Euro 2016

Batman

Boring tournament featuring loads of tedious defensive performances. Can see more of the same in the knockouts as the lesser nations try to hold out for 120 minutes and have a crack at the pens (and no doubt succeed if they happen to be playing us).

Part of the problem by having 3rd placed teams qualify, teams will think they can qualify with 3 draws. If two were going through then Slovakia would have had a go last night, instead with 20mins to go they take off an attacking player and bring on a center half.

I'm hoping now we're in to the knock outs we'll come up against a team that does not just play for a draw.

England aren't good enough to break down teams that park the bus, and we'll get smashed by any half decent team who go on the attack. So very boring watching the same old predictable performance. Why on earth did he take Lallana off? He was one of the only players making things happen.

Lallana has shown zero prospect of playing a telling pass or scoring a goal. That's why he went off.

His effete running style and ostentatious Cruyff turns make it look like he's contributing a lot - and, in fairness, his work rate and movement has been good - but he has fluffed his lines at every crucial moment for three games running.

I don't understand why Rashford wasn't used last night. Against Wales he stretched their back-line and created a lot of space by beating his man. Kane for Sturridge was pointless.

Anyway, we got through the group. The third-place qualification route is causing a lot of defensive play. Had Slovakia needed to win, rather than draw, we would have created more chances, I suspect.

If we can make it through the next round it will be interesting to see how we do against one of the better sides in the tournament.

Part of the problem by having 3rd placed teams qualify, teams will think they can qualify with 3 draws. If two were going through then Slovakia would have had a go last night, instead with 20mins to go they take off an attacking player and bring on a center half.

I'm hoping now we're in to the knock outs we'll come up against a team that does not just play for a draw.

Agreed, in each of our three games our opponents have been quite happy to sit back. Our finishing has been poor though.

In hindsight that game was for Kane to lead the line and not Vardy. Vardy will be good leading the line against teams that push up obviously with his pace, Kane Ideal for the teams that sit back.

Roy was expecting Slovakia to go for the win to guarantee qualification, they sadly did not.

Henderson and Wilshere shouldn't start another game again this tournament but we're through and they and all our fullbacks have had a run out. Everyone was raving about Walker but personally still think Clyne is the better option. Bertrand didn't have his best game, so Rose will probably keep his place.

Roy's sub's were somewhat ineffective and too early IMO and we actually looked worse after they happened. Only player who made an impact was Alli, Would of kept Lallana on with Alli as they are the ones with that x factor, something different than anyone else in the AM positions.

last 16 line up

-------------Hart-------------

Clyne-Smalling-Cahill-Rose

-------Rooney---Dier---------

Lallana------Alli---------Vardy

------------Kane-------------

If it's Portugal though, would keep Kane on the bench and play Milner on the left or right with Vardy's pace up front as Portugal will actually go for the win. The other 3 probably won't (Austria might but unlikely to come 2nd)

Edited by Saint IQ

Does anybody else think crossing the ball is a dying art? In all the games I've watched in this tournament the ability to put crosses onto this box has be woeful. Either they don't beat the first defender or the sail right over everyone and out of play on the other side. When someone does occasionally put a good cross in no one from their team seems to make the effort to get on the end of it.

Not just the crossing, what happened to the first-time cross or shot? Throughout the Premier League these days everybody wants to take a touch first which only gives the defender time to make a block. If Sturridge had taken that chance of his with his right foot instead of trying to bring the ball down then the whole evening could have been different.

Not just the crossing, what happened to the first-time cross or shot? Throughout the Premier League these days everybody wants to take a touch first which only gives the defender time to make a block. If Sturridge had taken that chance of his with his right foot instead of trying to bring the ball down then the whole evening could have been different.

van Gaal actually dropped players for shooting first time and not taking a touch as he had instructed them to do.

Totally agree and that is where our players are just not technical enough (their first touch is generally poor). I was screaming about sturridge not taking it first time on his right foot.

Remember the glorious brand of one-touch football Saints played in the halcyon days of the early 80s? Technical in the utmost but also incisive like a rapier. An alternative way to deploy consummate skills as opposed to the modern tika-taka boredom, and the pressing game it invites from opposition.

Lallana's finishing and pace are the two things that separate him from those at the very top of the game, he has looked really good so far this tournament but has been let down by his horrific form in front of goal! In this tournmanet at least he seems to be a slow version of Ronaldo who also doesn't seem able to find the goal!

Ryan suffered In the second half last night because he didn't get a decent pass in the entire 45 minutes. There were a number of times where he went on a run in both the first and second half and the player in possession turned away from him. Only Lallana gave him any cover in the first half, and when Sturridge and Lallana switched at the start of the second half he was like Billy no mates.

Clyde did well. Other than the Vardy chance we didn't look like scoring, I thought from where I was sat high up on the half way line that Clyne was fouled just before he shot for his chance near the end, what did the TV show?

Ryan suffered In the second half last night because he didn't get a decent pass in the entire 45 minutes. There were a number of times where he went on a run in both the first and second half and the player in possession turned away from him. Only Lallana gave him any cover in the first half, and when Sturridge and Lallana switched at the start of the second half he was like Billy no mates.

Clyde did well. Other than the Vardy chance we didn't look like scoring, I thought from where I was sat high up on the half way line that Clyne was fouled just before he shot for his chance near the end, what did the TV show?

The Wayne Bridge effect.

The 24-team format has made the tournament boring sh*te.

Kind of agree. Why don't they simply let the top 32 European teams in the FIFA rankings enter (so less qualifying matches) and have 8 groups. Top 2 go through to a round of 16. Simple as ****.

He got cleaned out as he was shooting, but seemingly because he got the shot away it got overlooked. Definite pen for me.

That's how I saw it, Dier was the worst culprit for ignoring Bertrand and running up blind alleys. Felt sorry for Ryan last night with that and Hoddle doing his best to destroy his credibility whilst failing to mention the shortcomings of Dier, Sturridge, the woeful Wilshere, Henderson, Rooney spraying the ball into touch.

That's how I saw it, Dier was the worst culprit for ignoring Bertrand and running up blind alleys. Felt sorry for Ryan last night with that and Hoddle doing his best to destroy his credibility whilst failing to mention the shortcomings of Dier, Sturridge, the woeful Wilshere, Henderson, Rooney spraying the ball into touch.

The 24-team format has made the tournament boring sh*te.

Yes, totally agree.

Here's a fact for you:

There will be more matches at Euro 2016 than there were at Euro 1960, Euro 1964, Euro 1968, Euro 1972, Euro 1976, Euro 1980 and Euro 1984 combined (51 to 50).

(http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-game-in-numbers-euro-inflation-at-france-finals-2072sx9jz)

And a view from CNN: "Euro 2016: Quantity, not quality?"

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/17/football/euro-2016-expansion-24-teams-mendieta-ancelotti/

Kind of agree. Why don't they simply let the top 32 European teams in the FIFA rankings enter (so less qualifying matches) and have 8 groups. Top 2 go through to a round of 16. Simple as ****.

16 teams is by far enough, too many no-hopers in this tournament, not to mention it dragging on for a month thus putting

players who participate in the later stages beyond the start of pre-season with their clubs. I hope UEFA are giving out big chunks of money to clubs who are suffering from this waste of time. I mean look at the Ukraine and Russia, they have brought nothing positive to the tournament except a couple of extra games providing paydays for UEFA.

NB Why is the forum so slow at times ? I mean it's like meltdown slow on occasions.

Edited by Window Cleaner

16 teams is by far enough, too many no-hopers in this tournament, not to mention it dragging on for a month thus putting

players who participate in the later stages beyond the start of pre-season with their clubs. I hope UEFA are givinhg out big chunks of money to clubs who are suffering from this waste of time. I mean look at the Ukraine and Russia, they have brought nothing positive to the tournament except a couple of extra games providing paydays for UEFA.

if there were only 16 teams we wouldnt have the Welsh story or N.I

if there were only 16 teams we wouldnt have the Welsh story or N.I

Up to them to qualify to be part of the 16. No time for mini international teams myself. Wales might have qualified anyway.

In fact didn't Northern Ireland win their group ? Wales were second I know.

Edited by Window Cleaner

My Impression of the game first was that it was incredibly boring and uninspiring. I though a Rooney less England would be better. But was sadly disappointed mainly because the replacements came from "big clubs" that are either bit part players or clubs that are big only in historic reputation. Everything good we did came through Clyne, and all the attackers seemed to want to join him over on the right which then squeezed his space to be effective. Betrand didn't have a great night but he had no support with both wide players electing to play on the right for most of the game. There were few incisive balls, quick breaks and they kept pulling it back when there was space instead of taking a chance. Slovakia would give it back to you anyway so why worry about losing possession? All they did was allow them to regroup. If they are parking the bus, why not press them they do get possession, instead of just allowing them to kick it out, reorganize and you have to do it all over again? The first half stat after about 35 minuets of 66% possession and 3 attempts said it all.

I watched Chile demolish a good Mexico side at the weekend. They didn't need to put 7 past them but they were ruthless and relentless in a way I have never seen England play, and that is why we will limp out of this thing again.

I like the 24 team format. There have been relatively few 0-0 draws, no more than you would get at a 32 team World Cup. Some of the so called 'minnows' have put on great displays. Take Iceland and Albania for example. I don't think a lot have teams have 'parked the bus', and once it get's to the final 16 teams you'll have plenty of the bigger teams doing that anyway and taking their chances on penalties!

I'm still bewildered that the FA gave the job to Woy in the first place.

Always been a negative coach, and is definitely second rate when compared to the likes of Venables, Robson and Clough.

Give the job to Bilic.

At the time I was pleased that Redknapp didn't get the job, in fact I thought it was hilarious. The press and pundits seemed to be so against Hodgson for having the temerity to not be 'arry, that I felt sorry for him and really hoped he'd prove them wrong. But....when he failed to offer his resignation after the World Cup that was it for me. He should have gone then. I can only think that the FA kept him because they hadn't got anyone else. If they are going to stay English who will be his replacement? Neville?

I'm sitting in Paris having a bite to eat, absolutely drained - we sang & bounced about for hours. That was a 1-0 battering handed out by the Germans. McGovern in nets was immense though. Even I though have got problems with a team losing 2 of their 3 group games & still going through. Just need to work out if I can afford to come back at the weekend for the French game.

I imagine the Spanish would have rather they rotated 6 players in the squad if they were going to lose or draw.

Cue all the pundits having to remove their tongues from the Spanish paella.

England aren't looking so ****ing shabby now are we - you smug bunch of England hating ****s that this thread contains. Hahahha hahahha

I'm sitting in Paris having a bite to eat, absolutely drained - we sang & bounced about for hours. That was a 1-0 battering handed out by the Germans. McGovern in nets was immense though. Even I though have got problems with a team losing 2 of their 3 group games & still going through. Just need to work out if I can afford to come back at the weekend for the French game.

Don't worry about the money just do it. Such things don't come round often.

Just don't go to Amiga loans

The tournament is hotting up now. Croatia beating Spain has really thrown the cat among the pigeons. Any team could win this now, even England.

One quirky fact, there was a huge popular demand to include 35-year-old Athletic Bilbao striker, Aritz Aduriz, in the Spanish squad, and Del Bosque admitted he had included him because of public pressure. He came on as a sub tonight and was fairly anonymous. We'll see him at St Mary's on August 7 unless he has retired by then.

Ahh well you have to beat at least one decent team to win a tournament..

Or we could lose in the semi's to Germany and make a documentary about it twenty years later on how it was an exciting squad and we would have beaten Croatia/Belgium in the final.

I imagine the Spanish would have rather they rotated 6 players in the squad if they were going to lose or draw.

England aren't looking so ****ing shabby now are we - you smug bunch of England hating ****s that this thread contains. Hahahha hahahha

But as a result of our poor efforts in a very moderate Group it now looks like We are in the half of the draw that contains Italy Spain France Germany Portugal Austria and Slovakia

Whilst Wales are in the Half with Croatia Switzerland Northern Ireland Hungary Brlgium and Poland

Looks like Woy has missed a great opportunity!

We are in the half of the draw that contains Italy Spain France Germany Portugal Austria and Slovakia

Whilst Wales are in the Half with Croatia Switzerland Northern Ireland Hungary Brlgium and Poland

Only if Hungary beat Portugal.

Personally, I expect us to be playing Hungary as runners up of group F. Hopefully even Roy can muddle his way through that one.

PMSL can't wait for us to get well and truly teabagged in the 1/4 finals against a vaguely competent team and laugh my tits off at you.

English football is in the stone age and has been for a while now.

******** to England.

Come on you Saints.

that idiot Roy has said 'we have still yet to decide what our best system is'

he really has no idea what he is doing and is making it up as he goes.

but why on earth was he allowed to stay in the job after the world cup??