Michael Obafemi - Official: Signs for Swansea

SuperSAINT

Appreciate he's only got a year left, but £6M seems low. Obviously injury prone and hasn't been consistent, but he's young and has shown glimpses that he could be decent. I'd rather we kept him, extend his contract and loan him out to someone like Reading to get some regular game time and bang in some goals in the Championship.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

How’s he [Obafemi] looked pre-season?  I’ve not seen any of the games “live”.

OK, not great. He works hard and is good in the press, hasn't been much of a threat in front of goal but made our first goal against Cardiff with his pressing and hard work followed by a simple pass to an unmarked Walcott. Judging by how amazing a number of other players looked against Cardiff (Djenepo, Redmond) who I don't think are that great I think they were just very poor opposition. Therefore the fact Oba only looked good ment that I am not that impressed to be honest, same with Elyounoussi.

In the Swansea game him and Ings played the final 30 mins or so and both looked thoroughly ineffective to be honest. I think I'd probably look to cash in about £5m if I were the club. Tella is an absolute tonne more exciting and plays a similar role in the squad, he looked world class against Cardiff, my man of the match, and good at Swansea too. Maybe slightly unlucky though as has been paired with Ings in preseason mostly with Che and Long paired up and Ings looks well off the pace so far.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

Appreciate he's only got a year left, but £6M seems low. Obviously injury prone and hasn't been consistent, but he's young and has shown glimpses that he could be decent. I'd rather we kept him, extend his contract and loan him out to someone like Reading to get some regular game time and bang in some goals in the Championship.

No matter what value you put on him, it seems a very big amount for any championship club to pay considering the financial difficulties they all have due to covid. 

No one has any money to spend.

So far, Fulham have spent £12.6m on Harry Wilson. Stoke £1.5m on Ben Wilmot, QPR £1m on Dozzel, Swansea £1.8m on Piroe and Boro £780k on Ikpeazu. That's pretty much it. Lots of free transfers. Blackburn aren't spending £6m on. Not a chance.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

No matter what value you put on him, it seems a very big amount for any championship club to pay considering the financial difficulties they all have due to covid. 

No one has any money to spend.

So far, Fulham have spent £12.6m on Harry Wilson. Stoke £1.5m on Ben Wilmot, QPR £1m on Dozzel, Swansea £1.8m on Piroe and Boro £780k on Ikpeazu. That's pretty much it. Lots of free transfers. Blackburn aren't spending £6m on. Not a chance.

Quite, but deducting £6m from the value of Armstrong in a part-ex could work. Especially with the 40% sell on to Newcastle.

Imagine it will be two ‘separate’ deals, but essentially will be one.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Quite, but deducting £6m from the value of Armstrong in a part-ex could work. Especially with the 40% sell on to Newcastle.

Imagine it will be two ‘separate’ deals, but essentially will be one.

Surely two "separate deals" wouldn't help with the sell-on percentage, it would have to be one cash + player deal.

22 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

How’s he [Obafemi] looked pre-season?  I’ve not seen any of the games “live”.

Frankly, total rubbish. Huffs and Puffs but not a demolition expert! 

£6m is a joke and not because it's too low.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Confused 3

15 minutes ago, igsey said:

Surely two "separate deals" wouldn't help with the sell-on percentage, it would have to be one cash + player deal.

The idea is two "seperate" deals and both are well below the value. Sell Obafemi for £500k and buy Armstrong for £10m then they only pay 40% of £10m, whereas I think I heard somewhere in a trade deal they still have to pay 40% of the estimated value of the traded player, can't confirm though.

I really, really hope we don't take a short term small influx of cash for him. Extend his contract, loan him out for first team football for a season and even if he doesn't progress to where we need him he has the talent to score goals lower leagues and so will be worth more after that. 

There is real talent and ability there, I really hope we stick with him. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I really, really hope we don't take a short term small influx of cash for him. Extend his contract, loan him out for first team football for a season and even if he doesn't progress to where we need him he has the talent to score goals lower leagues and so will be worth more after that. 

I get the impression that he doesnt suit Ralph, one or two f his quotes in the past I recall were about his off field stuff and injury problems

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Meh, not bothered either way to be honest. Ideally a 2 year extension, a loan, then review next season to see where he is at would be the ideal. However, he may not want to extend.

I could be wrong, but I don't think his body composition will ever hold up to a full season, especially not 46 games in the championship. I think he'll make a decent career for himself at Championship/League One level, but I just don't see the hype. 

• Like 2

Have to say I’m not that bothered either. Seems to have been injured far too much and not overly impressed when he has played. Shame about the injury last season as we could have made a bit more of an informed opinion on him had he gone out on loan. Whatever happens the lad needs to be playing regularly this season and it definitely won’t be with us so unless we’re going to extend his contract a permanent move probably makes more sense.

I think his football brain isn't quite sharp enough. His attributes are that he is quick and strong so difficult to knock off the ball. For me he is let down by not understanding the runs he should be making plus he tends to stray offside a lot. With his pace he should be able to sit on the shoulder of his markers and time the runs but he seems incapable of doing this.

I think if anyone is offering £5m, then I'd take it with, ideally, a % sell on clause too.

He's not going to play ahead of Adams, Armstrong, Broja or Tella.  We also have Redmond and Walcott who can be effective there too.

Wish him luck if he does go, but not sure we can turn down £5m with a year on his contract now.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

£5m for Obafemi would be crazy, and that's an extra £5m in the pot to go towards a goalie....

If you want a brilliant young 'keeper who we could offer a good deal to and wouldn't break the bank take a look at the skills videos of Russian Matvey Safonov. He'd make me feel a lot more confident than FF or AM that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

If you want a brilliant young 'keeper who we could offer a good deal to and wouldn't break the bank take a look at the skills videos of Russian Matvey Safonov. He'd make me feel a lot more confident than FF or AM that's for sure.

Certainly more mobile and better with his feet than McCarthy and Forster...

17 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Not sure Nicko is correct here, thought the deals were totally separate. 

Would be happy getting north of £5m for a player who will barely play for us. 

He seems to be saying we’ll pay Blackburn 21mil in total if Obafemi doesn’t go to Blackburn. Saints and Blackburn are currently treating Obafemi separately so Blackburn don’t pay extra to Newcastle. I think.

1 minute ago, Mr Saints said:

He seems to be saying we’ll pay Blackburn 21mil in total if Obafemi doesn’t go to Blackburn. Saints and Blackburn are currently treating Obafemi separately so Blackburn don’t pay extra to Newcastle. I think.

Plus PL regulations say they must be treated separately - see above from MLG

Hate to say it because I normally prefer to be positive, but if I was running Saints anyone who offered us five million would be missing an armpit.

I’m with Ervin. His body shape is now more suited to being a prop or a hooker than a striker, and I can’t understand why the club would let him bulk up like that. He has limited talent and now he may become more injury prone.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Slightly odd decision imo(as Blackburn seem a decent club that have helped Armstrong boost his profile). Maybe he fancies running down his contract and moving somewhere else on a free(maybe even abroad)

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Slightly odd decision imo(as Blackburn seem a decent club that have helped Armstrong boost his profile). Maybe he fancies running down his contract and moving somewhere else on a free(maybe even abroad)

He'll be running it down in the reserves. As Broja won't have come without a promise of first team playing time, MO is at best 4th choice, and quite possibly behind Tella / Walcott / Redmond for his place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

He'll be running it down in the reserves. As Broja won't have come without a promise of first team playing time, MO is at best 4th choice, and quite possibly behind Tella / Walcott / Redmond for his place.

I’d wager he’s no certainty to be ahead of Shane Long on some occasions too.

39 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Respect to him if he genuinely wants to work and try to force his way into our first team.

He's got the body shape to force himself into anything.

Unfortunately, I think he lacks the natural ability and "striker's nose" that are needed at this level, he now has more (and better) competition for a place, and he's also pooped in his own nest away from the club (which Ralph won't quickly forget).

He seems like a decent lad and I hope he has someone he trusts who can tell him that a move might be in his best interests.

On 09/08/2021 at 15:12, Saint Matty 76 said:

I'm a little surprised that anyone rates Obafemi based on what we've seen. Even in pre-season his touch has looked horrendous and I just don't think he's ready for this level.

I'd be amazed if we managed to get around £5m for him.

Agree with my thoughts. He's scored at Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford and is a full Republic of Ireland international  which might help bump his price up a bit 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Michael Obafemi - Official: Signs for Swansea