking places that would have been better used by Drinkwater and Townsend. Hodgson's comments today just embarrassing, he might as well have stood on a chair and said we don't know what we're doing. But that's pretty obvious to anyone that has watched the games, this should all have been sorted months ago not scrambling around now for a Plan B. Maybe they should have taken horse face after all.

I don't think resting players was a problem if the focus was on what was best for our best XI. I.e. - maybe Walker and Rose could do with a break, and we had adequate replacements. However, I feel the inclusion of Wilshere and Henderson was not due to other midfielders needing a break, but rather Roy's desperation to get them involved. Tournament games (unless first place was secure) should never be used as a means of getting your players match fit.

The problem as I see it is that we don't seem to have a system that the players are familiar with. The formation changes depending on the players that we pick, but it should be the other way around. We should have a set up that suits how Roy (or hopefully someone else before long) wants us to play and pick the best players for each position. As it is we seem to keep chopping and changing to squeeze everyone in.

Then we get the press/fans clamouring for the latest Englishman to score a few goals to be thrown straight into the first team, disrupting any sense of continuity for the existing players. Don't get me wrong, we shouldnt ignore your Jamie Vardy levels of form, but too many caps are handed out for relatively short runs of form. There needs to be a better balance.

England should be run more like a club side. 2 players for each position, and you only bring someone new in if they're an improvement on an existing player. So what if your Marcus Rashfords don't get a cap till their mid twenties or even at all. It's up to the clubs to blood youth not the national team. We need the players who are at their peaks.

The problem as I see it is that we don't seem to have a system that the players are familiar with. The formation changes depending on the players that we pick, but it should be the other way around. We should have a set up that suits how Roy (or hopefully someone else before long) wants us to play and pick the best players for each position. As it is we seem to keep chopping and changing to squeeze everyone in.

Then we get the press/fans clamouring for the latest Englishman to score a few goals to be thrown straight into the first team, disrupting any sense of continuity for the existing players. Don't get me wrong, we shouldnt ignore your Jamie Vardy levels of form, but too many caps are handed out for relatively short runs of form. There needs to be a better balance.

England should be run more like a club side. 2 players for each position, and you only bring someone new in if they're an improvement on an existing player. So what if your Marcus Rashfords don't get a cap till their mid twenties or even at all. It's up to the clubs to blood youth not the national team. We need the players who are at their peaks.

Get out of my head.

Seconded on the Wilshere/Henderson thing. Neither should be anywhere near the squad.

I know Rooney has had a couple of good games so far but even he shouldn't be anywhere near the team. I definitely don't buy the 'we need experience' argument - his experience at Cup competitions for the national side has largely been a negative one.

I really think the football side have so much to learn from the rugby side where no player is guaranteed a place and you definitely don't get picked if you are injured.

Going to be very tough next Monday for England in Nice

Heatwave alert. Temperatures have risen to 35 C + and will rise further over the next 10 days.

No they haven't. It's been fairly mild in the Med recently and it's only 24 degrees in Nice right now, at the hottest time of day.

Wheb was the last time we smashed even a rubbish team at a tournament? 1996?

Ok so I had a quick look at the World Cup record for England.

1950 - knocked out in the group stages

1954 - knocked out by Uruguay in the Q/f

1958 - knocked out in the group stages

1962 - knocked out by Brazil in the q/f

1966 - won it

1970 - knocked out by Germany in the q/f

1974 - dnq

1978 - dnq

1982 - knocked out in the second round

1986 - q/f bloody Maradona

1990 - s/f out on penalties to West Germany

1994 - dnq

1998 - knocked out by Argentina in the round of 16

2002 - q/f knocked out by Brazil

2006 - q/f out on penalties to Portugal

2010 - absolutely schooled by Germany in the round of 16

2014 - knocked out in the group stages

I haven't even looked at the UEFA competition yet but tbh I don't think I need to because this shows it all in painful reality. Apart from a few flashes of brilliance our national side has never been any good at competition level. We have been consistently beaten by the sides who have often made it to the final. Until that trend is changed we will never see England raise any cups.

Spot on.

There's definitely a huge psychological block now with England. All the time we see really good players turn rubbish, goalscorers look like they've never scored before, and we all know what happens with penalties. Just a product of underachievement for so long, but they have to let go at some stage. Spain had years of it too before something clicked. We aren't as good as they became, but we're far, far better than we've shown in the last 20 years.

Yes that's my point. It's not that I'm expecting us to be the best, simply I want us to show the potential we have.

There's definitely a huge psychological block now with England. All the time we see really good players turn rubbish, goalscorers look like they've never scored before, and we all know what happens with penalties. Just a product of underachievement for so long, but they have to let go at some stage. Spain had years of it too before something clicked. We aren't as good as they became, but we're far, far better than we've shown in the last 20 years.

I dunno, the only time we have won anything is when we had home advantage. We're just not very good at it.

Absolutely, it's all anyone can do. This is why I get annoyed when after each tournament a lot of fans, pundits, sometimes even the FA suggest we're 'not good enough'. Until you've reached potential, that's irrelevant. You see teams we'd call not good enough perform well and do themselves proud every single tournament. Hungary 'aren't good enough' really, but they're all performing as well as possible and know their roles.

Indeed and I look at the current rugby union coach and how he has transformed that team and I wonder somethibg similar can't happen with the football team.

Am I right in saying any goal in any of these two games will lead to us avoiding Portugal ending up as runners up?

3-3

1-1

Yep, any goal now and we avoid Portugal. You just know that we'll go out to Portugal now.

Edited by iansums
Typo

Yep, any goal now and we avoid Portugal. You just know that we'll go out to Portugal now.

Portugal look leaky at the back. However, Ronnie looks to have found his form. It'll be a good game.

2-2 AET England out on pens. Damn!

Would have preferred Portugal who's defence is horrendous.

Iceland will be very defensive minded which is the sort of side we are strugglibg against.

Nah. We would lose to Portugal because a) we always do and b) CR would step up and c) our defence/goalkeeper would let him win.

Our record against nondescript teams in the second round/last 16 of tournaments is actually excellent - we only go out to big old recognised big nations. It's all good.