Jump to content

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Without being a nagger, are they looking to solve this problem or have they given up.

its a polite question IMHO.

I think that's what we all want to know, but it's all gone silent. A lot of people have offered their help on this thread as well, unsure if any have had their offers taken up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think that's what we all want to know, but it's all gone silent. A lot of people have offered their help on this thread as well, unsure if any have had their offers taken up.

I would like to think that if the capacity to sort/run this place is no longer there, why not hand the reins over to someone else?

seems selfish not to.....

hopefully that is not the case

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been on this site since 2006 and I’d hate to think that is on a slow march to death. It’s the only site I feel that has genuine fans posting and has had some great threads through the years. Whoever is in charge please sort it out. It has been a great community for years. Many of us exiles rely on it for the unvarnished truth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Without being a nagger, are they looking to solve this problem or have they given up.

its a polite question IMHO.

I can't believe they're not working on it but am concerned by the lack of information. Would be sorry to see it die but that's inevitable if this carries on. Sotonians is offering a lot more at present.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have made a discovery.

If I clear cookies and sign out, I am able to browse the site and all threads with absolutely zero issues. The pages load instantly.

Might be mere coincidence, good luck testing it ;)

Edited by Saint86
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

I can't believe they're not working on it but am concerned by the lack of information. Would be sorry to see it die but that's inevitable if this carries on. Sotonians is offering a lot more at present.

In all seriousness, the not606 one is a decent stand in as well.
I think people have to just be patient with Steve re this forum. Its not run as a business ultimately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Batman said:

I would like to think that if the capacity to sort/run this place is no longer there, why not hand the reins over to someone else?

seems selfish not to.....

hopefully that is not the case

I find this comment lacking a lot of respect. Steve has served our community selflessly and often without thanks for over a decade. You have been a major beneficiary of having a stable platform for such a long time, with over 30,000 posts. We take this for granted, but our forum has generally been superior in terms of user contributions than alot of forums of similar sized clubs.

 
The selfish thing to do would be to just walk away. Or to give the site over to a random person. Imagine if this had been your baby project for over a decade. Would you just hand it over to some random person? 
 
No. 
 
I'm not saying it is the case that Steve is looking for new ownership. But if he were, I assume he wouldn't want to hand it over to someone without 1) Ensuring that person genuinely had the skills to look after and maintain the forum, 2) that the person is in it for the long haul. We don't want someone to take over, lose interest in a year, and be in the same position 3) Has the financial capacity to plug things if there is a gap in subscriptions, like Steve has admitted to doing (the oh very selfish man). These things take time to find the right person(s).
 
We just need to be patient for a little longer, don't throw our toys out, and especially -don't add further stress, and we will have an answer soon enough
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

I can't believe they're not working on it but am concerned by the lack of information. Would be sorry to see it die but that's inevitable if this carries on. Sotonians is offering a lot more at present.

Sotonians seems to have an overriding air of smugness about it. It's a no from me.

Not606 is alright though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

I find this comment lacking a lot of respect. Steve has served our community selflessly and often without thanks for over a decade. You have been a major beneficiary of having a stable platform for such a long time, with over 30,000 posts. We take this for granted, but our forum has generally been superior in terms of user contributions than alot of forums of similar sized clubs.

 
The selfish thing to do would be to just walk away. Or to give the site over to a random person. Imagine if this had been your baby project for over a decade. Would you just hand it over to some random person? 
 
No. 
 
I'm not saying it is the case that Steve is looking for new ownership. But if he were, I assume he wouldn't want to hand it over to someone without 1) Ensuring that person genuinely had the skills to look after and maintain the forum, 2) that the person is in it for the long haul. We don't want someone to take over, lose interest in a year, and be in the same position 3) Has the financial capacity to plug things if there is a gap in subscriptions, like Steve has admitted to doing (the oh very selfish man). These things take time to find the right person(s).
 
We just need to be patient for a little longer, don't throw our toys out, and especially -don't add further stress, and we will have an answer soon enough

I understand what you are saying but for the almost the entire time required, I (and others) have paid.  This is not a charity and donations were/are not requested.   Clearly, a few with expertise have offered assistance, and more probably have offline....so not a case of one man band (or needs to be)..... 

I am sure it is not the case of allowing this place to die and a case of my train set, no one else's. I know if I ran something that others enjoyed using, I would pass the baton over if I had enough/could not devote the required time to it...

Should this place fall apart, another will probably crop up with an almost identical name anyway

Link to post
Share on other sites

The site has been working effectively for most of the day today. Hoping this is a sign of things sorting themselves out. Or more likely, some tireless work behind the scenes is beginning to pay dividends. 

As I said previously I don't want to go anywhere else and I'm not giving up here. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jasonb said:

The site has been working effectively for most of the day today. Hoping this is a sign of things sorting themselves out. Or more likely, some tireless work behind the scenes is beginning to pay dividends. 

As I said previously I don't want to go anywhere else and I'm not giving up here. 

Having had a look at a few other sites.....eg Sotonians;  I'm crossing everything in the hope things can come good here.    Would be a huge loss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sydney_saint said:

 

 
I'm not saying it is the case that Steve is looking for new ownership. But if he were, I assume he wouldn't want to hand it over to someone without 1) Ensuring that person genuinely had the skills to look after and maintain the forum, 2) that the person is in it for the long haul. We don't want someone to take over, lose interest in a year, and be in the same position 3) Has the financial capacity to plug things if there is a gap in subscriptions, like Steve has admitted to doing (the oh very selfish man). These things take time to find the right person(s).
 

I remember Kat saying the same before she sold to Gao. Steve will sell us down the river to some faceless Chinese message board platform with advert pop ups from spurious companies.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to come into a home page is impossible, the gateway is bad. I've found that if I go to my history and then open a sub page that I've visited, ie this one, I can get in (mostly) and navigate from there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I may have made a discovery.

If I clear cookies and sign out, I am able to browse the site and all threads with absolutely zero issues. The pages load instantly.

Might be mere coincidence, good luck testing it ;)

Also works well on your phone in in cognito mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, sydney_saint said:

I find this comment lacking a lot of respect. Steve has served our community selflessly and often without thanks for over a decade. You have been a major beneficiary of having a stable platform for such a long time, with over 30,000 posts. We take this for granted, but our forum has generally been superior in terms of user contributions than alot of forums of similar sized clubs.

 
The selfish thing to do would be to just walk away. Or to give the site over to a random person. Imagine if this had been your baby project for over a decade. Would you just hand it over to some random person? 
 
No. 
 
I'm not saying it is the case that Steve is looking for new ownership. But if he were, I assume he wouldn't want to hand it over to someone without 1) Ensuring that person genuinely had the skills to look after and maintain the forum, 2) that the person is in it for the long haul. We don't want someone to take over, lose interest in a year, and be in the same position 3) Has the financial capacity to plug things if there is a gap in subscriptions, like Steve has admitted to doing (the oh very selfish man). These things take time to find the right person(s).
 
We just need to be patient for a little longer, don't throw our toys out, and especially -don't add further stress, and we will have an answer soon enough

Well said but Steve could help himself by being more transparent about the problems we're having and what he is doing to try and fix them. Are they fixable or are we riding a bum steer?

If he needs help then he should ask for help, there is no shame in sharing the load. This site has moved on from being a personal enterprise.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

This is the first time in about 5 days I’ve got past the home page. It’s like being constantly stuck in the friend zone. 

yeah, I got on once about a week ago. Posted, got a 502 error and couldn't be arsed to retype :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep working perfect today!

I’m just hoping it all gets fixed before the PL actually starts! As echoed by others would be sad to see this site go, this is where I go to get my saints fix!

Thanks Steve for working behind the scenes (if you are!!)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I've been giving the site a good thrashing this evening as it's the first time I've really seen it working ok and I want to get me fivers worth. Loaded around 100 pages without issue so well done whoever sorted that. Oh and a belated 👍 to all the good work in the Pompey takeover saga thread, made me go all nostalgic that did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2020 at 18:37, The Cat said:

Sotonians seems to have an overriding air of smugness about it. It's a no from me.

Not606 is alright though.

It’s run by Pap, wannabe hardman and gangster come Jeremy Cornyn fanboy. Populated by helmets like Verbal, banned from here by his wife, Prone to regular Comedy breakdowns online.  Drunken windbag Franks Cousin, another one prone to ranting although this time after a few too many Sauvignons. Then there was our forum hard man DPS/Unbelievable Jeff and that odd lad who  used to moan a lot about his job On here and started making cheesecakes. It’s certainly a strange gathering of people. 

Edited by Turkish
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Still very slow accessing the lounge. Main forum is fine though. 

They should merge everything into one IMO. People are free not to click on crap they don’t want to read about Trump etc. Personally that is more interesting to me than most of bs about Saints

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})