Michael Obafemi - Official: Signs for Swansea

SuperSAINT

4 hours ago, captainchris said:

Come on, Antonio was a decent player when he was with us and far superior.

Antonio was a pacy but extremely raw player for us in league one..oba had similar traits but has only played in the premier league. So not sure it’s clear Antonio was better at this stage?

i just think it’s a bit strange the treatment of oba here he was ahead of che even for a while and now he’s not even worth 2m?

Tella stepping up probably didn’t help his cause - blistering pace, football intelligence and possibly more receptive to instruction. Ralph said at the outset the MO was a stone that needed polishing, obviously he wasn’t coming up quite as well as he hoped.

With regard to pace - read on the weekend that so far Armstrong A has been clocked as the fastest player in the league this season.

• 2 months later...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/he-needs-better-disappointed-russell-22091166

Seems like we were right to get rid. Shame, as he had raw ability with his pace and looked like he could be something when he scored against Chelsea. However, something's not right off the pitch. Ralph called him out on his professionalism in public a couple of times and now it's happening again at Swansea. I don't think they're going to have much luck either.

32 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/he-needs-better-disappointed-russell-22091166

Seems like we were right to get rid. Shame, as he had raw ability with his pace and looked like he could be something when he scored against Chelsea. However, something's not right off the pitch. Ralph called him out on his professionalism in public a couple of times and now it's happening again at Swansea. I don't think they're going to have much luck either.

He was always a little overrated on here. I remember people calling for him to start over Adams. He had pace and was an OK finisher but that was about it. Combined with constant injury issues we did very well get get rid and get money for him. Wish him the best though as he seemed a good lad. 

I always got the impression (admittedly based on  nothing other than his Instagram account) that he was far more interested in modeling, "influencing" and endorsing random products than he was on football. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that his attitude isn't quite right.

Swansea forum not holding back. I thought getting away from the SE/London lifestyle and social media bubble might help his focus although I wonder if he should have joined Rovers and Mowbray instead, an old school manager who would have gotten him into shape. Russel Martin clearly trying to help the player but sometimes it needs an older head 

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/56208

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/278611/michael-obafemi-grow-up-and-start-respecting-our-club/#17

Ralph had pulled him up before on his standards and focus but seemed to improve tail end of last season. Shows you how far standards at the club had fallen before Ralph and Crocker got hold of it. Michael’s lack of application is sadly reflective of the complacent, rudderless and wasteful mentality present throughout all levels post Ronald until recently when you can see improvement again. 

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Wasn’t there rumours he in with Lemina and his brother who were keener to party than play Footie.

Yes if he spent less time doing silly dances and more time focusing on his job then he might still have a decent career. I get the impression, like Lemina, hes' one of those that likes the footballers lifestyle but doesn't actually want to play football that much.

3 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

I expect he'll buck his standards up in response. The issue is he seems to require being told off to stop his professionalism slipping. Maybe this time it'll stick and he'll blossom into a quality player but i'm fairly content that saints got rid.

My experience of employees that are a bit half arsed is that they make an effort for a short period after being bollocked but they are basically that half arsed person full stop.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
13 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Seems to have really found his feet at Swansea. Personally think he could do with another full season at that level, but heard Brighton are keeping tabs. 

Hopefully we have a sell on clause. 
Swansea fans raving about his second half to the season. 

He's been superb, very good movement and finishing.  Seems to have fit in really well.  He's clearly a bit of a character but considering he's still only 21 and already and excellent championship striker, you'd expect he's got the potential to play in the prem.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Sometimes players have to move in order to develop. It seems that not being able to get into Swansea's team was the kick up the arse he needed to buckle down

Looks a lot fitter as well, appears to have worked hard on his physique, he no longer looks like a rugby prop forward.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

He scores a good goal and people use it to beat the club with.

I get it that we are a shambles after McCarthy and Stephens and fan base very low at moment. Still think Pope would have given us all a lift but look at our cup game where Obafemi was dog shit. 

What is this, a summer of alpine tribute accounts?! 

We aren't a shambles ffs. If anything there are a lot of positive noises coming out of the club?

There is nothing wrong with retaining macca and stephens provided they're to be used as squad players mid-long term... They're both perfectly fine for that level of involvement. Our negative fans need to get a grip as this incessant pissing and moaning about the club and players. The window doesn't even close for 2 and half months yet.

Derby are a shambles, Watford are a shambles, saints were a mess under les Reed and Krueger, but that was years ago  and the current management and board have worked a borderline miracle to restructure the playing squad, keep us up, keep us solvent, and get a good takeover... Where is the shambles? 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 13
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

We aren't a shambles ffs. If anything there are a lot of positive noises coming out of the club?

There is nothing wrong with retaining macca and stephens provided they're to be used as squad players mid-long term... They're both perfectly fine for that level of involvement. Our negative fans need to get a grip as this incessant pissing and moaning about the club and players. The window doesn't even close for 2 and half months yet.

Derby are a shambles, Watford are a shambles, saints were a mess under les Reed and Krueger, but that was years ago  and the current management and board have worked a borderline miracle to restructure the playing squad, keep us up, keep us solvent, and get a good takeover... Where is the shambles? 

Generally agree with everything you’ve put 👍🏻

The massive hammerings and long runs of defeats are the only things that I would consider a shambles and needs addressing.

• Like 1

Always thought he had a bit about him, but I don’t think we’d have seen it here, he probably needed the rejection/fresh start. However I was disappointed with the fee and hoped we’d have extended contract and loaned him out as one good season in the Championship can be worth 8-10mil easy these days. Never mind, hope he does well. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Why if they are as good as you say did they hide the contract renewals?

a manager that can’t turn round no wins in 13 several seasons in a row yet borderline miracle give it a rest Ffs 

You think McCarthy won’t be involved and a squad player think you need to take off your red&white tinted spectacles 

• Confused 1

If you read any of the mid game comments in matches where Obafemi played you will know that he is utter crap and is stealing a living as a footballer - along with many others in our team. Now he has left and scored for Ireland he is the next Messi.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

His assist for Parrott's goal was fantastic too.

It'll be interesting to see how he does next season given he has had such a hot 2nd half of the season.

I really hope saints have a sell on clause included.

He never got the credit for this playing at Saints but his passing has always been really good. Even though he didn’t score loads for us there’s a few assists that stick in the memory (v Portsmouth, I think he also set up Ings to win a penalty vs Arsenal maybe with a great pass). 

I always wanted to keep him because even if he didn’t score he usually did contribute in some way but now he has added goals to his game too he his starting to look a real decent player. I think he could definitely get to at least Adams’ level. If I remember he was really starting to break through before Covid but injuries then got in his way.

People also forgetting he is still only 21 and was playing for us in his teens - it’s hard to think of many players his age who were doing better - but it’s pretty typical of Saints fans to slag off a young player trying to find his feet.

Edited by Nemi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Why if they are as good as you say did they hide the contract renewals?

a manager that can’t turn round no wins in 13 several seasons in a row yet borderline miracle give it a rest Ffs 

You think McCarthy won’t be involved and a squad player think you need to take off your red&white tinted spectacles 

As a matter of interest do you see yourself as a Saints supporter because you always seem to be posting negative comments.

Yes it would be great if we had had better players than we have at the moment but we just do not have the financial resources to buy them.

Harrassing other posters who want to support the team seems particularly stupid to me so that is why are asked the question

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John B said:

As a matter of interest do you see yourself as a Saints supporter because you always seem to be posting negative comments.

Yes it would be great if we had had better players than we have at the moment but we just do not have the financial resources to buy them.

Harrassing other posters who want to support the team seems particularly stupid to me so that is why are asked the question

Harassing lol it’s a football forum are you not doing the same as I have different opinion to you stop harassing me please!

Do I see myself as a Saints supporter yes and 25 years as ST and going since 1963 qualifies me.

What I am not is a blind faith follower and if I am unhappy with the club then I will say so and that’s what this forum is for?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Sometimes players have to move in order to develop. It seems that not being able to get into Swansea's team was the kick up the arse he needed to buckle down

This basically.  It was the right move for all parties.  Glad he’s doing well and hope it continues 

5 hours ago, Nemi said:

People also forgetting he is still only 21 and was playing for us in his teens - it’s hard to think of many players his age who were doing better - but it’s pretty typical of Saints fans to slag off a young player trying to find his feet.

I think it was rumbles and rumours of attitude and application that led to some of the criticism. Ralph had mentioned his lifestyle or diet and approach in an interview. He seemed to continue this at Swansea in the early stages and was again publicly bollocked by their manager.

No matter how he turned it round in the latter part of last season, fact is he wasn’t going to progress with us as things were. 

Perhahe declined the contract extension and loan option. But getting  shot was the right thing, although surprising that we have still got N’Lundulu with us. 

3 hours ago, Barsiem said:

This basically.  It was the right move for all parties.  Glad he’s doing well and hope it continues 

Agreed, and hope we’ve got a decent sell on or buy back if he improves and we wish to exercise it. But he’s a way off that at the moment, and given the furore over our signing record there would be another meltdown on here if we signed a player from the Championship on the back of one decent run over the end of last season.

Good luck to him, but his time had Saints had gone. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

He was good enough to be getting minutes for us. But I think Ralph said that every time he got there, he didn't sustain that level. After a few attempts at that, Ralph seemed to lose patience, or simply wasn't prepared to do it again, and moved onto Nlundulu.

So while he may develop further, he wasn't going to do it under Ralph. And that's his decision to make. Hard to say if another manager could have got more out of him.

Too early to say if it will, if not come back to bite us, then be a player who we're constantly reminded of as going oto bigger things after we sold/ released them.

Signing any striker who can score a few goals for us next season will help.

• Like 1