Wolves vs. Saints - Build Up

Mr X

I’m not sure Yoshida or Vest have been directly at fault for as many goals though so not really sure he is the best of the bunch?

I’ve been watching him closely recently and I’ve noticed he is very scandalously poor at picking up runs as well as slow closing down shots

Some may laugh but I reckon vestergaard alongside Danso could be a complimentary partnership

Just stats, but best of a bad bunch is probably about right. None of our defenders have good stats.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/18/Show/England-Southampton

Not convinced Yoshida will be ready, just played in Tajikistan. Wouldn't have Danso anywhere near the team (yet). JWP is pointless.

Danso is just clutching at straws. He's played one full game for us and that was at FB so I'm not sure what anyone is basing his selection on other than the hope he can't be worse than the players we've got.....Ralph doesn't seem to agree though. I thought Danso was a Ralph-influenced acquisition but maybe not.

[quote=Lighthouse;2767959

Really? Is three days not enough to recover from a few hours in business class, watching movies on demand with a glass of gin?

These guys should try being long-haul cabin crew.

Ralph doesn't seem to like picking Yoshida when he is fully fit. 2 days to get back from Tajikistan (are there even direct flights to the UK, most likely he flies back to Japan with his team mates?) and then no training before the game and I would guess Ralph would probably use the excuse not to play him. Long-haul cabin crew are used to this, not the same for passengers, even regular ones, and rest assured being in Business Class makes sod all difference. If he's fit then great, he would be my first choice CB, but I have doubts.

Danso is just clutching at straws. He's played one full game for us and that was at FB...

He started against Brighton (LB, w 2-0), Fulham (CB, w 1-0), Man United (LB, d 1-1) and Bournemouth (all the positions in the world, L 1-3)

As disastrous signings go, he's been handy enough.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

If anyone is after tickets Saints have finally put block 9 on sale , seemed pointless us taking a reduced allocation then leaving empty seats when we'd sold out initial allocation .

We sell out the initial allocation 3 weeks before the game and fans that missed out start asking about further tickets but the club just tell us it's sold out. Fast forward to a few days before the game and, although they haven't actually told anyone, an extra block of seats have secretly gone on sale. The only people that would know about this are the ones who look at fans forums where 1 or 2 have stumbled across the news - I've just had a look and they've barely sold any of these extra tickets after 2 or 3 days.

I'd imagine Wolves were hoping to sell the remainder to SFC on the usual 'no returns' with extra allocations but then just offered them anyway as no good to them unsold. But our club don't really appear to value away support, they don't make money and probably see it as a bit of an inconvenience selling them. The next time we moan about taking a smaller allocation they'll probably cite this game and say they took extra but nobody bought them, despite no announcement from the club..

Ralph doesn't seem to like picking Yoshida when he is fully fit. 2 days to get back from Tajikistan (are there even direct flights to the UK, most likely he flies back to Japan with his team mates?) and then no training before the game and I would guess Ralph would probably use the excuse not to play him. Long-haul cabin crew are used to this, not the same for passengers, even regular ones, and rest assured being in Business Class makes sod all difference. If he's fit then great, he would be my first choice CB, but I have doubts.

I don't see why would need to fly all the way to Japan, just to then say cheerio in arrivals and hop on another flight back the same direction.

I just don't buy it as an excuse. A 4 hour flight to Dubai/Istanbul and then back to the UK is neither arduous, nor difficult to plan. I'd give him a day off and expect him to spend it asleep until midday but that's it. F1 drivers fly to Japan/Singapore/China on a Tuesday and they're driving around in 30 degree heat by Friday morning. It affects your sleep patterns, that's it.

I think it will all come back to your (largely correct) first sentence. Ralph doesn't fancy him.

I don't see why would need to fly all the way to Japan, just to then say cheerio in arrivals and hop on another flight back the same direction.

I just don't buy it as an excuse. A 4 hour flight to Dubai/Istanbul and then back to the UK is neither arduous, nor difficult to plan. I'd give him a day off and expect him to spend it asleep until midday but that's it. F1 drivers fly to Japan/Singapore/China on a Tuesday and they're driving around in 30 degree heat by Friday morning. It affects your sleep patterns, that's it.

I think it will all come back to your (largely correct) first sentence. Ralph doesn't fancy him.

Not done much long haul travel I assume.

Agree not very sensible going back to Japan, Greta would have a fit, but it's the reality of how these international trips work. I don't know for sure that's the case here but it could be. Flight to UK would actually be with Turkish with stop in Ankara, rather than Dubai. 11.50 hours. So assuming he left today he should be back in UK tomorrow (Thursday), Friday recovery, no training before match on Saturday. Pretty sure Ralph will see that as perfect excuse to not select him. Still even a jet lagged Yoshida would be a better bet than Vestegaard or Danso, who appear jet lagged even when they're not.

We sell out the initial allocation 3 weeks before the game and fans that missed out start asking about further tickets but the club just tell us it's sold out. Fast forward to a few days before the game and, although they haven't actually told anyone, an extra block of seats have secretly gone on sale. The only people that would know about this are the ones who look at fans forums where 1 or 2 have stumbled across the news - I've just had a look and they've barely sold any of these extra tickets after 2 or 3 days.

I'd imagine Wolves were hoping to sell the remainder to SFC on the usual 'no returns' with extra allocations but then just offered them anyway as no good to them unsold. But our club don't really appear to value away support, they don't make money and probably see it as a bit of an inconvenience selling them. The next time we moan about taking a smaller allocation they'll probably cite this game and say they took extra but nobody bought them, despite no announcement from the club..

It gets worse, I know someone who asked at the ticket office in person earlier TODAY and was told it’s sold out, So even dogsbodies working in the office don’t know and are giving out wrong info. I only spotted more were available online on Monday when logging in to look at a different away game.

Arsenal away they’ve held off putting on sale block 23, probably with the thought of sending that back if we don’t sell out others, which we easily will 5 weeks before the game. Very strange way of doing business.

Not done much long haul travel I assume.

Agree not very sensible going back to Japan, Greta would have a fit, but it's the reality of how these international trips work. I don't know for sure that's the case here but it could be. Flight to UK would actually be with Turkish with stop in Ankara, rather than Dubai. 11.50 hours. So assuming he left today he should be back in UK tomorrow (Thursday), Friday recovery, no training before match on Saturday. Pretty sure Ralph will see that as perfect excuse to not select him. Still even a jet lagged Yoshida would be a better bet than Vestegaard or Danso, who appear jet lagged even when they're not.

You assume wrongly.

Without going too much off topic, there are multiple flights daily to Moscow, Dubai or Istanbul, which are all well connected to Heathrow. There's no reason he couldn't have planned his journey to arrive back today, have tomorrow of, train Friday and play Saturday. How many times have Saints received an arse kicking from some team who's just played an away game at Qarabag, Spartak Moscow or Beitar Jerusalem and WE looked like the tired ones?

Put it this way, I'd rather have a half asleep Yoshida than an 'awake' Vestergaard.

bit of a home banker for the coupon I'm afraid. We failed to address the basic needs of assembling a competitive squad by getting the defence sorted first, and will likely go down this season because of it, in my view.

bit of a home banker for the coupon I'm afraid. We failed to address the basic needs of assembling a competitive squad by getting the defence sorted first, and will likely go down this season because of it, in my view.
Yawn.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You assume wrongly.

Without going too much off topic, there are multiple flights daily to Moscow, Dubai or Istanbul, which are all well connected to Heathrow. There's no reason he couldn't have planned his journey to arrive back today, have tomorrow of, train Friday and play Saturday. How many times have Saints received an arse kicking from some team who's just played an away game at Qarabag, Spartak Moscow or Beitar Jerusalem and WE looked like the tired ones?

Put it this way, I'd rather have a half asleep Yoshida than an 'awake' Vestergaard.

He's back anyway, surprisingly, training pictures today. Must have flown out after the game without staying overnight. Looks a bit sleepy ?

He's back anyway, surprisingly, training pictures today. Must have flown out after the game without staying overnight. Looks a bit sleepy

A quick glance at their squad (assuming wiki is roughly up to date) and all but three of them are based in Europe anyway. Wouldn't have been surprised if their FA had laid on charter to somewhere central and well connected, like Amsterdam or Frankfurt, the morning after the game.

Glad he's back though. I got it the wrong way around earlier, if he's coming westbound he'll be wide-awake at 5am anyway.

A quick glance at their squad (assuming wiki is roughly up to date) and all but three of them are based in Europe anyway. Wouldn't have been surprised if their FA had laid on charter to somewhere central and well connected, like Amsterdam or Frankfurt, the morning after the game.

Glad he's back though. I got it the wrong way around earlier, if he's coming westbound he'll be wide-awake at 5am anyway.

And still forked from spending several hours at 40,000 feet...

Obviously can’t be arsed to look it up myself but anyone know if many Wolves players were travelling around on international duty? They’ve had a long season already with Europa league qualifiers and have another trip to Eastern Europe coming up next week to prepare for.

We have quite a few Wolves fans near us and most of them say wolves blow hot and cold. Saturday could easily be a day where they slip up. We deserve some luck and we may just get it this time. Don't forget Hughes was in charge the last time and we lost in the last 15 minutes because the rot had already set in with the team and his selections. Ralph has done his homework and I believe he can see where he needs to change.
How do you know "Ralph has done his homework"? He doesn't seem to have learnt anything from the last three games

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

How do you know "Ralph has done his homework"? He doesn't seem to have learnt anything from the last three games

I think Ralph forgot his homework. He certainly gets a d in defence

I think Ralph forgot his homework. He certainly gets a d in defence
His notes would read, Ralph continues to do his own things in lessons & must take advice on board D- [emoji23]

Hard to see past a Wolves win, they'll be confident after beating City. Their front 3 of Jota, Jiminez and Traore will cause us all sorts of problems. Our habit of conceding at least two a game will make it rather hard to get anything from. Love to be proved wrong. 2-0 Wolves.

In my book Ralph loses a lot of credibility if he continues to play Ward-Prowse.

While I would agree JWP is out of form, you can’t fault the manager for continuing to play a midfielder that was joint League top scorer last season whose goals helped us to 14 of our 39 points. I would look to change things and possibly drop/rest JWP on current form, but you can see why Ralph sticks by him. Even Hojbjerg has been out of form, so you could make a case for dropping him too.

We all accept that JWP and possibly even Hojbjerg wouldn’t be anywhere near the team if we had better central midfielders, but we don’t, so unfortunately they get the game time.

Anywhere to park near the ground ?

[TABLE=width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=width: 18%, bgcolor: #cccccc, align: center]Car Park[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%, bgcolor: #cccccc, align: center]Sat Nav[/TD]

[TD=width: 8%, bgcolor: #cccccc, align: center]Cost[/TD]

[TD=width: 14%, bgcolor: #cccccc, align: center]Distance to Ground[/TD]

[TD=width: 50%, bgcolor: #cccccc, align: center]Description[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF, align: center]Whitmore Hill Car Park[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF, align: center]WV1 4RU[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF, align: center]£5[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF, align: center]0.2km[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]Whitmore Street Car Park is recommended by Wolves, and is just a 2 minute walk from the stadium, making it a popular choice with away fans.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #f1f1f1, align: center]Civic Hall Car Park[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #f1f1f1, align: center]WV1 1RD[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #f1f1f1, align: center]£4.50[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #f1f1f1, align: center]0.5km[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #f1f1f1]Just off the ring road near Molineux is the Civic Hall Car Park, which is just a 5-10 minute walk to the stadium.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF, align: center]Birch Street Car Park[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF, align: center]WV1 4HY[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF, align: center]0.6km[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]Birch Street Car Park is one of the hassle free car parks recommended by Wolves, and is often seen as the best option for a quick getaway.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #f1f1f1, align: center]Camp Street Car Park[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #f1f1f1, align: center]WV1 1AD[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #f1f1f1, align: center]£5[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #f1f1f1, align: center]0.6km[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #f1f1f1]Camp Street Car Park is recommended by the club itself as a hassle free car park, and it’s only a 5-10 minute walk to the stadium.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF, align: center]Red Hill Street Car Park[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF, align: center]WV1 1RN[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF, align: center]0.7km[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]Red Hill Car Park is just a 10 minute walk from the stadium, and is recommended by the club itself as a place for visiting fans to park.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #f1f1f1, align: center]Kennedy Road – Street Parking[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #f1f1f1, align: center]WV10 0LL[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #f1f1f1, align: center]Free[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #f1f1f1, align: center]1.3km[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #f1f1f1]There is some street parking available on Kennedy Road, which is about a 10-15 minute walk to Molineux. However, this isn’t secure parking so vehicles are left at your own risk.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Ill probably use the Whitmore Road being a lazy ***t who doesn't want to walk far...!

While I would agree JWP is out of form, you can’t fault the manager for continuing to play a midfielder that was joint League top scorer last season whose goals helped us to 14 of our 39 points. I would look to change things and possibly drop/rest JWP on current form, but you can see why Ralph sticks by him. Even Hojbjerg has been out of form, so you could make a case for dropping him too.

We all accept that JWP and possibly even Hojbjerg wouldn’t be anywhere near the team if we had better central midfielders, but we don’t, so unfortunately they get the game time.

Yes, I think your last sentence nails the problem. We are astonishingly light on in mid-field depth. For what it's worth I don't see JWP as being out of form - his performances this season have been reminiscent of most games I've seen him play. The goals you talk about were a few penalties, a set piece free kick and a couple of open play goals - his overall tally from 240 appearances is very light on.

sky pundit claiming ralph seem a bit beat down currently, and isn't as motivated as he was last season which will undoubtedly rub off on the players. i agree that if there are indeed problems behind the scenes that ralph feels cannot get fixed and isn't as motivated as he should be, then on pitch form will not improve. i hope thats not the case tho.

sky pundit claiming ralph seem a bit beat down currently, and isn't as motivated as he was last season which will undoubtedly rub off on the players. i agree that if there are indeed problems behind the scenes that ralph feels cannot get fixed and isn't as motivated as he should be, then on pitch form will not improve. i hope thats not the case tho.

That WOULD be a problem, yes. Ralph's enthusiasm and positivity makes others believe as well. So if he loses that, we are in trouble.

That WOULD be a problem, yes. Ralph's enthusiasm and positivity makes others believe as well. So if he loses that, we are in trouble.

the question is, what are those problems? is it that the players he has are not upto scratch? well that must have been obvious since last season as little has changed in regards to his available personnel. or is it that the structure of the back room staff and those in positions of power in the club are inadequately equipped to pave way for him to succeed here? that's probs it IMO. having kelvin, the previous u18s coach and dave watson who seemingly clings on to his job based on his good hair, as your assistants must be a struggle for any manager. also him being privvy to the info that the the club is planning on hiring another inept DOF to replace ross, all this would no doubt be concerning to him and probably feels he can't succeed here anymore. All just speculation on my part tho.

You are always negative whether it is the next match or next season. Blimey wake up and look on the bright side of life!
Ok we are going to beat wolves 8 - 0 & Adams is going to score a hat trick, we will then re sign mane & win the league