Saints sign Tella

Danbert

1 hour ago, st alex said:

He still has 12 months on his contract, so if he doesn't extend it I imagine we'd sell him for a fee this summer rather than let him leave for free next summer.

The last news story for him on the official site shows June 2020 as when his contact finishes.

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Yes a bit of a surprise he was given his debut unless that was part of the deal to induce him to sign?

I imagine the reason he doesn't want to sign a new contract is he feels he is not progressing here - debut was to show that if he knuckles down and works hard he will indeed get chances in the first team. Whether this tactic works remains to be seen. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Interesting to listen to Ralph's thoughts on Tella in today's pre-match press conference. 

He says that he thinks Tella is much more suited to being a No.9 than a No.10 and that he reckons he can "have some fun with him" in that position. 

So, sounds like were moulding him into a more central/advanced striker than an attacking midfielder. Seems like a good plan given his 4 goals in the last B team game!

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, trousers said:

Interesting to listen to Ralph's thoughts on Tella in today's pre-match press conference. 

He says that he thinks Tella is much more suited to being a No.9 than a No.10 and that he reckons he can "have some fun with him" in that position. 

So, sounds like were moulding him into a more central/advanced striker than an attacking midfielder. Seems like a good plan given his 4 goals in the last B team game!

That makes 6 strikers not including Theo.  An Obafemi loan move might happen in January? 

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

That makes 6 strikers not including Theo.  An Obafemi loan move might happen in January? 

If Obafemi does go out on loan, It would be the end of him as a Saint.  Ralph said last week, they have no interest in loaning players out who they think will go on to play regularly for the first team.

The same reason that Sims and Hesketh are out on loan...it's done to get them a move.

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

If Obafemi does go out on loan, It would be the end of him as a Saint.  Ralph said last week, they have no interest in loaning players out who they think will go on to play regularly for the first team.

The same reason that Sims and Hesketh are out on loan...it's done to get them a move.

Yup!  He’s currently 5th or 6th choice.

9 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Would add even more joy to this already fantastic season so far if we see the emergence of Tella and N’Lundulu in this team. Both look really promising, and bring attributes that suit our game, so fingers crossed for them both. 

would also save us a load of cash if they can both push to be a striker over the next season, particularly if Ings does go (which I obviously hope does not happen). But nevertheless,having those two progressing and acting as pressure/back-up is more appealling to me than Long and Obefemi. Walcott (as much as he may of wanted to be a striker) is more the no.10 as Ralph is saying quite often, along with Redders, Armstrong and Moussa. Things looking exciting and quite strong. 

31 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Yup!  He’s currently 5th or 6th choice.

Which has come as a surprise to nobody frankly. His limitations have been evident for a long time even in the 'stiffs'

He's had many chances to make a mark in the first team but just doesn't seem to have been able to raise his game or work-rate to the levels demanded by Ralph. 

53 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

There is clearly an issue with Obafemi. For any manager to publicly call out a young player on their lack of professionalism suggests that he has ongoing issues. Now he's right down the pecking order after being a starter coming back from lockdown. 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

There is clearly an issue with Obafemi. For any manager to publicly call out a young player on their lack of professionalism suggests that he has ongoing issues. Now he's right down the pecking order after being a starter coming back from lockdown. 

Also shows how hard it is to effectively learn your trade in the PL. He probably needs a loan move to play 90mins every week and find some form. He is obviously a talent, but needs game time and we can't give him that.

Should start every B team game at the very least, but the fact those are now often weekend means he can't then be on the bench for the first team.

Just now, Dusic said:

Also shows how hard it is to effectively learn your trade in the PL. He probably needs a loan move to play 90mins every week and find some form. He is obviously a talent, but needs game time and we can't give him that.

Should start every B team game at the very least, but the fact those are now often weekend means he can't then be on the bench for the first team.

If Obafemi is nowhere near the first team for whatever reason, what's the point of him taking a spot in the B team that'd keep N'Lundulu, Tella or an emerging player like Mitchell sharp? If his attitude/professionalism is the issue, he needs to address that or ship out.

54 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Yes it's not easy, but he's started quite a few games, it's seems it's not an ability issue or a lack of opportunity, it's that his manager has now referenced his professionalism in public more than once. 

23 hours ago, egg said:

If Obafemi is nowhere near the first team for whatever reason, what's the point of him taking a spot in the B team that'd keep N'Lundulu, Tella or an emerging player like Mitchell sharp? If his attitude/professionalism is the issue, he needs to address that or ship out.

Obafemi has potential of 81 on the latest Fifa, compared with Tella only having 74 and N'Lundulu having 70.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Obafemi has potential of 81 on the latest Fifa, compared with Tella only having 74 and N'Lundulu having 70.

I'm not interested in what a kids game says.

Ralph has questioned Obafemi's professionalism, and he's slipped down the pecking order. The B team is there to help players develop for the benefit of the first team. If Obafemi isn't in Ralph' s plans for whatever reason, then give the place in the B team to someone who is. 

• Like 2

On 16/12/2020 at 12:32, egg said:

I'm not interested in what a kids game says.

Ralph has questioned Obafemi's professionalism, and he's slipped down the pecking order. The B team is there to help players develop for the benefit of the first team. If Obafemi isn't in Ralph' s plans for whatever reason, then give the place in the B team to someone who is. 

Spot on. Obafemi has had a lot of chances and Ralph has questioned his professionalism more than once, suggests an ongoing problem. He’s got a bit about him but as we’ve seen with many many players talent isn’t enough at the top level 

On 16/12/2020 at 13:02, SirWoody said:

I hear that he is a very cocky individual and this has got him into hot water with the club.

No wonder he is way down the pecking order 

I have no inside information, but this wouldn't surprise me. From his Instagram posts I've often got the impression that he thinks a lot of himself. Admittedly, I haven't seen many such posts in recent months, so maybe that is something that he has been told to work on.

I think he is clearly talented , but needs to buckle down and get out of the mindset that he has "made it". I appreciate he is a slightly different build to most footballers too, but I suspect he could also work on his fitness a bit.

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

How did he play today?

No threat, no real intelligence in his play, no strength or ability to hold it up.

He offered nothing. Want to start seeing something from him, but in all the games I've seen him so far he's shown absolutely nothing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

No threat, no real intelligence in his play, no strength or ability to hold it up.

He offered nothing. Want to start seeing something from him, but in all the games I've seen him so far he's shown absolutely nothing.

The toughest of games to come into so not sure he can be blamed. What I wonder is how does Ralph thinks he's ready?!

Just now, BotleySaint said:

The toughest of games to come into so not sure he can be blamed. What I wonder is how does Ralph thinks he's ready?!

Not blaming him at all, but you kinda want to see some impact from subs - no matter who they come on against.

I'm not just referring to this game either, he's come on a few times now and I don't know what he offers. He might be quick, but he doesn't seem to have the positional intelligence to use it.

• Like 1

We were in the ground early so watched the warm ups. Tella's shooting wasn't great, a couple of misshit ones and a couple too close to the keeper. Compared to other players his technique seemed a bit, how shall I say it, immature. N'Lundulu can whack a ball although he is about twice Tella's size. 

A lot of other players were smashing balls in the corners which was a big change from the last time I watched us warm up away at Fulham when the crowd were more in danger of being hit than the back of the net was. 

• Like 1

On 16/12/2020 at 16:00, Jeremy Corbyn said:

It suggests we should be building our team around him.

Hello - winkles FIFA isn’t real!! It is a computerised game that has no room for emotion or random acts of any emotion - whatever spews out of it is only based on facts input into it - you can guarantee there isn’t an input field for being a complete Cockwomble or Bellend.

(jezza mate that’s not aimed at you just the “FIFA” thing in general).

• 5 months later...
55 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

not much competition tbf.

Agreed. I'm willing to be shot down here, but I don't think he'll have a long Premier League career. He has some good attributes: pace and work-rate, but you need much more than that in this league.

I think his technical quality, first touch, decision making and composure aren't good enough. They could improve, but at 22 that is less likely. Oxlade-Chamberlain, for example, was a superior player aged 17.

It's seems like a Josh Simms situation to me, but I hope I'm proved wrong and it's just my opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Mikey said:

Agreed. I'm willing to be shot down here, but I don't think he'll have a long Premier League career. He has some good attributes: pace and work-rate, but you need much more than that in this league.

I think his technical quality, first touch, decision making and composure aren't good enough. They could improve, but at 22 that is less likely. Oxlade-Chamberlain, for example, was a superior player aged 17.

It's seems like a Josh Simms situation to me, but I hope I'm proved wrong and it's just my opinion.

Honestly I agree to an extent. Has definitely been a bright spark to the season but people calling for him to play every game and thinking the result would be different are deluded. 

He had the potential to be a brilliant player, and I hope he will be, but he has a lot to work on especially with his end product - and sometimes players just aren’t capable to improving that side of their game. Fingers crossed he can but it could go either way in my view.