Site issues

iansums

totally oblivious if this would make a difference, but there is a lot of pointless content on this site?

Does there need to be a Computer Games and a separate Technology sub-forums?

Does there need to be 6 sub-forums in the off-topic section?

Β 

clearly, the answer is no to the above, but may not make much difference anyway

I’ve ended up signing up to the Athletic because I’m fed up of going for a shit and having nothing to read due to this site never loading. My shits are pretty scheduled in my routine and the siteΒ seems to always go downΒ around the times of 10:30 and 18:30.Β 

34 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Any chance of an update from Steve? Is this as good as it gets or is there some plan/opportunity to solve this problem?

Steve has explained all this earlier in this thread , new software with glitches the supplier not too interested in plus new server system as old system was costing him money personally . Tough for posters I know but I’m going to stick it out for now.

2 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Steve has explained all this earlier in this thread , new software with glitches the supplier not too interested in plus new server system as old system was costing him money personally . Tough for posters I know but I’m going to stick it out for now.

But I don't' think that should just be the accepted, because what's the point of this place if that is the standard? It doesn't work 80% of the time and people fork out Β£5. Tiny amount for sure, but it's still an outlay paying for something that is offline more often than it's online.

I'm sure Steve is working his arse off trying to fix it, can imagine it's even more frustrating for him than it is for us. Hopefully some of the guys above who have offered their services are involved in trying to unpick it!

As he's said before it doesn't seem to be due to load or traffic hitting the site (so I wouldn't have thought it was a DDoS)Β Β it looks to be something more involved with how this forum it's self is functioning. I'd still go back to my previous point though - it was mentioned that this new 'solution' was setup so it could scale up and down based on performance, maybe that 'configuration' is what's causing the issues here? I've used other Invision forums and I've never had issues such as this.

True that I am not just accepting the situation just giving Steve more time to sort out the glitches. I have never ever used a new computer system at work or home that works properly. You either work out your own workarounds to do what you need to do or wait for the updates!

one program at work would freeze and the solution was to reset the system , unfortunately any work you had just done disappeared for ever !

Nice tip.Β  Also if he main "The Saints" tab fails as it often seems to for me.Β  If the thread you're interested in happens to be the last one viewed, you can usually access it via the "minutes/hours ago" tab under the username on the main page.Β Β 

Edited by Manuel

Jesus this has been virtually impossible to access for the last hour then it suddenly opens the door slightly and lets you in.Β 
I can’t understandΒ Β why there are the two errors, the 502 Bad Gateway one and the 504 one.

The server hosts really need to get there fingers out and find a solution, it’s their bloody issue not Steve’s.

I’m close to calling it quits but the Ugly Inside forum is shite.

Edited by beatlesaint

5 minutes ago, Micky said:

Don't know if this happening for others, but the Criminal XI thread appears 3 times in the main listing.Β  Same thread, just listed 3 times.Β  Strange.Β 

I imagine it's because the poster wasn't getting any response from the site, so ended up clicking submit a few times, then the site woke up and posted it 3 times.

On 28/08/2020 at 18:07, East Kent Saint said:

I have never ever used a new computer system at work or home that works properly.

That's a reflection of numerous factors, for example...

# Inaccurate specification of the systems requirement, actual end user requirements.

# PoorΒ terms of reference, and testing against the vendors products, for the "down selection" of the available solutions.

# An insufficient budget, leading to the incorrect solution being purchased or compromises being made, and potentially poor administrative / support training.

... an incorrectly operating new application orΒ system is never aΒ foregone conclusion, it's an active decision made by someone or a group of people at some point.

On 28/08/2020 at 18:27, Antrimsaint said:

I found a workaround that if you have a page in yourΒ history. Try that then go through to the forums page. It works for me every time. I’ve been using page 7 of the Salish transfer thread πŸ˜€

Similarly, unable to get on via direct link in about 20 attempts today, but Google Saintsweb Forum, click on the relevant link there and straight in.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Jesus this has been virtually impossible to access for the last hour then it suddenly opens the door slightly and lets you in.Β 
I can’t understandΒ Β why there are the two errors, the 502 Bad Gateway one and the 504 one.

The server hosts really need to get there fingers out and find a solution, it’s their bloody issue not Steve’s.

I’m close to calling it quits but the Ugly Inside forum is shite.

It really is isn't it.Β 

10 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Similarly, unable to get on via direct link in about 20 attempts today, but Google Saintsweb Forum, click on the relevant link there and straight in.

Great tip, worked really well, someone should get this highlighted on the front page....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simondo said:

Great tip, worked really well, someone should get this highlighted on the front page....

Makes absolutely no difference. The problem is the platform it's hosted on/forum backend, going in via specific links isn't going to make any difference (as it hasn't for me, at any point). You probably just get lucky at that one second.

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Makes absolutely no difference. The problem is the platform it's hosted on/forum backend, going in via specific links isn't going to make any difference (as it hasn't for me, at any point). You probably just get lucky at that one second.

Yes none of these workarounds have made any difference for me. I think you’re correct, it’s luck of the draw.

11 hours ago, Red said:

Site problems is one thing - very poor as it may be, but for the owner (Steve) to not have given an update for about 2 weeks is even worse. Has he also given up?

Maybe time for someone else to take the lead with the running of this place?

I am honestly looking elsewhere for a site that can give me my Saints fix.Β  A few years back I ran Vital Saints but it was too hard with such a low members count. Oh When The Saints has hardly any member. The Ugly insideΒ  is not good though it could possibly be changed with a massive gain of members. Not 606 I find a smaller version of this?

I haven’t got a clue what anyone is on about when it comes to fixes & reasons. The only thing I know is that this is a bloody good forum & it would be a shame if it withered & died. I’ve no idea what the fix is, but maybe some on here do. Without stepping on Steve’s toes, maybe it’s worth flying a few kites. Are people willing to pay more, has anyone with knowledge got time on their hands to help out. Is it worth binning some of the sub sections and if so will that improve performance (the lounge seems a lot worse than the main forum). Being a dinosaur I haven’t a clue myself, but it’s quite a decent sized community, I’m sure between us all it can be sorted.Β 

• Like 2

It’s not great having a go at someone runnin* this place and not making money out of it but also a totalΒ joke in terms of IT capacity.

you can call up phenomenal amount of data instantly nowadays so baffling howΒ a few posts on a web forumΒ can be draining any capacity. Something is awry as it is not 1998.Β 

Β 

Edited by whelk

8 minutes ago, whelk said:

It’s not great having a go at someone runnin* this place and not making money out of it but also a totalΒ joke in terms of IT capacity.

you can call up phenomenal amount of data instantly nowadays so baffling howΒ a few posts on a web forumΒ can be draining any capacity. Something is awry as it is not 1998.Β 

Β 

It's not capacity, it's some sort of configuration issue backend - either caused by the AWS element or an issue with the forum software it's self. If it's not supported or developed anymore, outside of Invisions own hosted platform, then it seems like this place is flogging a dead horse.

New forum...? New brand? There are a few out there.

When the season starts and there are match threads it's going to be pointless, due to the stop start nature of this setup.Β I'll have to find somewhere else to chat waffle. It's a shame, because this forum will die within a couple of months if it's like this during the actual season.

Edited by S-Clarke

28 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I haven’t got a clue what anyone is on about when it comes to fixes & reasons. The only thing I know is that this is a bloody good forum & it would be a shame if it withered & died. I’ve no idea what the fix is, but maybe some on here do. Without stepping on Steve’s toes, maybe it’s worth flying a few kites. Are people willing to pay more, has anyone with knowledge got time on their hands to help out. Is it worth binning some of the sub sections and if so will that improve performance (the lounge seems a lot worse than the main forum). Being a dinosaur I haven’t a clue myself, but it’s quite a decent sized community, I’m sure between us all it can be sorted.Β 

To be fair, people have offered their services in this thread for free. I'm assuming they've been taken up on their offers!

Really struggling now to get in once a day. More concerning appears to be a lack of an update but working in software development I get the difficulties and frustrations. I also would be happy to contribute my own skills and contacts to yield a solution as keen to 1. Keep this forum afloat 2. Help it grow.Β 

What the hell happened there!

Β 

Anyway, footballforums.net is in dire need of some saints fans. It's a decent multi club forum and we have our own albeit dead sub forum. A few from here have been on but there's only a few saints fans on there atm. Been wanting more on there for years but this place lures you all away. Try it out, a good head of saints fans on there would be decent.

I want to express my thanks to Steve and any others for all they do to keep this forum going. While I have been frustrated with the current problems, this is still the best forum around.

Personally, I have found the biggest issue has been when I try to go back in my browser. In general the page which has the most problem loading is the Saints forum page. If I have difficulty then I find going to the home page first and clicking forward from there has greater success.

• Like 1