Michael Obafemi - Official: Signs for Swansea

SuperSAINT

3 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Both really good options for Obafemi - gets a season of regular first team minutes under his belt with the strong possibility of returning to the Premier League at the end of it.

& both have decent money.  I'm unsure if the rumoured £6m fee is legit or not.

53 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

He doesn't want to leave to the Championship, or else he can't pick himself in FPL.

Sounds like he prefers to stay. But maybe Ralph can find him a club he'll want to go to.

He seems to have some not great influences around him if some of the prior comments by RH about fitness and focus are anything to go by. Blackburn would have been a good move for him - get away from the London social crowd, get his head down at a division below where he can work on composure etc under a good manager and score more frequently. Adam Armstrong and others have scored their way back into the PL so no reason he couldn’t with the right perspective. Raw pace which he certainly has can get you into decent opportunities to score at that level and less centre backs have speed. 

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

What figure are the Swans paying?

Asking price was rumoured to be around £6m when he was due to join Blackburn. Imagine it'll be less, though.

Getting a chunky sell on clause is probably the bigger money spinner - a top season in the championship and Obafemi could move for decent money.

• Like 1

Swansea have got a bit of money to play with now, around £2.5m sell-on from the James deal and £2.5m for the left back they sold to Burnley.

I reckon we'll get around the 4-5m mark for him. Good value, he only has 1 year left. I don't think he'll ever make it at this level and I don't think Ralph has ever been totally struck by him.

Not sure if it leaves us light or not, probably not. We have Armstrong, Adams, Broja, Theo, Tella who can all play that central role. You could probably include long as well, but I don't want to.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Obafemi medical ongoing. Providing it goes through, will be a permanent deal £1.5m rising to £2m so significantly less than #SaintsFC were asking for earlier in the window.

Crook

The £6m was a myth, I believe.  Blackburn fee that we agree was apparently way less than £6m.

Checking Over Land and Sea's spiffy contracts thread... and he was in his last season. Having been offered to Blackburn, and being dropped regulraly enough, I guess he wasn't going to sign. So a deadline day deal for whatever we could get. Can only hope for a sell on %. A Buy back is what Chelsea do for their feeder clubs, like....oh.... 🙂

Real were only minutes away from offering that £180m they had buring a hole in their pocket as well...

We've gone beyond  Obafemi, good luck to him, hope he does well but there's no way in for him here now, so he gets a new opportunity, we get him off the wage bill and  a little cash, win win for all parties, well done Saints great window.

• Like 1

If they are paying 1.5 million rising to 2 million for a full international (which he is) who has played and scored in the Prem (which he has) then they’ve done well.

Given what other players are going for Saints should have got at least £3.5 - 4.5 million for him

I'm OK with the £2 million fee. The principal bit of the deal will be getting a good sell on fee clause. If he's a hit at Swansea (and I believe he has the traits to be) then if we have a, say, 25% sell on clause he goes for, say, the Armstrong amount of £15 million, Then we'd be getting close to £3 million extra quid which would help in future transfer windows. 

I guess Long isn't going anywhere, so that effectively makes him the 4th choice striker this season behind Adams, Armstrong and Broja. (If you consider Tella, Walcott and Redmond as wingers/10s.)

• Lighthouse changed the title to Michael Obafemi - Official: Signs for Swansea
1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

I'm OK with the £2 million fee. The principal bit of the deal will be getting a good sell on fee clause. If he's a hit at Swansea (and I believe he has the traits to be) then if we have a, say, 25% sell on clause he goes for, say, the Armstrong amount of £15 million, Then we'd be getting close to £3 million extra quid which would help in future transfer windows. 

I guess Long isn't going anywhere, so that effectively makes him the 4th choice striker this season behind Adams, Armstrong and Broja. (If you consider Tella, Walcott and Redmond as wingers/10s.)

We will never hear about him again, I'm sure of that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Good luck to the lad. Definitely had pace and a bit of talent but injured far too often for a lad of his age and stories of unprofessionalism are never good. Would have been 7th choice for our striker role (Adams, Arma, Broja, Tella, Redmond, Walcott) so probably best for him he left, one year left on his contract £1.5-2m is a reasonable deal imo.

• Like 2

Think it's a shame, but circumstance has meant this has happened. Maybe he'd have gone out to Swansea last Jan and bagged 10 goals, and come back with a but of fire in his belly, but unfortunately it hasn't happened for him here. Will be interesting to see how he gets on at Swansea. Wouldn't surprise me if he scored 10-15 for them this season.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He may well do but he won't get to that level here. He needs a couple of seasons of regular football.

Agreed, I think that's a fair view. He needs to make a name for himself elsewhere and then maybe potentially become a PL player, being loaned out or playing for us as a bit part will never aid his development. Could end up being a case of right player, wrong time for him.

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Good luck to the lad. Definitely had pace and a bit of talent but injured far too often for a lad of his age and stories of unprofessionalism are never good. Would have been 7th choice for our striker role (Adams, Arma, Broja, Tella, Redmond, Walcott) so probably best for him he left, one year left on his contract £1.5-2m is a reasonable deal imo.

Ditto

On 13/08/2021 at 20:29, Charlie Wayman said:

He has no future here under Ralph so the best advise is for him to leave. Apart from running fast, where are his special talents? Bull in a china shop is how I see him.

He post some funny dancing videos on Instagram.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Shame. I think he'll end up back in the Prem.

I don’t think he will. He had the chance to kick on here but couldn’t keep himself fit and by all accounts spends more time in Buddha than on the pitch. Good player in there talent wise but not got the discipline to be a top player.  Maybe he’ll mature a bit but I fully expect him to have an unremarkable career as a championship and league one player 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

It makes you wounder what we see in Nlundulu (we just renewed his contract) when the guy is turning 23 soon and Obafemi just turned 21.

Seems weird to give up on him and stick with Nlundulu

Could be that we were paying Obafemi much higher wages?

...and 2m smackeroons is not to be sneezed at!

Doubt Dan has much value on the open market.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

It makes you wounder what we see in Nlundulu (we just renewed his contract) when the guy is turning 23 soon and Obafemi just turned 21.

I would imagine the logic/hope is that Dan bags a fair few for Lincoln this this season and we sell him for a similar fee next summer.  

Terrible fee, can’t help but think we really screw ourselves a lot of the time with players we get rid of.

liverpool manage to palm their youngsters off on the likes of Bournemouth etc for 20m whilst we take 1.5 for. Oba if we didn’t rate him why was he keeping Adams out of the side at one stage..

hes not the finished article and it could go either way but he reminds me a bit of Antonio when he was with us and he hasn’t turned out bad. 

Decent deal for Swansea anyway cheap as chips for potential with pace and if he does a Adam Armstrong could be worth a lot 

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think he could become our "Adam Armstrong". I rate him. For such a low fee, there must be a good sell-on clause.

Perhaps, but their careers at international youth level are in no way comparable, if that's any guide

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

3 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Agreed. MO has far bigger chance of making at the top level. But both need to take the lower path and fin their own way. 

Personally I don't think either will do much of note. 

3 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

When NLundulu first came into the he team he looked like he had a bit about him. More of seen of him he just looks like a big lad with not a lot of ability. At 22 you’d expect him to have more of an impact than he has. Maybe a season on loan will do him good but another one I fear just not up to it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Terrible fee, can’t help but think we really screw ourselves a lot of the time with players we get rid of.

liverpool manage to palm their youngsters off on the likes of Bournemouth etc for 20m whilst we take 1.5 for. Oba if we didn’t rate him why was he keeping Adams out of the side at one stage..

hes not the finished article and it could go either way but he reminds me a bit of Antonio when he was with us and he hasn’t turned out bad. 

Decent deal for Swansea anyway cheap as chips for potential with pace and if he does a Adam Armstrong could be worth a lot 

Come on, Antonio was a decent player when he was with us and far superior.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Could be that we were paying Obafemi much higher wages?

...and 2m smackeroons is not to be sneezed at!

Doubt Dan has much value on the open market.

I think that might be the main reason...DN wouldn't have attracted an offer, but may in the future, MO did.    Obafemi always struck me as not quite good enough for the Prem, but certainly an asset for a Championship side.   Fee seems low, even in these chastened times.