Michael Obafemi - Official: Signs for Swansea

SuperSAINT

14 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I guess you would have seen a fair bit of Balogun whilst watching Jankewitz in the U18s and U23s.

Nah. I'm just a bored illinformed punter posting hunches on an internet message board. Never assume any of my posts are underpinned by any footballing intellect :)

I see a young player with pace at the moment, but don't see the rest of the "potential" others talk of.

If hedging bets, I'd look to loan him for a season to somewhere he'll get game time. Doubt he'll play much more at Villa or WBA than he would for us. 

I think he's been quite a challenge for Ralph, in a tactical sense and a physical sense.

He's got a very unique body type, lots of upper body strength and lots of power in movement. Because of that he needs to look after himself a lot more than other players, something I don't believe he has been too good at (hence the injuries and strains etc).

It's probably Ralph's call. If he feels he's now getting somewhere with him, he may want to keep him. If he's still as frustrating as ever to coach, he may feel like it's worth letting him go and using that money to replace him with the Arsenal lad.

I wonder if question marks over his commitment are driving a possible sale.

There's been previous issues with his diet and he certainly doesn't seem to carry out instructions on the field, seemingly happy to jog around rather than get properly involved in the pressing game which completely falls apart if one player doesn't do it correctly.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

I guess you would have seen a fair bit of Balogun whilst watching Jankewitz in the U18s and U23s.

Strengths? Weaknesses? Why don't Arsenal seem overly botheree to let him go in your view?

Why are you so grumpy? 

Cheer yourself up & post one of your threads about memories of Marcelo Sarmiento. (& I don’t mean that in a shitty way).

With Matt Targett going for £15m, there's surely no chance Obafemi goes for £10m. I'd value him at £20m+ in today's market and I'm very much of the mindset that he still has a lot to prove in terms of his impact on a match when starting which is mostly down to his poor movement off the ball and a hit and miss first touch. But, he does have pace, is a forward, potential, two years on his contract and the goals against Chelsea and Man United show there's something there. I'm happy with him as a backup.

This is also a club who spent £22m on Wesley, who didn't have a particularly good scoring return in Belgium and £20m on Tyrone Mings and from what I'm seeing COVID hasn't had an impact on transfer fees as alluded to prior.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

With Matt Targett going for £15m, there's surely no chance Obafemi goes for £10m. I'd value him at £20m+ in today's market and I'm very much of the mindset that he still has a lot to prove in terms of his impact on a match when starting which is mostly down to his poor movement off the ball and a hit and miss first touch. But, he does have pace, is a forward, potential, two years on his contract and the goals against Chelsea and Man United show there's something there. I'm happy with him as a backup.

This is also a club who spent £22m on Wesley, who didn't have a particularly good scoring return in Belgium and £20m on Tyrone Mings and from what I'm seeing COVID hasn't had an impact on transfer fees as alluded to prior.

Not having a go - it's all about opinions at the end of the day after all, but I can't see how MO is worth anywhere near 20M? I would take 10M for him and 8M for Reed, and if Bednerak can be shifted for 10M, then get Hinterlagger (or whatever his name is) and I think we would be sorted. MO will not be a regular in our team anytime soon (not less than 3 years at minimum). A decent box to box MF would be cherry on top, but none of the one's mentioned so far, and I think we would be priced out of a decent upcoming one. Would take a punt on Ramsey on a pay per play deal (yea get he's not our profile and all that, but for a year or two he would be good and might coach WS etc.)

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Unfortunately I have never seen anything that matches up with his tremendous ego

He's quick and strong, doesn't have any particularly fantastic technical traits, is unable to look after himself off the field or follow on field instructions very well on it

If someone wants to offer 10m or so, give or take, then I'd happily take the gamble that he isn't going to make it at the top level

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

15 million plus and obafemi can go... Failed to deliver on any potential 

No-one is going to pay £15m plus for him, when he has a year left on his contract. 

I agree, I would sell though - don't think he's going to make it at the top level. 

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

He’s still so young, I wouldn’t be adverse to him signing an extension and going out on loan for the season. He’s got something, but needs to play most weeks IMO. 

I’d go with this.  20 is crazily young.

If he scored loads in championship, it would do him the world of good.

2 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Unfortunately I have never seen anything that matches up with his tremendous ego

He's quick and strong, doesn't have any particularly fantastic technical traits, is unable to look after himself off the field or follow on field instructions very well on it

If someone wants to offer 10m or so, give or take, then I'd happily take the gamble that he isn't going to make it at the top level

What ego? I don't mean to pick holes I have just never heard evidence of him being especially egotistical.

Harry Kane had four loans before he got his chance for Spurs. 

It would be silly to let him go cheaply, IMO. As others have said, he's not 25, he's only 20. If he's happy to sign an extension then get him on loan to the Champ for a season and see how he does. He's got raw attributes but needs to show he can apply himself mentally over a season and dig in for a team when needed. 

6 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

He’s still so young, I wouldn’t be adverse to him signing an extension and going out on loan for the season. He’s got something, but needs to play most weeks IMO. 

Yep. There's a player in there. Pace, reasonable touch, good on the turn, strong, can finish. He needs a run of games somewhere and could do very well. 

3 hours ago, TWar said:

What ego? I don't mean to pick holes I have just never heard evidence of him being especially egotistical.

There’s plenty of stories out there about him unfortunately, of course, not all of these may be true so Id apologise if Ive harshly judged that aspect too soon

However, ability wise Im not personally optimistic. Of course, it’s probably worth a loan first however, for the right fee it makes sense to let him go

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Certainly think he has more about him than Nlundulu.

By a long distance. I don't see what N'lundulu offers other than size. His 1st touch is awful, and he's quite a bit older than Obafemi. 

• Like 1

Give him a two year extension then loan him out for the season. He has the raw attributes of pace and strength but technically needs some refining. I think there's plenty of potential and room for improvement there but he needs regular football. Would be disappointed to see him leave on a free next year.

7 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

How is he unable to look after himself? Have I missed something?

14 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

How is he unable to look after himself? Have I missed something?

Didn't Ralph quite publicly call him out for lack of professionalism and fitness?

• Like 1

Sell him. Better to get 5 to 10m now than worry about whether we have "let one go". We won't have. He will turn into a journeyman of Akinfenwe stylee...very bulky up top and powerful runner. Lower league career I expect. 

3 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Sell him. Better to get 5 to 10m now than worry about whether we have "let one go". We won't have. He will turn into a journeyman of Akinfenwe stylee...very bulky up top and powerful runner. Lower league career I expect. 

When do Swansea's parachute payments run out?  Not sure they'll be spending that kind of cash?

10 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

When do Swansea's parachute payments run out?  Not sure they'll be spending that kind of cash?

Not aware of any link to Swansea. Just think he should be sold. As with a few others😂

• 1 month later...
On 08/06/2021 at 22:30, SuperSAINT said:

This is the third and final year of payments. They have received £42.6m, then £34.9 and this year it's down to roughly £15m.

They spent less than £500,000 in year one (£35m in), £2m in year two (£14m in) and £1.8m so far this (£0 in).

They wont be spending big on Obafemi.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Michael Obafemi - Official: Signs for Swansea